Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Renault Duster today?
Yes 225 40.76%
No 327 59.24%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 23:39   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster

I had a Duster AWD that I sold last September at 93600km and boy am I missing that car. Its just the near perfect car for our conditions be it highway cruising or the broken patches or the slush trails. I really miss the utility value of the duster more than any other car I have owned. Leaving you with a few images. Was contemplating picking a used one up again.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-13769522_10209910847668610_4209420650219689956_n.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-13305247_10209497696740095_2457892780194992060_o.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-2.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-18238152_10212680528388897_4594547499226686580_o.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Renault Duster-dsc_0695mod.jpg
megazoid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 00:35   #62

Voted yes, only because Wifey loves how it looks from the outside, and can live with the spartan interior. I don't mind the interior, but if I pick up a reliable Low mileage one, then will upgrade the interior with a new HU and better seat covers. Though the Renault A S S is scary, the fact that this car sold so well should mean for something.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:06   #63
BHPian

Voted No.

The only time I took a test drive for a Duster petrol for 3 to 4 kilometres was when i was searching for a new car.

After that drive, my arms were aching.

Not sure if the steering was faulty or what was it but I felt like driving a truck.

The Interiors further made me lose interest.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:40   #64
BHPian

I voted No only because it's hard to find a pre-worshiped duster as they are normally abused by their owners. I would rather buy a new one someday if they decide to upgrade the car.
Having traveled extensively in multiple dusters(2014 and 2020) I can vouch for the ride quality, in all the cars I have ridden in Duster's ride was the finest with a margin. When I used to drive my duster I never had to worry about bad roads or small breakers. I agree the car was way outdated but it was a no non sense machine. The 2014 duster I owned was 85ps diesel and it gave me mileage in range of 18-20 on highways and 12-13 in the city. The biggest negative was the service bill specially at 60K kms.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Well, it's a NO from my side, unless I absolutely needed an AWD version. I'd rather buy the Suzuki S-Cross.

Save for a few batches, it is fairly reliable. I have a friend who upgraded from the 85PS to the 110PS + AWD version as he uses it in his coffee plantation estate in Chikmagalur. The injectors in his older Duster (85PS) were replaced under warranty.
Old 1st July 2020, 04:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes for the AWD version. Its surprisingly good off-road and that 1.5 litre diesel engine is pretty reliable. I would not hesitate to go ahead if it is a low mileage car with full service history and no history of any major accidental damage.
Old 1st July 2020, 04:28   #67
BHPian

I am a 2012 Duster owner and I definitely recommend a new Duster because of initial cost of ownership in case opt for an AWD version. Still I voted “No” because of costly spares.
Old 1st July 2020, 07:21   #68
BHPian

The Duster is a reliable vehicle and there is no doubt about it. I do know of people who've owned Dusters over 1.5L kms and are absolutely happy.
That said, I wouldn't pick up a used one in 2020. The interior of most cars have aged horribly and the plastics are cheap and terrible. The clutch on the 110Ps version is rock solid and you will complain in Bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic. The other issues are the injectors and one friend has them changed thrice over a 4 year period. It could be a one off case here though.
The best version for sure is the AWD version and as many others have mentioned, the ride quality is sure the strength of the Duster and I completely agree.
Refinement is extremely important to me when I pick a car and both, the Duster diesel and petrol are lacking in this department. The Duster Petrol isn't a fun to drive vehicle in any aspect, while the Diesel can take you places. A definite NO from my side.
Old 1st July 2020, 08:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
]
Stunning pics, could you tell us where these photos were clicked?
Old 1st July 2020, 10:47   #70
BHPian

Voted 'Yes' solely for the robust build quality, ride quality and space it offers. But I'd vote a 'No' in terms of ergonomics. I drove a friend's duster once and I felt the ergonomics are uncomfortable. Dash is plain jane. Nothing to talk about. And Renault A.S.S is inconsistent. One time you'll be overwhelmed and the other time, extremely disappointed.
TorqueSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:27   #71
BHPian

I voted yes, for the AWD version.

It will probably be, one of the better vehicles for some light off roading. I know i'm ignoring the Gypsy or multiple versions of the Mahindra Jeep (too utilitarian), Safari or Scorpio (too heavy) and the ones from higher segments (cost).

I hope to get a Duster AWD (if i can find a suitable example) as a project car to do some off roading. I can see it already, a small lift kit, bigger M/T tyres, a few extra lights! [IF WISHES WERE HORSES......... ]
Old 1st July 2020, 15:07   #72
BHPian

It would be 'May be'. I have moved to ATs since last 4-5 years. I came back to India just before the lock down and was looking for petrol CVT model. However, they stopped making this now. I was looking for a used CVT model but couldn't find one. I didn't have a car to commute so had to buy a car. Bought Honda City CVT instead. I intend to use this for next 2-3 years and might look for Used version of Duster Turbo CVT based on its performance and reviews ( I presume that they launch Turbo version soon).
Old 1st July 2020, 15:40   #73
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES. But with a long list of pointer for perspective buyers:
  • A Duster's ride is quite severely affected if it has bad shocks / worn out tyres / high tyre pressure. So only check-out cars which are well looked after.
  • The 110 PS engine has a Dual Mass Flywheel system which is expensive to replace.
  • The rear shocks of the AWD have no aftermarket substitute and at 6.5K a piece easily send the suspension overhaul bill of the whole car in the 20-24 K range.
  • The wheel bearings cost 7K a piece.
  • Injector issue could plague you if you go for the 110 PS engine.
  • Brake pads and disks too are an expensive job which can easily cost above 10K.
  • I have had an AC Compressor failure, Door latch failure, ECM failure on the 2012 model.
  • And have had the Indicator stalk failure, Rear Diff failure and shock leaks on the 2015 model.
  • AC is weak and the only let-down comfort wise.
Apart from this, everything including the complicated electronics of the AWD has been trouble free. Parts from Renault are exorbitantly priced. Better to go to a reliable FNG for the upkeep of your pre-worshipped Duster. The HU can be upgraded and the doors and roof can be dampened for better noise insulation. It is a robust and abuse friendly car.

Renault offers Warranty packages which cover the vehicle upto 1,00,000 km or 7 years. Better to go for post 2017 examples and make use of this generous warranty coverage.

Putting up the link to my thread which chronicles the ownership of the first gen (2012-2014) and the new-gen (2015 onwards) diesel 110 PS Dusters.
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 17:15   #74
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I currently own a 2013 Duster 85 PS and it has been mainly niggle free with 1.65 Lakh Kms on the ODO.

The ride quality, abuse friendly build and driving pleasure of Duster are unmatched in this price range, or maybe even higher.

Some of the major repairs i had to get done on my Duster are:
  • All 4 Shocks replacement (not at the same time)
  • Clutch overhaul (around 1 Lakh Km mark) - I think it lasted decent Kms considering Delhi-Gurgaon traffic.
  • Brake pads (multiple times) and Front Discs (Once). - OEM brakes are pathetic. I replaced them with Discs and Pads from Brembo at 65 Kms mark. Have replaced Pads twice after that and Discs are still good.
  • Radiator Fan
  • AC Compressor and Condenser

First 3 on the list are results of wear and tear. But the last two should not have failed. Radiator Fan is super expensive at 14,000 Rs. Got AC compressor and Condenser from local market (OEM product) and got it installed at FNG, thus saving close to 10K.

Entire family is fond of the car, so much so that we are considering Duster for a new purchase (probably with 1.3 Turbo engine). The only shortcoming of this car is the rear space leg room.
Route66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:00   #75
BHPian

Team bhpians,

How about the fundamentals in Duster diesel? saftey, reliability etc... v/s the leader (Creta). I think for long run that is what it matters.
Is it good, well engineered product for indian needs/usage?

I do not mind even if some ergonomics are not good, which will be used very rarely or we used to it in-time.
Interior's are good to my taste, simple layout. Graduating from Palio, interiors are notch above I believe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks