Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 13:31   #121
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Voted for the Rapid base variant.

But did this only on the merit that the car deserves for being a safe car at this price point. Even though I have not driven one yet it did always feel like a solid car. Also, I am assuming that Volkswagen has not compromised on safety of the car over the years to maximize profits.

But truth be told I would get a Tata Nexon XM variant (retails at 7.7L ex-showroom) at this price point. I don't see any reason why I should be hemmed in by the segment segregation that cars are put into (C segment, D segment, Crossover, Sedan hatch does not really matter to me).

For me, a 5 star safety rating, ESP, Traction Control, Hill hold and even Roll over mitigation make this a decent car for the price. Nexon has increased its prices quite a lot since it was launched but that was to be expected.

The fact that you get a more modern cabin (though i still like the timeless design of the rapid more...I don't want my first car to look just like the 10 year old one parked next to mine) and even projector headlamps and LED tail lamps which makes the car look fresh from the outside is hard to ignore.

One thing I disliked the the lack of rear adjustable head rest in Nexon for a car that has safety features pretty much nailed down.
JithinR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:44   #122
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Voted for the Rapid base trim.
Though the Rider edition is based on the base variant, it does get most of the essential features, rest can be added aftermarket. The best handling car has become more affordable now.

Would definitely go for Rapid Rider edition.
Well done Skoda
Old 19th June 2020, 20:58   #123
BHPian

I really don't know if most people abuse their cars to the point of having to replace huge chunks of them every service, or if they even drive them off cliffs. Because a well maintained Skoda doesn't prove to be a hassle at all. I agree, the A.S.S is literally just that (!) and though the cost of certain parts may be higher for some TDI engine models, it surely isn't a nightmare as it is made out to be (if you don't count failing parts which, thankfully, the Vento siblings don't experience unless they're a lemon). The service costs are reasonable.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:26   #124
BHPian

Skoda Rapid, it has to be.

If you have already one sedan with you, and another car becomes a necessity, then a handsome smart hatch would make sense to me. Especially an automatic. In that case too, I do not see a compact sedan making its significance.
Old 20th June 2020, 00:53   #125
BHPian

Totally in love with this car, i have owned a Rapid Early 2013 model, Love the blood red color. 6 years +1.2 lac kms driven and absolute gem of a car, all servicing done from workshop. I wish i didnt sell this car. Here are some of the pictures. Ambition plus trim
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-photoeditor_20190525_234516097.jpg  

Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-photoeditor_20190521_0655550432.jpg  

Puneet0051 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 01:35   #126
BHPian

Re

Voted for the Rapid.
I would have opted for the Rapid- rider edition if i was in the market for a sedan. The rider edition gets many features for a full sized sedan at that price point. The only downside being a lack of color choices, as it looks best in red IMO.
Old 20th June 2020, 12:46   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Totally in love with this car, i have owned a Rapid Early 2013 model, Love the blood red color. 6 years +1.2 lac kms driven and absolute gem of a car, all servicing done from workshop. I wish i didnt sell this car. Here are some of the pictures. Ambition plus trim
Nice mods, where did you get the projector headlamps and black fog lamps? I am assuming they’re either from the black package Rapid or Superskoda...?
Old 20th June 2020, 12:51   #128
BHPian

Voted for the Rapid.
Its decently loaded for a base trim. I'd just swap the rims and I'm good to go. I'm sure I'll forget to crib about less features the moment I step on that gas pedal
Old 20th June 2020, 13:07   #129
KPR
BANNED

Well what to say ! Applied for a TD for Rapid at Skoda website. No response/message since last 4 hours. Although the site claims we will be contacted. Not even an acknowledgement message to my phone for showing interest. Come on Skoda! Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-skoda.jpg
Old 20th June 2020, 14:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Well what to say ! Applied for a TD for Rapid at Skoda website. No response/message since last 4 hours. Although the site claims we will be contacted. Not even an acknowledgement message to my phone for showing interest. Come on Skoda! Attachment 2018625
I think in keeping with the Covid times, remain patient. Skoda is responsive (from the TD of Skoda 1.8 TSi TD I had a few months back). It's a great car with a new engine (from reviews) and at a wonderful price. Would have liked a full face-lift to go with the new engine.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:26   #131
BHPian

Its a very tricky question to answer actually. The thing is at various price points one can do cross shopping and again at various price points there will be customers with different needs. I believe the customers for Rapid base variant and compact sedans will be different for most cases.

No doubt Rapid is reasonably equipped, has got superior build, engine and class. So car vs car will get Rapid better points but it boils down to requirements of customer.

Diesel ?
Well Amaze, Aspire or Aura

Diesel + automatic (low running cost + ease of driving)
Amaze

Cheap + Ease of driving (clutchless drive) ?
AMT variants which are cost effective solutions.

Availability of sales and support in lower tier cities ?
Maruti's dzire or even Hyundai and Tata.

Space, comfort and equipment as priority?
Again a top variant dzire or Aura

Converting customers aspiring these points as priorities will find it difficult to settle with Rapid.

Even for Rapid there will be cars like lower variants of EcoSport, Nexon and Brezza as alternatives.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:34   #132
BHPian

I am not in market for a new car.

I own a reliable car (Zest mjd 90 at 44k/4.5 yr) but with resale value at lowest,
Therefore selling my current car at this time doesn't make any sense at all and even in future my next priorities would be an Automatic and may be an SUV, so a Rapid doesn't fit there also.

Still I voted Yes because of sheer VALUE this car provides, and it's not due to low price but important part is a relatively no compromise and well built car at this price.

If I am in market today, would just pick a carbon steel Rapid and replace wheels with oem alloys.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:14   #133
BHPian

Voted for Rapid Rider.

If it’s a sedan (boot space and interior space being the main parameter), I’d pick this over the compact sedan.
Old 21st June 2020, 17:52   #134
BHPian

Didn't vote for Skoda:
Although at the price point it comes it apparently seems a great value proposition but cosider these following points:

1.Most of the test drive videos on the youtube suggest one thing, that the kick of the turbo and the fun to drive factor of the acceleration of the 1.0 TSI engine comes after 2500 rpm. If we end up driving the car at that powerband always fuel efficiency in city is going to be drastically low. Initially on seeing the ARAI rating of 18.97 Km/L, I thought in city we would get somewhere 12-13 with AC on. But Autocar review did point out that city efficiency was somewhere around 8 Km/L, and I think this might be the reason. 8 kmpl is too low for a small sedan and then obvously over time it will decrease.

2. Skoda service and have heard about their nagging AC issue in some owner's review.

I think the punchy Aspire diesel (but, not the petrol) offers the best value and fun factor.
docswarna26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 00:15   #135
BHPian

Yes & No

Yes : The Build Quality & Safety Features, one of my friend informed me of an rollover incident in triple figures involving Skoda Rapid - all the occupants were safe and suffered very minor injuries likes bruises & scratches.

No : Diesel Engine Discontinuation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks