Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 10 0.81%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 103 8.31%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 196 15.82%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 186 15.01%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 744 60.05%
Voters: 1239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th June 2020, 13:26   #241
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

We have a 2012 A-Star Automatic which is 78000KM old and will last till regn last. Recently bought a used 2016 Nano XTA for NCR only use while deploying AStar for the intercity travel like Delhi to Haridwar, Delhi to Mathura, Delhi to Chandigarh etc.

I am going to keep running them till the regn allows.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:33   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Why are the maintenance bills consistently this high for the last 2-3 years ? Any accidents or is 30k the cost of routine service?

I'm using a Swift Vdi with nearly similar odometer readings and age, and my maintenance costs are currently approx 10k per year.
Many wear and tear items needed replacements - like AC condenser, some of the suspension components, brake discs, clutch plate, headlights, etc. May be I am a little over-enthusiastic in part replacements. But still the car is not completely rattle/squeek free.
Old 16th June 2020, 12:58   #243
BHPian

As a family we hold on to our cars for more than 10 years. We had a 2000 model Zen which we kept for 12 years and clocked close to 1,10,000km on it, Our current steed is a Swift Dzire Vxi, purchased in 2010. The car is 10 year old and we don't plan to sell the car anytime soon. My parents have plans to add a new automatic car to the garage soon. My personal vehicle is an 2016 Elite i20 and it is currently 4 year old. I plan to keep the car for long as it is my first car and holds sentimental values .
Old 16th June 2020, 17:21   #244

We keep our cars for about 3 years and usually sell them just before 1 lac kilometres, as it gets us a good price in the market. Our longest car is the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4 that we have kept for 150000+ Kms now. Being a Mitsubishi the car seems (and is) unbreakable. Sold 2013 Audi A6 2.0D, and 2016 Audi Q5 2.0D recently both in their 90,000+ range. They were not giving us any problems per-se, but we wanted to get rid of them anyway. The Q5 was way too outdated for the time and A6 wasn't engaging enough, and we wanted an SUV anyway.
Driving a Wrangler Rubicon right now ( My rubicon was the first in India, instead of the one in Bangalore, I picked mine up on 22 May 2020 ). I will write about it as a post soon. Planning to keep it for 5 years at least.
Old 16th June 2020, 18:57   #245
BHPian

Voted for 10+ years

Both my cars Fortuner & Liva are 7 years old and planning to keep it as long as possible.

Moreover as another bhpian mentioned, I too get attached emotionally with my cars and don't let go that easily.
Old 17th June 2020, 02:02   #246
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 10+ years.

My Best turned 9 this May and while a few part failures have crept in over the last couple of years, it still feels very nice to drive. I was planning on replacing it next year but in Jan my workplace shut down due to the death of my boss and mentor and now with the Covid situation it will take some time to get the cash together for a new car so it makes sense to repair or replace parts as required an keep the car for a couple more years.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:54   #247
BHPian

My youngest is a 6 year old Linea T-Jet. The rest are positively pre-historic starting with a 82 Bullet 350 CI, 86 Gypsy MG410, and finally a first gen Swift that will turn 15 in November. It's amazing how a little TLC and some preventive maintenance will keep vehicles as old as mine happily chugging along, and I have invested way too much in modifying them so don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.
Old 18th June 2020, 00:11   #248
BHPian

It really depends for me. I like to hold on to good cars, that, as Mary Kondo would say, 'give me joy'!
I still have and use almost daily, my 8yr old Polo 1.6 petrol, and would not want to sell it ever! Still have my grandad's '98 maruti 800, although barely used as it is in a different city.
On the other hand, we got a new duster AWD in 2017 as a family car, and we can't wait to get rid of it! It's on a company lease and would be un-wise to opt out now. It's of really low build quality, and clutch-gear is painful. We hate it so much (for city use, it's actually nice on highways) that we sent it to my mother-in-laws, and bought a 12 yr old civic automatic for our regular commute!
As a rule, I like to keep the new/newish family cars for long, and change my used hobby/fun cars often (can't afford multiple at the same time!).
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:52   #249
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted 10 years +

Although none of the cars owned by me stayed that long. The first car May 2009 Indica Vista was parted with during May 2016 for reliability issues where as the 2016 Ciaz fell victim to flash floods during Aug 2019.

The Sept 2019 Ciaz, my present car; I sincerely hope to retain it to the length I crave for.
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:05   #250
BHPian

Voted 10+ years.

My first and current car is in its 9th year and will surely go into the 10th year or even beyond, given the current economic situation. My father has used his Maruti 800 for about 15+ years himself!
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:37   #251
BHPian

voted for 10+ years.

I tend to keep stuff till their end of life or it's lost, be it the fountain pen that I received as a gift in school or the car I drive. I get attached to things and becomes sentimental. I have felt that, once you get used to something it's hard to part with it and try new.

There is also that typical middle class mentality to get maximum use out of things so that you don't spend more money. It is because of that I buy better stuff at the premium it demands and in turn 9/10 times I get the intended use and more from them. Also the fact that I bought my car on a loan with term of 15 years helps. By the time I pay it off, my car will be needing registration renewal.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 10:17   #252
BHPian

Voted 10+ years.
Renewed my 2004 zen's registration last year and she is good for another 5 years. She s on her third party insurance since last few years. Has done 280k kmsand would go much stronger if i used her daily. Restoration plns are on card for sure and so is a detailed ownership/memoirs thread. Current honda city is at 43k in 2.5 years and is at service station for 6th scheduled service as I type. Have got extended warranty upto 2024 and while many people change cars in 3 years, I feel she s just getting to know my family well. I detest modern electronically controlled mchines a lot and she feels just right for a mix of sensor based tech and old school reliable simple mechanic friendliness.
The kind of roads we now have, i am sure she d go on forever.
Entsurgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 11:19   #253
BHPian

Voted for 8-9 years. My last car was Indica V2 and that car was 10 years old when I sold it.

The current car, Vista D90, is close to 8 years old now. It is still going strong. But I wanted to either replace this or buy a second car for my wife. My reasoning being that replace a car while its still in good condition and can fetch a fair exchange price. But now with the current situation, I think I will hold on to it for another 2 years.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:41   #254
Senior - BHPian

Voted 10+ years because its a Lexus. The next one would not be a traditionally powered car for sure. Tesla most likely.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:11   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My i10 is 11 years old, but has covered only 50k kms. Still feels and drives like new.

I am in no mood to let it go anytime soon. I may hold on to it even after 15 years.

I am loving the EMI free life, low insurance premiums and low maintenance costs.

Also, I enjoy driving an old car even more because you don't have to be extra cautious while driving and parking it.

Rohan
Your post resonated with my sentiments Rohan!
My Jazz is 8 years old and has run ~ 33k Kms.
Still feels brand new and premium. So comfortable to drive. Absolutely no niggles whatsoever, touchwood!

The EMI tenure of 7 years got over last November. Insurance premium is not high, a mileage of 15 kmpl in a traffic high city like Bangalore and Honda's servicing is definitely economical! In other words, my Jazz sits very lightly on my wallet.

I have a lot of sentiment attached with it too - I even sometimes speak with it!
And the Jazz is prone to mood swings too: On any given day, I can feel when it is ready and purring to blaze the roads or when it is definitely reluctant and does not appreciate even moving out of our basement

We've formed a beautiful relationship - Me and my Jazz!

I'm intending to keep it with me forever. (Voted for 10+ years!)

Last edited by WAM-4 : 8th July 2020 at 13:14.

Most Viewed