Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 10 0.81%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 103 8.31%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 196 15.82%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 186 15.01%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 744 60.05%
Voters: 1239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th June 2020, 12:57   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

My Punto Evo 1.4 turns 5 in a month.

I plan to keep it running as long as I/it can. There's no point selling it, add to the fact that its a 1.4 petrol.
The car has given no problems in the 53k odd km thus far, with the only major expense being in the form of rat bites inside engine bay.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:06   #32
BHPian

If my car is serving me well then I dont need to sell it all all.

All my rides are currently more than 8 yrs old - Honda city iVtec 2012 model, Pajero SFX 2009 model and Fortuner 2010 model. I might add another one but that will be a pre-loved ride and is already 10yr old. Will hold onto everyone until emission norms render my cars unusable.
Heart_Revs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:10   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Alto that I still have is in its 15th year.
XUV is completing 8th year in 2-3 weeks and is going really strong. Would easily drag it for another 4-5 years minimum unless the maintenance becomes too much.

So voted for 10+.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:19   #34
BHPian

I always buy a car new or used, with the genuine intention of keeping it for 5-8 years atleast. But then something else catches my fancy and I sell it of, sometimes within a year. It's not because I didnt like the car, its just because I cant afford another one.

I have owned 14 cars in 16 years But i have loved them all, pampered a lot, fantastic machines with their own set of strengths. Given a choice, I would have kept each and every one of them, if I had finance to indulge. Hopefully the Duster will be there for the long run, since there isn't something like it in the market.
Old 10th June 2020, 13:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

My car - Fiat Punto is almost 7 years old. Since no one would buy it, I intend to keep it for life and if feasible do a then and now photoshoot with my wife 10-15 years down the line

No I am kidding! I love my car and that's why I will retain it for many more years if not the whole life.

Btw mods, I voted on the wrong option. Anyway it can be changed?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:22   #36
KPR
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Based on my previous possessions and current car I would say holding on to a car depends on what car we purchase. I owned a swift diesel. Except engine and gear box I got fed up with the rattles, feel of lack of safety due it's build quality, lack of bite in brake. So I thought I should move on to a new one after driving it for 80k close to 4 years. Then purchased a punto and in love with it even after 4.5 years like my first day with it. Now I'm enjoying both the punch of MJD engine and suits my preferences better than swift in long term. By and large I'm satisfied with this purchase and planning to hold on to 10+ years. Divorcing a car isn't costly. But loving one for long is quite a task. It takes a few failed attempts to understand what we need.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:22   #37
BHPian

I have two cars, 2005 Maruti 800 and 2014 City.
City serves my purpose very well, may sell it next year as I am looking for an Automatic. I have a habit of keeping the cars as long as they are trouble free, number of years doesnt bother me much.
Old 10th June 2020, 13:28   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

My cars are not sold according to age, but for a variety of unrelated reasons.

1. Does not serve my usage patterns: So I sold my Premier President because I was driving 150 km daily for work, and it wasn't a very reliable car.

2. Bad driving / maintenance experience: My Indica DLS. Enough said.

3. Physically unable to use the car: My backache at one time made sure I couldn't get into the low-slung Accent Viva or, before that, the Zen, so I had to change cars.

4. The government: The 10- and 15-year rule made sure I had to sell 2 of my most favourite (and longest owned) cars - my Scorpio and Swift.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 13:36   #39
BHPian

Voted for the last option: 10+ years

Our current car - MS Swift will turn 10 this August and I'm planning to keep it for another 3-4 years. It drives very well and returns a good mileage too, all credits to the 1.3 MJD. No major expenses till date and it works perfectly alright.
Old 10th June 2020, 14:42   #40
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 10 years or higher.

Our 2014 Honda City is in its 7th year now, no plans to sell it anytime soon. It is used by my parents as a daily driver.

My Vento 1.6 MPI is a pre owned example and is 9+ years old. It is my daily driver and I plan to keep it for another 2 years at the bare minimum.

All previous cars have served the family for 10+ years, except the CRV 2.4 AWD that I owned breifly. It was a pre owned example and was in perfect condition. I do regret selling it but I was barely using the car. It was just parked in the garage so considered selling it off. The CRV completed 15 years this March, glad that the new owner is doing justice to the car.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:25   #41
BHPian

My current car a 2010 Honda Civic is 10 years old. I planned to keep it till 15 years mark however it has developed an AC issue which I am not able to sort and looks like I will have to change my plan of keeping it till 15 years and will be selling it before the next summers. If by any miracle the AC issue is resolved I will keep the car till 15 years mark and will keep my fingers crossed that NGT allows me to keep it beyond that. This would have been the second car I would own for more then 5 years out of total 10 cars which I have owned so far. The first one was a Ford Fiesta.

Last edited by nik0502 : 10th June 2020 at 15:27.
Old 10th June 2020, 15:32   #42
BHPian

My current ride is a 2014 Xcent S Petrol with current odo reading of 63.5k kms. Except A/C issues couple of times around 2018, I never had any issues and for my running it's just perfectly fine.

I usually buy used cars and sell them every few years. But the previous car had given us lot of issues so we decided to buy new car as main ride and keep used ones for me.

This was my first new car and a one that's close to my heart. I bought it to ferry my wife and son for therapy and I have had lot of memory attached to it. I bought it only for my kid and now that my kid is no more, the car reminds me a lot about him and there is no way I'm going to let this go anytime soon.
xcentrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:58   #43
BHPian

Have a '13 GT TSI. 7 years & 70k kms on, it drives like new, is very responsive and rattle free. No plans to sell it as of now. I may get a bigger car but this will still be the primary city commute vehicle. Should hold on to it till 2027. Voted 10+.

Had a Swift LDI before this which lasted 6 years and 90k kms. Had to give it away due to a recurrent AC problem which just couldn't be repaired.

Last edited by cpabhijit : 10th June 2020 at 17:01. Reason: added a line
Old 10th June 2020, 17:26   #44
BANNED

Ten years and more.
I have a 12 year old Fiesta 1.6 S and a 10 year old Fabia 1.4 Tdi.
I intend to keep the Fiesta S for much longer because the engine feels like new even at 90,000 km. Took a trip to the Nilgiri hills a few months ago and it still managed to amaze me on the fast, tight twisties. A sharp paint job may be a good way to reward the old faithful.
The Fabia is quite another story. Comfortable and planted when she is fine but throws the odd tantrum. Not the best example of VFM but still a mini tank that I am proud to own. Drives like new again but may have to let her go by this year end.

Last edited by fiestarry : 10th June 2020 at 17:27.
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:37   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 10 years. My thought process has changed over the years. Initially was buying pre-owned cars and max I held a car was for 4 years. My first new car was my 4th car and it was a car that I made peace with and now its close to 7 years and I don't feel a need to upgrade at all. So expect to run it to 10 years-Assuming no bank breaking repairs come up considering it is a Volkswagen and a DSG.

Also, I think I am going back to the pre-owned route when I upgrade next which may result in more frequent upgrade cycle.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th June 2020 at 17:39.

Most Viewed