Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Octavia today?
Yes 509 72.30%
No 195 27.70%
Voters: 704. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

YES!

Though my first pick would be the RS from the previous generation. True classic!

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-109997.jpg
(Picture courtesy - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...km-review.html (Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review))
Geo_Ipe is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
(Please let me know if anyone else has also come across the same issue #4 below)
I have faced this issue and Skoda replaced both the headlights in warranty. I've seen some Audi A4 & Q5s with similar DRL yellowing. Skoda ASS told me that this problem arises because of high temperature. I'm not completely convinced, though.
madhavabeer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
(Please let me know if anyone else has also come across the same issue #4 below)
Yes this issue is present on almost all Non Split headlamp (2013-2017) Octavia and even most Audi A4 B8.5 (2012 end onwards facelift) models

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd July 2020 at 16:49. Reason: quote tags fixed
123.rishabh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No. They say that changing opinions take a long time and mine hasn't yet changed enough regarding Skoda and its saga on Tbhp. Also spares are expensive and after sales centres can vary from satisfactory to outright criminals. I would rather buy a used 3 series for almost the same price or marginally more. Better brand, better dynamics, more reliable perhaps and decent after sales service. My 320d is now going to complete 7 years in November, 2020 and has run 69k kms without any fuss. The current market price for it is hardly 12L.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd July 2020 at 17:21.
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voting a very, very strong YES. If I wanted a pre-worshipped sedan for a million bucks, it would either be the Octavia or Jetta. I would avoid the 1.8 TSI though. My pick would be the 2.0 TDI with the more durable 6-speed DSG. Or of course, that stonking vRS. I'd then get rims like this:
Attachment 2024385

Any reason to avoid 1.8 TSI, as guys in NCR would prefer a petrol than a 5 year old diesel, considering the lack of clarity on the 10 year old diesel ban.
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:20   #21
BHPian

As much as I like Skodas, I'm going to vote NO. The primary reason being I own a 2006 Skoda Laura and the Octavia just does not feel as solid as the Laura to me (build and ride wise).

Had the chance a few months back to drive an Octavia for an extended period of time (it was a low mileage pre facelift diesel automatic, I think 2014 or 2015 model).

The space (especially at the back) and seating comfort is a step up from the Laura. And it really is a pleasure to drive on the highway - the engine has more than enough grunt to effortlessly cruise, but I felt the ride was unsorted over bad roads - the car felt skittish over broken roads and I could feel the shaking when seated in the front pasenger seat.

The Laura has a much more composed ride I feel, and bad roads does not faze it.

I also felt the build quality has gone down a notch compared to the Laura - especially the interior trim parts. This is my personal perception.

I will have to drive the TSI variant to see if the ride is better in that version as I remember reading in the team bhp review that the diesel version has a downgraded suspension setup.
Games Goblin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:43   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Any reason to avoid 1.8 TSI, as guys in NCR would prefer a petrol than a 5 year old diesel.
- With European cars, I usually prefer diesels as they are more durable.

- 1.8 Petrol's DSG is destined to fail.

- 2.0 TDI is remap ready and pretty damn fast with one.

- Diesel's 6-speed DSG is more reliable.

- Diesel gives you an unbelievably long tank range on the highway.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:59   #23
BHPian

Voted yes. But I cannot buy this car as no one in my family likes this car because of looks especially Laura. Rest if you analyse and take decision with your head it is a half price Audi means Audi A4 at 50 % discount.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:43   #24
Team-BHP Support

For me, its a NO

1: Build quality is inferior to my Jetta of a similar vintage
2: Gets a bit ropey, see the number of Jetta's with failing DRL's, they need a new headlight
3: Feels to light and lacks character

If it was a vRS, I would change my mind, that was a different beast
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 20:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. The Octavia is a solid product - Skoda's most important model globally. Reliability, I believe has been improving with every generation. Yes, the DSG is still not bulletproof, but I am prepared to take my chances and live with a fast shifting enthusiastic gear box + plus fiesty engine combo than opt for a boring and 'reliable' CVT + commuter engine kind of car.

Swap out the stock shocks for a set of Bilstiens with lowering springs, some nice wheels and fat tyres and a nice sounding exhaust and you have a really good, fun car that can be super practical well.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 3rd July 2020 at 20:04.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 20:38   #26
BHPian

Voted a BIG Yes! I wouldn’t even mind being a 3rd owner of a red hott vRS!! What a machine it is. This, is the best car one can get in the D-segment. I wasn’t quite a fan of the Jetta, ever. It was only the Octavia that I always fell for, and continue till date.
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:57   #27
BHPian

Voted Yes !

For me, this could now be an untimely question, I guess as I have already bitten the bullet. And am having in ownership of a pre-worshiped L & K 1.8 tsi, since last 6 months. Though most of this period, the car is being observed in Parking Mode, due to Covid 19 pandemic situation.

In fact, the 9.5 yrs of ownership of my Fabia TDI has encouraged me to go for a Skoda once again. I would any day prefer the top notch interior, tank like build quality and super safe handling of the Skoda over any other brand.

However, I've decided to opt for the 2 yrs extended warranty soon just to have some 'additional' peace of mind !
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would be going against the tide here as my default choice for the 3rd gen octy would be the 1.4 TSi( ideally it would be the vRS ) I have the following reasons-

1. The 2.0L TDi in the Jetta comes with the multi link suspension and that is going to be my default choice if I were considering a diesel.

2. The 1.8 TSi is an amazing engine but DQ200 + 1.8 TSi has always been a risky proposition.

3. Come to think of it the 1.4 TSi has adequate power, space and Comfort. One remap later you can have a blast.

4. Insurance premium will be much lesser.

5. Octy 1.4 TSi + MT doesn’t have major reliability issues unlike the jetta TSi.

It is available at the price of a used Honda City and cheaper than a Creta petrol in the pre-owned car market. Considering all these factors the 1.4 TSi makes a strong case.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 08:39   #29
BHPian

I would vote a YES...!

I've always loved the Octavia for its killer looks, interior quality and powerful engine options on the offer.
However I would stick to the 2.0TDI manual so as to be more sure about the reliability especially since it'll be a pre owned car. Delhi NCR region has multiple options that start from around 6.5L (without bargain) on Olx however finding a non abused vehicle becomes a tedious task since the dealers really have the potential to fool us if we're not careful.

Between... another sweet deal comes with a Jetta that offers almost the same quality BUT with a much lesser price tag(atleast in NCR) due to various reasons. So atleast I would definitely try to find out that best deal out of the two cars.
Old 4th July 2020, 08:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
-For a very odd reason I have come across a lot of 2013-2017 Octavias (the ones without split/quad headlamps) where the DRLs were 'leaking' light
Facing this exact issue currently. Have reported it to the SA. Hoping to get it replaced ASAP. The car is still under extended warranty.

In the pic below, the car is on and the RH side DRL glows fine!

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200701-9.31.01-am.png
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks