Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 12:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

No, when compared to the diesel compact sedans like Aspire or Amaze.

But a resounding "Yes", if there is a strict requirement of a petrol car only. Besides, the additional 6th gear should yield slightly higher FE and tank range when compared to the petrol compact sedans on the highways.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 17th June 2020 at 12:24.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Voted for any compact sedan - Top variant. My only gripe is the lack of steering mounted audio and phone controls in rider variant. I don't care about the alloy wheels or other cosmetic features. Even a dealer provided option to fit the higher model's steering without voiding the warranty will tilt my choice to Skoda Rapid.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th June 2020 at 12:34.
Old 17th June 2020, 12:45   #18
BHPian

Voted for the Rapid Rider!
I'll any day choose a well-built European mid size sedan with a powerful turbo engine (0-100=10.03 seconds!) over the compact sedans/premium hatches which although offer a lot of bling but lack the dynamic abilities, overall quality and the modding capabilities of the Skoda!
I don't really care if the car is 8 years or 10 years old as long as it still offers great value and in this case, it's simply better than the cars offered in that price bracket.
And the brand Skoda definitely has way more snob value when compared with the Asians.
I just hope that they offer the 6 speed TC with the Rider variant too which will make things even more tempting!

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 17th June 2020 at 12:55.
Nazaar25 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I just suggested the Rapid to a friend whose aunt was looking to upgrade. She had a Jazz and wanted something that looked, felt and was perceived to be premium, but did not want to go beyond 11-12L. The Rapid seemed to be a perfect fit.

Kind of contradicts with my own guideline of always buying the top variant, but still voted for the Rapid.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes!

I would prefer the superior engineering of a vehicle from the next segment than the 'extra' features of the vehicle from the lower segment. However, there's catch - the vehicle in the higher segment should be superior in one or more ways(in terms of engine, handling and comfort) and the vehicle should have all the basic features in it. I believe in this idea and have executed it in the past.

In case of the Rapid Rider, it satisfies both the conditions and hence, would be my preferred choice.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th June 2020 at 13:09.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:12   #21
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The only thing which is missing in the Rider variant from my must have list is the steering mounted controls. Steering mounted controls for audio and phone are not only a convenience feature but an important safety feature. Don't care much about touchscreens or alloys as long as the engine is good.

My decision will depend upon whether it is possible to swap the steering with a higher variant and have the warranty intact. I believe in taking the maximum possible warranty and wouldn't wanna wait 5 years or more to get the steering swapped. I have seen many members raise this concern on Rapid 2020 launch thread and while some members have been quoted 20k for the swap, it is still not clear if that can be done at Skoda ASS while keeping the warranty intact.

I would rather go for the Polo Highline or the Aura 1.0 Turbo in the place of the rider variant if the steering swap is not possible. However, I will bite the bullet and go for the Rider variant rather than any of the other compact sedans like the Aspire, Amaze etc.

Since the question is a generic one,i.e. Rider variant vs all the other compact sedans, my vote is for the Rapid Rider.

Edit-

As per this post by the member shankha007-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4825319 (The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs)

It is now pretty much confirmed that Skoda service centres won't do the steering swap. My opinion on preferring the Polo Highline and the Aura Turbo over the Rider is much more affirm now.

With that being said, my vote still stands for the Rapid as I would prefer it over the other compact sedans in the segment.

Last edited by AYP : 17th June 2020 at 13:22.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

100% Yes.

Forget compact sedan, if I were in the market for any vehicle within a budget of Rs. 12 Lakhs OTR, the Rapid Rider would be a very strong choice for a long-term purchase where resale is a non-issue.

Dated interiors aside; the mature ride & handling, coupled with the solid build, and a motor that sounds like fun make a very strong case for itself. I can deal with a few omissions in features - most of which can be got after market, and with the amount saved - probably better quality too (seat covers, ICE, 16" tyres, etc.)
The 6 year extended warranty only goes to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kind of contradicts with my own guideline of always buying the top variant, but still voted for the Rapid.
Same here - but in this case, it just about works because of how good value the car is.

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th June 2020 at 13:23.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:26   #23
BHPian

Voted Yes !
Have never owned a skoda before. Always wanted to own one for their design language(across all lines). Now with this aggressive pricing, it's a another reason to go with. But wasn't the rapid priced at 6.99 L not long ago? Or its hyped up this time because it was launched with 2 other models of their line up?
Old 17th June 2020, 13:28   #24
BHPian

To me somehow the rapid looks too dated, the car looks old even at the showroom. I would rather get the Tata Nexon turbo at 7.7 lakhs. Safer than the sub 4m sedans, has more space and good reliability as well with parts being cheap. Also while on paper it may be slightly more powerful than the aura but the aura is lighter as well so it might still outperform the rapid on straigtline performance. Also from what i read here from the owners, skoda service is finicky about upgrades so one would be wary of losing the warranty to get the higher end model upgrades or modifications. Warranty is very essential for Skoda owners.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

If I am looking for an option in that price bracket, and some added luggage space is a necessity, I will pick the Rapid instead of the so called compact sedans. Even if the form-factor is old, it doesn’t look compromised like the compact sedans, the basics are right with a competent engine and gearbox and basic safety aspects are present. It will work well as single car in the household, or even as a second beater car. Small modifications like alloys, infotainment system etc. and it’s a compelling case.

However, in this price range if the boot is not a criteria, I may look at the top variant of hatchbacks like a Polo TSI or the Figo Freestyle TDCi. The latter especially has better safety kit, excellent diesel engine and is cheaper to run.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:50   #26
BHPian

Voted for Rapid Base Variant.

Its is simple for me as I own a Skoda Rapid Style Plus Diesel, 2015 model year and the latest variant having the combination of 1 liter TSI and Auto gear box is tempting.

Compact sedans are mostly hatch backs, with an exception of a few. I preferred the low seating and comfort of a sedan.

Now with the current road conditions, SUV's/Compact SUV's would be the ones I prefer.
Old 17th June 2020, 13:56   #27
BHPian

I voted for the top variant of a Compact sedan. Though, this is purely due to personal reasons.

I have an Octavia RS, so what I need now is a second car for the city. I have gotten used to certain features like Android auto/ Car play, steering mounted audio controls etc. which are a boon in the city and I absolutely need them. Considering I will be using it primarily in the city, I am not too worried about the performance. Safety is a concern with most compact sedans, but overall, I feel i will go with one over the Rapid.

Although, if I were to put my money, I will end up buying the Polo with the same engine. That is the best solution for me. I am not particular about the boot. I get all the features and the same performance. For a slightly higher price.

I feel an edit is required to the opening post- the Rider is available only in 2 colours, the white and the grey. The other colours are available only from the Ambition variant
Old 17th June 2020, 13:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Votes Yes!

The Rapid Rider is too good a package for the price it is sold at. For the first tome since the launch of the Renault Triber, we are seeing a launch at a mouth watering price point and I hope this is a sign of things to come. Although the platform is dynamically hard to beat by any of the Compact Sedans doing the rounds today, be it Amaze, Aspire, Altroz, Dsire etc. It is safer and more powerful too and is packed with most essential features. Swap out the Music system for one with Android Auto and Apple play and you won’t need steering mounted controls anymore. Even safer and easier than that would be voice activated assist through Ok Google or Hi Siri!

In the introductory write up. it is mentioned that the Rider is available in Silver and Toffee Brown as well, could someone confirm that? The Brown looks yummy and even better than the Steel Grey. No one would guess it is a base variant!

One thing beats me, maybe Zac Hollis can answer if he sees this. If the strategy of VW-Skoda was to play the value card in 2020/21 till their new line up arrives and offer cars from higher segments at prices of lower segments, then WHY-o-WHY did they take away the Ameo??

Imagine an Ameo Rider (or whatever they choose to call it) with the 1.0 TSI and equivalent features of the Rapid Rider. With a sub 4 meter platform and a sub 1200 cc engine, they get a huge GST benefit. Add that to the lower cost of production due to the smaller body. What price could they have offered the "Ameo Rider" at? Now imagine taking out some of the "nice to have" but "not need to have" features like the Auto Climate Control, Electrically Adjustable ORVMs, Rear AC Vents, Audio System etc. A base "Ameo Trendline" could have been launched at 5.99 lakhs! Now talk about value pricing, offering a compact Sedan for a subcompact hatchback price!! VW/Skoda could have shaken up multiple segments all at the same time.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 17th June 2020 at 14:13.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 14:24   #29
BHPian

Voted for skoda rapid base version. At a similar or slightly less price compared to top versions of most compact sedans i would be getting a proper sedan with top notch build quality, very good handling, rock solid stability & decent features in base variant. Rest features can be added aftermarket. Leaving the horrible aftersales aside, skoda is still a premium brand here & getting it at such a price is tempting indeed. Would definitely go for skoda rapid base version.
Old 17th June 2020, 15:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Eyes Closed it will be the Rapid. I dont think anything in that price range can match the Performance, the Sturdy build, Neutral handling manners and Presence as a single package !

Yeah adding a good set of Alloys and tyres would make it lot more attractive
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks