Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 13:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault Captur removed from website

Renault has removed the Captur from its Indian website. The SUV was not updated to meet BS6 emission norms.

Renault Captur removed from website-captur.jpg

The Captur was launched in India in November 2017. It was based on the same M0 platform that underpins the Duster. However, sales never took off and the car was a flop.

The SUV was offered with a choice of petrol and diesel engines. The petrol unit was a 1,498cc, 4-cylinder engine that produced 105 BHP @ 5,600 rpm and 142 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. It was paired with a 5-speed manual transmission. The diesel engine is a 1,461cc, 4-cylinder unit that produced 108 BHP @ 3,850 rpm and 240 Nm @ 1,750 rpm. The diesel was offered with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

At present, Renault lists only the Kwid, Triber and the Duster on its website.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault Captur removed from website

Actually a brilliant vehicle, should have been the replacement of duster. When Renault decided not bring in the new version of duster they should have replaced the duster with this one. Also I read somewhere that the Captur we get in India is completely different from Captur we get Europe. So essentially it was duster in Captur's clothes.
CarBot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 15:21   #3
BHPian

Isn't it coming back with the 1.3 turbo? If not, sad to see it go. I love the exterior design of the Captur and of course its ride and handling package. But as is the case with most Renault-Nissan products, they just don't click as a complete package. No offence to any existing owners, opinion is purely personal.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 15:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post
Actually a brilliant vehicle, should have been the replacement of duster. When Renault decided not bring in the new version of duster they should have replaced the duster with this one. Also I read somewhere that the Captur we get in India is completely different from Captur we get Europe. So essentially it was duster in Captur's clothes.
The Captur sold in Europe is much smaller to what we have here and is based on the Clio platform. Its all together a different car which looks similar. The Indian Captur is based on the first gen Duster platform and hence it's cheaper. It was primarily made for Russia, Brazil and India.
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:13   #5
BANNED

Serves them right, the company tried to fool the customers and got the stick. Never repeat such stupidities with customers, bring proper vehicles don’t substitute cheap products and give them names so as to cheat. It’s not that Renault and Nissan don’t have good vehicles in their portfolio, these cheapskates aren’t bothered about our market. If KIA could do such a great job,there is no reason for Nissan, Renault, VAG, Ford to tell lame excuses. You guys please pack up the bag if you aren’t focused.
The Rationalist is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:14   #6
BHPian

Never saw one on the road. Considering it was just a duster with an evening jacket, not too disappointed that it's gone. Did I say how I have never seen one on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Isn't it coming back with the 1.3 turbo? If not, sad to see it go. I love the exterior design of the Captur and of course its ride and handling package. But as is the case with most Renault-Nissan products, they just don't click as a complete package. No offence to any existing owners, opinion is purely personal.
Yea, that is their biggest problem here, isn't it.
Balthazar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Captur discontinued in India, Duster takes over as the brand's top-of-the-line product.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Well the Captur never took off in India and this forum definitely had a role to play in it.
I was first attracted to this forum at that time, seeing all the passionate posts and has never left.
Sree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Duster takes over as the brand's top-of-the-line product.
I wish someone senior from Renault reads the title of this article, especially the quoted part. Should lead to some hard introspection and clarity on what has gone wrong with the brand in India.

With Kwid and Triber, pretty evident that they do understand the market. But certainly not enough to thrive in the hyper-competitive segments they operate in.

Added later: Discontinuing Captur is a smart business decision, hardly any sales to justify it's presence. But without a halo product for the India market, overall it turns out to be a half-measure only.

Last edited by warrioraks : 18th June 2020 at 21:21.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Captur should have replaced Duster, but Renault made the reverse happen!

I wish they continue to bank on USP of their products rather than try to go "premium" and stuff. There is plenty of time to increase the prices once the product has established itself.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

The Captur was always going to be on life support, once Renault decided to cheat the Indian market.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-customer.html (The Renault Captur's new ad is ethically wrong & deceiving! Blatantly fooling the Indian customer)

Also, if this thread is any indication, it will be Mitsubishi deciding things in India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...vestments.html (Amidst the turmoil, Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi further strengthens the use of resources & investments)
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:53   #12
BHPian

Well they deserved the failure.

Guys at Renault Mayapuri, Delhi are my acquaintances who told me that the day Hyundai would launch its urban SUV, Creta, nobody would buy the Duster. And Renault as a brand is egoistic enough to offer schemes and discounts from time to time, as was the case with Fiat.

If you ask me, an owner of the Duster 85, I knew it would never appeal to those who are looking for the fit and finish of a Creta. The interiors were primitive and crude to touch.

In 2017, they came up with an answer, the Captur. It had a much premium interior but it looked like a swollen hatchback that drank gallons of water. Not just that, they didn’t offer the AMT, owing to its premiumness, which would have been better than having no Automatic at all. And with ZERO marketing strategy, it was bound to sink.

Had they launched the 2019 Duster instead, it would have been selling in decent numbers and Renault might have BS-6’ed the Diesel engines too.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 18th June 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Spelling mistake
dr.aviansh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 22:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I quite enjoyed the furore when they tried to sell this Duster in new clothes as the Euro spec model that had allegedly garnered rave reviews from the press.

They never imagined people would call them out for malpractice so fast.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 02:42   #14
BHPian

What I heard Last from Auto Show conversation with one of the journalists, they will re lauch it with 1.3 L turbo petrol along with some improvements/additions. Kind of a minor facelift with a new engine and gearbox combo. And as we all know this engine will make its way to Duster as well.
Since the renault showroom is very near by to my home, I saw quite a lot many Captur on daily basis and believe me Captur will instantly grab your eye balls with its European looks. Without any doubt, One of the best looking cars in crossover segment, unfortunately died due to multiple reasons.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 05:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Catastrophic for existing owners. A low production + India only model inevitably means accelerated shortages of unique components, glass items & body panels. Luckily, the engine & transmission is common across other models so no fear there.

Resale will tank like a brick and it's best to keep it for a longer period now.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed