Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 12:54   #16
GBX
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series Long Wheelbase to replace the 3 GT in India

The LWB model is really well proportioned and rightly positioned, well done BMW. That said, I can see them dropping the regular wheelbase model eventually since enthusiasts would be a very small portion of their buyers and can (unfortunately) be ignored. They might retain just the M3 in the RWB, as Mercedes does with the E-Class in AMG form. The upcoming 2 series Gran Coupe would be their new entry point in the line up, which would be well differentiated from the 3xxLi models. Just my two cents.
Old 11th June 2020, 13:48   #17
sgm
BHPian

The stance look really good and the overall side profile looks classy. 110mm is more than enough to liberate ample leg room. For a 3/C/A4, what you need is just a couple of inches, to make them more practical for rear passengers. Now you won't have to complain if are moving from a D1 segment for lack of space at the rear.
Good move by BMW
sgm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:45   #18
BHPian

The car does look a shade better than the current 3 Series, even though I found the upgraded 3 series extremely good looking and so plush on the inside. However this is not going to do big numbers considering it will still be a "3 Series" per say. I am a huge GT fan cause of the extra kicks(frameless doors , the spoiler , automated boot etc), the extremely roomy rear and just cause of the unique shape. But oh well, it is for the germans to figure out the economics, I'm just happy having more options
Old 11th June 2020, 20:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I genuinely don't know how I feel about it.
2 people I know picked up the 3GT over a 5 series simply because it offered more legroom, and was more comfortable to get in & out of.
The 3 LWB however with it's possibly lower seating may not be a great option compared to a similarly priced 5 series.

The 3 series has been bought by two types of buyers: those who want a driver's car, or those who managed to get a good deal. The 3 LWB will not appeal to either, and in a country where people are chauffeured around in a CLA - the Mercedes brand will still be viewed as more premium.

Instead, I feel BMW should look at the 5 LWB to take on the E class, and also bring in the regular wheelbase 7 series to plug in the over 50L gap between these two segments.
Old 11th June 2020, 21:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have a genuine feeling that the 3-Series LWB won’t do good business in a country like ours, which already has the SWB 3-Series.
If BMW brings in the 3 Series LWB, it’ll be more of an addition to the 3 Series lineup rather than them having a different bodystyle. Personally, I feel that the LWB will eat into the normal SWB 3 Series’ sales due to the extra legroom. But still, that 3GT like ‘oomph’ factor (Spoiler, Frameless Doors etc.) won’t be present anymore in the LWB like it was in the F30 Series.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 11th June 2020 at 21:19.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 23:23   #21
BHPian

This could cannibalize the sales of SWB 3 Series and 5 series due to that extra legroom.
The only advantage of going for 5 series at this point is its 30D avatar.

3 series, which was an favorite among enthusiasts for its short wheelbase and handling, now getting an LWB is ridiculous to say the least.
Old 12th June 2020, 01:10   #22

This is a smart move by BMW. But the practiciality the GT gave would be missing!! Huge panaromic sunroof, huge boot and acre of legroom!! Automatic spoiler was the icing on the cake!! But still a great move by BMW
Old 14th June 2020, 05:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't think it's good move from a brand value and positioning point of view although it should sell pretty well. I'd hate to see chauffeur-driven 3 Series all over the pace ferrying large families around, waiting in shopping malls & beauty parlours to pick up Madam and the Babalog etc.

I'd prefer to see them in SWB form being driven by car enthusiasts. The Madam + Babalog thingy is better done by Mercedes and Audi.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th June 2020 at 06:23. Reason: Typo
Old 14th June 2020, 12:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Don't think it's good move from a brand value and positioning point of view although it should sell pretty well. I'd hate to see chauffeur-driven 3 Series all over the pace ferrying large families around, waiting in shopping malls & beauty parlours to pick up Madam and the Babalog etc.

I'd prefer to see them in SWB form being driven by car enthusiasts. The Madam + Babalog thingy is better done by Mercedes and Audi.
I think it’s a great move from a business standpoint. Customers get ‘much bigger car’ by paying 10% more price. I think thats how most Indian potential Customer mental model will take it.

If I buy, it’ll be the SWB/Rwgular one though, given my driver-focused interest. Also, my concern is, if the LWB becomes a super-hit, BMW India may lose interest in the regular version altogether. So, buy one while you still can.

Question is - are you planning one to replace your Skoda in Dec/Jan or not (with 330i Sport?)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:31   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to sell a hatch, make it a sedan.
Want to sell a sedan, make it LWB.
Want to sell an SUV, make it look huge.

We Indians love more quantity per rupee. BMW figured it out, better late than never.

Mod Note: Team-BHP's BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Long Wheelbase Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd March 2021 at 10:47. Reason: Review link added
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks