Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2020, 16:21   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

Most of us seem to be facing the '6th year - extend or not' dilemma. The asking price for the 6th year is almost same as what we paid for years 3 to 5 and that is the reason most of us don't seem keen. I have had a discussion with my service advisor and he is of the opinion that it is worth it. In his own words "6th year is very dangerous Sir" and he says especially if you haven't had major claims, it is better you extend. The main suspects are the adaptive suspension and gear box which usually develop some issues at around this mileage/ age.

Problem with these cars is that they are pretty complex and the smallest of issues can be very taxing for the owner. Smallest and simplest replacement parts are eye wateringly expensive. When they know you have warranty, the onus is on them to resolve the issue at lowest cost possible. Credit to them, they never shy away from their warranty obligations and you don't have to argue much. But when you don't have that warranty cover, they don't have that same eagerness to limit costs and repair estimates can hit new hatch back car territory.

In my experience with the X3 , years 1 to 4 were very peaceful. But there have been couple of issues after this period which have me worried. The EGR issue first and now currently the car is in the service centre for an electrical issue that isn't properly diagnosed yet. The suspected parts are quite expensive and I am potentially looking at a downtime of a month +. I was sure I wouldn't be extending the warranty for the 6th year till a year ago. But having second thoughts now.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th June 2020 at 16:46.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 16:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

6 year BRI costs twice the 5 year BRI. May be because BRI covers battery and suspension and both these fail after 5 years but before 6th year is complete? What are other "wear and tear" components in an IC engine car that are covered in warranty? Water pump? Never failed in 8 years in my Laura.

As much as I love driving these fast petrol cars, such exorbitant maintenance costs are surely going to drive the IC Engine into susnset sooner.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th June 2020 at 16:24.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
In my experience with the X3 , years 1 to 4 were very peaceful. But there have been couple of issues after this period which have me worried. The EGR issue first and now currently the car is in the service centre for an electrical issue that isn't properly diagnosed yet. The suspected parts are quite expensive and I am potentially looking at a downtime of a month +. I was sure I wouldn't be extending the warranty for the 6th year till a year ago. But having second thoughts now.
Thank you for sharing your experience. That makes me too wait and watch.

However, I still think you made the right decision by not taking the 6th year BRI upfront. Now that you have some reason to worry, that is a good enough justification for extending the warranty to 6th year.

Given that BMW does not charge any penalty for later extending the warranty (before the previous warranty expires), and given that the incremental cost of 6th year BRI is suddenly so much more than first 5 years, I think it makes no sense to commit to 6 years upfront. It is a much wiser strategy to wait and watch for 5 years and then decide on the 6th later.

Keeping aside specific examples and looking at overall experience of many BMW owners of recent cars (F and G series are generally very reliable), I still think 5 years is the optimal BRI package. 6th year is the point of diminishing returns.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th June 2020 at 17:11.
Dr.AD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. That makes me too wait and watch.

However, I still think you made the right decision by not taking the 6th year BRI upfront. Now that you have some reason to worry, that is a good enough justification for extended the warranty to 6th year.

Given that BMW does not charge any penalty for later extending the warranty (before the previous warranty expires), and given that the incremental cost of 6th year BRI is suddenly so much more than first 5 years, I think it makes no sense to commit to 6 years upfront. It is a much wiser strategy to wait and watch for 5 years and then decide on the 6th later.

Keeping aside specific examples and looking at overall experience of many BMW owners of recent cars (F and G series are generally very reliable), I still think 5 years is the optimal BRI package. 6th year is the point of diminishing returns.
Agree with you. But the point my service advisor was making is a bit contrarian to this view. He says if you have had the suspension, engine mounts, battery etc.. replaced under warranty within 5 years then you don't really need the 6th year cover. But if you haven't, then the probability of these coming up for replacement is high in the 6th year.

Potential big ticket items are the gear box, engine related(turbo/ pumps etc...) AC related items. Even the electricals can start acting up. And these guys never repair, they always replace. If your running is very high and you are already in 6 digit mileage, then it makes sense to get the 6th year cover. Will spread the cost over more kms. My running will be close to 60k at the end of 5th year. Don't think it's worth it.

My warranty replacements so far
- EGR valve - About Rs. 25k
- Headlamp washers - About Rs. 20k

Current issue of battery drain is under diagnosis and suspected to be due to..
- Immobilizer + Key Fob- Expected to cost around Rs. 80k to 100k
- Battery was expected to be replaced. But they say it is fine now. Expected cost Rs. 50k
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Agree with you. But the point my service advisor was making is a bit contrarian to this view. He says if you have had the suspension, engine mounts, battery etc.. replaced under warranty within 5 years then you don't really need the 6th year cover. But if you haven't, then the probability of these coming up for replacement is high in the 6th year.
Oh, interesting. That is a very interesting point. Thanks!

Basically the service advisor is saying that the some parts have to fail in 6 years, and if they did not in the first 5 years, then it is almost certain they will in the 6th year :-) So the 6th year is not a linear extrapolation of the first 5 years, and therefore, even the extended warranty cost of the 6th year is not a linear extrapolation of the cost of the first 5 years! Now it does make sense to some extent.

Quote:
My running will be close to 60k at the end of 5th year. Don't think it's worth it.
Mine will be close to 70k km at the end of 5th year. So maybe I will on the borderline. Let's see. Have two more years to think and make a decision.

Quote:
Current issue of battery drain is under diagnosis and suspected to be due to..
- Immobilizer + Key Fob- Expected to cost around Rs. 80k to 100k
- Battery was expected to be replaced. But they say it is fine now. Expected cost Rs. 50k
Wow. Those are really exorbitant costs. In that case, maybe the 6th year warranty does make sense after all!
Old 20th June 2020, 18:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.1318 View Post
How exactly is this any different from the already existing BSI packages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am interested to know what's new here. I have taken BSI+ last year and all these packages were available already at that time. Have the prices been reduced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Got the 330i one. Looks like they have tweaked the plans.
Quote:
Same question here. I am not sure what is new here and why this is a news now?

We all have been using BMW's BSI + BRI (extended warranty) for many years now.
I think I just found out what is new here. I asked for quotation for my own BSI extension under new prices, and from the discussions with the BMW dealer rep, I think I got the what is new here.

What is new here is that this new policy is for cars under usage as opposed to new cars. They specifically call it a "user car package".

Earlier, the BSI/BRI extensions, even if taken later, were always from Day 1 of purchase and 0km (in other words, they were active retrospectively). Now these new packages start from your current km and from current date.

So let's say someone is in the 4th year of ownership with 45k on the odo. Earlier, if that person extends the BSI to 5 years, they have to pay any incremental cost (over their current package) and the new package would still be for 5 years from Day 1 (i.e. only 1 more year from the current 4th year), and 60k from Day 1 (i.e. only 15k km more from the current odo).

However, under this new "used car package", if the same person takes new 3 years/40k package, then it would extend to 7 years ( plus current 4 years) and 85k km (40k km on top of current odo of 45k km). This was previously not possible.

So this is certainly a great new option for anyone to take a fresh BSI/BRI from current km regardless of their previous packages, and in a way, start fresh!
Dr.AD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I just found out what is new here. I asked for quotation for my own BSI extension under new prices, and from the discussions with the BMW dealer rep, I think I got the what is new here.
This is what I noticed on the new plan sheet:
Attached Thumbnails
BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty-screenshot_20200620183531.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I noticed on the new plan sheet:
I think that is the new car package. So there seem to be two different packages under discussion here.

1. The new car package for owners when they buy a new car - this always starts from 0km. This already existed, and only new things is the minor tweaks in the prices. But that is not really news because BMW keeps tweaking these prices all the time. Owners can opt in later also at the same prices as new cars and again starting retrospectively at 0km.

2. There is a brand new "used car package", which the guys using their cars can opt in at any time and can choose to start their "meter" from the current date and km. Of course, this is at a different price rate altogether. This second option never existed before and hence this is the main "news" here.

This is what I understand from my little communication with BMW. Hope others can also verify this and correct this information if not correct.

Edit: Got the confirmation that this is indeed correct. I got an email that clearly says this: "Kindly Note that the package activation will take 2working days and it will be applicable from date of activation and present Km Reading.." - with this line highlighted in the email!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th June 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Added the confirmation
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I understand from my little communication with BMW. Hope others can also verify this and correct this information if not correct.
My 1st service for the G20 is due in September and my car has done 650KMS Had already purchased the BRI for the 3rd year at the time of purchase and I did not opt for the BSI during the initial days. Should be interesting to see the suggestions from you guys in contrast to what the BMW folks have to say with respect to the packages in offer
Old 20th June 2020, 19:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My 1st service for the G20 is due in September and my car has done 650KMS Had already purchased the BRI for the 3rd year at the time of purchase and I did not opt for the BSI during the initial days. Should be interesting to see the suggestions from you guys in contrast to what the BMW folks have to say with respect to the packages in offer
Since you have not availed any service yet, you can get the same BSI package as a new car and use it from your first service. You do not need this new used car package.

However, if your running is going to be indeed this low, then BSI may not be worth it. It may be cheaper to "pay as you use" for your oil changes and consumables (without BSI). I think BSI is worth it only if you drive at least 15,000km a year.
Old 20th June 2020, 20:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Edit: Got the confirmation that this is indeed correct. I got an email that clearly says this: "Kindly Note that the package activation will take 2working days and it will be applicable from date of activation and present Km Reading.." - with this line highlighted in the email!
Thanks. This is is very interesting.
My standard warranty of 2 years expires in Jan 2021, so I will check these used car BRI packages and decide by December. I have taken the BSI+ for 5 years/80000km, so BRI for the first 5 years (i.e. 3 additional years will be a good choice as I anyways will be sticking to the dealer for servicing).

As a sidenote, in spite of Brent remaining below USD40 for more than 3 months now, govt is in no mood to pass on the benefit to us, so utilising my 80000km BSI+ is anyways going to be an expensive affair!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th June 2020 at 20:03.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 20:05   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the 6th year makes sense ONLY if you take it from the start. I paid 1.96 lakhs for my 530d's 6 year extended warranty while the car was still in its factory warranty coverage.

On the other hand, if you want to "top-up" your existing warranty and add years to it, the pricing is ridiculous.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 21:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have not availed any service yet, you can get the same BSI package as a new car and use it from your first service. You do not need this new used car package.
Interesting, when I approached BMW they specifically said that the new car packages are valid only for 30 days from the date of purchase. I would still have to pay the full 'non-new' price. Later found the same mentioning on the BSI/BRI leaflet.

Quote:
However, if your running is going to be indeed this low, then BSI may not be worth it. It may be cheaper to "pay as you use" for your oil changes and consumables (without BSI). I think BSI is worth it only if you drive at least 15,000km a year.
Let's assume an average service would cost from somewhere around 25k-30 annually(what I was told at the time of purchase), The price for the 3 year basic package is somewhere around 45k(40k KMS) would still be worth it don't you think?
Old 20th June 2020, 22:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty

Quote:
Later found the same mentioning on the BSI/BRI leaflet.
That is right, the complimentary BSI lower prices mentioned on the website are valid if you purchase it within 30 days of buying a new Bmw, the leaflet clearly mentions it at the bottom.
This would not be applicable for you now, the dealer can give you revised prices. First month purchase price for BSI is 33000 (excl tax) for 3yrs/40k kms.

Quote:
The price for the 3 year basic package is somewhere around 45k(40k KMS) would still be worth it don't you think?
The car requires service every 12 months and engine oil, oil filter and microfilter do get changed. The air filter change depends on miles covered and the cbs decides that.

2nd year would require a brake fluid change too. This buy within 30 days bsi price for 330i is so low at 40-43k that it makes sense to pick it up straightaway. Whatever you do, 3 services + brake fluid change would never come under 45k for 3 years.

Bsi+ which includes brake pads etc does not make sense for you as miles covered are too low. Infact the BSI price for all bmw cars is so competitive compared to the others now, 15k yearly maintenance for a 250 bhp bmw sedan is absolute peanuts. Even budget cars cost 9-11k for service these days.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 20th June 2020 at 23:05.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Got the 330i one. Looks like they have tweaked the plans.
Are the prices in the 330i leaflet meant for the new cars(within 30 days of purchase) or for older ones too? The BMW website still has the old copy of the BSI/BRI price list. I am closing in on getting the package for my 330i, the clarification would help me decide

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks