Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:57   #61
BHPian

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

Although still a student in his last year of academics, whenever I build up my garage in my dreams, I see multiple cars. Here's a list of cars that I would like to own-

1) For strictly intercity runs:- Nexon EV. I don't like my IC Engines taking a hit because of short runs.
2) A small hatch for fun:- Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI/Swift
3) A highway sedan- 3rd gen Honda City/Skoda Rapid
4) An off-road vehicle:- Thar/Gurkha
5) A highway SUV:- Safari
6) A car on which I can open up the engine myself and just keep modifying it until it fulfills my desire of speed:- Alto K10/800 (Since if anything goes wrong the parts are cheap and second hand parts are also easily available)

So if we sum up all these( Considering Nexon and figo to be brand new) i would be able to get all these just over 40 lakhs. And what do I get if i go to buy a car for 40 lakhs? A fortuner/endeavour? (no offense to owners)

Also I would like to install a 2 post lift and rent a garage so that I can maintain and keep all these cars.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:02   #62
BHPian

I voted for Multiple cars, I always prefer to have Multiple cars in my Garage mainly because

1. The usage differs depending on where I drive.
2. Usually inside Bangalore city, I always Prefer my humble WagonR, though it is 14 Years OLD, it does its purpose,

3. For local runabouts, without Luggage (read office)-> Prefer Bullet Electra, with Luggage -> Prefer Honda Aviator

4. For Highway runs -> I prefer my 6Years old XUV, Which does its duty pretty Well.

5. I can't even think about running my XUV for the shorter commutes inside the Bangalore, Mainly because of the Traffic and Parking Issues.

I have a Agriculture coconut farm land of couple of acres, and sometimes, Though XUV is not AWD, it helps driving inside the complete farm with out any issues , Thanks to High GC, Where Wagon R will/Can not go.

6.Having one single car, will not solve my needs, also, If it is costly, there is human tendency to care for it more ,( Either not parking it on Roadside, or Not taking out at all as I need to take care of parking inside city runabouts) and so many.

7. Considering the Old Bolero/Thar only for Farm runabouts in future, so that it will save XUV from Scratches when I drive it inside the farm.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:07   #63
BHPian

Multiple - here's my story from 2014.
We were in the market for a new car because our 13 year old Zen was showing its age. We booked the newly launched 2014 City in the VX Automatic variant for ~13L OTR Mumbai (SV was the other Auto option) because the F1 fanatic in me was obsessed with the paddle shifters! After waiting for 2 months with no car in sight for delivery, we thought practically it made more sense to switch to the SV Manual (~10L OTR) and put the 3L towards a new Alto K10 AMT (along with selling the Zen).
For the most part, I am happy with the decision because now we have 2 vehicles that the wife/dad can also use easily. But I still dream about paddle shifters...
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:46   #64
BANNED

I will choose multiple. I have below vehicles in my garage.

1. Ford Endeavour 2010 3.0 4x4 automatic cost me 7 lac
2. Ford Ecosport 2017 diesel costs 10 lac
3. Maruthi a star automatic costs 2 lac

All these at price of top end Hyundai creta. I am double happy and have enough parking space at home. I thought of buying Creta in 2017 but I find ecosport as VFM and now I have all these at home due to that decision. I can take big family in Endeavour, for city astar and Ecosport as all rounder.

Excellent topic anyway.

Last edited by johnjojo08 : 3rd July 2020 at 12:48.
johnjojo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:48   #65
BHPian

I chose multiple. But I feel like I didn’t arrive at this decision through a well thought out decision making process like some of you; it just sort of happened.

I have a rule about 3 yr loan tenures, and I have a mental number I’m willing to spend, cumulatively, on monthly EMIs, which I revisit only when purse strings permit. This number is currently split between a a) 2018 Volvo v40 Cross country b) 2019 Toyota glanza c) 2020 Kona electric.

The Volvo is my highway cruiser. The Kona is the city sprinter (sprint is an understatement lol). The Toyota is the errand car; I don’t drive it.

I didn’t plan this garage. I wish I had thought this through like some of you. Sometimes I wonder if the 37 I spent on the Volvo and the 27 I spent on the kona should have been wrapped into a 64 expenditure instead ?! Well I guess I’ll never know. I genuinely love both cars I drive, but I’m not going to pretend I don’t pull up along side a discovery sport (insert any other car in that cost bracket) sometimes and wonder to myself .

Next year when the Volvo is paid up, I am entertaining the fantasy of picking up a wrangler. And thus the saga of the unplanned garage will continue into its next chapter !

Last edited by reihem : 3rd July 2020 at 12:50.
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:59   #66
BHPian

Voted for Multiple:

We've had a two-car system since early 2000. One purely for city commutes and one purely for highways. We are three people at home - Dad, Mom, and I. Since 2011, it became a three-car fold. At the beginning of 2019, we had the Wagon R, Ikon, and Civic - even though the combined running of the cars had fallen to under 800 kms a month and even the outstation trips had reduced to once or twice a year, tops.

But, later last year, we rejigged the whole setup. Since WagonR was being used the most (even though just in the city), we thought of getting something peppier and one that would make the city commutes a little better. Swapped it for an Ignis Alpha (P), even though the Wagon R had clocked just about 35,xxx kms in eight years of ownership.

The Ikon was barely being used and was 14 years old. We'd been carrying it for the last 3-4 years just for the sentimental values, but decided to let it go. We live in an apartment and have two parkings. The third one for the Ikon was rented and the owner from whom we'd taken it was about to purchase a car himself. So, sadly, the Ikon went out.

The Civic too had major expenses coming up. It had clocked around 90,000 kms and was 13 years old. We all loved the car a lot and decided to upgrade to newer, pre-owned version. Once it was gone, we started considering other options that would be more comfortable for parents. With no clear budget in mind, we jumped from Civic to BMW 3 Series, to finally the Ertiga. It's a good utility vehicle, but honestly, it was a big disappointment. From a driver-focused, fun-to-drive Civic, to a more practical, yet not-connecting-to-the-heart Ertiga.

Anyway, that's that and now we have an Ignis and an Ertiga. I'm not happy with this latest purchase (again, it's a good vehicle with no drawbacks really), so I'm looking to add one more car in the mix once the parking issue is sorted out.

P.S.: Oh, and two-wheelers are a strict no-no at home. So, even for the smallest of errands (that can't be covered by walk), it's always a car.

Last edited by satrikon_454 : 3rd July 2020 at 13:01.
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:29   #67
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjojo08 View Post
I will choose multiple. I have below vehicles in my garage.

1. Ford Endeavour 2010 3.0 4x4 automatic cost me 7 lac
2. Ford Ecosport 2017 diesel costs 10 lac
3. Maruthi a star automatic costs 2 lac

Excellent topic anyway.
Wonderful mix of vehicles and it can clearly cater to a variety of needs
I regret some of my buying decisions when I see excellent collection like these. We have multiple cars, but we clearly miss a 6/7 seater for our family outings and we end up taking two cars (though our Corollas can manage short city trips with 4 adults and 2 kids)
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:36   #68
BHPian

I am a firm believer of variety and have opted for the multiple vehicle garage.
Right now we have a total of 6 cars at home, I to myself have:
1.A Polo GT TSI for my everyday runs and office work.
2.A Laura TSI because it's been my favorite car for years and it's a weekend car for me.
3.Aprilia SR150 Race for around office runs for a KM or two, fast enough, good brakes and distinctive, will be replaced by a Navi and Interceptor soon.

Even in future when I plan to go for a Thar or a VCross, the rest will remain and I will add a engine swap 1.5 Brio to the mix soon.
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:37   #69

Voted for multiple cars. Ideal for family with multiple needs...I own a Tata Hexa, Fluidic Verna and an ageing(but evergreen) 14yrs old Alto apart from 2 bikes. Always shuffle. Wifey has her take too
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:48   #70
BHPian

Voted for single car because (a) I am the only driver in my family (b) have noticed that I moved to smaller car, then my RE Classic and then bicycle/walk thanks to Bangalore traffic - simply doesn't make sense to have parked vehicles at home (c) covid is going to impact any decision till 2022 in my paranoid mind. If I get some pre-worshipped, well maintained models though I might end up buying that - Palio/Petra/Adventure 1.6; last gen Civic V AT; Octavia 1.8 TSI AT come to mind.
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:07   #71
KGS
BHPian

My vote for Multiple vehicles.

In my case , it was never planned but somehow it happened.
I started with Pulsar 180 bought on my birthday with some of my own money + some help from my father. After marriage I added Hyundai i20 to it.

Since then I am hooked to this option of a 2 wheeler for local small errands and a car for all other purpose including long drives. This combination also helped me to keep moving rather than depending on cabs in case one of the two are having a downtime like planned servicing or unplanned downtime like punctures.

Due to parking space crunch in Pune, I never got chance to keep multiple cars.
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:50   #72
BHPian

Voted for 1 expensive vehicle.

I'm usually a believer of getting more bang for my buck and i prefer multiple vehicles over 1 single vehicle (pre owned or new).

However, practically, it's a nightmare in upkeep and maintenance of multiple vehicles.

Multiple insurance renewals, multiple PUC certificates, multiple services and other expenses.

Nope
alikidwhy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

This Covid pandemic has forced me to rethink my long held strategy of 2 cars. I have been having 2 cars since 2012. At this stage, it makes be a bit weary to think about servicing, regular running, insurance etc for each car, not to mention each has its set of joys and sorrows. I am contemplating getting one car that will fulfil the purpose of good highway/mixed terrain capability and un-encumbered urban commutability. Names like Compass 4x4 AT and Tucson 4WD come to mind. Although I am a bit hesitant to go diesel for the foreseeable future. If Mahindra come up with a 4WD petrol AT Thar, I might just replace one of my cars with this !
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:34   #74
BHPian

I vote for Multiple but with a big caveat on the car / cars being considered. I would like a mix of desirable car + Beater / Family car + Motor Cycle + Scooter as the budget increases.. Below is my wish list

Budget 15 Lakhs: Single Car + Scooter :- Like I currently have the Nexon Diesel Automatic + TVS NTorq for local runs.

Budget 20 Lakhs: Single Car + Scooter :- Seltos Diesel Automatic + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 30 Lakhs: Two Cars + Scooter :- Harrier Diesel Automatic + Swift Petrol (City / Office runs) + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 40 Lakhs: Two Cars + Scooter :- Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic 4X4 + Swift Automatic Petrol (City / Office runs ) + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 50 Lakhs: Two Cars + Scooter :- Ford Endevour Diesel Automatic 4X4 + Swift Automatic Petrol (City / Office runs ) + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 60 Lakhs: Two Cars + Bike + Scooter :- Ford Endevour Diesel Automatic 4X4 + Kia Seltos HTK Plus Automatic (City / Office runs ) + RE Interceptor + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 80 Lakhs: Two Cars + Bike + Scooter :- Skoda Octavia RS 245 + Kia Seltos Diesel Auto (City / Office runs ) + Ducati Monster + Scooter for local runs.

Budget Rs 1 Cr : Two Cars + Scooter :- BMW 530 D+ Kia Seltos Diesel Auto (City / Office runs ) + RE Interceptor + Scooter for local runs.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I chose multiple. But I feel like I didn’t arrive at this decision through a well thought out decision making process like some of you; it just sort of happened.

I have a rule about 3 yr loan tenures, and I have a mental number I’m willing to spend, cumulatively, on monthly EMIs, which I revisit only when purse strings permit. This number is currently split between a a) 2018 Volvo v40 Cross country b) 2019 Toyota glanza c) 2020 Kona electric.

The Volvo is my highway cruiser. The Kona is the city sprinter (sprint is an understatement lol). The Toyota is the errand car; I don’t drive it.

I didn’t plan this garage. I wish I had thought this through like some of you. Sometimes I wonder if the 37 I spent on the Volvo and the 27 I spent on the kona should have been wrapped into a 64 expenditure instead ?! Well I guess I’ll never know. I genuinely love both cars I drive, but I’m not going to pretend I don’t pull up along side a discovery sport (insert any other car in that cost bracket) sometimes and wonder to myself .

Next year when the Volvo is paid up, I am entertaining the fantasy of picking up a wrangler. And thus the saga of the unplanned garage will continue into its next chapter !
Committed the ultimate sin of not adding photos.

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-3494cd9cc20c48099ee1383dba0ec938.jpeg

Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?-9d1ccf74e53f42668a89c86e62a2ed70.jpeg
reihem is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks