Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 09:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?

Skoda has truly set the cat among the pigeons with the Rapid 1.0's launch. The base variant is cheaper than even some hatchbacks !

The refreshed Rapid with a 1.0-litre TSI petrol engine and manual gearbox is priced at Rs. 7.49 lakhs (ex-showroom, base variant).

The top variants of the Hyundai Aura MT are priced from Rs. 7.30 to 8.55 lakhs depending upon the engine, while the top-selling Maruti Dzire has its top manual variants priced from Rs. 7.48 to 8.28 lakhs. It’s a similar story with the Honda Amaze and Ford Figo. Even the Tata Tigor’s top manual variant retails at Rs. 6.99 lakhs – just Rs. 50,000 shy of the Rapid.

Here's a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a Rapid Rider over the top-end variants of sub-4 m sedans.

Pros:
  • Solid European build & handsome styling (despite its age)
  • High safety rating – The VW Polo achieved a 4-star rating in the Global NCAP crash test. The Skoda Rapid is nothing but a Volkswagen Vento – the sedan version of the Polo. We can expect it to perform similar to the Polo in crash tests.
  • Proper sedan looks – Say anything, but a sub-4 m sedan looks like a compromise. It seems like the manufacturer was forced to add an excuse of a boot onto a hatchback. No such problem with the Rapid. It is a proper sedan.
  • The Skoda badge – At least in India, the Skoda badge has higher snob value than Asian brands. Many people aspire to own a "Skoda".
  • Cabin has more space & better quality than many compact sedans which are built to strict costs.
  • More power & torque – With 108 BHP and 175 Nm on tap, the Rapid is more powerful than any petrol sub-4 m sedan in India, including the turbocharged Aura.
  • Better driving dynamics & high speed behaviour than the compact sedans.
  • Larger boot – Since the Rapid is not restricted to under 4 metres in length, it gets more space to play with and as a result, a larger 460 litre boot than compact sedans.
Cons:
  • Infamous Skoda after sales service! Skoda has a poor reputation when it comes to after-sales service, and many of its dealers are thieves. Its Asian rivals are way better on this front. Not only that, the company does not have as strong a presence in the country as say, Maruti or Hyundai.
  • Long-term reviews of the Vento / Rapid show inconsistent reliability. Expect bigger maintenance bills, especially after the car crosses 60,000 - 70,000 km. Whatever happens, make sure you take the 6-year extended warranty offered by Skoda.
  • Outdated looks – The Rapid dates back to 2011. While the car received updates to its exterior and interior with time, there is no denying that it is long in the tooth.
  • Poverty spec feature list – Alloy wheels, foglamps, auto-dimming IRVM, leather wrapped steering wheel, MID, electrically foldable ORVMs, touchscreen head-unit, reversing camera and many more features are missing.
  • Poorer resale value – The Rapid's base variant is unlikely to hold its value like a Maruti Dzire or Honda Amaze.
  • No choice of automatic gearbox - The Rapid is available only with a manual gearbox. Most sub-4 m sedans are available with an automatic transmission.
  • No diesel engine. VW & Skoda didn't do their homework for the BS6 emission norms.
  • Limited colour choice – The Rapid Rider is available in 2 colours only. These include Candy White and Carbon Steel.

Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-rapid-rider.jpg

So, would you buy the Rapid 1.0 (base variant) over equivalently priced compact sedans (top variants)?

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2020 at 12:16.
Aditya is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

• As the only car of the house, yes, I would pick the Rapid. I don't care about models being old (all the cars I currently own are discontinued) and as the one car of the house, I would appreciate the build, space, boot & safety (family does a lot of highway drives). The enthusiast in me will enjoy the engine & suspension. Would get the 6-year warranty and modify it a bit (representative picture attached). Rims, tyres, ICE and a blackened roof would be added straight from the showroom.

• If it's the 2nd car of the house, I would definitely pick a compact sedan over the Rapid. This is assuming that the primary car is already a bigger one. Reason for compact sedan would be an automatic gearbox, features, peace-of-the-mind ownership etc. Skodas can be absolute headaches to own in the long-term and I keep cars for 10 years.

Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-dsc_5440-rapid-2-saran-nair-photography__1496646810_58.68.14.74.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2020 at 10:09.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Skoda horror stories notwithstanding, I would buy the Rapid over any competing sub 4 metre pseudo sedans. Even though it is barebones (relatively speaking), it still got all the basics covered such as power windows, de-fogger, climate control etc along with a stonking gearbox and engine combination. I have never liked compact sedans except the last generation Amaze to certain extent.
extreme_torque is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would not touch a Skoda unless its long term reliability and maintenance issues are ironed out to my satisfaction - and going by its legacy in India, that does not seem to be a near future event. Yes, the 1 liter engine is garnering good reviews across various reports, and the package does look enticing. However, as a consumer who values reliability and ease of maintenance as one of the top 3 criteria when purchasing a car, I will probably give the Rapid a miss. In terms of performance, there are other options available in India which would meet my use and purchase criteria better.

That said, for someone who is nonchalant about the iffy and inconsistent reliability/maintenance standards of a Skoda, this would make for a compelling proposition.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th June 2020 at 10:22.
arindambasu13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:20   #5
anb
BHPian

I will anyday opt for Skoda Rapid over compact sedans. Rapid looks way better than any compact sedan. It has got most of the necessary features except for rear power window controls on the driver side. Rapid has got best build quality, ride and handing and performance. Aura and Dzire top ends are much more expensive than Rapid. Only Aspire and Tigor are reasonably priced. One can always add alloys and RCD340 as aftermarket options later.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Rapid, any day

It is a proper, well engineered, no nonsense sedan that is extremely competitive and relevant even today, despite its age. Missing features like alloys can always be added later on, but you can’t add better build quality, superior parts, better suspensions or better safety.

It is comfortable. It is spacious. It has a big boot. It is safe. It drives very well. Seemingly, it is decently economical too. It covers all bases. And it is extremely well priced. Let me rephrase that. It is priced honestly, with no stupid premium otherwise so conveniently charged by cut price products masquerading as premium.

No marketing BS. An honest car at an honest price.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:46   #7
BHPian

In spite of my stubborn stand to never buy a Skoda again, should admit, Rider is tempting every time I see it. I wish Zac Hollis sees this thread. All the `Pros' mentioned are negotiable, but the first two Cons in the list are not. Nope, one thought of my service experience is enough to pour cold water on my rising,... gusto.
2cents is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I would not touch a Skoda unless its long term reliability and maintenance issues are ironed out to my satisfaction - and going by its legacy in India, that does not seem to be a near future event.
Was of the same opinion earlier, and I would be really worried about putting 15 lakhs on the top-end variant of the Rapid, but I have no such doubts regarding the Rider variant. If I'm looking for a petrol car within the 10L budget - the Skoda Rapid Rider definitely is my current favourite. The amount saved compared to the top-end version can probably be used towards 'Skoda service scams rescue fund'.

Reasons -

1. Turbo-petrol motor - I like to have excellent midrange punch and have a good liking for these small turbo petrols these days. The Hyundai 1.0 TGDi was excellent, 1.2 TSi DSG combination was faultless - and have high hopes from this 1.0 TSi. I would have picked this against most 1.5 NA motors (Ciaz, Yaris etc) and even including the 1.5 iVTec in the City- so the pricing looks especially yum!

2. Price. Cheaper than i10 Nios Turbo, Aura Turbo, Polo 1.0 TSi - or any other car with a good turbo petrol motor. Grand i10 had a bad crash safety - which could be the case for Nios/Aura too - which makes me wary to purchase those options even with the brilliant 1.0 TGDi. And paying more for a similarly older, but cramped Polo doesn't make much sense - for a primary car which has to do both family and enthusiast duties.

3. Build Quality - The platform is tried and tested to be safe. Can't be said about the compact sedan options.

4. Useable features list - Two airbags, ABS, Climate Control, Double-Din audio with bluetooth and other essentials, full power windows, power adjustable ORVMs, steering wheel with reach and rake adjust, arm-rests for front and back seats, rear a/c vents etc.
Alloy wheels can be added after-market to make it look good. Ofcourse, the good Carbon-Steel colour option helps!

Of course - you would miss out on features like a touchscreen audio system which is considered a basic necessity by today's standards - but the engine, build quality, looks and dynamics - along with the pricing compensates that IMHO - for someone on a budget.

For a person like me looking to upgrade from a 2012 car, there is nothing that I miss out compared to the top-end features back then that I am used to. Rider now is probably just as good as a top-end Rapid when initially launched.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2020 at 11:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:03   #9
BHPian

If the Skoda Rapid Rider 1.0 comes with an automatic transmission option at a reasonable premium over this manual transmission variant, then it is definitely a yes from me.

The last few years in Bangalore have taught me that an automatic transmission or the lack of it can be a deal-breaker.
TejasKinger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Was of the same opinion earlier, and I would be really worried about putting 15 lakhs on the top-end variant of the Rapid, but I have no such doubts regarding the Rider variant. If I'm looking for a petrol car within the 10L budget - the Skoda Rapid Rider definitely is my current favourite. The amount saved compared to the top-end version can probably be used towards 'Skoda service scams rescue fund'.
I certainly hope that there are a sizeable number of Indian customers who adopt your line of thinking and pick up the car. After all, that is probably the only way the brand is going to grow stronger in our market and possibly adopt better practices as far as their after sale ownership experience is concerned. I have always liked the Skoda/VW cars in terms of design and build, but never managed to drum up the confidence to vote for them with my wallet.

As for me, I'd personally pick the City's 1.5 iVTEC over this for its combination of performance, reliability and practicality
arindambasu13 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:08   #11
KPR
BANNED

Any day a lower segment car in top trim for me if my money is fixed. I always have the opinion that factory fitted is premium over after market ones. I cannot accept to see same car with better feature running parallel to mine in roads. A top trim of Freestyle diesel is what I will prefer over low/mid variant of Ecosport diesel for my budget. So I will not prefer rider variant of Skoda instead settle with Aura/Aspire top most variant.

Last edited by KPR : 17th June 2020 at 11:10.
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:12   #12
BANNED

I would definitely opt for the Skoda Rapid Rider. Even though I won't get the goodies that I would get in the top end variant of say an Amaze, It can still be lived without. Skoda with it superb build quality and its not to expensive price tag would be my pick. There is a lot of space in the backseat of the rapid and its the most VFM car in its segment.
Thanks,
Tachyonites.
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd definitely go for the Rider.

My reasons are that all the compact sedans have forgettable designs and/or are very quirky looking. Hyundai especially has added a huge amount of electronics to the top variants which could also spell trouble later.

The Rider on the other hand has a timeless air about it (especially in Carbon Steel), can be spruced up with minimal investment (15" / 16" alloys, Michelin tyres (Energy XM2+ for 15" & P4ST for 16"), art leather seat covers and door inserts, an Android HU and you're done. Further, being a manual (or the incoming TC gearbox) and with overall less electrics, there is minimal risk of catastrophic failures like with DSG etc.

Excellent move by Skoda.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:52   #14
BHPian

I already have 1.6MPI and I would absolutely pick 1.0TSI base variant as a beater car and for the city. I wouldn't mind having two rapid's in the garage as they are brilliant cars and no other car has matched that experience in the segment and the segment below for me. I wouldn't mind about the service though as it's a hit or miss and keep my fingers crossed.

Even if it's a 10YO car, It still looks beautiful(especially the rear) and I keep looking it for sometime after I parked my car.

Last edited by gasinveins : 17th June 2020 at 12:18.
gasinveins is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
So, would you buy the Rapid 1.0 (base variant) over equivalently priced compact sedans (top variants)?
Voted for Rapid base variant.

None of the cars(except ford aspire?) given the table has decent build quality or driving dynamics. In most of the tough times bells and whistles wont save the day. I cannot put my family at risk because i could get a decent touch screen or leather wrapped steering with controls. And another thing, rapid is a world class product but not rest of the cars in the list.

Had it been the case like, rapid vs tata nexon vs ecosport tianium vs etc...then choice would be tough one.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks