Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 12:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh

The Hyundai Elantra is now available with a BS6-compliant diesel engine. It comes in two variants - SX and SX (O) priced at Rs. 18.70 lakh and Rs. 20.65 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh-press-release-visual-2x1-copy.jpg

The Elantra comes with a BS6-compliant 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 113 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm. The SX variant is available with a 6-speed manual transmission, while the SX (O) comes with a 6-speed automatic.

The Elantra is also available with a BS6-compliant 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 150 BHP @ 6,200 rpm and 192 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.

Apart from the upgraded engines, Hyundai hasn't made any other changes to the Elantra. The car comes with features such as wireless charging, front ventilated seats, 10-way adjustable driver seat, dual-zone automatic climate control, cruise control and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.

The Elantra also gets Blue Link connectivity features which include auto crash notification, SOS / Emergency Assistance, Roadside assistance, panic notification, tyre pressure monitoring system, stolen vehicle tracking, notification and immobilization, remote engine start / stop and climate control, maintenance alerts and driving information, location based services as well as geo-fence and speed alert among others.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:29   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh

So now Elantra has lower power figures than the BS4 Fluidic Verna but costs almost the double. Cannot fathom the rationale behind this pricing and why would anybody spend 2 million on this.

Sigh.
batish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:34   #3
BHPian

20.65 lakhs for that puny 1.5 L engine with 113 BHP

I would rather cross shop & get a Harrier top end Diesel AT which will cost 50k less than Elantra.
karan0009 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

So now Elantra has lower power figures than the BS4 Fluidic Verna but costs almost the double. Cannot fathom the rationale behind this pricing and why would anybody spend 2 million on this.

Sigh.
This small diesel craze among D-segment sedans is sad indeed. With the only real diesel sedan- the Octavia temporarily out of the market - choices are limited between a Civic 1.6 118hp and the Elantra 1.5 113hp. Looks to be purely aimed at the chauffeur driven! Nothing more.

Hyundai will probably be hoping to compete on price - this BS6 Elantra is almost 2 lakhs cheaper (ex- showroom) than the BS4 diesel Civic variants - the gap will widen further when the Honda returns. And - unlike the Civic - Elantra is also available with a 6-speed automatic transmission option.

That said - I'll definitely prefer a crossover over these two!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th June 2020 at 20:07. Reason: typo edited
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:51   #5
BHPian

If Skoda doesn’t bring back the Octavia soon this segment is going to be dead waters. By the time they even get around to launching it somewhere in the future, people will start plonking their 2 million bucks on SUV’s and forget sedans were even a thing.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 14:00   #6
BHPian

I wonder how nice this would be if it was with that 2 liter diesel engine from the Tucson.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 14:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
If Skoda doesn’t bring back the Octavia soon this segment is going to be dead waters. By the time they even get around to launching it somewhere in the future, people will start plonking their 2 million bucks on SUV’s and forget sedans were even a thing.
But will the Octavia be in the 1.5-2 million INR range? No way. Which essentially means we have to wait for the mid-sized sedan that Zac Hollis of Skoda recently spoke about for the Indian market. That is coming only in 2021 end mostly. By then, if the spending patterns recover, we would see the roads filled with Seltos/Creta. next 18 months is all about the C-SUVs in the 15-20 lacs range.
Old 24th June 2020, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
But will the Octavia be in the 1.5-2 million INR range? No way. Which essentially means we have to wait for the mid-sized sedan that Zac Hollis of Skoda recently spoke about for the Indian market. That is coming only in 2021 end mostly. By then, if the spending patterns recover, we would see the roads filled with Seltos/Creta. next 18 months is all about the C-SUVs in the 15-20 lacs range.
Wait, so there’s a chance of the Octy being priced beyond that? That’s blasphemous! I do hope to the gods of automobiles that this wouldn’t be the case. I was thinking of getting our hands on the next gen car
Old 24th June 2020, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think it is very unlikely that Octavia diesel will return in the near future. VW has not given a diesel engine to even Tiguan. It is rumoured that even Kodiaq will return with only a petrol engine. So Elantra and Civic with the anaemic diesel engines may be the only diesel choices in the D segment for some time. Those wanting performance in D segment may have to opt for petrol cars - All with health bhp figures. Octavia might lead here again with that 180 hp petrol.
Old 24th June 2020, 14:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think it is very unlikely that Octavia diesel will return in the near future.
True that, Skoda + VW have a long while to go before their diesel engines are back.
Quote:
Octavia might lead here again with that 180 hp petrol.
Might get both 1.5LTSI and 2.0LTSI engines on the new Octavia - 192B HP is a possibility therefore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Wait, so there’s a chance of the Octy being priced beyond that?
Yup, even the petrol 1.5L TSI + DSG combo will be priced close to 19-20L Ex-Showroom, from what I have read so far.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 14:52   #11
BHPian

I am a sucker for sedan cars but such absurd pricing for those sedans makes SUVs like HARRIER a great choice with that much amount of money. You get better Engine + Performance + Looks&Presence + Comfort features, Pano sunroof included!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Contrary to popular opinion, I prefer Sedans over SUVs. This is a pretty competent car, let down by its puny engine which doesn’t do justice to a vehicle of it’s class.

It’s not exorbitantly priced, keeping in mind the pricing of City which is a segment below.

I also couldn’t care less about bling only features such as a Panaromic Sunroof.

A decent engine, maybe the one from Tucson could save it.
alikidwhy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Where are the prices of D segment sedans heading. To plonk 20 lakhs for this puny 1.5 L doesn't make sense to me. Just to put things in perspective, when I bought my Skoda Laura MT TDI 9 years ago, the price was close to 18 lakhs OTR. No point comparing the price back then and now since money value has gone down.

Rather than buying a new Elantra, I would rather buy a pre worshipped Octavia/Jetta and use the money saved to maintain it for next 5 years and even save on the depreciation hit on the new car.

That way I'll get more bang for my bucks than buying a new car and see it cooling its heels in the garage with the world not coming to normalcy any time sooner.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th June 2020 at 20:37.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 21:36   #14
BHPian

The D Segment sedan has always been treated step motherly by some or the other manufacturer in India at a given point of time.

Skoda - Launched the Laura in 1.9 TDi & 2.0, Powerful petrol, Diesel MT had 110 HP whereas the AT got 140 HP. The diesel MT was available only upto the Elegance trim.

Volkswagen - Same goes with Jetta, in the next generation though they did make the 140 HP standard but the 1.4 TSi had around 120 HP and was available only in the lower and mid spec trim. No Highline even as an option.

Chevrolet - The Cruze! Great package, offered a lot for the money but Chevrolet decided to make it a cash cow making the spares eye watering expensive moreover it wasn't Reliable as well. The Resale of the vehicle is extremely low.

Hyundai - They did try to make Elantra a tempting package and it offered sufficient power in both Petrol & Diesel in the pre-facelift. Now, we all are reading about the 1.5 CRDi

Toyota - A good petrol engine with a decent set of transmission on offer but the great heads at Toyota decided to equip it with 1.4 D4D producing 90 HP. I am not sure about the latest Equipment list or the nomenclature but the diesel was not available on the top spec trim for a long time and even the mid spec variant had less features than the Petrol counter part.

Honda - The Civic when launched was a phenomenal package and offered a lot for the money, even with the diesel missing, it sold like hot cakes but then Honda decided to quit the D Segment for good until last year entering back with the new generation Civic but messed up the game big time thanks to sluggish CVT with no Manual and a low powered Diesel engine.

Renault - Launched the Fluence with a Sluggish Petrol mated to a CVT, no Manual and in order to keep the prices low decided to equip it with the 1.5 DCi producing 110 HP.

I think except the Elantra & Octavia, India hasn't seen a decent D Segment sedan when we talk about the overall package.
Each had it's own sets of flaws in which the customer had to compromise. Sadly, the same will have to be said for Elantra too now.
YashD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 22:06   #15
BHPian

Unlike the popular opinion, I do prefer a sedan over SUV. I hold nothing against SUVs, I do love them but when I think of owning one, I just can't imagine them to be my daily commuters. I prefer a low slung ride. I was keen on buying a manual D segment this diwali but given the current situation, the finances are pretty uncertain and I decided to pass, even if this weren't the case, I don't see any possible contenders. There isn't enough justification in terms of pricing when compared to C segment. We need some nice power figures here and then suddenly SUVs start to make a lot of sense.
Verna and Elantra have similar power figures, only difference I guess is Verna would mostly be self driven and Elantra will be chauffeur driven.
I hope Toyota comes back Corolla Altis, it'll atleast bring back the Japanese reliability which honda has lacked for quite sometime now

Most Viewed