Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 309 44.59%
No 384 55.41%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 12:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
Checking out a 2010 Fortuner (gen1) 50k genuine kms on the ODO. The owner is from a known circle and runs many businesses. The vehicle is in immaculate condition inside and out. Always serviced in TKM service centers and even has the timing belt changed at 10 years interval.

Less usage due to multiple cars and self-driving most of the time which tells the lesser odo reading.

The asking price is 10L. Location Chennai.

Is it a worthy buy considering the age?
Don't let it go, these kind of examples are nearly non existent these days, your buy in cost leaves a good bandwidth for maintenance and mods.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 19:07   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checking out a 2010 Fortuner (gen1) 50k genuine kms on the ODO. The owner is from a known circle and runs many businesses. The vehicle is in immaculate condition inside and out. Always serviced in TKM service centers and even has the timing belt changed at 10 years interval.

Less usage due to multiple cars and self-driving most of the time which tells the lesser odo reading.

I was about to say, 'Dont even touch / think about this car, but pass me the number of the owner'.

Jokes apart, looks like a great price for the details you mention. I believe the first gen came with a smaller disc at the rear and Toyota later provided a bigger disc - probably the only thing you may need to do, if it's not already equipped.

If I may request, get a full checkup up done at the TA$$ your cost so you clearly know what are the next replacements and when to do those.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th November 2022 at 19:09.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 19:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The truck would be indestructible for sure but a lot depends on your intended usage. It is good as a weekend off-road fun-machine or an overlander but I'd think more than once if I want to use it as a family tourer or a city car, given that it is way too crude and spartan for today's age and times, not to mention the pathetic brakes (no rear discs) and only 2 airbags. Also consider the fact that it will soon need a re-registration (in 2025) and from what I hear, fitness requirements for diesel vehicles are going to get more and more stringent over the coming years, especially in metros. Good luck!
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:

From my experience here (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Toyota Fortuner (1st-gen)) the asking price is bit on higher side. The best price is 7-8.5 L for this vehicle BUT if you like the vehicle some here and there is totally fine. I purchased mine in 2020 for 9.50 L and I was aware that I am paying around 50-70 K premium because it was under U-Trust. Buying a T-Fort in pre-owned market is a big task. I checked around 5 vehicles in person however this was the best along with U trust assurance.

I used this vehicle for 1.5 yrs and 13 K kms, sold it for 8.5 L to Olx auto. I enjoyed it thoroughly however there are some niggles you need to consider before taking decision.

- I have owned 9 cars so far and this one got a very pathetic brake. Again, I was aware of it however I thought booster modification might help as suggested in multiple threads. ASC Shaw Toyota mechanic suggested that this modification is not advisable and will not give you much improvement considering the expenses. Spent around 35 K on brake service which gave some 20% improvement. Previous owner used rear drums on oversize pads hence rear drums were at the end of life as well as front discs. Changed both rear drums and pads, front disc and pads and some related components. However still it needed second pedal for braking hence it was only driven by me in family.
- Previous owner was using it on Conti cross contract and changed only 2 Tyres at time so front was in good shape for 5 K however rear was almost dead. Still used it for 6 K and then changed to Yoko. Ride experience changed drastically when driven on 30 psi. Total damage 65 K here as I changed all 5 Tyres to periodic rotation.
- One fine day armature pull started crying and in just 2 days it went off totally which discharged the battery. Thankfully I reach ASC on time to rectify the noise which saved me from roadside break down. Total damage 15 K.
- I did spent some more money on cleaning and detailing however that is irrespective of vehicle.
- Thankfully previous owner did the clutch work completely just before selling which saved me another 40-50 K and the clutch was butter smooth.

Now, if you can live with the weak brakes, you are fine with post purchase expenses around 2-3 L and fine with risk of registration then go ahead, take it to ASC pay for full checking and negotiate on price.

T-Fort is crude, but it is beast.

All the best!
Thar4x4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 13:52   #125

Hi

Go for it,

It is the right size vehicle for Indian roads, current Fortuner is too big in size and cramp inside.

2010 ones are easy to manage in city as well.

Get it checked from the service centre.

Have wonderful drive with it
Ram35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 23:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
50k genuine kms on the ODO. The owner is from a known circle The vehicle is in immaculate condition inside and out. Always serviced in TKM service centers and even has the timing belt changed at 10 years interval.

I would suggest to go for it, this Gen Fortuner are known to be hardy and very reliable. The price is a tad on a higher side, but the mileage is on the lower side, and you won't get such low run Fortuner at this price.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:29   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
T-Fort is crude, but it is beast.
To a lot of who are in their high 40's and 50's, making this kind of a statement in our lives would have seemed impossible to even think about in the good old days of the Congressi license raj
Old 15th February 2023, 10:42   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Checking out a 2010 Fortuner (gen1) 50k genuine kms on the ODO.

This car is up for sale. Members interested and located in Chennai/TN please DM me.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed