Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 11:06   #91
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Bought the first car in my family a month ago and I'm going to keep this car for less than a year, but voted for 10+ years. Let me explain.

We have known the need for a car in our family for the last couple of years but with a child already and another on the way, it was time we got our first car. Since I'm planning on moving out of the country from next year, for at least a couple of years, it didn't make sense to buy an enthusiasts car. Rather bought a Tiago for it's safety and dare-I-say, fun to drive manners. Had to be an AMT since mother will be driving it. Waiting for the car to cross 2k KMs to get into manual and rev the engine.

But even if I'm not the one driving it, I know my family will keep the car for at least 10 years. When I come back, I plan on getting another Tata car and keeping it for another 10.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:11   #92
BHPian

I voted for 2-3 years. I have a 2 year old EcoSport and a 3 year old Vento TSI, both of which are running fine.

However I have the itch to switch to electric as soon as there are good options available. The acceleration and driving experience of electrics is unmatched in the ICE world. I expect that in a couple of years we will have a good range of electrics and that's when I'll have to sell off either the vento or the EcoSport.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:11   #93
BHPian

Accidentally voted for 6-7 years... Ideally, if the car was really fun to drive, mod-friendly, and has the features I want, then I'll keep the car as long as the government will allow me to. So 10+ years
Old 11th June 2020, 11:30   #94

I used to change my cars every 3 years, just being a poor financial planner I had an Alto'03, Manza '10, Santro ' 09, Swift '14 all used only for 3 years which was not good financially. Good sense prevailed I am still holding my Celerio '14 and just bought an Alto 800 BS6 and I am planning to keep both these cars for 10 years.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:44   #95
BHPian

Voted for Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old.

We have two cars in family.
Alto Lxi '10 at 60k on odo. Primarily used by my father and still does it's job without any issues. It will complete 10 Years next month and looking to hold off for next couple of years.

Baleno Delta (P) '15 at 40k on odo. Primarily used by me and still drives like new. Plan is to hold it for at least next 5 years as well.

Planning to add another C-SUV which will switch hands in between me and my wife by this year end.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:52   #96

My Xcent SX(O) AT is 55 months old. Always feel the itch to get a new bigger one when its launched. Slowly but surely the BTex of time kills the itch.

In this lockdown, I had to travel long(3.5 K kms) to fetch my family from native and the travel was flawless. Its so important when you don't have support system in place No open roadside repair shops. Gave me a feeling that it has a lot more in it. Ohh yes, I do want to do something for its AC.

So plan to keep it till it makes a century of months. Wish I can hull it for century of K kms too.
Old 11th June 2020, 11:53   #97
BHPian

I have a 7 year loan on my Polo. I will use it till the loan period is over definitely. If the car does not give me trouble, I would love to enjoy 2-3 years of EMI free life.

Also next car I will most definitely not go for such a long term loan.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:06   #98
BHPian

I voted for Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old.

My Zen completed 15 years in Jan 2020 and I got it renewed for another 5 years. I'll keep it till it breaks; or till the government tells me I cant keep it.

Everyone and then I think of buying a car, probably a sedan, from time to time, but when I think about it, I dont need a new car now.

Before the current health crisis, I used to drive on Saturdays and Sundays but now I dont use the Zen at all except for a weekly drive of around 10 kms or so.
jensjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Chose the last option. My Esteem is completing 17 years in Oct while the Civic completed 10 years in March this year. The Esteem is still going strong at 17 and has barely 65k on the odo. The Civic is my daily ride and has clocked 34k till date.

I love both these cars for their own unique characteristics and have no plans to give them off anytime. Of course, one thing that haunts me is the availability of spares as the cars age.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:09   #100
BHPian

Few simple rules for me:
a) Will have just one car at a time. Having multiple cars in a city where I stay in a rented accommodation is a pain to maintain.
b) Even though I would like to buy all cars cashdown, my financial conditions do not permit me to. So, it is always a car loan of 5 years for me.
c) keep the car for around 6 to 7 years, depending on how it runs. Once maintenance requirements escalate to things like suspensions, rubber beading or some other heavy replacements, I prefer to sell off and buy a new car.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:15   #101
BHPian

2-3 years is the longest I have had a car with me.
Since 2010, I have been buying pre-owned cars; used them for an year and sell them off. I don't loose much money. My idea is to own and enjoy as many different cars as possible.
anandkumargb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:18   #102
BHPian

Voted for 10+ years. I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla . Use it as my daily drive to office. And no plans in the near future to sell it. Reason being simple, why change something when it ain't broke. The Corolla is still butter smooth. Just did front suspension work and changed brake pads. Next in line is Bumpers repainting and tyre change. And lastly HU upgrade to touch screen and seat covers. Then its good for another 5 years.
My other cars are 2014 XUV which I might change when the new XUV is launched.
And a Datsun Redigo 2018,which again will be used for a very long time if it stays niggle free like the Corolla.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:32   #103
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take a look at the models we reviewed 7 years ago on this link and you'll see that most of them are competent even by current standards. But again, choosing the right model is key to happy long-term ownership.
Was 'choosing the right model' also supposed to point to a link. Just checking because it's underlined.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:42   #104

I have had a Honda City ZX (2007). It was our first newly bought family car.
The car has been such a gem that there has not occured a thought of selling or replacing it.
It has clocked 1,09,067 kms and has not caused any pain in pockets whatsover.

I believe this one will stay with us forever.

However, looking at the current rapidly updating scenario in terms of Tech, Vehicle Launches, Manufacturers and the ease of owning a vehicle through subscriptions and EMIs I feel the vehicles will only cross the 5 year mark if newly purchased.

Hence, voted for the 6-7 year option.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:42   #105
BHPian

My Baleno will turn 5 in November. Will hold on couple of years, after which I plan to purchase an EV with atleast 500 kms range. 2023 Nexon EV is on my wish list currently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks