Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 11:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

The volvo s80 has adaptive cruise control and collision warning system which warns you if you are too close to anything while the car is in motion,it flashes some kind of a light,along with an alarm and also prepares the brakes for braking,would they not have anything similar as a parking aid,a sensor which is not conspicuous in the exteriors of the car.

PS: Tushky nice to see you back.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 4th September 2007 at 11:49.
Old 4th September 2007, 12:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Features & Equipment - Volvo S80 - All-Cars - www.volvocars.in

Scroll down to Driver's Support and expand the menu

The last item there is PARK ASSIST CAMERA

Quote:
Increasing your field of vision behind the car, the Park Assist Camera is discretely mounted in the boot lid. The RTI navigation screen is used to show the driver the close-up rear view. Including the edge of the bumper, and the tow bar if one is fitted, this camera perspective allows the driver to park, or line-up to a trailer, with great precision. The image on the screen also includes guidelines to show the trajectory of the car in real time. The system cuts in, and out, together with reverse gear.
Old 4th September 2007, 18:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
From the pics it seems like the S80 doesnt even have parking sensors!
Actually you were right, the D5 model clicked by Moralfibre seems to be a 'naked' version.

Here's a pic of an S80 V8 which has both rear and front parking sensors. It shows where they are located.

Old 4th September 2007, 19:04   #49
BANNED

I can buy a Volvo bus for this price
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Volvo S80 @Rs 39.6 lakh, XC90 @Rs47 lakh

Last edited by diabloo : 4th September 2007 at 19:06.
Old 4th September 2007, 19:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

I must admit that I had an eye on the C30 but after reading a few 'user reviews' on Volvo forums....shudder....

Sample of some comments on S80,

Quote:
Like I said before, this car is built to keep the dealer stay afloat. You just have to take it in sooner or later. And every time you leave, you get a list of things that need their attention
Quote:
Owning a s80 is like being in a bad marriage. You buy into it because it looks sexy as hell, but once the novelty wears off, it'll take your wallet and make you cry when it breaks down every other week. And almost every time, I've had to have my parents wire me money to help me out so I'm not taking it out of the money I have to live on.
But then also take a look at C30 dash has one confused again:

Old 4th September 2007, 23:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the problem; they look magnificent, the gadgets are great, but if only they still had the build quality of that sixties wardrobe!

In those days it was said that it was the one car you could buy that wouldn't rust away in a few years.

I'm sorry to hear in Lurker's quote that they don't seem to have regained the quality high ground.
Old 6th September 2007, 18:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Both were launched today.

S80: 39 lakhs
XC90: 45 lakhs

To be shortly expected are S40 and C70 according to Volvo Cars India.
Old 7th September 2007, 12:59   #53

Hello all,

as a Swede I feel that I may have a thing or two to add to this thread:

In Sweden, Volvos are not status cars. They are considered trusty transportation devices. They are only really positioned as luxury items in the US, Italy, France, and many small markets such as Malaysia and Saudi Arabia.

Their main selling points include safety, reliability, safety and safety. Lately styling has also been included, but styling in a functional way reminiscent of Apple products.

Headlight wipers were invented by Saab back in the sixties, and have been required by law in Sweden since 1974.

As for the modus operandi of Volvo of India, it has always been a habit of Volvo to introduce their top-of-the-line models first. This allows for some much needed glamour and desirability to trickle down to their entry level models later on. For instance, the eighties luxury Volvo 760 had the market to itself for over a year before the "cooking" 740 was introduced.

I imagine that having a good name as a bus producer can be a plus in a market such as India, where most new-carbuyers seem to be highly concerned with reliability and economy. Do luxury car buyers in India feel the same way, or do they all want Lamborghinis?

Anyhow, I believe that those Indian citizens who can afford a Volvo at these prices are already familiar with the brand, and also know that in many markets it has much more cachet than Honda or Lexus for instance, so I don't think that Volvo will have any image problems in India.

Welcoming all opinions,

Håkan
Old 20th October 2007, 10:24   #54
BANNED

Thats a good point skunk. Even Honda follows the same strategy in India. No wonder their cars sell like hot cakes in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
As for the modus operandi of Volvo of India, it has always been a habit of Volvo to introduce their top-of-the-line models first. This allows for some much needed glamour and desirability to trickle down to their entry level models later on. For instance, the eighties luxury Volvo 760 had the market to itself for over a year before the "cooking" 740 was introduced.
Quickie - The Economic Times

Quote:
It isn't often that an MNC managing director has to take a peek under the car himself to rectify a problem. But if his product develops a snag and no technical assistance is handy (which is not very unusual in India), the boss doesn't have much of a choice.

For Paul de Voijs, managing director of Volvo Car India, a flat tyre in the all new S-80 forced him to take up the task of replacing the tyre himself. In the process he got a taste of the harshness of the Indian terrain-the bad roads, the mud, the garbage et al. In many ways the flat tyre was an example of the travails of imported cars on Indian roads.

+ more

Last edited by diabloo : 20th October 2007 at 10:26.
Old 25th October 2007, 23:06   #55
BHPian

The only versions that make sense are the V-8's in both the S80 and the XC90. They're priced quite well at 44 and 50 lakhs. Both the diesel and the inline 6 make absolutely no sense as they are priced quite similarly to the 5-series and the E-class.
Old 14th November 2007, 19:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Volvo S80 V8 today.

Old 14th November 2007, 22:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

good find gordan looks like volvos going to rule the country again as it did from 80's to mid 90's
Old 15th November 2007, 13:30   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am a little baffled at Volvos strategy. Primarily, why would anyone buy one?

1. The S80 is front-wheel-drive (Not talking about the V8 AWD which will be a scant seller). Merc + BMW are RWD.

2. It has the least powerful diesel.

3. It doesnt have the brand value of Merc & Beemer.

4. It doesnt have a price advantage either. On-road is in the same league as the germans.

5. Equipment levels arent class-leading.

6. Safety has been Volvo's USP (well, atleast in their marketing). But no one I met thinks that its german competition is unsafe in any which way.

Does the Volvo have what buyers from this segment want? I dont think so. Horrible positioning which is similar to the Audi A4's against the Merc C and the BMW 3.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2007 at 16:14.
Old 15th November 2007, 14:17   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with GTO... from a buyers perspective, the Volvo was launched around the sametime that i closed the deal on my 5 series...but i did not even consider it as an option....Second to the BMW for me was the E-class and A6 was close too.
I even saw one on the expressway yest and it just didnt appeal to me one bit.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

true in the present scenario it might not find enough buyers but once upon a time volvos were popular in the country
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks