Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 21:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs

I wish I could quote all my Mitsubishi comeback scenarios I've posted on this forum over the last 2 years. I've always said they have been the first to jump onto this crossover and suv trend by ditching sedans and coupes. Ideally I wouldn't mind a less ugly Eclipse cross and maybe a relaunch of the ASX. The Chinese market Lancer? That too.

But I hope this won't be Nissan-Renault adding another brand( one which has a stronger pull than both of them ironically) for their platform sharing and cost reducing schemes.

Also how apropos is it that this afternoon a Mitsubishi Pajero SFX with some Pinin kit cut me off and I just sighed at how Mitsubishi signed off on us.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 12th June 2020 at 21:24.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Without a diesel in the Renault Nissan alliance, will Mitsubishi expect to succeed with petrol only 1.3 CVT turbo? And if they are getting a diesel somehow then it’s good news for Renault Nissan products and not Mitsubishi which needs a decent support Infrastructure in terms of dealerships.

Maybe they ought to cross sell and service all 3 group products.

The eclipse may gather attention like how the niche Honda Jazz caught strictly petrol urban users attention if kept alongside Diesel Pajeros or the petrol only Nissan Kicks.

EV products like the Leaf and Mitsubishi’s own green vehicles too can be used as tech demonstrators in these showrooms. A Chinese owned brand MG has gathered pace in EV, so it’s not entirely impossible for the Renault Nissan Mitsubishi alliance.

Last edited by Ford5 : 13th June 2020 at 12:26.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 12:39   #18
BHPian

The ideal partner for mitsubishi would be Mahindra. I wish they had bought Mitsubishi.

However most prospective buyers, investors would be worried about the cross-holding and other hidden liabilities with mitsubishi motors.

This brand, with the right partner can easily dominate certain niche market segments, starting with 30Lakhs SUVs and small hatches (ev+hybrid). There is no other brand that evokes such consistency in reliability, ease of use, driving pleasure combined with plush ride, across their product range.
WhiteKnight is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 16:23   #19
BHPian

Mitsubishi got it wrong as they tied up with HM initially to launch Lancer. While the arrangement worked then, it was never defined to succeed. HM as a company was successful only because the market was not open then. With the advent of MUL, it was downhill for them. To come back, they need to seriously rework their strategy or tie up with maybe a Tata or a Mahindra. While it's difficult, it's not impossible. Kia's recent success is a great example
shabeermohamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 20:35   #20
BHPian

Mitsubishi always had well engineered and superior cars as compared to their competitors if you see in totality.

Lancer was better car than Honda city. Proof of this can be seen if you make both cars of same year stand side by side or drive them after so many years. Same is case between Fortuner and Pajero Sport. Even earlier generation Pajeros are moving around decently even to this day. Outlander was considered superior to CRV by enthusiasts.

Hope they find a better partner this time and give their all.
Sandeep500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 21:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi India reports sales of SUV's as nil or in single or double digits every month. And now they dream of launching something to rival the Creta (at # 1 in car sales in May 2020) and the Fortuner.

As Jonas Salk, famous for his anti-polio vaccine has said " I've had dreams and I've had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams."

Mitsubishi must be having nightmares due to its insignificant sales, but hopefully dreams will help them overcome nightmares !
anjan_c2007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Have some fond memories of the Lancer , at 100 Kmph , the diesel was whisper quiet on the inside - unbelievable during its time. (Ralliart sticker anyone?)

The Motors division of Mitsubishi is largely dead as a brand, there is nothing really exciting to speak of and considering they are partly owned by Nissan & Renault - I`m expecting a Nissan Kicks to come out with Mitsubishi logo to fight Creta , then import the current Australian truck into India as Pajero sport against Fortuner, maybe they can sell overall a few hundred units per month combined.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

If this is for real, along side the Pajero Sport they should consider bringing in their successful Triton range of UTE's. They are a hit in the Oceania region.

https://www.mmnz.co.nz/vehicles/triton/
Old 15th June 2020, 14:11   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am not buying this news.

Mitsubishi is part of the Renault-Nissan group which is still licking its wounds. While Renault is doing alright in India, Nissan & Datsun have lost hundreds of crores of rupees and are seeing certain death on the horizon. Do you think the same group will invest in bringing Mitsubishi to India? The time has come to sharpen their focus on ONE brand, NOT bring in a 4th.

Mitsubishi Motors as a standalone company is broke and has no money to develop a truly class-leading car.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:30   #25
BANNED

I wish Tata and Mahindra would collaborate with such world class auto manufacturers.
The companies would benefits from each other's strengths and would be able to develop a much bigger range of products.
Imagine a Creta rival from Mitsubishi manufactured by Tata.
Mahindra could also use some quality designs from Mazda, Mitsubishi, Honda etc.
It would be to everyone's advantage to see these Indian and Japanese behemoths merge for the Indian and African markets.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:17   #26

I want Mitsubishi back in India. I always admired Lancer and its versions. Still remember a Red Lancer or a yellow one SFX variant.It looks swell. Pajero was one of the best 4x4 SUV in India at that Price. It has its own legacy. If they can bring some good SUV with good service support and not to mention a great Sedan like the Lancer and their very own Mirage Hatchback then they can be a very exciting brands to own.
RachMath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 01:28   #27

A quick peek into Mitsubishi's Thailand website shows the Pajero Sport and Xpander models. I dont think they have any Creta rivaling compact in Thailand, which is the closest market. I highly doubt if they would bring the Eclipse cross. I have driven one and it is simply horrible to drive and looks bad in my opinion. An Updated Pajero Sport would keep Toyota's Fortuner pricing grounded.

Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs-mitsu.png
Old 16th June 2020, 12:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just launch old model with modern engine, features, some UI modifications and better driving dynamics for price tag 20 Lacs OTR. With localization it's achievable for sure. I am sure it will still fetch lots of customers. I will be one of them
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Xpander at Creta pricing would work here.
Old 16th June 2020, 20:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs

Surely there is no one even at Mitsubishi who are as optimistic and hopeful as some of our own bhpians! I mean this is a thread that should have disappeared within a day given the current situation of the brand in India, but a lot of us remain hopeful that Mitsubishi will make a come back, one day!

But im guessing this is all just down to rumours and nothing concrete. Mitsubishi is not a company with deep pockets and neither do they have a long list of models even in other countries like Thailand where they have decent presence. Secondly, they are now part of the Renault Nissan Alliance and im sure the thought would be that when Nissan has been struggling for ages in India, why would they think Mitsubishi can do any better?

The days of the Lancer and the Pajero are long gone. These are now legacy products that have no big fan following from the next generation. And the cars in which these segments exist are itself very niche now, with the sole exception of the Fortuner doing well.

Secondly, what is the USP that Mitsubishi would bring to the table? They simply dont have the resources that a new player like Kia or MG have.

What is absolutely pathetic is the way some of these iconic Japanese brands have ignored India! The brand recall of Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Isuzu are just phenomenal. While Mazda did not enter India, Nissan and Mitsubishi did move early, more so Mitsubishi with its Lancer which actually did pretty well. And yet nothing to show after all these years!

I dont believe that Mitsubishi is ever going to turn around anything in India. They are not even going to be a niche player like Skoda or VW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks