Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 13:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic BS6 Diesel pre-bookings open. Edit: Launched at Rs. 20.75 lakh

Honda dealerships have started accepting pre-bookings for the Civic BS6 diesel. The car will be launched in July 2020.

Honda Civic BS6 Diesel pre-bookings open. Edit: Launched at Rs. 20.75 lakh-2019hondacivic06.jpg

The Civic will be powered by a BS6-compliant 1.6-litre diesel engine. According to Honda, the diesel engine will be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission.

The tenth generation Civic is also available with a BS6-compliant 1.8-litre petrol engine that produces 139 BHP @ 6,500 rpm and 174 Nm @ 4,300 rpm. The petrol engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:30   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Civic BS6 Diesel pre-bookings open. Edit: Launched at Rs. 20.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Civic will be powered by a BS6-compliant 1.6-litre diesel engine. According to Honda, the diesel engine will be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Honda could just mate the existing 9-speed ZF gearbox from CR-V diesel. The combination already existed in the BS4 CR-V so not many changes will probably be needed for putting it into the Civic diesel (unless space constraints). After no automatic in WR-V, which would have somewhat helped a possibility in reviving sales, (even a detuned one like in Amaze would have done wonders as there is no diesel-automatic combination in the segment apart from AMTs), I am unsure what the top management in Honda India is thinking.
Researcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:47   #3
BHPian

Honda is selling early 3 digit number of these every month (maybe even 2 digit for Diesel), and still bringing in the BS6 engine. Even though this is a management which has clearly not been in its right mind for a while now.

On the other hand we have Maruti Suzuki, king of each of its segments and moving 4 digit Diesels every month, yet not willing to make tweaks and bring in a BS6 Diesel. Silliness? Egoistic? Overconfident? or Visionary?
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Great. D segment sedan with a manual diesel. In a world where the Hyundais, Kias and even VAGs (within occasional limitation) are offering a multitude of engine, fuel and tranny combinations Honda seems to be living in the year Y2K when it comes to this segment.

They got the approach right with the all new Amaze. Why they can't replicate the same with the Civic is beyond me.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:55   #5

Even when the market is shifting towards SUVs, Honda still does not care in bringing one for our market.
Coming back to the Civic, a 120hp diesel engine is not at all sufficient and an auto box should've been there by now(ZF gearbox from the CRV). Most importantly, where's the manual variant of the sweet 1.8NA engine which the enthusiasts preferred?
TwinTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 16:45   #6
BHPian

Except for auto-heads like us, does the general public care about such stuff? On numerous threads for different manufacturers, we have asked "Why not the international versions for us?"

I think that most auto-manufacturers have stereotyped India as a "non-mature, bling-desiring, small-car market and is not a safety-conscious, performance-focused one". Sorry for the many marketing keywords there!

I also think the quality of auto manufacturing (including components) are not always world-class, so vehicles manufactured here may not have the same level of predictable quality as, say, in Japan.

I may be completely wrong here and the reasons may be different!
sridharj77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:46   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
I think that most auto-manufacturers have stereotyped India as a "non-mature, bling-desiring, small-car market and is not a safety-conscious, performance-focused one".
They may do so at their own peril! The challengers are many; there is a reason why Mercedes is no.1 in the luxury car market, while Kia had such a stunning first innings. They do NOT have this mentality.

Thanks to the internet, the Indian customer is an extremely astute, intelligent, shrewd & knowledgeable one.

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2020 at 18:47.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 18:57   #8
BHPian

The diesel civic is just sad, honda should really bring the turbo petrol with a decent gearbox to India, seeing the fan following of the old civic and the success demand for sporty turbo sedans like octavia vrs, I think a sporty civic would sell if priced right. The handling dynamics of the current civic are pretty good and much better than the standard octavia 1.8, so a sportier engine gearbox combo will definitely complete the product.
Old 16th June 2020, 19:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

VW/Skoda get the 1.0L TSI and 1.5L TSI EVO engine with ACT and Honda can't get the 1.5L turbo petrol citing indian fuel quality.

They did the same for diesel saying they can't get the 1.6L diesel in India cause of fuel quality.

Then along came the CR-V and Civic with 1.6L diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 20:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
The diesel civic is just sad,
It is not that bad in reality. During the media drive, I had a lot of fun with the diesel climbing up and down Nandi Hills - did it twice! The lovely gearbox and the the torque totally nullified the power deficit. Am sure there is a solution to get more power out of it on the after-market!
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is not that bad in reality. During the media drive, I had a lot of fun with the diesel climbing up and down Nandi Hills - did it twice! The lovely gearbox and the the torque totally nullified the power deficit. Am sure there is a solution to get more power out of it on the after-market!
One buying a 20lacs+ car should not get power figures from a segment below. Adequate is never fun and civic is supposed to be fun. We have the corolla diesel for an adequately powered diesel sedan. Just my 2 cents.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terrorist View Post
One buying a 20lacs+ car should not get power figures from a segment below. Adequate is never fun and civic is supposed to be fun. We have the corolla diesel for an adequately powered diesel sedan. Just my 2 cents.

You might be correct but as some ladies might say size (of the wallet) is not everything, it is the overall "experience"!
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You might be correct but as some ladies might say size (of the wallet) is not everything, it is the overall "experience"!
Yes, I never said that the civics driving experience was/is bad. I liked the handling alot, but I would chose the cvt petrol over this diesel even though the cvt box was no prize.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 21:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Honda might be doing this just to indirectly say that the management is full of dumb fellows.

They are just giving up on every chance they had to capture some market share.

Take this Civic for example, it's way better than Elantra, but what stopping Honda from offering Diesel Automatic when Octavia doesn't offer anymore. The Corolla is dead, so Honda is giving it's advantage to Hyundai. Because it offers both Manual & Auto Option in Diesel & Petrol. In Civic, you have opposite, the Diesel Auto & Petrol Manual would have made it terrific package. But Honda is just ignoring it.

Same with CR-V, they discontinued it citing less sales but they should have used that opportunity to offer same combo in Civic to add some value proposition. But again they failed.

Now wait for this big announcement.

Read it carefully,

Honda will NOT be offering New 5th Gen City with Diesel Automatic Option. Yes, you read it right. New City will be available only in Diesel Manual. Petrol will continue with CVT/Manual Option.

Wondering why ? According to Honda, the low Diesel sales is the reason for it. That's it.

But according to me, it's the Smaller Amaze & Bigger Civic. Let me elaborate,

Honda offers Amaze with Diesel CVT Option, (It's detuned to offer smoother driving experience). Same combo (Power to Price Ratio) won't work in a much expensive City. So, Honda have to mate the CVT with existing 100bhp Diesel just for City. While the bigger Civic which comes only in Manual form won't be receiving Diesel Automatic because of again the price to power ratio. Honda will have tough time justifying the premium for Civic over New City when the difference in price between them would be close to 8 lakhs. (Assuming City D CVT is around 20 lakhs & Civic D AT is 28 lakhs). No one will pay 8 lakhs for 20 odd additional horses despite the Civic being much better dynamically. One thing to remember is the new City is much bigger and also as loaded as Civic. So, this will definitely kill the Civic just like it did in Early 2009 when 3rd Gen City was just launched.

Honda needs to put on their thinking cap and offer much to buyers. Let buyers decide what they want and not. Kia has done very well in this aspect.

I fail to understand why Honda is taking so many wrong decisions, even as time flies by, they just keep rubbing salt on the wound.

I was a die hard fan of Honda, but this no longer is a brand it was once. They are slowly indicating exit from market. In another 5 years Honda will be new Chevrolet if they continue with such blunders. The latter did the same mistakes and that hurt them badly.

So, Honda themselves have to answer this question as to why are they offering Diesel CVT in their cheapest product Amaze and totally neglecting it on Premium Sedans City & Civic.

If at all the demand for Diesel is very less, why even bother offering it.

Phew, When a common man like me can understand the situation, why cannot Honda ? Only God knows.

I wish one day that car customization becomes a reality in India like abroad where you can select every bits & pieces you want and get it manufactured.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 22:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

So, Honda themselves have to answer this question as to why are they offering Diesel CVT in their cheapest product Amaze and totally neglecting it on Premium Sedans City & Civic.

If at all the demand for Diesel is very less, why even bother offering it.

Phew, When a common man like me can understand the situation, why cannot Honda ? Only God knows.

I think it's just an excuse, the real problem is Amaze being diesel AT using a detuned engine. It produces 80 HP with 160 nm torque. They wouldn't be able to hide the short comings of the same in the City hence not launching it with an Automatic. Moreover, on paper too it would look extremely weak when a product like Verna would have double the power and a slicker Torque Converter on offer. The City needs the Civic's 1.6L Diesel but Honda being Honda won't offer the same in the City citing costs.
YashD is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks