Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 22:58   #271
Team-BHP Support

October 2015 BMW 3 GT. (~5 YRS): I plan to hold on to this as long as it lasts - maybe total 9-12 years.

June 2018 i10 A/T: (2 yrs 2 months): Will hold on till it comes apart. A small automatic car is always handy to have. The only reason I can imagine selling is if I want to vacate the parking it occupies for any reason because other automobiles have come in its place. Even then it's unlikely as I can always keep it in Pune where I have a place.

Bikes. I have no idea on this. It is way too impulsive. I do know that bikes will get added to the garage before my existing Tiger gets upgraded. One addition is already on its way. Cannot rule out yet another being added over next few years.
Old 27th August 2020, 08:55   #272
BHPian

I have a 2015 global Fiesta Titanium, remapped.
There isn't any car out there (that I can afford) that could replace it in being evn half nice a driver's car, so I plan to keep it for as long as it lasts. Secondarily, it's running as smooth and tight as it ran on day 0, absolutely no rattles and everything about it feels as good. So no reason to replace it in the near future.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 09:46   #273
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Almost 7 years now and I do want to change but have things going on in life that isn't letting me get a new car right now. Might have some more clarity by next year and then I'd like to make a purchase.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:28   #274
Senior - BHPian

My car is already 11 years, but only 36k km old. Bike is two decades old. I myself am six decades old! Bike FC was renewed this year. I plan to renew the FC of car in '24 and use it for five more years,till I nudge 70. If I decide to continue driving, perhaps I will renew the FC once again or may be my son who is in college now will gift me a car! Let us see.

There was a big objection from my mom and wife when I planned for a new bike last year. They wanted me to get rid of even the current bike and go only by car. So I postponed the idea and renewed the FC, then Covid 19 happened. All bets are off for any new vehicle as of now.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:49   #275
BHPian

Bike - 10 years
1st Car - 9 years (Sold post that)
Intend to keep the current car until 15 years mark but if I have to shift to NCR then 10 year diesel ban would be a bummer for me !!
Old 27th August 2020, 11:09   #276
BHPian

I have a 5+ years old Ciaz ZXI.

It was a impulsive decision to buy Ciaz, I had gone to test drive a swift and tried Ciaz also.

We were impressed by the back seat comfort it offers and decided to go for it.
I have an emotional attachment to the car as well and decided not to sell it for any reason.

I earlier had a Ikon Flair used it for 4+ years, Ford Figo first Gen 4+ years, Hyundai EON 4+ years. Ciaz is my fourth car and going to stay with me

Only concern is handling, Ciaz is no match for a Figo or a Flair. I am not confident to take it beyond 100 speed. Figo was a rock solid car and I miss it.
vinukm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:23   #277
Senior - BHPian

My car is Getz 1.3: 13 years old, planning to sell it before the FC expires in 2022.

Bike:
Suzuki Fiero: 2 decades old, no plan to sell.
Honda CBR 250: 9 years old, will sell and go for an adventure bike once I can spare time during weekends.

I prefer to maintain vehicles well and use it as long as I can. Difficult to sell once I get emotionally attached to the vehicle.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:07   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I have a 2015 global Fiesta Titanium, remapped.
There isn't any car out there (that I can afford) that could replace it in being evn half nice a driver's car, so I plan to keep it for as long as it lasts. Secondarily, it's running as smooth and tight as it ran on day 0, absolutely no rattles and everything about it feels as good. So no reason to replace it in the near future.
We have a 2011 version here in Kerala, same great build quality and still rides great. Suspension and steering rack had to be changed, par for the course in a rural area with terrible roads in certain places, this was after 8 years. No real replacement around and SUVs are on the table whenever we plan to sell it.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:30   #279
BHPian

I have a 12 year old i10, done 82k km
and a 5 year old i20 diesel, done 72k km

I like the i10. It's perfect for a quick trip to the shops, you can park it anywhere and it's very low maintenance. I'll probably keep it for its full 15 years.

I'm in a dilemma whether to sell the i20. It's in mint condition, but the 10 year rule means it's value will drop off a cliff from next year.

So either I sell it now and get some money and upgrade to a Seltos/Creta or stick with it for the next 5 years.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:33   #280

1) Renault Duster RxL (Option) 85ps -
Month of Purchase - Mid JUNE 2014
Odometer reading as on the date - 114xxx km
Duration of Ownership till date - 6 years 2 months and few days
Current intention is to keep "Dusty" running till its registration certificate is valid. I'll review my intention when I would have to renew its registration in June 2029.

2) Bajaj Pulsar 180 Dtsi -
Month of Purchase - September 2009
Odometer reading as on the date - 53xxx km
Duration of Ownership till date ~ 11 years
I intend to keep Pulsar for lifetime as it won't fetch me even 10000 Rs. and in addition I have my college memories associated with it.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:33   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
We have a 2011 version here in Kerala, same great build quality and still rides great. Suspension and steering rack had to be changed, par for the course in a rural area with terrible roads in certain places, this was after 8 years. No real replacement around and SUVs are on the table whenever we plan to sell it.
Good for you mate. I am a minority in India, I don't think raising a car to 200mm is required for our roads, so all the SUVs are kind of off my list, it gives you body roll and ruins the fun in cornering. My Fiesta has just run 34k KMs and going forward I am seeing even lesser usage, so wear and tear parts should last longer in terms of time. Also, the resale of this car isn't good, another deterrent in making sale plans. Plus, for me, even before that, I see all driver's car disappearing in the cloud of ground clearance, shiny touchscreens and panoramic sunroofs, so there is no good replacement for the Fiesta south of the 3 series, so sometimes when I think about it, I think I will just get an Alto or an electric small car (Altroz or smaller) to replace it (whenever it dies) as my daily driver and for those long trips, would get any car of choice from rental services. All the Lineas and the JTPs are long gone.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:43   #282
BHPian

My list of cars..
March 2002, Zen LXi, 1,80,000+ on the ODO. It's a Fun Little Buggy, easy to drive in the city. Beater Car.
November 2007, Swift VXi, 1,70,000+ on the ODO: Still going strong.. Great Car. Peppy and Zips through the city traffic.
May 2008, Sx4 VXi, 1,50,000 on the ODO: Used only for highway drives. Planning to Change it Soon.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 15:12   #283
BHPian

Have this since Jan 2001. Registration renewed one in 2016. Running on LPG (predominantly) since 2008. Still can't give it up .
Only if there was a way to make it BS6 compliant!

PS: Drive safe, even if at 120kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-screenshot_2020082714553174.jpg  

Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-1558166468274.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:56   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Have this since Jan 2001.
She is definitely a keeper. My uncle(mother's brother) bought it in beige color in April 2000 when I was a kid. He sold it soon to invest in real estate(within 6 months, I suppose). I can't express how heartbroken I was.
Zen Lx was in vogue variant then with honeycomb grille as yours.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:07   #285
BHPian

I have my Chevy Cruze in its 10th year. Never thought I would keep it this long. Considering the current resale prices and the cost of a comparable new car, Looks like I will be keeping this car for next 5 years or more.
However, I will replace this car sooner if I can get a new Electric car with 500KM highway range in 20L price bracket.

Most Viewed