Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:47   #46
BANNED

Re: Fuel prices increase 16 days in a row. What the hell is happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
My friend got married recently and the mehindi artist was charging her 11k for the bridal mehendi. Now let's consider that she works only for 15 days a month, her earnings are 1,65,000‬/ month. Now, I can't assume that she doesn't pay taxes, but for every 1 person like the mehendi artist who might be paying taxes there might 9 others who aren't paying it. In this age of technology, why can't the government come up with ways to tax its citizens?
Didn't go through your entire post, but coming to the above quoted part, mehendi artists' incomes are not consistent throughout the year, it is only during few seasons they get such incomes and rest of the year it is a meager income, and also not every mehendi artist charge that much!
wheelguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:21   #47
BHPian

When this very topic was raised to finance minister

When relevant authorities don't have explanation, why should we debate/defend.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd June 2020 at 22:38.
Thermodynamics is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Dare I say that these fuel price increases mean nothing to me, at least immediately? But is anyone going anywhere right now? I'm stuck, for one. If inflation is what worries you, well, add that to the list brother!!

The number of fuel purchase transactions has gone down drastically, because of the lockdowns. So various state governments and the Centre are trying to keep the tax mop-up as near to the normal level as possible.
Well said and one of the best posts in this thread.

I can relate self to this theory. It has been three months I bought a litre of diesel. Crude prices have gone down during the last three months and what I have read is, we have filled our tanks with crude to the brim. We have to dispose the crude and there are no sales. So, sell whatever is being sold at higher prices to balance the income.

This theory is not specific to fuel prices alone. Its applicable to all the commodities. A litre of Ground Nut oil is being sold for Rs 225/- today and the same was sold at Rs 145/- in first week of March. A shop nearby, wanted me to buy a 10's pack of balloons for 50/- while it was being sold at 10/- earlier. I argued with him for the rate and he says there is lesser footfalls and only way to compensate the three months loss is to increase the price. Govt and the fuel firms are no different. Both of them has the same Guru.

Other than this, I couldn't relate this to nationality, patriotism, Army, China and what else in the earlier posts.

Last edited by saisree : 23rd June 2020 at 22:25.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Well said and one of the best posts in this thread.
I fully agree - its a simple lucidly drafted explanation of how the Government is trying to make up the shortfall in revenue by increasing the Tax Percentage as the Spend Value is less
Old 23rd June 2020, 23:35   #50
BHPian

The government has adopted a recovery agency role now, taxes on fuel is the easiest way to recover from the funds spent in the last 3-4 months. However, this is becoming a burden for the public.
rvd8732 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 00:07   #51
BANNED

Quote:
This has to be the most inconsequential thread on this forum, really since it's fait accompli all the way.
This thought is the beginning of end of democracy. Fascist decisions have been reverted many times in the history of human kind for good. As a strong believer in democracy, I am sure this fascism won't last long.

Quote:
I'm much interested in rather learning how to improve my fitness levels.
There is a saying which goes like this:

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Wish you can use your improved fitness to protest when things start affecting you in the manner in which it is affecting poor people nowadays.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th June 2020 at 00:15.
romeomidhun is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 00:33   #52
BHPian

Since 2010, everytime there was a fuel hike, i have been thinking of electric vehicle. But none existed that time which looked like a proper 4 seater car.

Fortunately now we have a couple of options. Since last two three weeks, i have been seriously thinking of tata nexon EV and am eagerly waiting for electric version of my existing car Ertiga. I assume, even others are thinking on similar lines.

If this situation doesnt force people to think about EVs, then i guess nothing else will. Tata should step up their efforts in installing charging stations along the national highways too.
Old 24th June 2020, 00:50   #53
BHPian

Well some posts in this thread is making it look like this is the first time we are witnessing increase in fuel price even at lower international crude price citing reasons like covid and border issues etc. whereas we have been witnessing the same for years now. Those who believe that increasing fuel price and other taxes is the only way to sail through the situation for the government is forgetting the fact that the situation is equally tough for common people right now than ever. And because of this increased taxation some people (specially private transport operators) are either facing even tougher times or are getting deprived of livelihood at all. Also, due to this price increase/black marketing everywhere, people are not spending enough and hence the so called number of transactions are remaining low which is detrimental to the revival of the economy in general. Keeping in mind the situation is equally tough for all government accross the world and that many government have offered furlough schemes and other helpful measures to their citizens hurts it even more. The less we talk about our financial package the better. Then there is PM care fund which has gathered crores of unaccounted fund which will remain beyond the purview of RTI/audit and hence it's utilisation to the last penny will remain unknown. Covid-19 may come and go in a few years time but what will remain for us is government who will milk common man from whatever source they can and some people who, though educated, never see the deficiencies/darker side of the people in power because of their pseudo patriotism/biasness.
Carpainter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 01:04   #54
BHPian

I haven't followed the entire thread so please excuse me if the following two points have already been put across.

1)Consumption is bouncing back to normal at a very rapid pace and its reasonable to assume that we're unlikely to see a proportionate drop in these prices in the short term.

Quote:
Reflecting higher fuel usage with the gradual easing of travel restrictions, consumption of petroleum products in the first 15 days of June was 80-85% of the levels recorded in the same period in 2019.
https://www.financialexpress.com/mar...night/1993748/

2)Speaking strictly from a financial perspective, the current government has been incredibly lucky to have such a favorable environment in terms of record low crude prices coupled with retail fuel prices that are diametrically opposite. Covid-19 brought a considerable hit to these collections but this pattern has been going on for quite some time now and is likely to continue. Having a seemingly inconsequential opposition is just icing on the cake.

I dread to think where we'd be if the crude prices were as high as they were 7/8 years back.

Last edited by theMandarin : 24th June 2020 at 01:07.
theMandarin is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 02:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Good to know. I guess the threads on this forum about the automobile industry slowdown in the last 1.5 years were all fake news. All is well. Only Covid to blame, and Fuel Price hike to the rescue. And if soldiers die, blame them instead of the folks we pay taxes to. Truly, good to know what patriotism feels like these days.
I know a lot of people who delayed purchasing due to BS6 thinking its better to buy it after the last date of sale for BS4. Just like people who wait for january instead of buying in december.

Many where also waiting for discounts on BS4 vehicles (like years before when they had heavy discounts on BS3 vehicles).

Finally I personally know at least a dozen people who will never purchase another fossil fuel powered vehicle and are waiting for that perfect EV at a reasonable price, I am willing to wait till 2025 for that perfect EV, when my car will be 15 years old (max utilization of the life time road tax).

Many in my street who have 2 to 3 cars per household prefered to take a cab (pre-covid). So at least for the automobile sector, there are plenty of reasons for the slowdown.
Old 24th June 2020, 03:27   #56
BANNED

Price of Petrol, Diesel in neighbouring countries in Indian rupees
Pakistan : 34, 37
China: 63, 54
Srilanka: 66, 42
Nepal: 60, 53
Bhutan: 49, 46
Myanmar: 36, 32

If Dollar has appreciated that should affect these countries also, isn’t it? You can wake up someone who is asleep, but not the one pretending to! In this banana republic of blind followers nothing will change.
The Rationalist is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 04:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure but some people on the thread are suggesting that government somehow is the victim in all this as they try to shore up the economy in these tough times, the same government which has ordered jumbo jets worth 10,000 crores for VIP travel and is spending upwards of 20,000 crores on the Delhi central vista project. Needless expenses in a dire economy to be honest and we need to call their hypocrisy rather than defend them unto last breath.
extreme_torque is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 06:29   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Price of Petrol, Diesel in neighbouring countries in Indian rupees
Pakistan : 34, 37
China: 63, 54
Srilanka: 66, 42
Nepal: 60, 53
Bhutan: 49, 46
Myanmar: 36, 32

If Dollar has appreciated that should affect these countries also, isn’t it? You can wake up someone who is asleep, but not the one pretending to! In this banana republic of blind followers nothing will change.
Damn. How can citizens from the countries you mentioned be so anti-nationalistic and un-patriotic? They should be paying more to show their nationalistic and patriotic allegiance to their respective nations.

Also, the Indian Government and fellow nationalists should ensure that the population doesn't read about Salt Tax and the eventual revolution it brought about. You don't want people to revolt.
kiku007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 06:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

The top 10-20% here and elsewhere who root for cheaper fuel: are they prepared for the swarms of locusts (100cc bikes) and other big pests(160, 200cc+) surrounding their cars everywhere they go? Besides the air pollution and a surging import bill.

The headcount is at 140 crores and half of them young, and we got 30 crore more to add in a few decades before it slows down from there. Add to this, rural is getting empty with only mid age and old people living there while the young prefer to live in the urban. Private vehicle ownership is not the way forward with these numbers, the air pollution itself would make breathing a taxing process.

I would rather criticize the government for not adding more railway tracks for goods and passenger movement along the existing lanes and discouraging private vehicle ownership model.

PS: I am one of the aforementioned locust (110cc)
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 08:07   #60
BHPian

The percentage of people paying taxes in India is very low. That’s not going to increase in the near future due to political considerations. The only way left for the government to increase taxes is through the indirect route, like increasing fuel prices or GST. This is not an equitable solution as it taxes the poor more( as percentage of their income) compared to the rich.

I would agree any day for increasing fuel prices to the other alternative for the government namely increasing the peak tax rates from 30% to 40 or 50%. Unless, the poor and middle class of this country are educated about the need for income taxes and more people willingly start paying direct taxes, this sorry situation wil continue. The only people really squeezed here are the middle class paying income taxes and now has to suffer this also. That will not be more than 1% of Indian population.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed