Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Octavia today?
Yes 507 72.22%
No 195 27.78%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 08:37   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Congrats on your Octavia. I find myself admiring it whenever I spot one, the design is truly timeless. And the explosive 1.8 TSI coupled with the fast, smooth and unreliable DSG will ensure that you have a grin stretching from ear to ear! All the best, hope your new acquisition provides you with tons of driving pleasure.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review : Getting hooked to the TSI's; Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI 2017 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Yes, definitely. I can imagine how much more difficult it is going to get for us to replace our Octavia. The wheels are 17” Momo Quantum’s.

Haha yes. Couldn’t agree more. The list will be out soon enough. There are quite a few interesting things in the pipeline. I’m driving down to Pune tomorrow to get them installed by NSquareAutoTech.
Its really really difficult to upgrade Jetta and I found XUV as a good upgrade. I sat on my booking for 4 months but the delivery timeline of Sep 2023 was kind of difficult. Finally looking at some good discounts running on Octavia 2021 Style AT, I took the plunge and got her home. The new Octavia interiors are way better than Jetta and Skoda has addressed the DQ200 issue by replacing it with DQ381 and giving a 2.0 TSI motor in MK4 avatar of Octavia. The car even though is overpriced, post discounts, it now looks VFM!!
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 15:53   #93

Congratulations on your new car sarfraz.
Hope you enjoy it,I too like the sofastcated looks of the Octavia and find myself admiring it whenever I see it on the roads,
As it is a dsg car i was wondering if you have any plans for dsg failures,and also as it is a pre-worshipped car did it have any dsg issues.
Overall i hope you don't have any issues
Shank0447 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 16:56   #94
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car Sarfraz. I am waiting to see mods and tweaks you will be applying on this car too.
durvient is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 01:01   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Its really really difficult to upgrade Jetta and I found XUV as a good upgrade. I sat on my booking for 4 months but the delivery timeline of Sep 2023 was kind of difficult. Finally looking at some good discounts running on Octavia 2021 Style AT, I took the plunge and got her home. The new Octavia interiors are way better than Jetta and Skoda has addressed the DQ200 issue by replacing it with DQ381 and giving a 2.0 TSI motor in MK4 avatar of Octavia. The car even though is overpriced, post discounts, it now looks VFM!!
Given the current car prices and market, the Mk4 Octavia IMO is a very good VFM proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shank0447 View Post
Congratulations on your new car sarfraz.
Hope you enjoy it,I too like the sofastcated looks of the Octavia and find myself admiring it whenever I see it on the roads,
As it is a dsg car i was wondering if you have any plans for dsg failures,and also as it is a pre-worshipped car did it have any dsg issues.
Overall i hope you don't have any issues
Hey, thanks. I’ve had DSG cars for quite some time now, while I have not had any issues so far (touchwood), we are prepared for one on each car for how good these cars otherwise are. Also, IMO, there are certain things to help lengthen the life of this gearbox or it’s components by following few simple and safe practices, or by not driving aggressively (fast and aggressive are two different things). My car was at 11-12m kms on the odo when I got it, the gearbox is almost as good as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durvient View Post
Congratulations on your new car Sarfraz. I am waiting to see mods and tweaks you will be applying on this car too.
Hey, thanks a lot. Will definitely share updates here on TeamBHP once I’m done. They are already in progress.
Old 7th June 2022, 02:29   #96
BHPian

Congratulations bud, the TSI pulls never get old. Look after her and she looks after you. Got a 2015 1.8. You’ll love this car. Wishing you many happy miles.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 09:14   #97
BHPian

Welcome to the petrol club! You'll absolutely love it on the highway and in the city!
Old 7th June 2022, 15:35   #98

Re: Ownership Review : Getting hooked to the TSI's; Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI 2017 Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post

Congratulations on your new Octavia !

I'm eyeing for a good deal on Octavia (MY 21/22) but couldn't land on a common ground with the dealership. All I can grab is 35000 as loyalty bonus.

Current chip shortage have made it too difficult.

What was the waiting period? Would you mind sharing the details of the dealership and the deal on a PM?

-Raja
Old 7th June 2022, 21:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Just for reference, my friend in Bangalore sold his 3rd Gen Octavia, Petrol, L&K variant for 18 lakhs. He sold it to one of the Mercedes Benz dealers in Bangalore. The car had less than 30k on the ODO, and was quite well maintained with absolutely no known issues.

I was actually quite surprised by the final price offered by the dealer since most websites had quoted a bit lower and usually the car dealers quote even lower than the normal market value And I’m sure the Mercedes Benz dealer wasn’t offering any exchange discounts etc since my friend has booked the new C class and I’m sure there are absolutely no discounts on such a brand new model.
Old 12th June 2022, 21:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:

TSI Addiction

Lets say I checked the car on Day 1, I paid the advance on Day 2, and got her home on Day 3.
Congratulations on the Octy! Would like to see more pictures of her please. I had recently (May 26th, to be precise) got home a 2018 model Octavia L&K 2.0 TDI DSG as a replacement for the Civic.
Old 12th June 2022, 22:01   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post
Congratulations on the Octy! Would like to see more pictures of her please. I had recently (May 26th, to be precise) got home a 2018 model Octavia L&K 2.0 TDI DSG as a replacement for the Civic.
Thank you, Congratulations to you too!

I would be adding a lot more in a few days.

Would love to see your car too!
Old 12th June 2022, 22:46   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Congratulations to you too!

I would be adding a lot more in a few days.

Would love to see your car too!
Thank you! Haven't clicked good pictures yet. These are some random ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_e23321.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_e23631.jpg  

Old 10th July 2022, 14:44   #103
BHPian

Should I buy a used 2016 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Automatic?

Hello fellow forum members. I am happy to be a part of this awesome auto community and look at you for advice.

My current car is a 2011 Chevrolet spark LT. I have done 72000 Kms in the car till date and except for a ruptured power steering hose, the engine bay has never been a problem. The body has been a different story and I am entirely to blame for it. As it was my and my dad's first car, there were a fair bit of scrapings and mishaps, bird droppings which werent taken care of on time and so on. Also I live on the sea shore so rusting is a big problem. The roof of the car has started to leak from the roof rails.

I have also advanced in life both career wise and family wise. Needless to say that boot of the spark is supremely inadequate for me now. I mitigated it by getting a roof rack but after all, it is a spark and there is so much luggage that it can carry without it being bogged down.

Coming to my requirement, I am looking to upgrade to a car which meets the following requirements as far as possible.
1. Preferably 8-9 lakhs. Although I can manage a bigger budget, I want to upgrade to proper EV down the line (5 years). Currently things stopping me from directly to My employer does not allow EV into their premises and the charging infrastructure is bad in gujarat. So why spend more now only to take big depreciation hit after 5 years.
2. Should have a HUGE boot. 500 litres minimum. I do not go on long car drives a lot. But when I do, my family does not pack frugally.
3. Should seat 5 comfortably.
4. Should be atleast 4 star NCAP rating.
5. Should be sufficiently powerful for 5 members and luggage. I find myself constantly working gears in my spark when fully loaded.

The Ciaz comes closest to my requirement but the ciaz, which feels a bit underpowered.

I realized that due to my budget and my requirements, a used car will suit me the best. More features and an affordable price. I also went through the team-bhp why a used car thread and I fully agree with the views expressed in that thread. As a homework I did a new vs used car cost of ownership comparison and what I found was that the money on the new car goes towards the loan and the money on a used car goes towards maintenance. At the end of 5 years, the cost is almost the same.

My search lead me to a used Skoda octavia, 2016, 2.0 TDI, Automatic. The car has been driven 1.27 Lakh Kms. It has always been serviced at Skoda service centres and has an impeccable service record. The car was first leased to Airbus which was then sold to the current user who now wants to sell it as he has multiple cars and now longer wants it. The car was last serviced in march 2021 at 1.15 lakh kms. During the last service the timing kit was changed along with DSG oil.

Coming to the condition of the car, the car has a few scratches all around the body, but the only big one is the dent on the passenger side floor board. The car runs great with no squeaks or rattles and O boy the performance! Driving that car, I realized how miserable i was chaging gears to reach a 100 on highways!

I got the car assessed at skoda service and there were a few surprises which I did not realize during my first test ride. The list of repairs recommended by Skoda are
1. Full service - 13k
2. Airbag control module - 58K (Airbag error on dashboard)
3. Air condition mode control unit - 12K
4. Insurance - 24K
5. Labour cost - 50K
6. The suspension soft parts are worn but should last for another 20K kms.

The tyres are good for another 20K and the battery was replaced in 2021.
The asking price is 9L.

My question to this community are:
1. Is it worth buying this car if I can get it down to 8 Lakhs?
2. Will this car be reliable for next five years? I mean no breakdowns on the road.
3. I have assumed 50k per year for repairs and Insurance. Will that be enough?
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:28   #104
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used 2016 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Automatic?

This example that you have found seems to have too high a mileage for honestly anyone to safely recommend a DSG car, the asking price too seems to be a little bit too optimistic.
With all those repairs in tow(~1.5L), I'd skip this car and look for other example no matter how well it drives. Alternatively, I think you should consider getting a Honda City CVT instead, I just did a search and found a couple in Rajkot within your budget.

If you're okay with expanding your kitty a bit, you could even find a MS XL6, which I think is a brilliant car and 5 years later when you want to sell it, will reward you with excellent resale too.
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:55   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used 2016 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Automatic?

Apart from the merits of the car and the iffy DSG, I think your calculations need to be relooked at: the service cost is too high.

Also not to reduce IDV in the insurance component.

If the car is good, and the price is Goood, then why not ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed