Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 16:19   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
true in the present scenario it might not find enough buyers but once upon a time volvos were popular in the country
In India? What time would that be?
Old 15th November 2007, 22:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

well i already mentioned mid 80's to early 90's
in fact this is the only company who sold good number of station wagons in that price bracket

for 4 years in bangaore i found only one merc station wagon but around 5-6 volvo stationwagons and and also good number og volvo sedans
even in goa there are few of these
there one red volvo station wagon which is now rotting away
speedy has posted a volvo station wagon in "imported dust "thread
and there was a sedan posted by V-16

there are many known to be in bombay and there are a lot of these for sale to both in mumbai and delhi

the number of volvo station wagons i have seen are more than that of merc or any other carmaker

its funny how you never noticed sir
if you see the time period i had mentioned during that time most people (i am talking of the same range as E class)prefered mercs (as expected)and then the BMW ,and after BMW it was VOLVO
i believe jaguar s-type did not exist during that time

it was like this

high range it was
either
a) merc sel/or slcass
b)jaguar XJ/daimbler super 8
c)others like cadillac/or volvo large wheelbase(not sure which model or was it a modiied into a sort of limo)
d) BMW 7series

then
a)merc(e-class)
b)BMW 5series
c)volvo s80

below which was chevrolet caprice
you will be surprised to know that number of volvo's in india was higher than the AUDI's

ofcourse now the things have changed

and for past ten years jaguar,volvo and cadillac had totally lost market in india
out of which volvo and jaguar may be already in the process of coming back but cadillac has totally lost its place in the market

Last edited by AMATMO : 15th November 2007 at 22:44.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:15   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

and for past ten years jaguar,volvo and cadillac had totally lost market in india
out of which volvo and jaguar may be already in the process of coming back but cadillac has totally lost its place in the market
I wouldnt really call a make popular India, based on double digit imports.
Old 16th November 2007, 13:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldnt really call a make popular India, based on double digit imports.
true but you are talking of the time period when merccs were sold in 3-4 digits
anyway you maybe right in your part of issue
but what amazes me is the fact that people atleast opted for these cars in low numbers when they never had any great history in the country

isnt it comendable that people deviating from mercs and beemers chose volvo instead of chrysler,audi ,cadillac or even lincoln towncar

Last edited by AMATMO : 16th November 2007 at 13:28.
Old 16th November 2007, 13:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

ofcourse if you are talking of beemers and mercs then no other carmaker can beat them
Old 16th November 2007, 14:46   #66
BHPian

Eceryone who has ever taken a ride in a Volvo bus knows the level of comfort and luxury you get with it.
Even Tata was a seen as a Truck manufacturers, but time has shown that if you have a good product then people will buy it.
Old 16th November 2007, 16:54   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
Eceryone who has ever taken a ride in a Volvo bus knows the level of comfort and luxury you get with it.
You cant compares a volvo bus and a car, the buses are obviously more comfortable because they come with airmatic suspension.
Old 16th November 2007, 22:15   #68
Senior - BHPian

BTW isnt volvo s80 cheaper then 5series,A6 and e class?
Old 16th November 2007, 22:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

and one point that i would like to be made clear is that volvo s80 is worth only if it is cheaper than the mercs or beemers35-40 is a good price for this car cansidering mercs and beemers cost 45-50 onroad
correct me if i am wrong
but volvo s80 is certainly not worth if it is for the same price as mercs and bmw
the reason for its preferce was that when this car was importd from developed countries ,it was priced fair with c class etc making it a vfm
but when carmakers themselves sell cars in india they think they can decieve the indians by shifing segments

if the s80 is placed little above the A4,c and 3series but lover than germans higher segment then it will be worthy car
you have to agree with me here the car is better and c class and bigger too
so i feell ths car is good at a price tag of35-38
if e/5series and A6 are 45-50
if they comes cheaper than volvo should also see to it that s80 is offered at a cheaper price tag
if these conditions are mintained then volvo is would be a great car to opt for

Last edited by AMATMO : 16th November 2007 at 22:52.
Old 16th November 2007, 23:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and one point that i would like to be made clear is that volvo s80 is worth only if it is cheaper than the mercs or beemers35-40 is a good price for this car cansidering mercs and beemers cost 45-50 onroad
correct me if i am wrong
but volvo s80 is certainly not worth if it is for the same price as mercs and bmw
cant be cheaper its its a CBU. Dont think Volvo would be able to sell more than a couple of hundred cars in a year at max.
Old 17th November 2007, 00:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so i feell ths car is good at a price tag of35-38
if e/5series and A6 are 45-50
if they comes cheaper than volvo should also see to it that s80 is offered at a cheaper price tag
if these conditions are mintained then volvo is would be a great car to opt for
Amatmo what i have heard is that the S80 is priced at 35/38 lacs and the XC90 is priced at 45/48 lacs. i have not yet gone and seen the cars at the dealership but would be doing so soon. a great car at realistic prices.
Old 17th November 2007, 05:45   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for 4 years in bangaore i found only one merc station wagon but around 5-6 volvo stationwagons and and also good number og volvo sedans

there one red volvo station wagon which is now rotting away

the number of volvo station wagons i have seen are more than that of merc or any other carmaker

its funny how you never noticed sir
if you see the time period i had mentioned during that time most people (i am talking of the same range as E class)prefered mercs (as expected)and then the BMW ,and after BMW it was VOLVO
i believe jaguar s-type did not exist during that time

it was like this

high range it was
either
During the 1980's there were exacty 4 volvo station wagons in town

one white one
One red and on blue one - belonged to Madura coats - red one was my neighbours car
one old blue ancient one belonging to a vet who imported it from malaysia (that guy turned 100 recently)

I doubt I never saw many more than that.

Merc SW's came in only after 1977 - there is only one in Bangalore and around 3 in mumbai - probably some more scattered around the country. Volvo S80's came out only in 1999 and not many in India as the w124 was easily available for less hassle.

Imported cars in terms of popularity during 1980-90's were IMHO - Mercs w123/w124, Honda accords, VW jetta's and assorted japs. BMW's oly became popular after 1993 when the new 3 came out
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2007, 16:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
During the 1980's there were exacty 4 volvo station wagons in town

one white one
One red and on blue one - belonged to Madura coats - red one was my neighbours car
one old blue ancient one belonging to a vet who imported it from malaysia (that guy turned 100 recently)

I doubt I never saw many more than that.

Merc SW's came in only after 1977 - there is only one in Bangalore and around 3 in mumbai - probably some more scattered around the country. Volvo S80's came out only in 1999 and not many in India as the w124 was easily available for less hassle.

Imported cars in terms of popularity during 1980-90's were IMHO - Mercs w123/w124, Honda accords, VW jetta's and assorted japs. BMW's oly became popular after 1993 when the new 3 came out

in the order of pionts i have highlighted

1> are you sure only that many were in the country??

2>well if s80 was launched in 1999 then maybe i was talking of some car its equivalent
i agree infact not only after 1999 but actually sometime before that people had stopped buying volvos
dont compare it woth merc as merc has always been unbeatable

3>well volvo too
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:34   #74
BHPian

Drove the 3.2 S80 from Pune to Mumbai yesterday. Heres a brief experience

1- The white lookin S80 is an eye magnet. Its looks beautiful and has a macho appeal to it. Volvo were known to make boxy cars, and the new s80 does retain some of that, but the company has managed to make it looks just so better. I rate it neck to neck with the BMW in the looks department

2- didnt love the auto box too much, and used the geartronic with manual shifts to the max

3- we were four adults in the car, and i somehow did like the way it pulled at low revs on the expressway. had to keep the engine above 2500 to actually feel the push,but once over 3500, she zipped!

4- Loved the engine road

5- info display is very nice, and easy to understand (like the usual distance before u run out of fuel, fuel economy, avg speed, etc and the annoying seal belt removed / or used signs)

6- Seats are comfy, supportive.

7- suspension is quite nice. took the expressway tarmac (undulations) quite nice

8- handling was impressive (lonavala ghats ) and so was the braking. i was doing around 130 when i saw an unmarked indica in my lane (it was dark, around 7:30pm, and the bugger did have the indicators on, was just standin there!). I could feel the electronics do the calculations and managed to cut down a good 100km/h in no time. Impressive

9- Overall, loved the car, easy to drive in traffic (mumbai toll naka jam!). attention grabber

10-u feel its a safe car. the way it drives, the way the doors close and all. Volvo is known to make safe cars

Mercs have become to common, i think people would love goin in for this one
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:07   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice highpoints.

Quote:
4- Loved the engine road
Errr?? What??

Quote:
8- handling was impressive (lonavala ghats )
Thats because you drove the 3.2. Isnt it AWD? The regular FWD's understeer much too easy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks