Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

For me it will depend upon the budget. if I am buying something in 20L-30L bracket than I will choose the 1 expensive vehicle option but if I am buying something in excess of 1CR than I may switch to multiple expensive (none of those are inexpensive IMO) vehicles option. A 5 series + Endeavour over an S class any day for me.
//M6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for multiple vehicles.

My ideal garage would be a jack of all trades car and an exciting bike. At this point in my life, this will be it. Somewhere down the line, I would love to add a garage queen like a Padmini or a Gypsy, an honest dream of mine.

Though if my budget were low and I had certain expectations of my vehicle, I would use up the whole budget to ensure I got the maximum possible loaded vehicle in my budget. This is also one of the reason I would prefer a mid-variant of the next segment vehicle than an all-frills loaded smaller car.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd July 2020 at 11:51.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Since i have adequate parking space, i would go with a

1. Jeep compass trailhawk - 4wd + safe, good to drive car for outstation self driven trips with family
2. Toyota Innova a/t - Kids school run / chauffeured around town. When i have to go out of station alone, i would form a flatbed with front passenger seat and take a nap. When i have to take parents or friends along with family, it will be driven by me- that is why i would buy the automatic.
3. Mini cooper S - 2 years pre-owned which i will probably tune to 270-280hp. I will use it for my daily ride in town. Better half will find it easy to drive around and park too due to small size. And for those fun drives alone/ with wife or friend.
4. KTM 790

PS : For 2. I would love to go with a Carnival instead of Innova, but i believe it will be too large for in-city / school trips. Also since i do not like to share cars with my Chauffeur, jeep and mini will be exclusively handled by me/family members.

Since i do not own any of these cars i have taken these images from tbhp reviews/net in the colours i would love to own. hope that is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-innova-crysta.jpg  

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-ktm-790.jpg  

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-mini-cooper-grey.jpg  

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-p6060039.jpg  

Last edited by spkrnh : 2nd July 2020 at 12:05. Reason: forgot to add about the colours i would own them in
spkrnh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:03   #19
BHPian

Mod note: Please Preview before submitting post. Post edited to fix the Quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing! Unique thread idea & I know this will lead to a deadly discussion .

I have always had a multi-car garage & have voted for "multiple vehicles". Would any day pick multiple cheaper cars (would add a bike to the mix, but Indian roads are too unsafe IMHO).

• I buy pre-owned, so get double the value .
Voted for multiple inexpensive cars .
I will also prefer the same . Actually nothing makes more sense than buying preowned . I wont spend 50+ big ones on single new car . I recently bought and Ford endeavour 3.2 titanium just 23k done 2017 model at 60% of the value of new car . Last year I bought a 530d f10 at a mouth watering price just 25k kms on the odometer .
So the whole equation is getting 2 good expensive cars at the price of a new Ford Endeavour . I feel the Ford is as reliable as a toyota can be in the long run and it can be my daily beater car .

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd July 2020 at 12:12.
LEOMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:12   #20
BHPian

This is a fun thread. Quoting myself from the 'Perfect One Car Garage' thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
My ideal garage would always have 3 cars and a few motorcycles. A big, butch preferably uncouth american, a small sensible german and a fast, mad brit/german.
As for the bikes: A mile muncher - Dominar 400, an offroad capable yet sensibly priced tourer - Suzuki vStrom and one to give me the occasional defibrillation - Honda CBR650R.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:30   #21
BHPian

I voted for multiple car garage!

My current garage consists of:

2006 Maruti Suzuki Swift 1.3 petrol - 68000 kms
2011 Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI elegance - 98000 kms
2016 Honda City VX manual - 6000 kms
2017 Hyundai Creta 1.6 Petrol automatic - 30000 kms
2018 Kawasaki Z900 - 5000 kms

My Ideal or should I say practical car is BMW M5. Why I say practical is because it is one car that can satisfy my every craving, it is fast, comfortable and it can tour as well with a decent boot. Currently it sells at 1.5 crore (ex-showroom) which is way over my budget. I can definitely dream about it hoping to achieve it someday.

INSTEAD

How does 7 cars for 7 days of the week sound? (hehehe!)

Monday - E90 BMW 330i
Tuesday - Ford Mustang
Wednesday - Porsche 911 carrera targa 997
Thursday - Lancer/Cedia modded to Evo series
Friday - Polo GTI
Saturday - Mercedes Benz GLE 4 matic (M class)
Sunday - Kawasaki Z900

BTW awesome topic for a thread!
13thpsycho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:37   #22
BHPian

While I am not sure whether this applies to new cars only, I voted for one expensive car whenever we buy one. But we don't dispose off the older car very soon. Mostly we have a 2 car cycle and we go for the best in class (or what makes sense) for the budget available.

When we bought the Manza (budget was ~8 l, no compromise that it had to be the aura + variant). We could have gone for the linea active for the same price but we did not. We did not dispose the Indica for 3 years until it was replaced by my GT TSI. We could have got the Swift/Brio for almost 2 lakhs cheaper or gone for a lower end sedan like Dzire.

When we replaced manza with Ciaz we actually thought of taking the Baleno and having a faster refresh cycle for the GT. Sadly heart does not want to let go off the GT so soon.

My aspirational cars at this point would be the Kodiaq(diesel if they launch it again) or the Ford Endeavour. I wouldn't but a Seltos + Swift for the same price.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:44   #23
BHPian

This thread is certainly going to blow up, I can see it 100%. Great idea, @blackwasp.

To be on topic, I'd choose many inexpensive cars anyday. Honestly, maybe it's my mindset but I just will not be able to convince myself to pay all the extra gargantuan road taxes and then lose even more money through (possibly?) expensive spare parts and service.

Maybe if the taxes weren't so unjustified ( which is never going to happen ), I'd wouldn't be as pessimistic, but not in India.

I would be just fine with a garage that has an Octavia vRS ( which is pretty tuneable, as everybody knows ) for the weekend fun, a sensible but still fun choice ( maybe something like a fuel efficient Figo diesel, again very tuneable ), and maybe if there is money spared some SUV like a Compass. Pretty sure all of this will still be less than the OTR of an AMG.

Last edited by SaiSW : 2nd July 2020 at 12:52.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:44   #24
BHPian

I voted for multiple vehicles, but do not agree with the 1st example only; that is a Swift + Duke. I would pick an Ecosport anyday over this combination.
Otherwise I completely agree on every other example given by you!

With 50 Lakhs, I would get a brand new Superb which is far more luxurious than a C Class or 3 Series and a Thar for off-roading pleasure (we always keep a Hatch for local errands, so I didn't consider it here).
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:47   #25
BHPian

One good car serves my needs. I have not driven a bike in 4 years and don't see myself driving one in next 5 years.
I drive alone, wife refuses to learn, so makes no sense to have multiple cars. Current drive is sufficient for net 3-4 years.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:57   #26
BHPian

Voted for Multiple cars, as the situation demands.

Should be need and hobby based. Although having multiple cars also come with frequent expenditures like EMI, insurance, annual maintenance which might bog you down, but reasonable cars in garage are the need of the hour too.

Clearly, as the saying goes "don't put all your eggs in the samee basket" . In an odd situation, when single car in a garage is away for repairs/ outstation trips, how will other family members back home fend to the requirement then.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Currently, we own three cars. MS Brezza, Honda WRV and MS Ertiga. Brezza is my daily vehicle and my companion for long official trips. Ertiga is for weekend trips and WRV is getting used by the wife. We strongly feel that WRV is no more needed in our garage. We are thinking to replace it with a smaller car and maybe get rid of it.

The option of owning "Multiple inexpensive vehicles" gives freedom to replace the cars.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

I haven't voted for any option. I think this topic is in total contradiction to the ground realities with Covid reeking havoc to the economy and most of our rides remain parked. That said "I'm a one size fits all" type. I don't believe in expensive cars and the upkeep/reliability issues that comes with them.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:19   #29
BHPian

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-psx_20200702_131142.jpg

2011 Honda Jazz - Primary car
1979 HM Ambassador - My prized possession! Old school charm & pure driving experience
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan - My touring motorcycle
2009 Bajaj Pulsar 180 - Local grocery run abouts

Obviously, I prefer a multi car/bike garage than a single car. My whole collection would be worth maybe 6 L, which which will bring me maybe a fully loaded Wagon R today.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:21   #30
BHPian

I would love to have multiple inexpensive cars!
Rather than buying one expensive car and getting bored of it, I would definitely like to own multiple cars for various needs.
-A comfortable and powerful sedan for cruising. (City iVTEC)
-A proper SUV to have some fun in the mud and seat 6-7 people. (endeavor or alturas)
-A hatch to zip through traffic, mod and also for those handbrake U-turns (Polo or 2nd gen Swift)

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 2nd July 2020 at 13:40.

Most Viewed