Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

June 2020: Tata registers lowest degrowth among carmakers

In June 2020, Tata Motors' sales fell just 9.47% YoY compared to an average decline of 46% across the industry.

The home-grown carmaker dispatched 11,419 units in the month compared to the 12,614 units in the same month last year. In the same period, Maruti sales fell by 53.8%, Hyundai by 49.24% and Mahindra by 54%.

Nexon, Harrier and Tiago dispatches are almost back to pre-Covid19 levels while Altroz and Tigor numbers are not far behind. Tata is now positioned in third place behind Maruti and Hyundai.

Other manufacturers like Renault, Skoda, Volkswagen, Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Datsun and Jeep registered a degrowth of 13.3%, 19.95%, 26.98%, 45.31%, 50.51%, 52.36%, 55.30% and 67.63% respectively.

June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2020tataaltroz012.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP news

Last edited by Aditya : 4th July 2020 at 21:43. Reason: Adding figure
blackwasp is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think cars which had a BS6 engine available before lockdown are doing a little better. Tata probably had a lot of bookings pending due to this lockdown which are now getting realized and hence explain the third position.
Hondas best sellers have been the WRV and City, both will have their BS6 versions released just yesterday or in the next few days so can't really come to a conclusion if their products are well received or not.
VW has a stale product, not sure if BS6 version 1.0 litre engine will help revive sales.
Mahindra will soon catch up as the BS6 Scorpio and Bolero is now on sale, fingers crossed.
One interesting thing that Tata should take a note of is that MG Hector, Kia Seltos dispatches are respectable even during tough times, while Harrier continues to sell just about 600 units.

49 Vellfires sold against 79 Yaris, says a lot about what people expect from Toyota, no ?
NiInJa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:54   #33
BHPian

Happy to see this . A positive news for TATA and its time to up the ante and take this momentum forward. That Humanity Line is creating positive vibes. First they scored with the designs, build, NCAP tests, BS6 ready models and now this. Wish they had the same momentum with the capable Harrier. TATA were always related to bigger cars. All those are failing and the new small segment cars are adding the sales for them. Those initial perceptions (realities?) are hard to forget.

High time to create soul stirring Ad's, like those of Tata Estate and 1st Gen Tata Safari and create a connection with the general public. Improve the after sales and service and see more cars flying.

Another emotional reason could be those WhatsApp forwards, which, I guess members here would also have received. "Ratan Tata has donated crores for the Covid 19 battle and we Indians in general don't support him and run behind foreign co's. Start supporting the Indian Car makers"

Last edited by saisree : 3rd July 2020 at 19:19.
saisree is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:19   #34
BHPian

This is a bit of a surprise! Wasn't expected to be honest. Yet, they have been working hard. Can't take that away from them. The designs are the best in the market. They are at the top of the safety charts. Quite feature-loaded, coming up with refreshes and upgrades quite fast too! Better marketing, can lead to an image change - but MOST IMPORTANT - if they treat the customers they have got NOW right, then in another year the good will can percolate and convince many fence sitters who have taken note of their efforts, but are vary of putting their money there.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:15   #35
BHPian

It's good to see Tata holding on to their sales and posting the least decline. Although I must admit that I am quite disappointed with the Tata Harrier numbers. I would have thought they would have sold at least a 1000 pieces in June.
It's an attractive vehicle, especially in its new avatar with its excellent automatic gearbox, a more powerful & a responsive 170 BHP engine, a huge panoramic sunroof and so many variants. Hopefully in July they will cross the 4 digit mark. Fingers crossed.
Tata cars have a long way in terms of design, quality, refinement and safety. Would love to see them do well !!
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:33   #36
BHPian

Maruti has a large customer base in sub 10Lacs price range for their products. The economical impact due COVID Lockdown for the mass is showing the sales trend for Maruti in my opinion. Sales for 10 Lacs + price bracket cars seem to be coming close to pre COVID levels.
Doc_Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 01:26   #37

Great to See 3 Tata cars in top 20.
This lockdown has seen people realising and understanding Tata cars much better than earlier. Their value and safety proposition is unmatched by any mass market manufacturer.
The design language inside out is Modern and the variety of powertrain and transmissions is incredible for an Indian Manufacturer , and all have proved reliable .
Their portfolio of Tiago , Altroz, Tigor , Nexon, Nexon EV & Harrier cover the price range from 5 lakhs to 21 lakhs beautifully.
All models updated in 2020 in design and mechanically.
Overall Better days for Tata cars to come soon. 2020's will be ruled by Tata Motors
Mangesh Borkar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 10:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Compact SUV Sales Performance – Q1 FY2021 (April- June20)

-April 2020 registered ZERO sales due to the month-wide national lockdown.

- May 2020 too was hugely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and many parts of the country were still resuming businesses slowly.

-June 2020 saw the recovery trend and numbers improved. However; the uncertainty due the rising Covid19 still lurks around

June 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-csuv.jpg

- Hyundai Venue emerged as the best selling Compact SUV for Q1 FY2021 with a Market Share of 28%.

- Maruti Brezza slipped to the 2nd spot and could manage a Market Share of just 26%.

- Tata’s Nexon overtook the likes of XUV300 & Ecosport and sealed the third position.

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 11:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Skoda managed to sell just 577 units of Rapid in June? That is very low considering the media coverage it got for base rider variant. I was expecting 1000 unit atleast. There are many rapid delivery videos in youtube itself. Bring that base variant with an auto box Skoda!
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 11:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I don't understand the low numbers on the Ford's (except Endeavour) part. What do these vehicles really lack?

Feature packed? Check
Competent engines? Check
Competent ride and handling balance? Check (probably best in segment)
Solid build? Check
Competent ASS? Check
Price? Most VFM, Check
NVH factor? Really great.

Despite all these, I really don't understand the consistently low numbers. I had recently purchased a low run ES Sports, and I absolutely can't fault it for anything other than the slightly less spacious cabin (superb for 4 though).
I agree with your point. I also don't understand why Ford is unable to sell their cars in India. Be it Figo, Aspire, Freestyle and Ecosport, all are wonderful American cars with fully loaded features, high on safety, solid build and competitive pricing as well.

IMHO, Ford has lost the brand name due to poor after sales service and expensive maintenance cost in past, due to which buyers are not looking forward to go with Ford.

Even when I decided to buy Ecosport, many of my friends warned me about their high maintenance cost and poor after sales service. But when I experienced, there was no such problem experienced by me. My services were well in cost and due to low vehicle volume, the quality of service was good as well.

No doubt about the quality of the products. They are way better than Japanese car makers.
fearless_IN is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 00:36   #41
BHPian

Now this is something good to hear. Truly deserving for TATA for their recent effort. Come on TATA , revamp your after sales please.

Last edited by SDP : 5th July 2020 at 07:49. Reason: Formating
Old 5th July 2020, 08:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless_IN View Post
I also don't understand why Ford is unable to sell their cars in India.
Let me share some insights for this question. while looking for a small city compact automatic option a few friends suggested to look for a Ford vehicles due to the same reasons you mentioned - build and general reliability.

Called the showroom and spoke to SA.
There is no Automatic option with the Figo anymore with BS6 updates. Only manual available.
Then casually asked about only automatic option in Ecosports and requested a testride.
The Testdrive itself was good but you will be surprised at the Ford strategy for ICE. they have given a big central ICE screen without Sync 3, Android Auto, Apple carplay. It has a local map installed but the experiance is just terrible.
Last point is that the discussions around Ford Mahindra joint venture is not helping prospective customers at all. I personally feel it may not be such a bad move but its again something only time will tell.
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Last point is that the discussions around Ford Mahindra joint venture is not helping prospective customers at all. I personally feel it may not be such a bad move but its again something only time will tell.
Agree with your reply on the Ecosport. But the above quoted post seems to be a bit exaggerated IMHO. It’s like telling “This couples son is not going to study in IIT, even before the couple got married”.

We don’t know what is the outcome of Mahindra and Ford’s marriage clearly still. It’s just predictions. And this thought shouldn’t be stopping the prospective Ford buyers.
Old 5th July 2020, 11:39   #44
BHPian

Yes! I thought I was seeing things. Ever since the lockdown was lifted, I had been noting the increased numbers of Altroz, Tiagos, and especially the Harrier. Glad to see that Tata is being rewarded for their exceptionally good product range.
GKR9900 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has slowly but steadily lost its way in our market. The new city is not a revolutionary product from any angle and combined with the effects of this virus, I fear it would not do any sort of wonders for the carmaker. Also the market has majorly shifted towards compact SUVs in the 10-20L Rs segment and is hurting the C+ segment cars real hard. Why cannot Honda show come motivation and come out with a compact SUV in both the 10-14L and 14-20L segments? The WRV is a joke of a car and lacks the appeal of an Ecospsort or Nexon.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks