Team-BHP - GM has re-worked the Aveo gearshift for improved feel.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   GM has re-worked the Aveo gearshift for improved feel. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/22344-gm-has-re-worked-aveo-gearshift-improved-feel.html)

Source: :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

The Aveo's gearshift was never one of its strong points. It was rubbery, vague and quite a letdown if you tried shifting quickly. This was especially true when moved from second to third gear. Also, the gearlever itself was positioned too far back.

General Motors India has taken this criticism to heart and tried to make amends. To make the shifts smoother, the angle of the synchroniser cones have been changed, and the gear linkages have been redesigned to reduce travel and improve feel.

better late than never .. was much needed..

Excellent. Does this affect the 1.6 Optra also?

Excellent news, this was its only major problem. Now Aveo is more VFM!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 392965)
Excellent news, this was its only major problem. Now Aveo is more VFM!!!

IMHO I think we cannot call any car VFM until it has a descent mileage.

Great. Does this mean we'll see serpentine queues at GM dealerships now? Not unless they're distributing free booze.

Will this change be freely given to existing owners ??

@navdeep: I dont think VFM relates to mileag only but to the complete package\features a car offers for its price.

I feel Chevy in India has this issue (if it's an issue) right through their line up. Previously Optra had a different gear set up (read ratio) and GM had to change that. There was massive complaint about FE. After changing the ratio FE did improve but nothing really to talk about.

Regarding notchy gear shift I feel it's a matter of getting used to. It's not as bad as is made out to be. I didn't have any problem with this notchy shift ever. Any gear shift, for that matter takes some time to get use to. I had problem with Farhan's (sideways) Lancer. It has short shift.

After using a GM product for three years, I must say it's GOOD for what you paid. I can go on and on but that will be outside this thread. So..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 393024)
Will this change be freely given to existing owners ??

@navdeep: I dont think VFM relates to mileag only but to the complete package\features a car offers for its price.

actually I meant to say mileage is a major contributor when call a car VFM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 393024)

agree: as a matter of fact a real car enthusiast would put mileage a bit down in priority and expects all the technical gizmos to work better for the money he shelled out. Sadly, for the mass car markets, it's on the top of the rung.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 393286)
agree: as a matter of fact a real car enthusiast would put mileage a bit down in priority and expects all the technical gizmos to work better for the money he shelled out. Sadly, for the mass car markets, it's on the top of the rung.

yes definitely .. its true for *enthusiast* but VFM buyers for instance will prefer maruti rather then Fiat. Although there are n number of Fiat enthusiasts.

That's very good but what about the fact that almost every body[interested in this segment of cars] is asking When can we expect a diesel aveo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 393052)
I feel Chevy in India has this issue...Any gear shift, for that matter takes some time to get use to....I must say it's GOOD for what you paid...

How is their A.S.S. or have are you using an Alternate Source of Service?

In Mumbai National Garage, Fortpoint and Bharti make you wonder if anyone in GM even cares about A.S.S (just like the goons at Skoda).

Aveo is not that bad in FE also, 12-13kms/l isnt at all a bad mileage for a car of this size. Aveo really makes good sense in 6-6.5 lakhs. improved gearshift was deserately wanted

Hi askicode,
I am planning to buy an optra or aveo 1.6.Have they actually changed the gear shift?Or is it just one of those rumours?