Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 12:44   #106
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

I voted for 10 years old or higher.

My Honda Brio 1.2 EXMT is my life's first car purchase immediately after my marriage and we have been to a whole lot of places around Bengaluru and beyond. Its in to the 7th year of ownership now with 49,500-odd on the ODO. It has been 99% niggle free and extremely fantastic to drive even today - both in the city and the highways. I have maintained it really well with proactive maintenance every year. We are a small family and do not need anything larger than a Brio-sized car. So, I plan to keep it for 10 years at least if not 15+.

If at all I need to move on from Brio (which I doubt any time soon), an automatic Tiago would do the job for again 10+ years or more (if TATAs last that long).
Old 11th June 2020, 12:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Until 10 years, because my car will be close enough to it when we change.

The reason people hold on to their cars (or not) differs though, and in my case changes too. I used to want to change every five years, or planned to anyway. My first two were replaced within five years of purchase, but I’m keeping my current car for the following two reasons:
  1. Still feels new: the most important reason. I take pains to maintain my car, but I can’t keep it if my car starts feeling old. This includes rattles, faded or jaded exterior, sad interiors, rust, unreliable in any way, increase in noise/loss of performance, and other intangibles. I don’t mind missing features, they aren’t of primary importance to me. Helps that VW group cars are pretty modular and upgradable.
  2. Planned purchase is expensive: the car I plan to buy is expensive, out of my budget for now, so I’m keeping my current car as advised on the upgrade thread. Will need less of a loan in future, and I’ll be able to keep that car for a decade or more because it is loaded. Knowing car companies, it might get a few additional features in the mean time too - for example, my top end Rapid is now nearer to the Rider variant in terms of features.
Old 11th June 2020, 12:54   #108
BHPian

In our family, we don't part with any vehicle until it becomes a khatara.

The last vehicle we parted with, was our 1994 Bajaj Chetak, which we gave away in 2011 (after 17 years). That too only because it would vibrate hard after crossing 40 km/h. Otherwise we'd have kept it.
The oldest vehicle currently in our possession is a 2003 LML Freedom (also 17 years old) which is still going strong.

Our oldest car is a 2010 Honda City which because of upgrades and compromised quality in Hondas nowadays drives much better than a new Honda City. I absolutely adore it and I expect to be able to keep it at least another 10 years.

You see, vehicles aren't just part of our families, they have so many stories and memories attached to them. The chetak is the older brother who taught me how to ride. The Freedom, my first bike, is what I'd take my girlfriend around town on. The City was my first car which, because of low ground clearance, didn't let me rent an okayish apartment because it would scrape while going into the basement. So I ended up renting a much better apartment. And I subsequently a job referral in that apartment from a neighbour when I really needed one.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:01   #109
BHPian

Voted more than 10 years. I wish to keep my car(s) with me forever due to the sentimental value I develop on them. Even if the current car becomes old and unreliable, I prefer to add a new car with out selling the old one. Therefore when I make a car purchase I go through a strict selection process (following up on the vehicles for a long time) to make sure that I bring home a car that fits perfect with the right engine & gearbox, safety features, build quality etc.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:10   #110
BHPian

Voted for 10+ years.

I remember a funny theory we would think of practicing like 15 years ago when friends purchased cars. The typical car prices ranged from 4L to 9-10L. We would claim that one should hold on to the car for at-least the number of years as its price in "lakh"; i.e. 4L worth car = 4 years at-least; 9L worth car = 9 years at-least and so on. This logic is sort of out-dated today as cars costing 15L-20L (and more!) are routinely bought around.

For me, I'd stick to the car as long as it serves my requirements without causing too much maintenance headaches. I owned my last car for 9 years and changed it because of maintenance hiccups. My current car is barely 3 months old so I'm looking at 10+ years of ownership assuming the modern tech in the new car allows fuss-free ownership.
RishikeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:11   #111
BHPian

Driving a 20 year old Lancer, 17 years Old Pulsar and 6 year oild XUV.

All are well maintained and my point is that the car should be road worthy no matter whatever is the age.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:13   #112
BHPian

I have voted for 4-5 years because in India by the time its 5 years my car would have done nearly 80-100K kms and with Mumbai roads, the wear and tear would have been quite a bit. This would mean recurring expenses especially on the suspension, clutch, brakes, etc.
My previous i10 was sold at the end of 4th year and had done 70K. It had seen really bad roads.
I sold by i20 at 25k kms as I was moving to AD. This car had run much lesser as compared to prior one as I used to visit the office much closer to my house.

In AD I drive an Infiniti QX50 which is 2017 model. The car has done 40K kms and i still rock solid. I think I will use this car much longer than 4-5 years as its in real good shape (thanks to good roads here). I keep changing by rubber parts regularly as it quite hot here especially in summer.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:16   #113
BHPian

My 2010 Honda City I-Vtec is completing her 10th birthday in September and is on the verge of 1 lac kms.
I intend to keep the car for another 4 - 5 yrs and hence I've got her painted, given her new tires, new shockers and new headlights as well.

She's in great shape as well, serviced and maintained lovingly. Also happens to be an iconic car - fast frugal and fun.
I believe the car will run well for atleast half a decade more, because it doesn't have too many electronics and there's very little that can go wrong, given the legendary Honda reliability.
I also own an Octavia 1.8 Tsi, bought last December but I still enjoy driving the manual gearbox of the City.
Almetal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:18   #114
BHPian

Voted for 8-9 years as I feel that's the sweet spot in which the existing car starts to feel a bit outdated and the market has also moved ahead considerably to justify a new car purchase.

On the ownership front, I had kept my 2006 Santro till 2019, 2008 I10 is still going strong though not driven much and also have a 2015 Honda Jazz which I plan to replace in the next 4-5 years.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:23   #115
BHPian

Voted for 4 - 5 years. But that is specifically for the car I own currently. Hope to be at around 75000 kms soon after completing 3 years and I must sell it in favour of a comfortable cross-over diesel. I thought this milestone would come within three years, but the present lockdown slows it down. From 1 April to 10 June, the mileage is a meager 860 kms :( where as per plans it would have clocked 11000 kms.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:46   #116
BHPian

Voted for 10 years+
For a long time, we used to change our cars on or before the 5 years mark - Innova, Aveo, Vento, Santro etc. all were sold in 3-5 years.

The first car we retained for longer is our 2008 Mercedes C200. It's 12 years old but still no plans of selling. Partly because it's still in mint condition with only 40k on the odd and partly because new luxury cars have become outrageously expensive. Currently, also have my uncle's 2007 E280, which has around 42k on the odo. Might sell both in the near-to-medium future and get a new 3 series/5 series/E-class (trying to push for used but dad wants new).

Also have a 2014 Ecosport that I used to take to college (it's got only 25k) and a 2016 Ciaz, which is the beater car with the driver (50k). No plans to change in 5 years this time. Pushing dad to keep these two for 10 years at least. Both are very very good cars!

Finally, the first used car we bought is a 2010 Boxster. So it was already 10 years old when I bought it. No plans to sell this one. It's a future classic and I hope to be able to maintain it for the decades to come.

In summary, our garage has recently moved from having a car life of 3-5 years to 10 years+ and it makes SO much sense!

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 11th June 2020 at 13:47. Reason: spelling error
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:46   #117

I have voted 8-9 years. Ours is a 2013 manufactured, 2014 registered WagonR Stingray which has done nearly 41K kms. However, I had an itch to upgrade the car as it is not a fun to drive car but decided to do some upgrades and retain it for another 2-3 years. If things go well, I might get one pre-owned ride("a driver's car") and retain the tall boy for another 4-5 years as a beater car
Old 11th June 2020, 13:47   #118
BHPian

2007 Swift DDiS, almost 200,000 kms on the odometer; with regular health checkups and timely fluid changes, everything is just fine.
Giving me a healthy mileage of 18kmpl (with AC permanently on).
Normal rattles and noises which over the years have become music to ears.
Glides smoothly at 3 digit speeds on highways.
Honestly speaking, never had any justifiable reason to sell it off. Now a permanent member of our family.
The car has now become a memory bank on wheels. So many of them attached with it. She has been witness to many 'firsts' starting from our new home, birth of our first child, first long distance trip, first highway accident. List is endless.

You simply can't disown a family member just because he/she has run out of their productive life. This beloved member of our family is still serving us well. The shine in her eyes (headlights) and smile on her lips (grill) still drives me crazy. Literally!!
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:52   #119
BANNED

Voted for 10 or More.
My Xcent petrol is just 5+ year old and due to my limited running, only 32000km on odo.
My car still feel fresh and there is no sign of rattle. Also very low on maintenance.
After completion of EMI's in 4 year, now my car is very light on pocket.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:58   #120
BHPian

>10 years. My 2012 Ford Figo has completed 8years. I did 65k in first 5 years, but after that car pooling and Ola corporate brought down my daily usage. Now the car has clocked 85k and still doing well. So no reason why it should be able to run well for next 3-4 years and clock another 30-35k.
vishchan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed