Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 10:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Our i20 CRDi will turn 10 this month end. I will keep it as long as I can. Have lot of sweet memories and trips associated with it!
ODO now stands @ 1.33 Lakh kms.

Recently, got all 4 brake calipers replaced since they were rattling due to wear and tear, new steering rack and EPS motor. Upgraded to brake pads to Mintex semi metallic ones.

The fog lamp bulbs are upgraded to high power LED's which make highway rides a bliss in conjunction with the better bulbs on the main lamps

The car is running dual channel tuning box, so power is not a problem. It makes around 110BHP in P2 Mode. The main Achilles heel is the soft rear suspension that results in the wallow bouncy ride over undulations. I am planning to fix it with upgraded rear shock absorber this month as a 10th year gift

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 10th June 2020 at 10:54.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 10:45   #17
BHPian

Voted for 4-5 years.

My current car - Wagon R - was need of the time. Yet, my salary wasn't much, I had major Home Loan liability. So not just the purchasing but running cost was also major factor in selecting car. And it had to be a family car. Wagon R in CNG guise checked all the boxes. It is all rounder family car - no doubt!

But with time it's become too small for us. CNG tank eats up luggage space entirely, hence it's impractical for outstation trips. Plus even today I can't afford to maintain 2 cars. Hence I wanted to replace it with more practical driver's car, this year (age 4). The pandemic has delayed the decision. May be next year
akshye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Out of our 7 earlier cars, only Swift managed to hang on till 5 years, rest of them had extremely short duration
i10 - 1 year
Verito - 1 years
Rapid - 2.5 years (TL due to Flood)
Alto - 3 years
Scross - 3 years
Fiesta - 4 years
Swift - 5 years

But this time around i am determined to hang on to our existing cars atleast for min 6-8 years. With both being Petrol cars, i dont see, any regulation that might affect the longevity however with JTP being discontinued, I am expecting about 6-7 years for it. Our other car, the Ford Freestyle, most hopefully should serve for 8-9 years.
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely thread topic! I plan to keep my car for 10 years or more as long as the car doesn't face any terminal issues (its a machine afterall). I intend to keep fiddling with it as time goes, to keep it "new" in the mind all the time. The previous car - I had for 9 years & was in pristine condition pretty much. The only reason I changed is documented in my current car's ownership thread elsewhere so won't go into that.

On a separate line of thought, If the car makers read this thread & see the poll results, we are going to see a sudden surge in the reported cases of cardiac arrests & strokes.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:37   #20
BHPian

Our MS Swift is 6.5 years old and there is already an itch to change it. We wanted , or needed actually to upgrade to a bigger car.
But now with this uncertain future because of the pandemic, that itch has gone.

Discussions from "which car to buy next" have gone to "How to keep job safe and save more".

So we are going to keep the Swift for another 1-2 years now.
Voted for 8+ Years.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

My little BEAT is into 11th year (Delhi). I will keep it for another 4 years

My little KWID is into 5th year (Kochi). I will keep it for another ~5 more years.

My tiny M800 is into 23rd year (Kochi). No plan to sell it all. She's yet to hit 50000 Kms.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:40   #22
BHPian

My Fluidic Verna CRDI turned 5.5 yrs old. ODO stands at 2,28,000. Currently no plans to sell it. Recently got all the brake pads changed, the steering rack replaced and a new windshield. It is still on stock clutch. Will get that changed soon. It still runs like a dream, munches miles effortlessly and can take some serious abuse.

Also Hyundai’s ownership has been fuss free. Would love to upgrade to an Octavia, but alas after this covid situation, I’m going to stick with my baby for as long as it keeps running. Also I have had some amazing times with her, am too attached to let her go.

On the other hand, wife’s Tiago XZA completed 2 years with the ODO at 12,500kms. She’s going to stay with us for a long time. Mechanically zero issues and is used as a city only car.

Dad’s Alto800 is 6.5 years old with the ODO at 33,000kms. Mechanically and even aesthetically she’s in a pristine condition but we’ll be letting go off her this year end since dad will not be driving much. In case of the need, the Tiago serves the purpose.

P.S:- I voted wrong. Wanted to click 10 years.
drhoneycake is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 8 to 9 years. Would have gone for 10+ but we haven't held on to any cars for that long till date, so went with the next best answer i.e. 8 to 9 years.

BMW X3 30d - Age 4.5 years - - The car has aged beautifully, with no major faults till date. The car feels absolutely new even now and the engine and gear box are as smooth and powerful as on day one. I recently upgraded to sweet 19" alloys too. The 5 year warranty expiry is coming up at the end of this year. With running costs below expectations and satisfactory service support from BMW, I am not fearful of the post warranty ownership. In fact I am looking forward to getting a few upgrades done post warranty to spice things up! Another point is that big 6 cylinder engines are becoming rarer and more expensive. After such a combo, 4 pots just won't do!

VW Polo GTI - Age close to 3 years - I am nowhere close to getting bored with this one. Even if I sell, what do I replace it with? I will hold on to this one till finances allow me to splurge on something meaner and faster

Hyundai i10 AT - Age 8 years - Our errands car. The car barely goes outside a 3 km radius. Zero faults to date. Other than a worn steering, the interiors are holding up fine. The exteriors have a few scratches here and there but not really bothersome. I might just run this car to ground.

VW Polo GT TSI - Age 6 years - My personal car for when I visit my work place in another city. No major faults as such and despite the delicate DSG and suspension components, is proving to be a good workhorse. No plans to change for another 3 to 4 years.
Santoshbhat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:00   #24
BHPian

10+ years (actually 15 years). We have two cars - 2004 Honda City Gxi and a 2020 Maruti Swift. The Swift was bought after exchanging our 2006 Maruti Alto. Given the 15 year time limit for petrol cars in NCR, we will be driving our new Swift till 2035. Unfortunately, the Honda is already deregistered and there is no way to make it street legal again.

Looking forward to replacing the City in 2021. The new sedan will again be kept for 15 years.
Old 10th June 2020, 12:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 6-7 years. My Hexa is 2.5 years old now. Will change it the moment I can afford a Fortuner.

Xcent is 5 years old already. It was bought by my dad and have a lot of memories associated with it; especially the first 2 years where Dad was also with us. So will keep it till the government allows.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:15   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Preferably for as long as we can. We bought my wife’s Fiesta when we returned back to the Netherlands from our years in India. When we bought it, it was just under a year old with very low mileage.

Till then all of my wife’s cars tended to be a lot older when we bought them. This time she really wanted the latest model, and also there were some features she really wanted. (e.g. front window heating). So we got her this one.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...ion-fleet.html (Moving back to Netherlands and a new addition to the fleet!)

It has been running flawlessly for the last four years. It has done about 66.000 km by now and it still looks and feels as pristine as the day were picked it up from the dealer.

I have always enjoyed all our previous Fiesta’s. But I will admit this is by far the nicest of the bunch.

With just regular maintenance I don’t see why this little car could not run well pass 200.000 km. Which should last us a very long time.

Mind you, we recently became grand parents and my wife is shuttling back and forth to our daughterEllen and grand daughter Bella on an almost daily basis, raking up about 100 km a day!!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

My punto is 9 years and counting, given the current financial situation, it's going to be at least 3 years before I consider a replacement. It hasn't been a pain in the last 2 years as major repairs were done in the 5th and 6th years. The only problem is how long fiat service will be around.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:28   #28
BHPian

Well the plan was 7 years minimum. But I think I'll be replacing my vehicle in 5-6 years. The requirements have changed over time and I think once the financial situation becomes more steady, I might be on the lookout again. I doubt I'll hold two cars at the same time, but time shall tell.
Old 10th June 2020, 12:30   #29
BANNED

We usually rotate our cars in a span of 5 -7 years majorly because we are located in a location with no authorised service centres and so maintenance is always an issue for us. But when it comes to my TATA Safari 'The beast', it is rock solid even after seven years. It has its own share of niggles but as on date I can't find a worthy replacement to it which would give me the same feelings so probably will enjoy it for another 3 odd years.
Old 10th June 2020, 12:54   #30
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
My punto is 9 years and counting, given the current financial situation, it's going to be at least 3 years before I consider a replacement. It hasn't been a pain in the last 2 years as major repairs were done in the 5th and 6th years. The only problem is how long fiat service will be around.
I'm in love with my 2011 Punto and have no reason to replace it except for the worrying question in my mind: How long Fiat would support with spares?

Otherwise the Punto is a keeper. I'll definitely hold on for 10+ years on the calendar or 2 lakh kms on the odometer. The resale value is anyway abysmal. I might as well enjoy using it.
tud is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks