Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
1 expensive vehicle 173 26.62%
Multiple inexpensive vehicles 477 73.38%
Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 23:47   #121
BHPian

Re: Your ideal garage: One expensive car, versus many inexpensive cars & bikes?

Voted for multiple inexpensive cars.
Currently own a Vento MT (P), Ameo DSG (for the ease of driving in Mumbai) and Figo S TDCI (for trips especially on Konkan Ghats and like)
The total of these three cars would come close to 29 Lakhs. If given a wish to rehash my choices with the same budget then it would be something like this:

Pre-owned Liva (D): For my Father for his frequent trips to Pune.
Abarth Punto: For myself to satiate the enthusiast in me.
S Cross 1.6 (D): For a mix of all - city drives, FTD and long term ownership.
To complete it and if resources permit then a good electric scooter.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 08:46   #122
BHPian

Currently Multiple cars instead of one.

2 year old Honda Amaze V CVT Diesel for part city and out station trips

13 year old Honda Civic AT for some Petrol iVTEC fun and the fantastic drive factor

5 year old Thar for my off roading itches and weekend casual open Window drives - the “real” SUV factor

Only the Amaze is new, the two are used cars.

Overall the value is much lesser than 17L, but all in fantastic condition and I have a choice to pick one as I wish. Fortunately I have space to park as of now

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 19:30   #123
BHPian

I voted for multiple inexpensive vehicles and bikes.

Going by the options available, one additional option would have found more favour and that was "jaisi jiski soch" by bagha from "tarak mehta ka oolta chashma" fame.

Reason for multiple inexpensive vehicles is that for me nano twist is best suited for hassle free city driving, grocery runs, better for parking with small footprint whereas linea t-jet is perfect for highway drives and outstation trips.

Both are absolutely perfect in their own way and that helps me a lot. I feel that with one expensive car all these benefits would not have been available to me. Also after around 6 years with both cars, my running has been almost equally distributed among them which has also helped in better maintenance of both of them.
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:47   #124
BHPian

Voted for Multiple Inexpensive Cars.

Problem with owning just one expensive car would be -

1. Breakdown - Need to rely on other cars. But in times like Covid, taxi and borrowing a friend's car, both are unsafe.

2. Sometimes you might need to go to a place where you would not like people to take notice of your wealth.

3. Sometimes we are in a situation when suddenly we require a packet of milk/ sugar/salt/medicine etc. Need to go to that shop a km or two away (when you cannot walk/its raining/very sunny). Its better to start a hatchabck or an activa than parking a shiny blue BMW X5 in front of that shop

4. If u have an accident at home and the car refuses to start!
Although chance for this to happen is rare because Accident at home, Car not starting, to happen both at the same time is hardly common.

Ideal combo for me would be to buy an X5 for trips and an ecosport/Brezza/ Baleno (all Automatic) for city use. And a Classic 350 for basically anywhere, road side shop or Laddakh!

But, if I am not allowed any expensive car, the combo would be Tata Hexa for long trips and weekend drives (only if Endeavour counts as expensive, and btw i do not like Innova Crysta much for the price) + Ecosport/Brezza/ Baleno (all Automatic) for city use and a Classic 350!
Old 2nd August 2020, 20:23   #125
BHPian

Quote:
You may not vote on this poll
I could not vote for this poll, but here are my two cents on the same. My vote would have been different depending upon the budget.

There are two drivers in my family at the moment - me and my father. My father is more of a 2-wheeler guy and he loves his Piaggio Vespa 150 (1961 model) and I recently bought my first car.

(I am not against pre-worshiped cars but for my location, maintenance and availability of parts is bit of a problem besides owners quoting exorbitant rates for their prized possessions. Hence, I shall only consider only new cars for my selection.)

Budget - under 11 lakhs: One expensive vehicle (plus one cheap 2 wheeler )
My reason being that there must be at least 2 vehicles in my garage, one for emergency purposes; hence, the choice. My picks would be Tata Nexon and Honda Activa.

Budget - 35 lakhs: Multiple vehicles
Now, here I am spoiled with choices. I will buy one SUV, one hatchback, one sedan, one scooter and one motor cycle. Hell, I will have to run an optimization algorithm for the best bang for buck combination but here is my initial one: Tata Nexon xz+, Honda City V, Tiago xz+, RE Interceptor 650 and Suzuki Access 125 .
Old 5th October 2020, 07:46   #126
BHPian

Voted for multiple inexpensive vehicles.

But my actual vote would be for "multiple vehicles (irrespective of the costs)". If I could afford cars worth millions & tens of millions of Dollars, I would still opt for multiple vehicles.
My current mix:
A 2-seater sporty (hard top only) convertible (& close to be my 2nd beater) - Mercedes SLK
A soft AWD SUV (Diesel locomotives only) - closest to be my beater car too - Audi Q3
A hearthrob classic & performance car - Porsche 911 Targa4S

Few more to complete in the next few years:
A performance+abuse friendly Offroader - Ford Bronco (hopefully) &/or a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
A performance Sedan - Porsche Panamera Turbo S-E hybrid
A pure electric car (low priority, unless they can make similar sounds & vibrations as Dinosaur powered ones that I love) - Porsche Taycan 3rd gen (when it comes in the future) or The Tesla Cybertruck &/or the Tesla Roadster :-p

As you would imagine, all the cars above are very different & I just cannot confine myself into a monogamous relationship with just 1 car :-)
Each satisfies a particular urge & purpose.
"Always use the right tool for every work you intend to do".

Last edited by anks_at : 5th October 2020 at 07:59.
anks_at is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 10:33   #127
BHPian

At both very low and high price points, I'd go for a single expensive vehicle. For 10 lacs its probably better to buy a Tata nexon or altroz than buying 2 Datsun redi-gos.

And at a higher price point, a Ferrari f8 isn't replaceable with anything cheaper. Sure, you could similar acceleration from an m5 (even faster times when tuned). But then it'd be too heavy and long to go around a track. So you'd buy a Cayman gt4, which is almost there but not quite, a little underpowered compared to the f8.

However, everything between these it makes sense as pointed out by many others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks