Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 23:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

Anyday, I would prefer a multicar/bike garage over a regular single vehicle.

Also, a lot more factors have to be taken into consideration before like family requirements, parking space, and of course your balance. My villa can house 3 cars and a few bikes. So, based on my needs, I would love to possess the following ones,
  • My 2010 Swift Diesel - Our daily driver and I'll never let this one go. Learned driving on this one and it'll continue to be our beater car.
  • A pre-worshiped 4x4 - Probably an Endeavour 3.2 or a Fortuner would do. For the highway runs and off-road funs. Would ferry my family too. Always been a big fan of butch SUV's.
  • A comfortable, elegant yet powerful sedan - Looking upon the latest 1.0L Turbos. A Verna Turbo DCT or Rapid TSI will be a very good choice.
Now, coming on to the ones that move our souls,
  • CBR650R - I'm a big fan of sports-tourer ones, for their not-so aggressive yet sporty riding stance and the touring capabilities. Not to forget the sweet-sounding Inline 4 thump and the refinement of the motor I'm a very much devoted to 650 CBR, and I'm pretty sure that my first purchase would be this once I'm out of my college.
  • A RE Himalayan
  • An Activa, for the local household errands.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd July 2020 at 06:46. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 2nd July 2020, 23:53   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

While we thought we had the perfect garage with multiple vehicles to spread out our low running - one for each condition almost
However this lockdown has been brutal for them, with fewer people venturing out - most of them are lying unused and have barely clocked 60% of the kms they would have racked up otherwise.
If there were a choice, would probably reduce one vehicle, and sadly the head votes for the enthusiast choice of the garage - the 328i which has been driven the least since lockdown started; and the heart vehemently objects.
At the moment, just waiting to see how things pan out over the course of this pandemic.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:30   #48
BHPian

Horses for courses as they say. Expensive or inexpensive is relative, your small city roundabout car may be a used alto or a new mini, but if you stay in a small congested town and your primary car is a full sized SUV or sedan, then you definitely need a small car or bike to run errands.
Mine is a garage of the long, short and tall boys.. Honda city for daily hospital commute, Thar crde for road trips, some mild offroading and also evenings out, and my since city is prone to flash floods, the thar is also a perfect 'bad weather' car. Lastly the quintessential small car, one that is somehow very dear to me..tata nano. All three serves different purposes and honestly I cant think of a single (more expensive) car that will do the work of all three.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:32   #49
BHPian

Voted for multiple cars. Supercars are often very expensive to maintain, along with the constant anxiety of a ding or scratch. Parts availability is also often a concern for truly exotic cars, where parts often may take a week or more to arrive.

I would honestly rather have multiple cars if needed that serve different purposes. Maybe something for running errands, another vehicle for long highway trips and a third vehicle if absolutely needed for some occasional fun. All while keeping my pocket relatively light through inexpensive repairs and parts.

Given the progress in technologies across the industry, several features found in 1 crore rupee cars today can also be found on 10 lakh rupee cars, so one does not miss out on much.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:50   #50
BHPian

Voted - Multi-car garage.
Owning multiple cars results in more maintenance charges too.

I own the below vehicles,

Humble Alto F8D - For intercity runs.
CBZ - My Personal drive
Activa - Wife's commute

In Plans,

Looking for a Pre-owned Safari for occasional Highway runs.
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 1 expensive vehicle, but I'm sure I'll be doing the opposite based on circumstances.

In an ideal world, I'd love no commute or commute by bicycle/public transport. More healthy and environmentally friendly. Until COVID struck, I used to commute most weekdays by bicycle (except from mid-November to mid-January) and use my car only on weekends. In case you've not guessed already, I'm a single guy.
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:24   #52

My vote is for multiple cars. I wanted a city car for daily commute that's peppy and maneuvers well, one for the road trips that's spacious and can wade through the unexpected terrains fairly well. And another one, just cause you saved money buying an used Honda CRV as against a brand new one
1. Used Honda CRV Automatic for road trips
2. A new Suzuki Swift for city
3. A new Ford Ecosport Automatic for ... well, the money I saved

The flip side is, being the only person who uses the car at home, I have to make sure I use them all fairly regularly, get them serviced regularly despite low mileage on them. The lock down has made frequent usage of cars even more harder. But I still would continue to opt for a multi car option
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:46   #53
BHPian

I didn't really want multiple cars, but i ended up with these based on need. I feel I have ended up with both options.
An expensive car for comfort - Tesla model 3.
An old seven seater for hauling extended family or friends. Mazda cx9
A beater for hauling things like compost, wood chips, dirt. Or to transport dirty dogs. Ford Ranger
A motorcycle for weekend outings to the mountains. Honda nc700x.
Bicycle and electric scooter to commute to work.(after covid 19)Trek emonda, Xiaomi mi 360

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 3rd July 2020 at 10:47.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:10   #54
BHPian

Nice thread! Voted for multiple inexpensive cars and that's what I follow.

My current garage:
  • 2013 Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI for long trips
  • 2015 Alto 800 as a beater car
  • 2019 Abarth Punto as a weekend fun ride
I feel we need a compact SUV as well and soon we will get one to replace the Rapid.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:12   #55
BHPian

Voted for option 2 and also reflect @GTO’s sentiments. But sadly, I’m only a student and can only dream on.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:15   #56
BHPian

Voted for 1 expensive vehicle, Although I am at a level of 1 inexpensive vehicle.
Whenever I reach that stage, I would prefer one expensive yet RELIABLE vehicle over multiple ones. I can be focussed on it and maintain it immaculately. So, I might end up buying a Toyota / Lexus. But my wife has other plans, she prefers to have her own hatchback to roam around the city.

I can relate this to my 2 wheeler situation. We have four of them at home and I am finding it difficult to maintain each one perfectly.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:22   #57
BHPian

Amazing thread!

It really depends on the price bracket, if I’m looking at a 50 Lakhs bracket then I’d buy a Octavia RS245 and a little hatch like Figo/JTP/GT or a pre-owned Abarth Punto. The joy of buying multiple cars is greater than buying one expensive car!

On the other hand, if I’m looking at a 20 lakhs bracket, I’ll just buy a Seltos GTX+
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:24   #58
BHPian

Voted for multiple vehicles, considering our road and weather conditions one premium car just cannot fit all. I have a friend who owns a 330i and struggles to take it out during monsoon and to dense market areas.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:56   #59
BHPian

I voted for a single car garage, but with a caveat. Under 40 lakhs I would take 1 really nice car. Above 40 and I would go with multiple cars.

At one point I had 4 cars and I am the only person who drives in the family. A Montero, Thar, Duster, and Endeavour. But the upkeep and hassles of maintaining the cars got to me. Now I've downgraded to just one car, the Tiguan. When it boils down to it, it does everything those cars did for me, except for deep water wading.

But I do really want a sportier sedan for weekend drives, so planning on getting a still in warranty pre-owned 330i in a year or two. Which is why I said above 40 and I would go for multiple cars.
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:56   #60
BHPian

Although the 1 expensive car is tugging at my heartstrings, buying multiple relatively cheaper cars makes a lot of sense.

Instead of a 5 series or E Class as the one car, I'd prefer An Octavia + Seltos + Swift/Baleno Auto + an Avenger (I'm 5'5" and that's the only bike I can ride confidently.)

Although, I believe, an individual who is in the market for a 50+ lacs car, already has some combination of the above stated garage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks