Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Octavia today?
Yes 508 72.26%
No 195 27.74%
Voters: 703. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 20:00   #106
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used 2016 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
This example that you have found seems to have too high a mileage for honestly anyone to safely recommend a DSG car, the asking price too seems to be a little bit too optimistic.
With all those repairs in tow(~1.5L), I'd skip this car and look for other example no matter how well it drives. Alternatively, I think you should consider getting a Honda City CVT instead, I just did a search and found a couple in Rajkot within your budget.

If you're okay with expanding your kitty a bit, you could even find a MS XL6, which I think is a brilliant car and 5 years later when you want to sell it, will reward you with excellent resale too.
I drove the Ertiga Diesel manual and the power is just ok. Overtakes did require me dropping the car to 4th gear. Also 3 star rating. The boot space is there if I drop down the 3rd row so it is a trade off. So I feel Ciaz is a better choice. 4 star rating and a better boot. But still, the power

I am yet to drive the Honda City CVT but the reviews say that the CVT lets it down on Highways. I will take a test drive though.

Isn't the 7 speed DQ200 the problematic DSG? from what I have read on the forum, the 6 speed DQ250 is reliable compared to the DQ200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Apart from the merits of the car and the iffy DSG, I think your calculations need to be relooked at: the service cost is too high.

Also not to reduce IDV in the insurance component.

If the car is good, and the price is Goood, then why not ?
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that 50K per year that I have assumed I will have to spend on the Octavia is too much? Do you recommed reducing IDV of octavia or not?
Old 10th July 2022, 21:58   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that 50K per year that I have assumed I will have to spend on the Octavia is too much? Do you recommed reducing IDV of octavia or not?
Suggest review the threads on Octavia for maintenance costs, and speak to owners. Reducing IDV is being penny-wise-pound-foolish.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:57   #108
BHPian

I suggest you can look for a better pre worshipped car. Considering the high mileage that this car has been subjected to and the high repair cost associated with this car are a cause of concern. Look for cars that are genuinely run less than 50k Kms. If at all you decide to opt for this particular car please get it checked by an expert and then proceed.

Last edited by Gypsian : 10th July 2022 at 23:59.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 07:40   #109

Please look elsewhere, the car has quite a few repairs and the cost of maintenance is only going to go up. Quite soon you'd be hit with injector repairs, each piece costs > 23k, there's four of them. Diesel high pressure pump could also wear which is around 90k. Add to that is the infamous DSG, though it is not the DQ200, they are fragile and will likely fail.

This is a money pit, it'll look and drive luxurious but it'll drain you.
I've had injector problems with their TDI engines, both with Jetta and Vento, so I'd say confidently that this is at the end of its life.

You'd have to pump another 4L~5L to revive it in the first two to three years itself. I'd be very careful of this devious deal.
Old 11th July 2022, 07:58   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
I suggest you can look for a better pre worshipped car. Considering the high mileage that this car has been subjected to and the high repair cost associated with this car are a cause of concern. Look for cars that are genuinely run less than 50k Kms. If at all you decide to opt for this particular car please get it checked by an expert and then proceed.
Thats the problem. Less milage cars are hard to find which are asking for reasonable amount. Also most of them are with auto dealers who can manipulate the milage. Only way to find out the actual milage is via ECU calculated range which requires VCDS and cable which I do not have.
Old 11th July 2022, 07:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Try the Honda City 4th gen manual its comfortable for a family has a huge boot and a gem of an engine. Who said CVT is found wanting on the highways? I have one and have just done a trip to Chennai-Kodai-Chennai (1000kms round trip) and it's great on highways and ghats.
Durango Dude is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 08:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Thats the problem. Less milage cars are hard to find which are asking for reasonable amount. Also most of them are with auto dealers who can manipulate the milage. Only way to find out the actual milage is via ECU calculated range which requires VCDS and cable which I do not have.
You can obtain services of the personnel who possess the required device , cable etc. I am sure there are such services offered somewhere around.
This thread may help you :-
https://https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/132122-how-detect-odometer-fraud.html (How to detect *Odometer Fraud*)
Gypsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:01   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Octavia TDI is a reliable car, you won’t have many surprises in maintenance. Having said that 1.27 lakhs is high mileage and there are possibilities of many parts change, which might be costly. So if the car is good and you can try to get the price down further, you should go for it. Suggest to keep 2 lakhs as reserve for any repair considering the kms run.
Considering the constraint on budget, as much as I love Octavia, my suggestion would still be to go with a low run Honda City. But the challenge is after driving Octavia and having your heart on this one, there is no way a City CVT or manual is going to satisfy you, even remotely.

Last edited by sunikkat : 11th July 2022 at 10:03.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:24   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Octavia TDI is a reliable car, you won’t have many surprises in maintenance. Having said that 1.27 lakhs is high mileage and there are possibilities of many parts change, which might be costly. So if the car is good and you can try to get the price down further, you should go for it. Suggest to keep 2 lakhs as reserve for any repair considering the kms run.
Considering the constraint on budget, as much as I love Octavia, my suggestion would still be to go with a low run Honda City. But the challenge is after driving Octavia and having your heart on this one, there is no way a City CVT or manual is going to satisfy you, even remotely.
Exactly. The power is addictive.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 16:42   #115
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Looking at the mileage it is out of my comfort zone. If I am buying used I would not look at anything more than 40k kms on the odometer. Recently got a Hexa pre-owned which was driven 21.5k kms in 3.5 years.

Further the likes of Octavia and other Germans are extremely complex for regular FNGs apart from being super heavy on the pocket in the latter stages.
Old 13th July 2022, 15:50   #116
BHPian

I feel the jump from a Beat to Octavia, more specifically from a budget-friendly car to an old, low FE and high maintenance car could prove a little too much for you in a couple of years. I understand the pull of the Octavia but then you just have to be mentally prepared for all sorts of expenses and possible breakdowns coming your way.

Also, you just can't compare a new Ertiga with a 1.25 km driven Octavia just in the financial sense. The peace of mind you will get with a new well-proven car is just immeasurable. I also cannot digest the fact that at one end you are looking at MS cars like Ertiga or Ciaz and then looking at a heavily used German car. These are poles apart in every sense according to me.

I would recommend you look out for a used Hyundai Elantra. You will get decent power and much better reliability as compared to the Skoda. Or look around for a <50k km run german sedan.
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 18:29   #117
BHPian

For almost a million rupee budget, why do you want to own someone else's 1.2 lac km run headache? Get a new car if you are surely going to use it for 5 years. The EV scene is still at a very nascent stage, I would say.

Whatever calculations say, a new car would be a new car. One breakdown of a used car and the trust in the car takes a hit and you would always have a lingering thought before taking it out on the highway. Especially when family is in toe.

In your place, I would surely go for a new car.
Old 13th July 2022, 21:19   #118
BHPian

Its no comparison no matter what (financially or emotionally) between a new MS Ertiga and a 2016 1.2lakh km done used Octavia. The Ertiga WILL be better in terms of everything except for the driving pleasure. And this being that naughty Octavia, reliability, maintenance and cost to upkeep WILL be a nightmare for you. It is definitely a ticking time-bomb. Period.
So pass this particular Octavia. Look-out for something less driven or totally a different car if you've decided to go the used car route.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:23   #119
BHPian

Quote:
2. Should have a HUGE boot. 500 litres minimum. I do not go on long car drives a lot. But when I do, my family does not pack frugally.
3. Should seat 5 comfortably.
4. Should be atleast 4 star NCAP rating.
5. Should be sufficiently powerful for 5 members and luggage. I find myself constantly working gears in my spark when fully loaded.
As an octavia owner, i will say that the octavia does not seat 5 comfortably. Unless the rear is to seat kids, its a strict 4 seater especially for the long family trips that you’re planning. So i also suggest that you do a TD with your family on board and see if the middle passenger is comfortable.
I would also ask you to look outside the skoda ASC and ascertain the works required for the car and the costs. I’m sure they will be much lesser than what’s quoted by Skoda. I will recommend this car only if you can find a good FNG in your area.
robby0707 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 22:39   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Try the Honda City 4th gen manual its comfortable for a family has a huge boot and a gem of an engine. Who said CVT is found wanting on the highways? I have one and have just done a trip to Chennai-Kodai-Chennai (1000kms round trip) and it's great on highways and ghats.
Off topic, depends on what you want. CVT is really bad if you are quick on the a pedal. If it’s just about cruising at a constant speed and not overtaking trucks and buses as you wish, CVT is a great choice. I tried the CVT twice and as as an owner used to driving scross 1.6 , octavia tdi and the tucson diesel, i cannot absolutely drive a city cvt. It just increases my BP levels
robby0707 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks