Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Octavia today?
Yes 507 72.22%
No 195 27.78%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2020, 21:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

I voted a NO here. If it's a Skoda, I would prefer to get a fresh piece of the assembly line. A used Skoda Octavia may seem like a lot saving at the outset but I wouldn't be assured that the previous owner has taken good care of the car. Still, if I was forced to select one - it would be a manual version if possible. Somehow I could never convince myself about their DSG gearboxes - even though countless people out there may never have faced any issues.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 00:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

A big no for DSG - DQ 200, there could be surprises rendering the car useless. I would not expose myself to VW DSG unless I have complete service history.

I may still go for the manual variants and may be even for the meaty vRS !
Old 5th July 2020, 04:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

DSG issues, expensive spares and woeful service. Voted no!
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 10:20   #49
BHPian

Yes.

In fact, I tried real hard to buy a used 1.8 TSI. But the used car prices in Hyderabad are atrocious. There were very few ones available and they were asking for 15 lakhs for 5 year old 40k km examples. Had they been willing to accept 12 lakhs, I'd have picked one up. The diesels, surprisingly, were available at 10 lakhs but I don't like the huge turbo lag that diesels have and my commute is short, which would stress the diesel engines.

So I took the next best option. I took a company car lease on a new 1.8 TSI. So instead of paying 30k as taxes per month and getting zilch in return, I added 60k per month to it for 3 years (plus around 5 lakhs residual value) and I got a new car to show for it. And my fuel, maintainece, driver salary, insurance, tyre changes are all tax free for 3 years.

As far as the DSG or other part failures are concerned, I'm covered for 6 years with warranty. After that, they will give goodwill warranty for the DSG. Since I won't be paying EMI then, if I have to pay upto 50% of my effective EMI (i.e. 30k/month = 3.6 lakh/ year) in parts, it'll still be way cheaper than buying another car, even a used one. I realistically don't expect to be paying more than 1 lakh/year in parts after 6 years. I'll be keeping it for a min of 10 years. And if things go well, 20 years. German cars age much better (mechanically) than others.
evil_grin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:47   #50
BHPian

Voted a big Yes.
We've owned our Octavia since November 2017. It's the tried and tested 2.0 TDI in the Manual guise.
The moment you extend your right foot there is bound to be a huge grin across your face.
And like GTO rightly pointed out the 2.0 TDI is remap ready. Can't wait till 2021.
The Octavia will go down in history for being the benchmark when it comes to driving pleasure and dynamics. It was, it is and will always be the best car this side of 50 lakhs and each generation becomes better and better.

Long live the Octavia.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20191126_114209_566.jpg  

Octy17 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 18:43   #51
BHPian

Am gonna sit this one out. Every time I look at a used Octavia, I cannot help looking at the other options around and getting confused. The car was a no-brainer if it was to be purchased new. But now, for just a little more you can get a used face lifted Superb with a choice of manual or auto, petrol or diesel with multilink standard. Depreciation hits the Superbs much harder than the Octavia allowing you to move a whole segment up. If increasing the budget is not an option, for almost the same price you get an Audi A4 1.8 or a BMW 320d if you search a little hard. If the badges scare you, then for a much lesser price you can get the Jetta diesel with enough change to spare for repairs. Then you realise the Superb is too large for the city and repairs can be expensive, Audi management is in doldrums, the BMW has lousy boot space, and the Jetta is no longer in production and has a lame petrol. Thus bringing you back to the Octavia where you choose between fun cost of reliability (1.8) or reliability at the cost of comfort (2.0), or peace of mind at the cost of fun and driveability (1.4, also in which case why not get an Altis?). Like I said too confusing for me.
Iyencar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 19:58   #52

Voted an Absolute YES. This is my dream car as of now(ever since I started reading up more on Skodas and Rapids and getting hooked on Nikhilb2008's Octavia vRS ownership thread). I would certainly love to pick up the TDI car. And for around 10lakhs ( If I get one for around that price in Bangalore/Mysore/Udupi area, I would go for it immediately!)
Old 6th July 2020, 09:22   #53
BHPian

It's a YES for me!
The older version was a massive and powerful car at that time and this car proves to be like his daddy. This is the car which I had mentioned as my favourite car in India in the 3rd question in the registration form. The FWD drive train is the only drawback I see in this car apart from scary Skoda stories. Get an extended warranty, and problem solved! This car is truly a legend like the Civic and the OHC city. This car is a real fuel guzzler as I have heard, but those who care for FE would not even buy this car. This car has a high mod potential and almost every Octavia vRS bought is remapped with Pete's or Code6. Once a little bit modified, this car can see upwards of 240 km/h (Correct me if I'm wrong). I wish they had a manual option too. The DSG is prone to failures and can cause a real headache both price wise, and Skoda ASS wise. Make it a RWD and add a manual option too, and this would be a very good sports car to buy in India. If you want a similar DNA kind of car below 10 lakhs, the Punto Abarth is a very good option and also has a 6-speed manual.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:24   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No. Pre-owned Octavias, at least in Chennai, are expensive. A 2014 1.8TSI model with 50+K on the Odo goes for nearly 10 lakhs. Compare that to a W204 Mercedes C200 CGI from the same vintage, that seems to go for around 11-12 lakhs often with much lower mileage. C200 is a more powerful car, more luxuriously built, pretty reliable has much better badge value. Although the back seat of the C is not as spacious, it is more comfortable than almost any sedan in the category with perfect contouring, back-res angle etc. Alternatively a similar vintage of the Jetta Highline TDI DSG is available for a lower price, around 8-9 lakhs. The Jetta is much better built and more solid a car.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 6th July 2020 at 10:26.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 11:49   #55
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES.

But I would strictly restrict myself to a car known to me and a Diesel MT only.

Diesel Octavias through dealers have huge numbers on the ODO or too little mileage to be believed.
Old 6th July 2020, 16:04   #56

Voted No. I just hate the low slung position, whatever may be the car. I hate driving such a car or even travelling in it.
shanoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 17:43   #57

Voted Yes!
My office Managing Director had the Octavia TDI 2.0 DSG 2016 model, which had done around 50k kms. A new Skoda Superb was purchased, so the Octavia was to be sold and was first asked to the employees. Looks, acres of space, solid build quality, engine + DSG and the mouthwatering asking price made me almost lock the decision of buying it. However, after getting to know about the issues with service centres and reliability issues, slowly decided to back off. If there is an improvement on the negatives in future, it would be a big yes!
Old 8th July 2020, 15:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The wheels look really good on your car. What size are those? What tyre size are you using? Which brand wheels are those?
Old 8th July 2020, 16:38   #59
BHPian

Voted NO! Just because I already have 2. Both are 2.0 TDI, one is manual while one is AT.

After using them for about 4 years now (primarily the AT) and 100k kms +, I have noticed that the engine isn't as smooth as it was when new. The clatter and noise are a bit more pronounced.

Add to that the reliability issues especially because of the service centres, I would strongly advice my fellow bhpians to purchase a used octavia if and only if it is under warranty and has lesser than 50k kms.

Though our cars are still going strong - I am not really happy how they've started detoriating off late. Our Laura was much better made and lasted with us for almost 185K kms.
samyakmodi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 20:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavabeer View Post
The wheels look really good on your car. What size are those? What tyre size are you using? Which brand wheels are those?
Thank you. These are 17inch TSW wheels shod on Michelin PS4’s.

Most Viewed