Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 13:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Skoda India Sold 151 Units Of New Karoq In June 2020.

June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-smartselect_20200705125933_chrome.jpg

https://gaadiwaadi.com/skoda-india-s...-in-june-2020/
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 13:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Skoda managed to sell just 577 units of Rapid in June? That is very low considering the media coverage it got for base rider variant. I was expecting 1000 unit atleast.
In my opinion, Skoda has managed decent numbers for June and managed to beat City and Ciaz. Verna had low production in Feb'20 due to imminent launch of facelift. Facelift was launched towards end of March. July numbers will be interesting to watch.

Name:  sedan jun20.PNG
Views: 4147
Size:  4.4 KB
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
In June 2020, Tata Motors' sales fell just 9.47% YoY compared to an average decline of 46% across the industry.
This is a typical coin with 2 sides news. While its great to see that a homegrown car maker lost the least business YoY - it is also a reminder that the company did terribly poor already in the previous year!
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 19:54   #49

Good to see the two siblings - Creta and Seltos fight it out for the 2nd and 3rd spot respectively. Expect this rivalry to last till a new boss arrives. Personally, I would prefer the Seltos more for its looks rather than the Creta but then, Hyundai has been a market player for a long time in India.

Interestingly, Sedans are the lowest sold - understandably so with the lower numbers of Ciaz and City. Probably, the numbers will rise going forward with the new City.

Happy to see the new car launches such as Kia Carnival, MG ZS EV hit the 100 mark even in these conditions. With the launch of MG Hector+ in the nearest future, it seems to be happy days for the Chinese camouflaged UK Company - should one really buy MG though at these times?
rajat89agg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This is a typical coin with 2 sides news. While its great to see that a homegrown car maker lost the least business YoY - it is also a reminder that the company did terribly poor already in the previous year!
Maybe TATA is improving both on the technical as well as the sales/marketing fronts and the perception of the car buyers is changing slowly.
I recollect a far from pleasant experience my friend had with the then newly launched Harrier last year in a tierII city. The lackadaisical salesman nor the seniors were even bothered about executing the delivery of the car. This enraged my friend so much that he got senior TATA persons involved and ultimately the dealership got a severe dressing down and he managed to get compensatory discounts in the bargain.
I hope that with improved products and marketing and after sales support TATA will slowly inch it’s way upward through the sales charts. Mindset can only be changed with consistency in overall performance.
moncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 23:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless_IN View Post
I also don't understand why Ford is unable to sell their cars in India. Be it Figo, Aspire, Freestyle and Ecosport, all are wonderful American cars with fully loaded features, high on safety, solid build and competitive pricing as well.
I can only think of three reasons. It is pretty much the same points mentioned by swarnava.ch, but will just put it in my perspective. Feel free to correct me on the below info.

Lack of automatics across variants and models: Ford could never sell their automatics in good numbers for Figo/Aspire. They had automatic only on a single variant(Titanium) which was also not the top variant. They never had an automatic variant in Freestyle at all (Ford claims that their research reveals that CUV customers prefer only manual - https://twitter.com/FordIndiaHelp/st...02677396799488). With these issues, when they can't sell numbers, I would expect them to address this by increasing the range of automatics across variants. Instead, they dropped the automatic in Figo and Aspire in the beginning of this year and maintain that it will reintroduced later in the year. Only time will tell what is coming on this.

Infamous deletion of features: Ford deleted Sync3 with Android Auto/Apple carplay from Ecosport Titanium+ last year. Titanium+ is their 2nd top variant and the automatic is available only in this variant. So, if you need an automatic, you need to lose Sync3. Next, in BS6, they have removed Sync3 from Aspire altogether. While the popularity and usage of Google maps is increasing, Ford is trying to convince to settle for FlyAudio which I feel is not appropriate.

Mahindra JV: I can't blame Ford for this, but still this move has raised lot of questions for potential buyers whether Ford as a brand will continue making cars and come up with new launches. To give an example, I had a chat with my friend recently who is looking for an upgrade from hatch. When I suggested the Ecosport, she was not considering it citing Ford's uncertainty as the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
We don’t know what is the outcome of Mahindra and Ford’s marriage clearly still. It’s just predictions. And this thought shouldn’t be stopping the prospective Ford buyers.
I would actually say that the lack of clarity is keeping few customers away from Ford. When someone intends to put 10L+, there needs to be some assurance on the brand's future. On my personal view, I feel Ford is here to stay, but I am not sure if this is what the outside world thinks.
skarthiksr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 23:49   #52
BHPian

Is there a typo, for May and June Kodiaq is listed in sales figures, should not it be Karoq instead?
Old 6th July 2020, 09:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

In Tiago and Nexon, Tata has now got two brands that they can nurture for years. I hope they do facelifts and full model platform refreshes to these models religiously and grow them into brands like Swift and Vitara which has been around for decades now. Such brands create a long-running revenue channel if a bit of effort is put into maintaining the freshness every 2-3 years.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th July 2020 at 09:52.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:03   #54
BHPian

Could the call for "Vocal for Local" be a small reason for this revival of sorts for Tata?
They are definitely producing magnificent and safe cars now, so maybe Indians are overlooking that weak service and sales attitude to stand behind the Tata brand?

(I personally surely fall in the category of people who are now consciously rallying behind Indian brands)
Old 6th July 2020, 11:52   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Segment toppers for June-20.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 3161
Size:  165.7 KB

- Compact Hatchback segment was the largest segment in terms of volumes while Mid-SUV was the sole segment to register a positive YoY growth.

-Compact SUV was the third largest segment and contributed to over 13% of the passenger car sales in India for June 2020.

-Entry and Premium Hatchback ranked fourth & fifth respectively in segment-wise sales.

-MUV segment too has grown considerably and now contributes to over 10% of the overall sales.

Name:  2_alto.PNG
Views: 3088
Size:  8.7 KB

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 3045
Size:  9.7 KB

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 3046
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  5.PNG
Views: 3036
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  6.PNG
Views: 3034
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  7.PNG
Views: 3023
Size:  8.2 KB

Name:  8.PNG
Views: 3015
Size:  6.6 KB

Name:  9.PNG
Views: 3055
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  10.PNG
Views: 3015
Size:  8.2 KB

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 3013
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 3025
Size:  9.4 KB

Name:  13.PNG
Views: 2989
Size:  5.0 KB

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th July 2020 at 11:55.
Old 6th July 2020, 12:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

All Nexon, Altroz, Tiago and Harrier are very good cars in their respective segments with good price and good engine options. Where Tata scores is safety with all their cars scoring heavily in safety ratings. Where Tata lags is A.S.S., pathetic sales and service in many places. With current models, they should be able to sell at least 50-70% more. All cars has huge potential. Wake up Tata, don't make same mistake again and again.
Old 6th July 2020, 13:14   #57
BHPian

Due to lockdown, prospective buyers got a lot of time to watch/read car reviews. Majority of the reviews are of full praise for new tata cars, and tata deserves it. I know a lot of buyers who never think beyond a Suzuki or Hyundai, but this time the lockdown and anti china sentiment may have forced the buyers of at least considering tata cars.
RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 18:24   #58
BHPian

So this is the reason Tata dealers aren't giving any additional discounts on Nexon.

A friend of mine booked a Tata Nexon XZA+ AMT today in Bangalore and inspite of being a hard negotiator, he could not get much of a discount. Not even the corporate discount of 3000 is available on Nexon during this month.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:30   #59
BHPian

My friend wanted to purchase a car before the pandemic hit us and we happened to visit the nearest Tata showroom on a Sunday afternoon in February. The new launches were all sitting in the showroom like the Altroz, Tiago facelift, Nexon facelift and Harrier facelift. We saw a bit of excitement in the showroom, which is very unusual for a Tata showroom. There were good number of serious buyers and everyone looked interested. I spoke to 3 prospective buyers. My friend seriously considered the Nexon and was sure about it. I am sure, if not for the pandemic, Tata would have had a good run in these months. The numbers in the article is a proof of the same. They must have received good bookings and all these despatches must be the backlog of the same. The factory, if I am not wrong, is in an Orange zone and can work with good number of employees. I know someone in the design department and they are currently working from home. Not much is happening as per that person in the design area currently.
Old 10th July 2020, 20:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India today announced that it has managed to retail just 2948 units in the H1 (January-June) the calendar year 2020.

57 % of cars sold in June 2020 were SUVs. GLS attributed to 22% to the overall sales.

June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-smartselect_20200710201257_chrome.jpg

Mercedes is also looking forward to introduce two new models in H2 2020.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/merc...f-2020-2260673

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th July 2020 at 20:14.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks