Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 10 0.81%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 103 8.31%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 196 15.82%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 186 15.01%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 744 60.05%
Voters: 1239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2020, 10:00   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Voted on behalf on my dad, he owns a 2011 Swift Zdi run 90000 and he intends to keep it forever Why ?

- Low maintenance ( no failed parts so far ), Clutch was changed at 40000 KM, Tyres were changed at 45000 KM
- The 2011 Swift ages well and still looks smart and stylish compared to the current gen Swift
- He is retiring this year and has no plans to spend his savings on a depreciating asset
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:05   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for 10 year +.

We have always held on to our cars for close to a decade or more. Only recently we were forced to sell in this 8-10 year period due to the NGT rule in NCR. So going forward it is just not possible to keep a diesel car for more than the allowed time frame.

My garage today has a 320d which is in its 7th year now and going strong. Infact I have already purchased a BSI plan for it which covers the car till 10years/1L kms. The other car is a petrol Ecosport AT which is now in its 4th year and would most likely be there for a long long time with us.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:12   #78
MCR
BHPian

I would normally change my cars between 3-5 years for variety of reasons, sometimes just to reward myself for some accomplishment.

I love my present car and plan to keep it for another 4 years atleast. I have decided that my next car should be a BMW!
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

I chose 8-9 years as that is what I would have liked although with my present car, I think it will go further as I had bought it for the long run.

My previous car was a Figo 1.2 and was with me for 7 years and the present one a diesel Aspire which is 3 years old and I am hoping to keep for 10+ years provided running a diesel car is not banned down the line.

On the other hand, my father's cars have all seen long years as he gets used to them and then finds it difficult to adjust to another car.

Maruti 800- 96'-2010
Swift Lxi- 2005-present. This one will turn 15 years in another week.

Not to forget my RE Bullet which is a 2002 model and still being used and done over a lakh kms and is going to be with me always.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:23   #80
BHPian

C'mon guys, where are the rich people who sell "barely used" 3-year-old cars to cheapsters like me? This thread is at ~70% for 10 years of ownership!

I have to sell two of my cars due to relocation to another country, and both were less than 5 years old. Wiser from the experience, currently I am driving a used 7-year-old Honda city I bought last year. There is no reason I should be selling it anytime soon.

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 11th June 2020 at 10:25. Reason: syntax
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

I voted 10+ years.
I'll keep R3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...o-s10-4x4.html (Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4)) for more than 10 years if better sense prevails on NGT.

I rather like my better half's Toyota "Baleno". It's a no-nonsense fun to drive hatch, and it's really been a long time since we had a hatch that was this low slung (the last one was the 2 door coupe civic in the States). We'll keep it for as long as possible.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:31   #82
BHPian

Voted for 8-9 yrs old. I believe in purchasing the best per current financial situation and hence don’t either undercut or overcut specified budget .. I got my Chevy Beat Diesel in 2013 and at 1L + kms, it is being used by my brother for within city office commutes. My current ride Nexon XZA + DT, was purchased in 2018 and at 30k KMS + is going strong. Chances are this will be my primary ride for the next 4-5 yrs , post which it will be relegated to a beater car status and I can move on per my financial situation at that point in time.. I don’t believe in retaining vehicles for 10 yrs or 15 yrs unless they have a sentimental value or they are awesome once in a lifetime cars.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:34   #83
BHPian

Voted for 10 years plus.

Reason- Sentimental value and the bond which you develop with your vehicle over a period of time. Your vehicle serves you faithfully during your high as well as low phase, so why go for a change too soon. Cars being manufactured these days can last a really long time if kept well.

Moreover, more often than not, newer models which are being launched every now and then, offer marginally more features like push-start/stop button, reverse camera, sun-roof, touch screen Infotainment system, etc. which just increases the oomph factor, but does not add something substantial to the product. Moreover, splurging on a depreciating asset every few years does not make much sense. It's better to hold on to your beloved vehicle for a decade before finally upgrading.
However, it's true that the NGT order in Delhi/NCR is likely to affect the decision of people holding on to their cars for long.

My garage comprises of the following 2 cars viz.-:
(1) Toyota Corolla 2004
(2) Volkswagen Polo 1.2 MPI 2010.

Since my Corolla has already passed the 15 years limit imposed by NGT, hence it's re-sale is abysmal at present and as people advise me, it's time to scrap it for peanuts. But my family has an emotional attachment with it and I do not wish to part with any time soon, and no, it's not lying idle in my garage. I drive it daily for around 8-10 kms and trust me Toyota's can last a lifetime. It is still rock solid and the AC is a chiller in this maddening heat.

My other car VW Polo will be turning 10 this September and I am planning to upgrade it, primarily due to its age, although it has barely clocked 60k kms over a decade and also due to NGT ruling since it's resale value is going to crash very soon once it crosses a decade.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:40   #84
BHPian

I keep all my cars till their life ends:
Santro 2005 : 15 years
Jazz 2010: 10 years
City 2016: 4 years old
Old 11th June 2020, 10:48   #85

Voted for 8-9 years.

My Chevy Beat of 2010 run about 75k kms was traded for S-Cross 1.3 Zeta in 2017 only because of Chevy's exit from India. Otherwise Beat was a very sensible and well built City car.

Bro had a 2001 Esteem VXi run 80+k kms which was traded for a pre-worshiped 2013 SX4 ZDi in 2017.

Now, S-Scross is at 42k kms and SX4 is at 72k, both going strong. We don't see them exiting our garage anytime sooner than 2025 as usage in the recent months has gone down owing to Covid situation.
Pro-grammer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:52   #86

Voted 10+ years

I had my previous SUV Scorpio for 13 years.

Currently have an Swift already crossing 7+ years and nearing 1 lakh mark.

So I ensure the vehicles are kept in top notch. And they inturn serve me for long years.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:53   #87
BHPian

Voted for 10 years or more.

I own 2018 Abarth Punto. And I don't want to let it go anytime soon. It is my dream car. I will ensure to take appropriate care for long association with the car. For me, it is a modern classic.

I am planning to buy a mid-size SUV by 2022, which shall serve us in our regular family road trips. With limited luggage space, Abarth isn't the best option for long family vacations.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:56   #88
VVN
BHPian

Voted for 8-9 years but may very well exceed 10. I am in love with my City and I am not at all distracted by the recent CSUV fad. Got this habit from my dad who owned 2 vehicles - Commander and M800. Both were kept for 11 years and immaculately maintained. We had to let go of the Commander purely because it had no doors and my brother was too young to be sitting in it. Sigh!
Old 11th June 2020, 11:01   #89
BHPian

Voted for 10 years or more.

Our first car was a 2008 Maruti 800 Std which we kept for 7 years, until we got our second car, the Honda Jazz in 2015. The car was not exchanged, but sold to our uncle who lives next door, who in turn exchanged it for a Santro in 2020. So, in a way, we could be near to our car and use it as well sometimes, till its 12th year. Our Jazz will complete its 5th year in just a few months, and we intend to keep it for another 5 years or so. We may purchase a sub 25L car this year, and going by the way they depreciate so quickly in the initial years, we want a sturdy vehicle which we can keep for 10 years or more without much fuss.

It becomes hard to part with a vehicle so soon because of the emotional attachment that we begin to have once we drive it. It was a sad moment to let the Maruti 800 go, and that is one reasons why we do not want to exchange our Jazz for a new vehicle any time soon.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 11:05   #90
BHPian

We have had a mixed bag of experiences. The only new car which was sold at 6 years was the Manza. We may sell off the Ciaz once it completes 5-6 years but I am in no mood to sell off the 7-year-old GT unless there is really really a worthy successor. The current benchmarks are the Skoda Octavia & the Kodiaq (if the launch the diesel again for the Kodiaq)
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed