Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 15:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

BMW has launched service and repair packages for BMW and Mini cars.

Customers can choose service plans based on duration and mileage. They also have the choice to renew or extend the Service Inclusive package even after expiration for a period of up to 15 months by just paying the differential amount.

BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty-service-repair-inclusive-1.jpg

There are three Service Inclusive packages. These include Oil Service Inclusive, Service Inclusive Basic and Service Inclusive Plus. Packages start from 3 years / 40,000 km to up to 10 years / 2,00,000 km.
  • The Oil Service Inclusive package is intended for customers with low usage. It covers only oil services.
  • Service Inclusive Basic covers regular maintenance including vehicle check and standard scopes, engine oil service, engine oil top-ups along with service / replacement of air filter, fuel filter, micro filter, spark plugs and brake fluid.
  • Service Inclusive Plus covers replacement of wear and tear items like brake pads, brake discs, wiper blades and clutch in addition to the services provided in the previous plan.

Service Inclusive is also available for customers who already own a BMW or Mini vehicle. The package begins from the date of purchase and not from the Warranty start date. For high usage customers, packages start from 2 years / 2,00,000 km with extension option.

According to BMW, the service plans reduce the maintenance cost of a BMW X1 petrol or 3 Series petrol to Rs. 1 per km.

With Repair Inclusive, customers can extend the standard warranty after the initial period of 24 months for unlimited mileage up to a period of 6 years. It covers the cost of all necessary repairs.

The service and repair packages are transferable in case of change of ownership.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:43   #2
BHPian

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

How exactly is this any different from the already existing BSI packages?
akash.1318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 19:53   #3
BHPian

re: BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty

Tushark,

This model is very similar to the service options that BMW provides in the US. For new, as well as certified pre-owned models across the US, they offer different packages. Unlike the models earlier than 2014, the assured 5 years comprehensive coverage is reduced to 3 years with an option to buy additional 2 years comprehensive maintainable package and includes everything from wipers to engine protection and bulbs.
karavadi143 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 20:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I am interested to know what's new here. I have taken BSI+ last year and all these packages were available already at that time. Have the prices been reduced?
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the 330i one. Looks like they have tweaked the plans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 330i BSI+R Pricelist.pdf (893.1 KB, 1970 views)
File Type: pdf BSI+R Brochure (1).pdf (2.15 MB, 1391 views)

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th June 2020 at 14:23.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.1318 View Post
How exactly is this any different from the already existing BSI packages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am interested to know what's new here. I have taken BSI+ last year and all these packages were available already at that time. Have the prices been reduced?
Same question here. I am not sure what is new here and why this is a news now?

We all have been using BMW's BSI + BRI (extended warranty) for many years now.

Edit: Maybe this is new for Mini, and that is the part of the news here? I do not know whether it already existed for Mini or not.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 19th June 2020 at 14:26. Reason: Added the last comment.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Got the 330i one. Looks like they have tweaked the plans.
The quote I got for my 330i-G20 on May 18th, 2020(for existing owners)
Attached Thumbnails
BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty-20200619_143452.jpg  

akash.1318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
We all have been using BMW's BSI + BRI (extended warranty) for many years now.
From the brochure, i think 2 changes have been implemented. First is the introduction of oil inclusive which just covers your cost for engine oil replacement, labour and all filters are charged extra as applicable. Then comes the BSI basic and plus where plus covers everything from brake pads to wipers.

The extended warranty used to have a mileage which has now been revoked and only the time limit applies now, unlimited kilometre coverage.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 19th June 2020 at 14:53.
coolboy007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked quotes I had got last year when I bought BSI+. BRI plans were always for unlimited kilometers and prices were also exactly the same. In fact, there is already a thread created by blackwasp last April when these prices were announced.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th June 2020 at 16:54. Reason: Typo
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 19:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Still not clear to me- what's new here?
What would be charges for X3 20d G01 for BSI basic or Oil inclusive package. I had a chat with my salesman few weeks back, and he had suggested, for my low running (annual 5-6000 kms only), not to go for service packages. Take only BRI and I kinda agree. Does "Oil only Service" package makes sense assuming it is priced around 25k/year?

Tia,

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 19th June 2020 at 19:28. Reason: syntax
Old 20th June 2020, 00:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

I do not know how the BRI had a mileage limit for some owners but unlimited kms for some, had asked for quotations for our pre owned 320D M sport LCI this April and the quote clearly specifies that there is a kilometre limit to the years specified. Attaching the quotation, this was received in April, 2020. We went in for the 4 years BRI.

BMW launches 6 year / unlimited km warranty EDIT: BMW discontinues 6th year warranty-screenshot-20200620-12.00.14-am.png
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 09:15   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A bit disappointed that they are stuck on "6 years" since so many years. With BMW's fantastic reliability, the company can easily offer 7 - 8 year warranties. Will give it bragging rights in ads & promotions too. After all, the warranty coverage can indicate just how much confidence the company has in its own products.

@ BMW: Please bring out longer warranties for owners like us who hold cars for long durations. Will be a win for you too in terms of more $$$ + guaranteed workshop visits for maintenance (else owners will go to independent garages after the warranty expires).
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 13:43   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, the exponential cost increase as you extend the warranty seems quite extreme. I took a 5 year 60,000 km BSI Plus + BRI when I bought my car. The 6th year seemed to costly to me. That seems to still be the case - the 6th year cost for BRI is as much as the cost for Years 3-5; viz ₹ 144,000 including taxes for a 320d. Suspect it would be a bit more for the X3.

Wish they launched a lower price distance limited version of the 6th year BRI and BSI Plus - say 6 years 80,000 km. The cost difference for a heavy user between the 5 Year 100 k and 6 Year 120 k BSI packages is not much - but the difference between a 5 Year 60k and 6 Year 120k package is much too high. Hence am quite clear that the BSI will end in Year 5 for me.

But I am in two minds on whether to spend so much for one year extra cover. Guidance would be appreciated.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Frankly, the exponential cost increase as you extend the warranty seems quite extreme. I took a 5 year 60,000 km BSI Plus + BRI when I bought my car. The 6th year seemed to costly to me. That seems to still be the case - the 6th year cost for BRI is as much as the cost for Years 3-5; viz ₹ 144,000 including taxes for a 320d. Suspect it would be a bit more for the X3.
+1 to this. I agree 100%. I have taken BRI only for 5 years for my 2017 320d. The 6th year alone costs about 1.4L for BRI as you mentioned. I don't think this is worth it. The probability of the car requiring warranty-related work of more than Rs. 1.4L in the 6th year itself is quite low (that is what I have assumed for now). And it makes no sense to pay that much amount "guaranteed up front" to minimize you "potential losses which would be much lesser in most likelihoods".

Yes, there is a small risk that I might need a bigger expense, but probabilistically it is wiser to take that chance than to pay 1.4L up front.

So far in three years, my car has been absolutely reliable with no issues to mention (touch wood). This increases my confidence to take this 6th year risk!

Of course, the good thing is that one can take the 6th year BRI anytime before the expiry of first 5 years. So in the worst case if I feel like the car would need some major work at the end of the 5 years, I have the option of opting in for the 6th year BRI that time. But I hope it does not come to that :-)

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th June 2020 at 14:10.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Service Inclusive is also available for customers who already own a BMW or Mini vehicle. The package begins from the date of purchase and not from the Warranty start date. For high usage customers, packages start from 2 years / 2,00,000 km with extension option.

Can anyone confirm on this please? The dealer at my end says all the service plans start from Zero Kilometer which means from the car purchase date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks