Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 292 52.61%
No 263 47.39%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 13:14   #61

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)

Wanted an opinion from seniors
I have been offered 2020 model Mercedes E class 220d exclusive demo car(6000km ) for 54 lakhs on road. It is not registered and I would be the first owner. Is it a good buy. How much would be the service cost of E class. Thanks in advance��

Last edited by Sheel : 5th May 2021 at 19:40. Reason: Please capitalize wherever required. Thanks.
Old 5th May 2021, 14:19   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpkd View Post
wanted an opinion from seniors
I have been offered 2020 model mercedes E class 220d exclusive demo car(6000km ) for 54 lakhs on road. It is not registered and I would be the first owner. Is it a good buy. How much would be the service cost of E class. thanks in advance👍
Quite pricy + demo car would have been abused.
A new one begins at 63-64 for the facelifted E 220 exclusive : would be worth the additional outlay. If you sell your car within 5 years, you would also recover a decent amount of the difference in the form of resale value.
As a vehicle: this is not for the self driven at all. It's a nice car to be driven around sedately in.

Routine maintenance is on the higher side compared to it's peers : ₹30-40k for 1 year ,3rd year; ₹50K for 2nd Year; ₹80-100k for 4th year (gearbox oil change).

If you see yourself driving, look around for the BMW 6GT (mix between drive & driven) or the 530D (biased towards self drive).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpkd View Post
wanted an opinion from seniors
I have been offered 2020 model mercedes E class 220d exclusive demo car(6000km ) for 54 lakhs on road. It is not registered and I would be the first owner. Is it a good buy. How much would be the service cost of E class. thanks in advance
Check the car thoroughly. Take a test drive and check the underbody. If all is good then go ahead.
54 on road seems a good price. The new e class exclusive is around 80l on road. Even with discounts you are unlikely to get if for less than 75l. As for the pre facelift, e220d exclusive was selling at 67-68 on road in TN in Dec 2020. I believe Kerala prices are similar too.
We bought a demo car w213 in 2014, 7 months 7000kms run. Just sold it recently after owning it for 6 years and completing 70000kms. The car was a peach. It ran like clockwork. For Mercedes’s and BMW’s 6000kms is nothing, even as demo cars. It’s unlikely to have taken a toll.

If the car is in top shape I think u should go ahead considering the price.

If you are worried about maintenance and plan to keep the car for 5-6 years you can go for the basic star maintenance plan for 6years/5 years for around 3.5-3.8l. It’s given quite clearly in the website. You can check it.

Considering the 21lakh you will save compared to a new car, you might lose out only around 2.5-3l maximum when selling after 5 years compared to the 2021 facelift. Roughly you will end up saving 17l when compared to buying new after taking maintenance packs. That’s a substantial sum. Also consider the amount you will save on lower Emi’s. Invest properly and in 5 years that will be a large sum when you are upgrading.

Ps : If it was a Compass trailhawk or an Octavia 1.8tsi with 15000+ kms on the odo, I would not have recommended because it will likely have seen abuse. But 6000kms on an E class should be 96-97% as good as new

Last edited by Aditya : 6th May 2021 at 05:34. Reason: Quote tag fixed
spkrnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 16:01   #64
BHPian

Thank you for featuring my thread here! Well the car is not with me anymore but have had beautiful memories with it.

One characteristic that I feel is that the 250 4 pot diesel was a lot more noisier than the 350 6 cylinder engine. But the 250 had a better sense of 'thrust' due to the turbocharged nature compared to the linear nature in 6 cylinder.

Starting with the problems faced:
  • Did have a heat gasket problem with the temperature gauge going bonkers with the rising engine temperatures and a thermostat problem as well. This was at the
    1 lakh km mark.
  • Another problem was the wood discolouration. We decided to live with it because I did not want any tampering with the interior bits.
  • The gearbox was just dim witted. It was slow to respond to the throttle to the metal type of driving. This gearbox needed you to learn timing of the throttle input and the gearbox changes. Spend time with driving it and you'll know what I mean
  • The AC was anaemic. The back passengers would almost always complain during summers. The front passengers would however be as cool as cucumbers.
  • I felt the seat comfort at the back was good on its own. But the space was almost non existent ( I am over 6ft in height).
  • The Contis which were present during deliveries, always had bubbles, after an impact with a pothole. I was extremely fed up with these tyres and the Michelin Primacy LCs were a revelation in that regard.
  • Mercedes after sales were pretty good but the bills for the service was always a bit overwhelming even when you take into account the segment of the car. An FNG should be considered before you think of buying it pre worshipped. Take double checks, triple checks whatever but this pay off in the long run if you find a good FNG.

The positives:
  • The car was a highway dream. Always was fresh after a long drive
  • This car was Mercedes' version of a throwback. It brought back feelings of absolute build quality with the way it rode. The doors were heavy, every button felt the way it should feel (and better!). I might be a bit biased but at the end of the day the W212 really made feel what Mercedes stood for.
  • The steering was just different. Many people may have not liked it, but I liked it in a weird way. It wasn't as direct, as say for example, the way the Civic was, but it was very fluidic. It was like a 'flow' from one corner to the next.
  • The W212 was extremely reliable till around the 1 lakh km and I have driven it through many road conditions and it always instilled confidence in me.
  • This car had the full size spare
crux is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 22:47   #65
Team-BHP Support

In my hunt for an upgrade, I chanced upon an immaculately kept W212 E350 with 125000km on the clock.

This was two years older than my Jetta but it seemed to be well equipped. Car looked clean and for very little outlay it seemed okay. Vid6639 and I decided to check it out. Notes as follows:

1: It hid its miles well. It was tight and not a squeak or creak from it.
2: Slight groan from transmission initially then it warmed up.
3: Engine and transmission were butter smooth.
4: Steering is slow. You pilot it, not drive it
5: It belies its size, very manoeuvrable
6: Very relaxing and stress free
7: You might be going fast but there is no stress or drama

I liked the car but it might not be for me, I want some drama as I hardly commute any more. If I was looking for a tool to commute or something to transport me to an estate regularly, I would have plumped for it and ignored the 100k+ km. However, there was something burning within the engine but I do not think it was serious. The other issue is that I cannot play my iPhone through the interface.

Edit - the car had a Bangalore Club sticker so I was able to figure out original owner. He bought a Lexus!

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd August 2021 at 16:23.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 08:30   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Been seeing a lot of W212s around & my neighbour too bought a 10-year old one. One thing that really stands out is how well the car ages. The design still looks great - especially the rear & side profiles - while the paint & body panels of almost all W212s I've seen are in good shape. How a car feels after 10 years is a true indication of the maker's commitment & it sure looks like Mercedes took all the "cost cutting" criticism of the early 2000s seriously.

These cars are going dirt cheap in the used market.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 22:11   #67
BHPian

When is the last time you have seen a poll this close in any “Pre-worshipped car of the week” thread?

Think this is the right thread to ask this query. Car in question is a November 2012 W212 E250 Avantgarde, done 88000KM, single owner, complete history available at Benz service and last service done in 2022 at 80K. A 28 page PDF available as service history. Car is in company name and service bills are paid by the company so even wear and tear items like few trims and buttons which are faded has been changed. Each and every year whether car has done miles or not it has gone for yearly service. Complete suspension overhaul has been done in 2021, gear box oil has been changed as preventive maintenance they say, car drives well, like how a Benz should be, no squeak or rattle. Seats are in good condition, even driver seat is in perfect condition. Outside, few visible scratches, one small ding at driver side door, all original paint, original glasses, no rust, no leaks, in short one can say, well maintained.

What needs immediate attention?

Service is due in 2k.

Tires can last 5K after that you may be pushing it.

MH registration, owner relocated. Car is in Kerala and it will be used in Kerala.

For years I toyed with the idea of getting a W124 and even checked out few cars in Bangalore and in Kerala, slowly I realized it is near impossible to find a clean W124 and if anyone has one, they don't wanna sell it.

After W124, W212 E class is the one which I found appealing other cars like BMW 530d M-Sport F10 still demand a premium and not in my budget.

For me, this car will not be a daily drive, I do have other cars for that. Buying a luxury car is a dream many work hard to realize. Now, requirements and priorities can differ from people to people. Do I wish to own a luxury car at some point in my life? Yes. Will I buy a 70-80 lakh luxury car even if I have the money? Most probably no.

So my question is, after all the due diligence if this is a clean car, should I go for it? I do have the budget for it. I can close the deal somewhere between 7-8 lakh. You need to consider the fact registering in Kerala requires another 2.5 lakh or so.

Thanks

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-1682872235191.jpg

Last edited by jonesanto : 30th April 2023 at 22:35.
jonesanto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 22:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
So my question is, after all the due diligence if this is a clean car, should I go for it? I do have the budget for it. I can close the deal somewhere between 7-8 lakh. You need to consider the fact registering in Kerala requires another 2.5 lakh or so.
Attachment 2445752
Hi,

My family owns a 2010 E250CDi that we purchased back in December of 2010, and has run 130,000 kilometres. I can certainly vouch for it still has a solid build quality, and it's hard to say that it is already almost 13 years old! (See pics)

The car is quite an eye-catcher and a lovely machine! Still catches speed in no time and is very punchy!

If the car is completely clean, then I would say go for it, especially at that price. One thing I would suggest is to get the infotainment upgraded to an Android system that supports proper Bluetooth, if you like listening to music, or else the stock system is also good.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-f800407dcdbf45bda34ef3cdf278bbba.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-img_2156.jpeg  

B747fan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think this is the right thread to ask this query. Car in question is a November 2012 W212 E250 Avantgarde, done 88000KM, single owner, complete history available at Benz service and last service done in 2022 at 80K. A 28 page PDF available as service history.

Thanks
From your description, the car seems well maintained. For 7-8 lakhs, I think this is a good deal provided you have additional moolah to take care of unforeseen expenses and the time to go behind it when things go wrong.

If the above two criterias are met, I can assure you it'll be an interesting experience to run this beauty! Treat this purchase as a hobby and I'm pretty sure you'll have the right mindset to deal with it.

BTW, this is my favourite version of the E Class - absolutely classy!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 15:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
When is the last time you have seen a poll this close in any “Pre-worshipped car of the week” thread?

What needs immediate attention?

Service is due in 2k.

Tires can last 5K after that you may be pushing it.

MH registration, owner relocated. Car is in Kerala and it will be used in Kerala.

Thanks

Attachment 2445752
I recently acquired a BMW 7 Series from a family member. It is a 2014 model and was maintained properly. The car has stayed in family so there was no diligent inspection involved. I sent it to BMW and bam. Got a bill for 4+ lakhs. This is just to give an idea of how these luxury cars work. You can get one for cheap but the maintenance costs say for an E-class will be on par with 70+ lakh rupee car. If that works for you, go ahead. I have other luxury cars also and I am blessed enough that I can maintain them but it is an expensive procedure to say the least. If you don't mind spending 50+ thousand rupees for every service and a couple of lakhs for parts every now and then, this is the right car for you. Hope this can help.
sirjokhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 21:43   #71
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, appreciate it.

The deal did not go through, we could not come to an agreement regarding the price, hence dropped it.

I went through multiple Team BHP threads regarding the purchase of a used luxury car and got an idea as to what I will be getting into. If I get a clean car, I can afford to spend one lakh yearly for maintenance and once in a while an additional one lakh would be fine too. But if it’s not a clean car then it will become a money pit. Also let’s say I use the car for 5 years and the car will be 15 years old, then what will be the resale value? I may hardly get thee or four lakh if I am lucky.

Used luxury car purchase is never a logical decision and if you are the one to think logically when it comes to car purchase then these cars are not for you.

Thanks
jonesanto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:46   #72
BHPian

Quick suggestion, try a 3 series as your first foray into german cars. Maintenance is where you need your money at. Keep a budget of 15 lakhs and try to maintain another account of 15-20,000/ month. It’s manageable to maintain, just need a bit of patience and dedication
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Used luxury car purchase is never a logical decision and if you are the one to think logically when it comes to car purchase then these cars are not for you.

Thanks
Sorry to hear it didn't go through but I'm sure you'll refresh your wishlist again.

I disagree with the "logical" bit though. In my case, I live in Godforsaken Yangon and look forward to my drives when I get to Kolkata. I wanted a bigger smile than our Vento 1.2 TSI (which BTW is now our "dependable" car - go figure!) could put on my face. Enter W204 (7y old). It came for 12L, has been with me for 2 years now, needed a 3L suspension job and that's it. I drive it twice a year for an average of 3000km annually. Dad and I drove it from CCU to BOM recently (and back). So it works out to be very logical for me. Luxury? Check. Different? Check. Light-on-pocket? Small Check. Smile? BIG check.
DrSumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:59   #74
BHPian

I'm one of the folks who voted a resounding yes; and in true TBhp style, I put money where my mouth is and bought a Pre LCI W212 E350 CDI with just over 45k on the ODO. Perfect blend of old school mafia, opulence and an abundance of smooth power delivery. It's also effortless to drive around the city. I've put about 400km on it so far in two weeks. Sacrilege, I know!

I'm currently scouting for a reliable independent garage in Bangalore who can be trusted with repairs. And also a place to source parts locally. Would appreciate any leads. Looking at Marque One and Code 6 right now.

A couple of pics because why not.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-e3501.jpg
The long bonnet. Quintessential Merc. Wont be confused for any other brand.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-e3502.jpg
She's a beauty. The wheels will be changed to AMG style soon.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Mercedes E-Class (W212)-e3503.jpg
The three digits that make all the difference. Only mileage is Smiles Per Litre here.

I may start a thread if there is enough interesting things happening. There are a few issues but thankfully all minor and being taken care of mostly by the previous owner. The only real gripe (unsolved) I have with the car right now is the audio system which is a true (unwelcome) blast from the past in an otherwise timeless design. I am in the process of upgrading this to a 12" floating tablet style headunit but have hit a few snags along the was as my stock unit is malfunctioning. The tab style unit is a piggyback and needs the stock unit to function. Figuring out how to replace or repair it. Any tips?

For now, the change list is as below:
  1. Full suspension change. The rear shocks are a bit shot. Mulling between stock and Bilstein B6. Advice?
  2. Full audio upgrade.
  3. Seatcovers to all black.
  4. Centre Console sliding lid is broken. Needs replacement.
  5. Both sunvisors are dirty and missing mirror covers. Needs replacement. Advice?
  6. AMG wheels or similar. Sticking to 17" to retain comfort.
  7. Partial respray - there are a few scratches. Nothing major.
  8. Full stealth mode? All chrome delete, wheels to black? Not sure yet.
  9. Headlamp upgrade. Stock headlamps are useless for the most part. Will mostly go for a projector swap.

Current repairs being carried out: (Car is currently with the previous owner for some of these fixes as these were agreed upon.)
  1. There is some noise from the steering while turning when stopped or barely moving. It doesn't sound like the rack; mostly pump.
  2. CEL due to a glow plug sensor going kaput.
  3. There is some forced creep when the car is held in gear and stopped.
  4. Brakes squeal a bit at times. Pads are new.
  5. Minor jerk while shifting from R to D and vice versa. No jerks while shifting from 1 through 7.
  6. Passenger side power window switch doesn't work for closing. Open works fine. Driver's side controls work fine for all windows.
  7. Rear headrest power fold doesn't work.
Tassem is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:43   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I'm one of the folks who voted a resounding yes; and in true TBhp style, I put money where my mouth is and bought a Pre LCI W212 E350 CDI with just over 45k on the ODO.

I'm currently scouting for a reliable independent garage in Bangalore who can be trusted with repairs. And also a place to source parts locally. Would appreciate any leads. Looking at Marque One and Code 6 right now.
[/list]
Its a fantastic looking car.
I can heartily recommend Aniruddh of Aeon Motor Works in Electronic City Veerasandra Ind Estate.
He and his team look after my Mini Cooper S.
Competent people. Knowledgeable. Plain speaking. Fair priced.
Call Aniruddh on 099457 18181
Mention me if you want.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks