Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How did you sell your last car?
Dealer/broker 121 23.73%
Individual / via online classifieds 239 46.86%
Exchanged for a new car 139 27.25%
Other 11 2.16%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Re: How did you sell your last vehicle - Dealer / Direct / Exchange?

I have been very fortunate. Every motorcycle and car I have owned got sold in less than a week. Friends bought my motorcycles and I have sold my cars mainly through online listings. I usually give a detailed description and make sure to list all the negative points along with the positives, and I set the price competitively with a no bargain clause.

One of the buyers in fact bought my car a day after I listed it without even seeing it personally (he lived in Michigan and I lived in California at the time). We video conferenced and he sent me payment before booking for the shipping. I don't think I can ever get myself to do that.

I have had couple of 2 wheelers that we kept till we had no other choice but to scrap it. It was mostly used by my Dad's staff to run errands when they were close to its end life.

When it comes to buying, that's whole another experience. The minimum time I have spent hunting for a car or motorcycle (I usually buy used) has so far been between 3 - 9 months. It's extremely time consuming to say the least.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:39   #32
BHPian

2007 Hyundai Santro -- exchanged at showroom
2013 Nissan Micra -- sold to seconds dealer (not a good decision)
Old 17th June 2020, 12:45   #33
BHPian

Voted for Individual. My first car was a Premier Padmini 1992 which was sold to a scrap dealer since there was no demand for the car in 2006. A new battery for it costed Rs 2500 while the best offer I got for it was Rs 7500, that too from the scrap dealer. After that I sold my 2003 Indigo LS and 2011 Xylo E8 to known individuals who are happy with the vehicles till date. I always found that selling a car to an individual got a better price than selling it to a used car dealer.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

• Maruti 800- Bought from True Value-Sold to True Value in exchange for a Zen- Bought and sold to the same salesman
  • Maruti Zen - Bought from True Value - Sold to True Value in exchange for a SX4 - Bought and sold to the same salesman as above (he had become a sales lead)
  • Maruti SX4 - Sold through classified. Was prepared for a long wait. Got sold in a day to a guy who had a craze for the SX4. Did not even negotiate the price. So I got a very good deal too.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:57   #35
BHPian

Voted Dealer. Just to avoid the hassles to attending to multiple calls, being available time and again to show the car to prospective buyers, haggling on the price, transfer of ownership etc. Don't have the bandwidth for these.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:11   #36

I was changing my XUV 500 (5 yrs old, W8) for a XUV 300 W 8(O) and wanted to exchange it at the dealer for minimum hassle. I got a quote from the dealer, but there was a delay in the delivery of the new car in the colour I wanted. On the drive home in the old car, I stopped at a CARS 24 and asked them for a quote. Their prompt, professional evaluation was a revelation for me AND their offer was 25000 more that the exchange value assessed by the dealer. Obviously I sold the car to them and went home in a Cab.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:21   #37
BHPian

I sold my previous car in 2016, Hyundai Getz Crdi 2008 model to an Individual, who had business links with my cousin.

Though the price I got was a little below my expectation, I had some peace of mind, as one of the individuals in the circle of known people owns the car I owned earlier, also can rely on him till the complete transfer of RC happens.

I learnt late that he happened to be a newbie driver with no Driving License. I had to retain the car keys with me until he got his Driving License. Scary times!
Old 17th June 2020, 13:23   #38
BHPian

I sold two vehicles in the past, Our 2009 Wagon R and my Karizma ZMR 2010 through Olx.

I feel, you need patience to deal with those low ball offers that you keep receiving, however eventually you will find a genuine buyer.

However for the paper work (which is the most important part) I always approach a known agent to get it done. Thanks to the team-bhp checklist, I did not give the delivery of these vehicles before the transfer paperwork was done.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:28   #39
BHPian

Limited by parking availability, one tends to trade in old cars for new ones.
I had a lot of trouble parking my old car while the new one arrived whileI was still negotiating with potential buyers. Eventually it went to a pre-worshipped car dealer.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I've tried the online listing route several times, genuine buyers are few and far apart though we sold our Octy Combi & 525d through the same.

What generally works for us though are using brokers on a commission basis which is a win-win in terms of ease + pricing.

We first get quotes from used car dealers - showroom, cars24, etc. to get a base MIN price; and from there take it via online or brokers.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:42   #41
BHPian

All the cars (included bikes as well) i sold since 2000

Indica DLX - exchanged for below Santro
Santro Zip Plus - to a dealer
Opel Corsa - to an individual (through friend)
Ford Fiesta - to an individual (in our own apartment complex)
Mahindra Thar - to a dealer (ad on OLX)
XUV5oo - to an individual (ad on OLX)
Toyota Corolla - to my colleague
Bullet Thunderbird - to an individual (TBhp Classifieds)
Bullet Desert Storm - to an individual (ad on OLX)

Most of the above sales happened in couple of days after posting advertisements and at reasonably good price

Swami
Old 17th June 2020, 14:04   #42
BHPian

I have never sold a car. I actually have never sold any of my vehicles or cycles. I still have my 1st gen TVS Scooty which I got at 16, my Top Gear cycle that I had in college and the first gen Bajaj Pulsar 180 that I had after college.
Old 17th June 2020, 15:28   #43
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Santro Xing - Sold in 2010 - Team BHP Classifieds
Fluidic Verna - Sold in 2012 - OLX/Quicker/Team BHP Classifieds (don't know which worked)
i10 - Sold in 2018 - Word of mouth

I prefer a direct sale to new owner. That way I can lay down my conditions and the process is simplified with the parivahan portal.
Old 17th June 2020, 15:29   #44
SRM
BHPian

Voted for exchanged for a new car.

I had 2 cars to sell for a new car that I was looking to buy. For both, I got the best quote from the dealer for exchange. I didn't try OLX as primarily it is a time-consuming process and wouldn't be comfortable with many people wanting to get it checked at a garage.

I did try selling one of my cars to friends/relatives as it was in excellent condition with very less usage. But that was taking time as well. Went to Cars24 as well but their quotes were ridiculously low compared to the dealer quotes. There was no scope left in negotiating the prices as well.

In the end the quickest and best quotes were from the dealer of the new car and went ahead with it.
Old 17th June 2020, 16:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
1980 YEZDI D250CL -- still have

1987 Nissan Jonga -- still have
Nice collection Sir. By the way am curious to know was the Nissan Jonga sold in open market in 1987 ? Or you got the disposal ones from Auctions ? Please share pics.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks