Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 23:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors to build an Ertiga-rivalling MPV

Tata's next big project - after Hornbill's launch - will be the Ertiga/Marazzo rival MPV. To be built on the ALFA platform, the MPV might be offered in two flexible seating configurations.

The test bed is likely to use the Nexon's 1.5L turbocharged diesel unit which belts out 108BHP & 260Nm, for now. No details on a petrol option yet.

Testing should start by the festive season ahead, with a targeted launch in early/mid 2022.

This MPV might join 2 other Tata biggies - the Peregrin & Goshaq sedans - as Tata's main launches for FY2022-23, as the Indian auto major looks to fill up all of the important product gaps in it's future PV lineup.

Thanks to a birdie for this info.
RavenAvi is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Motors to build an Ertiga-rivalling MPV

Tata Motors to build an Ertiga-rivalling MPV - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:26   #3
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to build an Ertiga-rivalling MPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hi RavenAvi Sir, can you please ask your birdie about the possible Tata Altroz Petrol Auto release dates ? I have been waiting for some info on this for a long time now. I can understand all carmakers are facing delays due to the pandamic situation but some tentative timelines will be very helpful.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Tata's next big project - after Hornbill's launch - will be the Ertiga/Marazzo rival MPV. To be built on the ALFA platform, the MPV might be offered in two flexible seating configurations.

The test bed is likely to use the Nexon's 1.5L turbocharged diesel unit which belts out 108BHP & 260Nm, for now. No details on a petrol option yet.

Testing should start by the festive season ahead, with a targeted launch in early/mid 2022.

This MPV might join 2 other Tata biggies - the Peregrin & Goshaq sedans - as Tata's main launches for FY2022-23, as the Indian auto major looks to fill up all of the important product gaps in it's future PV lineup.

Wow, seems like tata really wants to offer a car in each and every segment although the sedans don't look that appealing considering the shift towards SUVs today an mpv might be attractive and they could probably provide cng to woo fleet and taxi buyers ?
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:01   #5
BHPian

I feel sad for TATA. I know this car will to die a slow death because of our nitpicking. It's better TATA stops
wasting money on so much of R and D. Instead they should just focus on adding excess of bling to the their existing car, add a big 15" touchscreen because no one cares about your car's robustness and safety aspects. Launch a flimsy car with lot of gizmos, price it less and it will sell like hot cakes.

We are brand conscious people and we will readily throw our money on overpriced VAG cars.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 2nd July 2020 at 12:03.
Storm2.0 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:26   #6
BANNED

If somebody wants to get inspiration in life, you only have to look at Tata motors. Any other manufacturer would have accepted defeat in Indian market where mediocre products rule the sales chart. But it takes integrity and self belief that the way forward is bringing safe and quality products. You need balls of steel to do that. I’m sure in the long run Tata will emerge victorious, as GTO always says there is no problem a right product can’t address. I’m yet to meet an unhappy Nexon owner! I can’t wait to see the MPV, Creta rival and the Sedans.
The Rationalist is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:36   #7
BHPian

Good move. Should be an instant hit in the 7 Seater Cab market where they are well known. This could also be a good replacement for Xylo/ Ertiga based fleet market too
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Before they do that, they must bring out an AWD Harrier. Otherwise there is no value proposition for that car other than a powerful engine. At least right now, it sits somewhere between the Seltos/Creta and the Compass/Tucson. With a 7 seater MPV bordering on SUV'ish dimensions, Harrier will be in an odd territory. Its difficult to justify the difference of nearly 10 lac Rs between the Nexon and the Harrier in terms of utility, except for the engine and a few more airbags.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 2nd July 2020 at 14:02.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I feel sad for TATA. I know this car will to die a slow death because of our nitpicking. ...
Would like to disagree on this.

Tata executives must have the number 3 spot on the sales chart in their mind, which means they need to plug in all the gaps upto INR 30 lac. Looking at the Hexa, they have the expertise to make a solid MPV. And they just need to reel in those customers who have to pick up a Ertiga/XL6 because of a lack of choice. I'm sure there are many.

Add to that, if they bring it with a 5 star safety rating, customers looking for a safe people mover will definitely have it on the top of their list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Before they do that, they must bring out an AWD Harrier. ....
Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Why even compare the Nexon and Harrier? And haven't they justified that there's not enough demand for AWD in the market?

Last edited by TROOPER : 2nd July 2020 at 14:14.
TROOPER is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Tata's next big project --- will be the Ertiga/Marazzo rival MPV. To be built on the ALFA platform---
I feel it would be extremely difficult to woo shoppers in an already loaded segment unless Tata has some great USPs not easy to be copied by competitors. I sincerely hope them the best, but in my opinion, their existing and even bygone products were very capable, only marred by public perception. Just last year, I sat in a Sumo after ages, and I wondered how could this fail with such wonderful ride and huge interior space.
P.S.- If I were to decide on Tata's behalf, I would certainly transform the already capable Sumo into BS-6 ready with all other latest compliance requirements (ABS, Airbags, rear parking sensors, Pedestrian safety, etc.) and invest the remaining amount in revamping the public perception rather than invest in developing a new MPV.
Researcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

If this is real news, then I appreciate their chivalrous attitude during such times, but I sincerely feel they should tie all the loose ends and recoup the lost customer trust, market share and a few quality issues before they experiment with another product. The Altroz is struggling to move out of the showrooms, can't blame the market as I still do see many new Cretas/Seltos's/Carnivals.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:04   #12
BANNED

Marazzo could not make dent in sales of Ertiga. Marazzo is a well rounded product and Mahindra should have offered a TC automatic in that. It will take lots of effort and huge stroke of luck i must say for Tata to develop a product which will beat Ertiga. I also wonder why Tata could not make Hexa sales zoom inspite of an awsome product ( we own two of them in XTA and makes us smile everytime we ride them). My guess is they give up on there own too soon. The other day we sat in Altroz at a dealer and the feel, the design left me amazed how Tata has grown still sales donot reflect the same sucess that Maruti or Hyundai enjoy (even though I truly feel competiton is inferior in main areas of ride comfort and safety).

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 2nd July 2020 at 15:10.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:12   #13
BHPian

Nice to know!

We will be in the market for a new car after 3 years and we always look for a MPV. So, if TATA gets it right, we will be the first ones to have a hand on it!

Will see how it works!
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:26   #14
BHPian

Why dont our politicians buy a the Tata Hexa or Harrier instead of buying the overpriced Innovas with Tax Payer Money. I believe it would also lead to a considerable saving to the govt.

If they truly mean what they say with, all the "Vocal for Local" and "Go desi" slogans then from now on, they should put their money and actions where their mouth is.
ZenMaster is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata's next big project - after Hornbill's launch - will be the Ertiga/Marazzo rival MPV. To be built on the ALFA platform
This MPV might join 2 other Tata biggies - the Peregrin & Goshaq sedans - as Tata's main launches for FY2022-23,
Great to know scoopmaster!!!

It's a space that just begs for competition. Leave crossovers aside, there is a big enough market for 7 seater MPVs priced ~10 lakhs.
Wish the Tata MPV is in the Ertiga class rather than the, not here not there Marazzo.
Good to know the Peregrin and Goshaq projects are on track and not sacrificed on the altar of crossovers.

No development on the Omega platform?
Looks like the engine trouble has rattled them.

No new products, ofcourse an MPV on the Omega platform would have been awesome but with the Gravita's presence, and the probable come back of the Hexa, would be a crowded line-up.

wonder where the platform hunting Blackbird project went off...
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks