Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 309 44.59%
No 384 55.41%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 19:59   #76
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)

Voted:YES.

I would buy the first generation Fortuner in a blink. Having owned one for for 9 years and over 200,000 kms i certainly know what the vehicle is about and its capabilities.

If it wasn't for the NGT i would still be driving mine today.
That was a vehicle that could cruise at 140 kmph on a highway all day and crawl over sandunes and drive through river beds the same evening.
It felt equally at home driving into a posh hotel or through broken jungle tracks.
It promised complete peace of mind.

Mine did not have any major mechanical issue even once in its years with me.
Maintainaince was earlier very cheap and then later i would say was reasonable but still much cheaper than even some small cars.

Brakes: mine was a December 2009 model and initially the brakes felt inadequate. All it took was one complaint and immediately the vehicle was outfitted with larger discs by Toyota (free of charge ofcourse) That solved the problem permanently.

Suspension: this is a ladder on frame SUV meant to tackle city roads, highways and offroad as well, so it would be wise not to compare suspension ride with sedans and vans.
Yes the suspension was firm and there was some body roll. Fitting aftermarket Ironman or ARB suspension fixes that easily. One should budget to have that done when considering a second hand one. It transforms the ride and handling and provides an extra 50 mm/2 inch of ground clearance also.
Please understand at 8 to 10 lacs you are getting a very capable, reliable and spacious SUV from Toyota. Spending 90k extra on revamping the suspension is money well spent.

Interiors: like the car simple, hard wearing and uncomplicated. I drove to Spiti and Ladakh twice and took countless roadtrips over its 9 year life. Except for the drivers seat and steering wheel one could not imagine that the car was almost 10 years old. I had in any case given it new interiors to go with its green wrap.

If i was not bound by the idiotic NGT 10 year rule i would still be driving mine today as its emission levels were 60% lower than what is permitted by law.

The car when new had immense presence and turned heads where it went. After the modifications i had undertaken it turned heads even after 10 years.

If you want a safe, sturdy, reliable go anywhere vehicle with 4x4 high and 4x4 low, great ground clearance (post suspension lift), superb ride and handling (post suspension upgrade), is relatively cheap to maintain and gives decent mileage (12 to 14 kmpl) at approx 8 to 10 lacs then please go ahead and look for a well maintained, non accidental Toyota Fortuner (first gen) and get your name on it as quick as you can!!

You can thank me later.

I am in regular touch with the person who bought Obelix from me and he is extremely happy with his purchase.
You can take his word for it since he has experienced firsthand what is being polled and discussed in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-photogrid_1544510695185.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-photogrid_1507413917885.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20180928_002336_131.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20190408_233126_886.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20180914_211523_868.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20170414_123416_029.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20180829_131333_249.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-img_20170920_104845_797.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Toyota Fortuner came to India back in 2009 & boy, has it been a runaway success!
Sir,

Voted No.
Its just too old a car for present times, and given the choice of cars in India now and their price points, I am sure you will ( or who ever is looking will ) score much better deals for newer and safer cars.

As much as I loved this car, back then, I personally would not want to a second hand Fortuner, especially if its that old.
Old 11th August 2020, 12:52   #78
BHPian

Fortuner has been a dream ever since it was launched in 2009, however it's pricing and holding up value in the used market has still kept it as a dream. Also most used ones we see around are either abused/tampered ODO or priced exorbitantly. The shortcomings of 1st Gen and the face lift version can be fixed/upgraded and the truck would easily outlast the owner, love Rhandle/Ace355 and Manuuj's spruced ex-truck, any fellow enthusiasts looking to part with their trucks in near future please pm.
Old 11th August 2020, 13:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. Although I was blown by its appearance in 2009 but not anymore. I would rather go for Endeavour. Looks and rides a shade better, IMO.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

I can only buy one if I get well maintained, low mileage (Around 100,000 Kms) car around 8 Lacs. Paying 12-15 Lacs for such old model SUV doesn't make any sense to me. Instead I will happily go for new Harrier for around 17-18 Lacs, it makes lot more sense.

BTW, first gen model Fortuner was really good looker, butch of SUV. Current one not that great in looks department. Same thing applied to Scorpio as well.
Old 27th December 2020, 21:06   #81
BHPian

I second that - the gen1 looks a lot more butch and intimidating (if I were to say that) as compared to the current gen.
As a newbie, I cannot vote - but I would love to pick up the AT version as that would be a good companion for my long distance trips. As we typically travel loaded to the gills, I think the bouncy ride would get masked to a certain extent. In my books, this is as iconic, as a Safari.

Cheers
Old 27th December 2020, 21:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes, but poor brakes might keep me away.
Old 27th December 2020, 23:15   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES

Owning one for the past 6 years, let me put down some points about the car as a whole.

First up, NEGATIVES.
  1. Long brake travel, missing bite point.
  2. By 2020 standards misses many features, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Auto-dimming IRVM, only 2 airbags, rear drum brakes.
  3. 2nd row ride quality.

POSITIVES.
  1. Strong Engine, torque surge at 1800rpm is addictive.
  2. Good space across rows, reclinable 3rd row missing in many similar cars. Having done many trips in the 3rd row, I must say after the Innova’s 3rd row this one is a close second.
  3. High ground clearance.
  4. Gobbles up potholes at relatively higher speeds. No need to slow down where pseudo-SUVs will slow down.
  5. Excellent after sales network and service quality. Still unbeatable!
  6. Road presence is massive, people move out of the way.
  7. Strong resale value, holds value exceptionally well even today. Competitors can only dream of those prices!
  8. Built-to-last feeling, hard wearing plastics (15 year Innovas maintained properly have the same dashboard colours as when they were new.) More importantly not a single rattle anywhere, not even the seatbelt!
  9. Powerful headlight washers, many premium cars skip this today including the new Endeavour and Fortuner. Where the car is meant to be driven ie. highways this is absolutely essential!

Once you cross the 5-year mark with any car, the car develops an emotional connect with you. Same is the case with our Fortuner, back in 2014 when we had to sell our Innova to get the Fortuner home, I had tears welled up in my eyes and I know it will be the same when we decide to sell this brute! Almost got a buyer for our car during the lockdown but somewhere my heart didn’t want to let it go.

Somewhere along the way one feels that a new car is needed but then we also realised that the price at which we will sell this car will get us a top-spec compact SUV! Definitely not worth it, so will stick to it for some more time. Let’s see how the facelifted Fortuner’s price turns out, will take a decision according to that. Till then the beast lives on!

Forgot to mention our Fortuner is the super rare silky golden mica, I myself have seen only 5-6 in Mumbai till now. Helps in identifying our car in the sea of white Fortuners

Now let’s talk about whether one should buy one in the used car market at the moment.
-Demand is still strong
-If one wants a SUV with proper 4X4 hardware today for anywhere between ₹10-15L and not pseudo SUVs don’t look elsewhere.
-My friend has done 3L+ kms in his 12’ Fortuner AT and he has still managed to sell it at a decent price. Not a single breakdown anywhere!
-Even if it is a used one, you will get a lot of respect.
-Since there are lots of examples in the used car market, one can find their preferred Fortuner, a less abused one with ease.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-56f9ab650dd649ce8cf7e7caeffd12b8.jpeg

The commanding position of the road, bonnet scoop and that front fender mirror which makes the car look extremely wide while seated inside(a cheap 360 deg camera) is what makes this car so popular!

This is one car which (or rather all Toyotas) feels extremely boring but the way these things do their tasks without breaking a sweat. Dependable when you need them the most, ample power when you need it, over-engineered to not show their age and mile-munching at decent cruising speeds is what these cars are made for.

Frankly speaking if you are looking for more features, better ride quality and more features look at the 2015-present Endeavour other places the Fortuner trumps it.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th December 2020 at 23:27.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:57   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Toyota Fortuner came to India back in 2009 & boy, has it been a runaway success!
Voted YES.

@blackwasp A big Thanks to you and TBHP for this thread. This and many other threads on T Fortuner helped me lot in my decision making.

I bought The Fortuner Gen 1, pre-worshipped 2010 Silver on 17th Dec 2020.

Almost 2 weeks of search resulted in Toyota U Trust (Shaw Toyota SB Road Pune) to find this pristinely maintained single owner, 1.54 L kms on ODO, with full service history. Continental Cross Contact AT on 4 wheels and stock on spare wheel.

Show Toyota offered 1.5 L kms servicing which costed them 22 K and 3M body coat and interior cleaning (6 K). This made lots of difference in car look and feel compared to one which I had TD.

So far completed some 800+ kms around Pune and enjoying every moment with this torque monster. . So far 2 tank fills, it returned me 12 KMPL and displayed same on MID.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-3.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-4.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-5.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-toyota-fortuner-6.jpg
Thar4x4 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 18:33   #85
BHPian

Looking to buy a used Fortuner, need advice

I'm looking to buy a used Fortuner as a out of town runner with the family, read, mostly Goa, Delhi and Ladakh road trips for the next 5-76 years. It will not be used in Pune as a daily driver. Too bad the Jimny isn't being launched anytime soon, wife liked that car and would actually drive it unlike the Fortuner which she feels is a truck and wouldn't even park.

I've always loved the Fortuner, it's HiLux chassis pedigree specifically and also thought it was overpriced. Since now the wife is convinced it might be ok to buy a second car, an SUV because buying a home had to come first

I have a few Qs:
  • What are the generation differences over the years since it was launched in India?
  • I always wanted the 3.0 L 4x4 MT, but read that the newer 2.8 develops more torque, any opinions on the 3.0 engine?
  • I assume one of the downsides of getting an AT over a manual would be the inability to fit aftermarket lockers etc. but having been raised on a light SUV diet of 3 door Mahindra's and Gypsy's I'm unsure of taking a 3 ton vehicle for some serious mud work. Any serious objections to getting an AT?
  • I am seeking, preferably, a post-2011 single owner 4x4 Fortuner with less than 1,60,000 Kms on it. I will be taking it to the Bavdhan SVC for Toyota to appraise me of the issues before I buy it, what are the things I need to be looking out for?
  • Any other advice for someone in my position is greatly appreciated?

In view of the recent govt. regulation like Green Tax for 15 year old vehicles, I am wondering if this would be a good idea in 2021.
Strykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 19:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

re: Looking to buy a used Fortuner, need advice

I can write about my 4*2 AT 3.0 litre 2013 fortuner. I had qualis earlier and the ride quality was the only drawback I could see in fortuner as compared to qualis when I purchased. Both have a ocean of difference in ride quality. But, I did not have prejudice when I purchased fortuner. I did not see it as a limitation. I saw it as a feature designed to build off-road capability. So, I developed love with fortuner within a week of purchase.

Now, after living with fortuner for so long, now, I can vouch, it is a car that can take you to any corner of the world and has power to take you on any terrain.

Regarding AT, Till now, I have never felt that I am missing MT even once. Adequate or to be precise, Excessive power is available under right feet upon a light tap on A pedal under any circumstances.

Now, comparing with later version of 2017 and above models, I don't miss anything in my fortuner. Reason being, I am not a gizmos and electronics guy. Am just Hard core driving enthusiast. Hence, literally, I don't have an iota of dissatisfaction due to absence of few gizmos in my fortuner . In fact, headlights and other certain essential features are better in old fortuner compared to new one.

I also need to tell ride quality has improved in new version but not significant.

And I am not saying, those electronics are not worth. But, if someone asks me whether I will change my car because of those features, answer is definitely no.

Finally, do I recommend Fortuner to others? Absolutely yes.

Do I look for another upgrade from
Fortuner? Not at all. Am absolutely happy with it and will not look forward for upgrade NOT BECAUSE OF lack of choices but, because, I don't feel the need to upgrade.

So, suggest to go ahead with one single mind and heart and invest on your future. I am deliberately using the term investment although it is a depreciable asset because you will realise that it is really an investment after few years of ownership.

Last edited by gkveda : 6th February 2021 at 19:50.
gkveda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 22:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking to buy a used Fortuner, need advice

Having bought a used first generation, 2010 make Fortuner MT 4x4, a year ago with over 6000 kms running already driven on different terrains in Northern India to North East, I can bring some good insights into your dilemma and hope you find them useful.
  • Quote:
  • What are the generation differences over the years since it was launched in India?
  • If I am not wrong, here are the generalization of the various generations:
    2006-2009 - 1st Generation (Not launched in India)
    2009-2012 - 1st Generation (India launched - 1st facelift)
    2012-2015 - 1st Generation (2nd facelift)
    2016-2020 - 2nd Generation
    2020-2021 - 2nd Generation (1st facelift)

Quote:
  • I always wanted the 3.0 L 4x4 MT, but read that the newer 2.8 develops more torque, any opinions on the 3.0 engine?
  • Yes, the newer 2.8 is refined and torquer than the 3.0. However, can't compare with other diesel mills like from Hyundai or Mahindra, which are highly refined, with little or no truck like diesel clutter. However, I find the 3.0 mill (1KD-FTV) very responsive with abundant power in very gear, making it very easy to overtake in busy city traffic or in highways. One don't need to work up the gears frequently even in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
  • I assume one of the downsides of getting an AT over a manual would be the inability to fit aftermarket lockers etc. but having been raised on a light SUV diet of 3 door Mahindra's and Gypsy's I'm unsure of taking a 3 ton vehicle for some serious mud work. Any serious objections to getting an AT?
  • Equipped with a proper AT tyres, you will be surprised how easily this 3 tons behemoth can get you in and out of serious off road conditions, be it mud, water, ice, sand or rock.

Quote:
  • I am seeking, preferably, a post-2011 single owner 4x4 Fortuner with less than 1,60,000 Kms on it. I will be taking it to the Bavdhan SVC for Toyota to appraise me of the issues before I buy it, what are the things I need to be looking out for?
  • Check out for timing belt change, and make sure water pump is changed too when that job is done.
    Check the suspension, bushings. At that mileage and age, advisable to change with new ones.

Quote:
  • Any other advice for someone in my position is greatly appreciated?
  • I would suggest you look for 2012-15 facelift ones, as those come with VSC (traction control), which is highly recommended if you are looking for highway crunching.

Stick to AT (Auto) if you intend to drive in bumper traffic. Else a MT is more fun in the highways.

Quote:
In view of the recent govt. regulation like Green Tax for 15 year old vehicles, I am wondering if this would be a good idea in 2021.
Well, for now this is just limited to Delhi and NCR, which is not applicable to you. Besides, in smaller towns and 2nd/3rd tier cities, very hard to enforce such regulations. Heck, in my region, 90% of the private vehicles ply without an insurance and no one cares (car owners, cops, govt.) So, go on and grab your fortuner and happy ownership!

Here is a latest pic of my fortuner in one of the highest peak (Near the Myanmar border) in Manipur

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)-highest-peak.jpeg

Last edited by iTNerd : 6th February 2021 at 23:04.
iTNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 01:31   #88
BHPian

Re: Looking to buy a used Fortuner, need advice

Quote:
If I am not wrong, here are the generalization of the various generations:
2006-2009 - 1st Generation (Not launched in India)
2009-2012 - 1st Generation (India launched - 1st facelift)
2012-2015 - 1st Generation (2nd facelift)
2016-2020 - 2nd Generation
2020-2021 - 2nd Generation (1st facelift)
Are you saying the only changes in all the India gen's are facelifts, the chassis is the same? I was under the impression they had made chassis changes (which I am not a fan of)?

Quote:
Yes, the newer 2.8 is refined and torquer than the 3.0. However, can't compare with other diesel mills like from Hyundai or Mahindra, which are highly refined, with little or no truck like diesel clutter. However, I find the 3.0 mill (1KD-FTV) very responsive with abundant power in very gear, making it very easy to overtake in busy city traffic or in highways. One don't need to work up the gears frequently even in bumper to bumper traffic.
Cheers, I don't care that much about refinement, it's not my daily driver.

Quote:
Equipped with a proper AT tyres, you will be surprised how easily this 3 tons behemoth can get you in and out of serious off road conditions, be it mud, water, ice, sand or rock.
Agreed, tires would be top of my list.

Quote:
Check out for timing belt change, and make sure water pump is changed too when that job is done.
Check the suspension, bushings. At that mileage and age, advisable to change with new ones.
This is gold, thank you, I was definitely going to upgrade the suspension to EMU or the likes.

Quote:
I would suggest you look for 2012-15 facelift ones, as those come with VSC (traction control), which is highly recommended if you are looking for highway crunching.

Stick to AT (Auto) if you intend to drive in bumper traffic. Else a MT is more fun in the highways.

[/list]
Any changes to VSC post 2015?

Quote:
Well, for now this is just limited to Delhi and NCR, which is not applicable to you. Besides, in smaller towns and 2nd/3rd tier cities, very hard to enforce such regulations. Heck, in my region, 90% of the private vehicles ply without an insurance and no one cares (car owners, cops, govt.) So, go on and grab your fortuner and happy ownership!

Here is a latest pic of my fortuner in one of the highest peak (Near the Myanmar border) in Manipur

Attachment 2118875
[/quote]
Beautiful, thank you!
Strykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 09:08   #89
BHPian

Reviving this thread.
How is the equation now with Ford's (Endeavour's) exit?

Suppose I have a 10-15 lakhs budget for a primary car.
Use case: 1. Daily commute to work with 20% town and 80% highway.
2. Yearly long distance trips to hills/mountains.
3. Learn basics of offroading.
I drive an Ecosport and feel the boot to be small during long trips.
The car should be a mile muncher and good amount of torque is a must.
Does the 1st gen facelift Fortuner makes sense here?

I have never sat in one but from what I gather from teambhp, the ride is stiff. How does it compare to the Ecosport's ride quality which is also stiff but is not a bother for daily use. For long drives, I find myself wishing the Ecosport's ride quality to be a bit plusher.

For the abovementioned budget no new car has the appeal of the Fortuner in my view.
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 10:21   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakritij View Post
Does the 1st gen facelift Fortuner makes sense here?

I have never sat in one but from what I gather from teambhp, the ride is stiff. How does it compare to the Ecosport's ride quality which is also stiff but is not a bother for daily use. For long drives, I find myself wishing the Ecosport's ride quality to be a bit plusher.

For the abovementioned budget no new car has the appeal of the Fortuner in my view.
Having owned both, let me tell you both EcoSport and Fortuner’s ride is extremely stiff. But the major difference is that on a slightly uneven road where the EcoSport will ride smoothly, the Fortuner will always remind you on what surface you’re driving on. The ride is always unsettled. If you can look past the unsettled ride, then the other pseudo CSUVs don’t stand a chance in front of a Fortuner even if it’s the 1st Gen.

Another place where you will find a big difference coming from the EcoSport is the brake pedal. Where the EcoSport’s brake pedal is precise and provides excellent feedback with just the right amount of pressure applied on the pedal, Fortuner’s is completely opposite. The bite point is extremely hard to find and can catch you out if not careful. (My experience is with the manual 3L Fortuner, in the automatic there is a possibility that the brake pedal behaves differently for obvious reasons.)

Where the EcoSport thuds through potholes, with the right (higher than what you would carry in any other car) speed the Fortuner demolishes the same pothole, but carry low speed and the Fortuner’s ride will be unforgiving.

If you ask me today, for 15 Lakhs you get CSUVs with less space, a Fortuner for <15Lakhs will offer you double the space, proper 4WD capability and will still give you service bills lesser than the newer CSUVs. Show the Fortuner open smooth tarmac on highways and it can cruise all day at 120kmph without much fuss.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks