Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2020, 21:35   #16
VVN
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized

For everyone saying that it's a stupid move, just step out and check the crowd at Juhu beach, Bandstand, Worli etc. I was out yesterday after spending months at home. I didn't leave the car but I did go all the way upto Bandstand for some fresh air and it didn't seem at all that we were in the midst of a pandemic. The fear factor has gone and the cops are the ones who are suffering by being in the line of fire. I think this is much needed and it will deter people from moving out unnecessarily. WEH has returned to almost pre COVID levels when it comes to traffic and cars on the road. People crowding at tea stalls, walking in groups of 4-5, bikers with pillion riders even though it is still banned. This is a desperate move by the cops I feel and one that will be used to deter. Impounding of Vehicles won't happen in my opinion.
VVN is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

If the Govt is trying to slow down the spread to contain the cases within the available medical facility, then it is a welcome move.
If anything else is the reason then it not an effective plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
For everyone saying that it's a stupid move, just step out and check the crowd at Juhu beach, Bandstand, Worli etc.
Aren't they following what the Govt says & said? They observed the lockdown and when Govt has relaxed the norms, they are out. What else they must do?
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

My cousin was just narrating how he was questioned by cops & asked to return when he went abit far in his car to search for some herbal medicine which wasn't available near his house. (Dunzo guy had bought sub standard quality, so he needed to go himself!)

Guess what, the cops got the herbs delivered to his house!

I understand this is going to be very very inconvenient, but it's the same for cops and this is a necessary step to prevent people from going on Joy rides.

I'm part of a WhatsApp group and this is apparently the situation at Mullayanagiri today :
Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-img20200628wa0003.jpg

Even Chikmagalur seems to have been closed off as one of my friends was informed by a Homestay owner with this image
Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-img20200628wa0002.jpg

IMO Citizens need to comply & deal with the pandemic as per govt advice.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th June 2020 at 22:23.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:41   #19
BHPian

Valid reason? Just tell them you are going to a wine shop!

Not only will you be allowed to go anywhere in the universe but you will be also become a high ranking decorated 'economic warrior'.

Govt., cops everyone will love you! Common sense is not so common after all.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 01:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
My wife may be required to go to office once a week starting July.
You mean to say the rule does not apply to her office? Meaning, if she does not have a safe means of travel to and fro to the office, they would still want her to attend office? I think it's better to quit such an organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Useless move. What if someone's RC displays a different place of residence from where he currently resides?

This move will call for unnecessary harassment by the cops and that's pretty much it.
There are many IFs and BUTs. The nation has been brought to it's knees because of these IFs and BUTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
What a stupid move!! How does people going for drives lead to the spread of Covid? And why should people who live in neighborhoods which lack quality shopping within 2 km be forced to shop at only their local stores?
You want the cops to decide who is going on a leisurely drive and who is going on a social/useless visit just by looking at a car? Do you really live in Mumbai that you cannot get quality shopping in a radius of 2 kms? I can understand someone saying this in a small city. But Mumbai?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Complete nonsense. My folks live 4km from my house (Andheri to Parle) which means I can't visit them? This is just a way to harass citizens without any strong grounds.
This is the exact attitude that has brought the nation to it's knees!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My own uncle is 76 years old and living completely alone about 5 kms away. I have visited him occasionally - I was supposed to take my mum to meet him as well today / tomorrow. What is the issue if we undertake this travel
The issue is that you put everyone in your building and his building at risk if you are a carrier. If you are really that concerned about your uncle, why not bring him over to your place until this thing is over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
They are trying to push through so many guidelines and ultimately the public will fail to recollect or memorise some of these guidelines. If being booked for breaking a certain guideline, he or she may be taken aback owing to ignorance. The 2km guideline is not very practicable it appears prima facie.

Some points to ponder, that may be applicable to some Mumbaikars:-

- I am staying in Colaba, South Mumbai and I get dropped at the airport by a neighbour driving his car. Flight operations have commenced. Am I or my neighbour breaking any guideline ?
Again, like I said, there are so many IFs and BUTs. Had the public followed earlier guidelines properly, the government wouldn't have been forced to bring in such desperate measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praneeth View Post
The government can't keep a check on the population with these silly rules. Instead they should focus on improving the healthcare infrastructure and educating the broader population regarding safety protocols and implement them strictly in public spaces.
Let's tell the virus to give us a break until the government improves the healthcare infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I wonder if they have enough parking space to park those impounded cars because they'd see thousands of them.

Sounds like a very impractical law. They don't even have enough resources to manage that.

The very fact is this - You can't make a 100% of the citizens follow social distancing or make them wear a mask. I still see so many folks walking around on the streets without a mask on, walking in larger groups etc.
Exactly. We are a bunch of indisciplined troglodytes. Hence the need for such desperate measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I think its a decision taken in haste, 2 KM is very less distance in a city like Mumbai.
Really? In Mumbai? 2kms is very less distance? Then what of smaller cities? More people live in a 2 km radius in Mumbai than in a tire 3 city!

Such rules have been brought about because people are selfish and for them, their silly needs are paramount. Genuine needs get lost in between silly and irresponsible needs. The government has no time to differentiate between them now. If we cooperate we might see some improvements and less need to complain.

Guys, many people, including doctors, say the symptoms are mild for healthy and young individuals. How many of you are willing to take that risk and say, 'Yes, Corona, infect me, I am a healthy individual. Let's see who wins!.' Nobody knows, yet, how their bodies would react to this virus. Even if you do survive, you may put your loved ones at risk, who may not be as super human as you are.

They say heard immunity is the way forward. For that to happen, 70% of the population has to get infected and survive so the other 30% can be safe. How do I know this? Again, the same people who talk about herd immunity, say so. Would you volunteer to be part of that 70%?

The government is running out of ways and means to control this mess. Unfortunately, it is not about you or me, but about all of us as a whole. Because, in this scenario, you could suffer because of someone else's recklessness. It's time to accept that tough measures are required. The rules are not meant for you alone, but for people who are reckless and have brought us, as a Nation, to a situation where there seems to be no way out.

I am not saying that the 2km rule will bring this thing under control. But the irresponsible responses from some of the fellow Bhpians makes me wonder if we are ever going to get out of this at all!
SCORPION is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 01:39   #21
BHPian

For those who are finding faults in the rule, I would just like to tell you one thing :
'Understand the seriousness of the situation before the virus reaches your doorstep.'

Yes, data suggests that mortality is low but even chances of getting involved in an accident and surviving from it in our whole lifetime is low too. So would this mean that you won't mind getting involved in a major accident?

I am a doctor, running my private clinic and also visiting government hospital. For last 3 months, I am taking all the precautions that is necessary, even more than the guidelines suggest.

I have a 10 months old daughter at home. As soon as I enter my home post hospital visit, I would like to embrace her and even she expects me to hold her. But, I run straight into the shower to clean myself up before going close to her. She doesn't like this and isn't in a same mood when I come back from shower. I am missing all those important tiny playful moments.

My parents stay in seperate locality, about 5 kilometers away. I went only once to visit them, and then too, I spoke with them by standing outside our building gate. Now with the current rule in place, even that won't be possible.

Why I am doing this?
Remember, taking precautions is not only helpful in protecting you but protecting elders and children around.
Close to 70% of people working in my hospital got infected and many young staff too are having severe symptoms. Inspite of this we are fighting hard against the disease.

The mortality is low but infectivity is very high. We all are burdened with sudden rush of patients.

For all the mathematicians who still thinks that percentage of mortality is low, the percentage will become useless for you when few people who are extremely close to you isn't able to fight the disease, have to say goodbye earlier than expected and that too all alone without anyone around their bedside.

I would like to invite anyone who still doesn't understand the seriousness of the disease for a one day tour with me in a hospital to get a reality check.

Rules are formed so that even if 20% of population follows it, then we will have 20% less population burdened with the disease and to be taken care of. And for all the mathematicians out there, 20 % is a huge number considering our population.

Just a request :
Just try to be safe and try to survive the pandemic, we can discuss about the rules and laugh about it later.
We understand that there are few people who have old parents to be taken care of. Authorities might not stop them if the visit is genuine. But if possible, try to reduce the frequency of visits. Get all the required work done for the elderly in a single visit itself. This will reduce your exposure as well as exposure of elderly people as well.
Pandemic will last for few more months and we all will develop a herd immunity eventually. Till then follow precautions and stay safe.

Sorry for the overall harsh looking tone of my post.
DrCar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 02:36   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Mumbai Police have issued guidelines stating that vehicles that ply beyond a 2 km radius from their residence without a valid reason will be impounded.
This is going to be an enforcement nightmare. The cops pretty much have to stop every vehicle on the road and have a conversation to ascertain compliance or non-compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
...Really? In Mumbai? 2kms is very less distance?....

..But the irresponsible responses from some of the fellow Bhpians makes me wonder if we are ever going to get out of this at all!
As a Mumbaikar who is sitting supposedly in the middle of Corona Armageddon, I felt quite amused at your assumption that practically everything is available at one's doorstep in Mumbai. Also, I have to hand it to you for your diatribe against "irresponsible BHPians" and against "people who are reckless and have brought us, as a Nation, to a situation where there seems to be no way out."

Pray tell us sir, who are these reckless people who have brought the nation to its knees? And how are BHPians being irresponsible by stating their opinions (which they are fully entitled to do) about a rule that directly affects their lives?

This line of thinking that people should only go out for work and nothing else was playing out on twitter. And someone asked who would go to buy something from a shop or a business if all people are allowed to do is to only go to work. So, a shop keeper selling car batteries (or spectacles, or mobile phones, or motorcycle gear, or practically anything other than basic groceries and medicines); this shopkeeper would be allowed to go to work. But his customers will not be allowed to come to him because for the customers, the trip to his store is not about "going to their workplace". What a comical situation!! Only, it is not so funny for the shopkeeper. For him, it is grim despondency.

Applying this to Mumbai and to my own life, I need to get my bike or my car serviced from a place that is over 2 kms from the house. Sure, I can wait a while as it is not essential for me to do it immediately. But, it IS essential for the FNG who needs my business. For my mechanic, this is his work. He has not seen any money in 3 months and needs the money to feed his family.

This same logic for practically anything. It is not essential for me to have a vacation, or to eat out. Only there are millions of people who are banking on me to do those exact things so that they can take the money I give them and feed their families.

Also auto rickshaw and cab drivers; their single source of income are people without vehicles who need to travel more than 2 kms. How on earth are they going to survive given that we are going to enter month 4 of an absolutely debilitating lockdown?
mohansrides is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 05:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think the better solution would be to reduce/ban parking near beaches and other recreational spots like parks where people generally crowd. With no public transport and limited parking, these spots will see lesser people.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 06:54   #24
Team-BHP Support

The party has begun:

News link.

From what I hear in various Whatsapp groups, the cops are enforcing this very strictly.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 07:54   #25
BHPian

Just another excuse to impose authority, which they love to do, and make some quick buck. Most of them don't give a damn about people's suffering.

I have to drop my mom to office and return, and go back in the evening to pick her up. Now we are sitting on the fence as to how to go about this. We have managed to avoid contact with the outside world as much as possible. I can't risk everything now arguing with cops who too seem to be affected in quite some numbers, because of a stupid rule.

On one hand they say maintain social distancing, and on the other hand they go around imposing archaic rules.

Last edited by TROOPER : 29th June 2020 at 07:56.
TROOPER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 09:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is effectively a 'soft' reversal of the lockdown relaxations. Saves face for the ruling party and, hopefully, will be effective. I fully support this.
I personally would like to see a bigger reversal of the relaxations provided a month ago, It is asinine to have lifted the lockdown in a city such as Bombay which was/is the worst hit.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Just another excuse to impose authority, which they love to do, and make some quick buck. Most of them don't give a damn about people's suffering.

I have to drop my mom to office and return, and go back in the evening to pick her up.
My mom joined her office colleagues today who rent a car for pick up and drop. Guess what? Good call.

It took them over an hour and half to cover a 8 km stretch! And I'm convinced they would have impounded our car while returning after I'd have dropped my mom.

Good job Mumbai police. You may prevent corona from spreading by a very thin margin, but you're doing just fine at giving Mumbai citizens a great deal of additional stress. Let the harrasment of citizens continue.

The first 3 months were hell for the poor and migrants. Now I guess it's our turn.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 11:49   #28
BHPian

Criticizing the Mumbai police is no solution. we have to understand the rationale behind it. It's simple, they don't want you to step out and risk your self until very important.
we all are highly educated and rule followers in this group, I agree it might be an inconvenience, but think about police who have to deal with every Tom, dick, and harry on the road. There are people who just don't want to understand the seriousness.

The unlock has happened so that people can go about doing their business, employees can report to their jobs and things get moving.
Because of a few idiots, the government/police are left with no choice but to come up with rules.

I completely support a 2 km rule and I believe there is no area in Mumbai wherein a 2 km radius you cannot find things that are needed. This is not the time to indulge in Luxury and choice of brands, but to stay with basics.

Let's Support our law agencies so that we don't end up adding to the burden of the already burdened healthcare system.
akshatmangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 11:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Stupid move, no other words.

Firstly, who and how will you define valid reason? Everyone has their own priorities. E.g. if wife wants to visit her parents who stay alone, is this a valid reason or not? I need some things which I get only in particular store which is 5 Kms away, what should I do?

Secondly, due to Covid19, you can't go out to malls, picnics, hotels etc. Only option left is to go to your relatives or close friends for some relaxation or for a change. Everyone is frustrated sitting at home. Expecting all your relatives and friends stay within 2 km is foolish.

Hope soon we will get Vaccine or some 100% curable medicine for Covid19.

Take care, Stay safe.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 12:00   #30
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If the Govt is trying to slow down the spread to contain the cases within the available medical facility, then it is a welcome move.
If anything else is the reason then it not an effective plan.

Aren't they following what the Govt says & said? They observed the lockdown and when Govt has relaxed the norms, they are out. What else they must do?
The Gov relaxed the norms yes but it was not cancelled. Social distancing is still supposed to be followed. Crowding is still supposed to be avoided. Masks are still supposed to be worn. While people do try and follow protocols, there are quite a few who don't which puts everyone at risk. Why should the cops put themselves at risk when some people have pure and utter disregard for others lives? As I said, it feels that this will be used a deterrence rather than actually impounding vehicles.

Most Viewed