Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:40   #31
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

So this is semi automatic system, I would say as you would still have to use gears manually. It would be interesting to see how it performs. I am not sure why they want to introduce it when one has fully automatic systems available. Is it just to give more control to the driver or this is just another marketing gimmick to attract buyers with fancy names.

As mentioned by AdityaDeane, this sounds similar to AUTO-Clutch by Automate India. This is Pune based company. I know the owner. In fact, I had installed this on my manual Honda City IVTEC in 2014 or so. I used it for 6 months or so. I found it to be quite good. However, its not a fun to drive. It only adds to the convenience of not having to press the clutch. Since I was going out of India, I sold the car. I removed the AUTO CLUTCH system and sold it back to Automate as they do have customers which look for used system. The current price of the system is somewhere around 39000.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd July 2020 at 19:46. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
daredevil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:46   #32
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

I use an AMT on the Brezza and NEVER use the automatic mode.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does the IMT downshift on its own? The automatic downshifts are super convenient to me.
evoker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 20:47   #33

This is quite an interesting technology, another interesting fact is that it is going to be sold alongside the MT & DCT.

I tried to simplify & explain this technology

Find the article on this link -

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hyund...s-tirth-pandya

I feel there is a possibility of premature wearing of Clutch, we should wait for atleast one year to see how reliable this iMT tech is.
AlphaPetrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:06   #34
BHPian

This so called iMT by Hyundai seems to be inspired from NSU Ro80 of early 1970s where one used to shift gears in a similar fashion to iMT.
These types of gimmicks is expected from chinese companies or our own even MUL but Hyundai I never expected.
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:33   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has the record for the most number of transmissions on offer. They have a 5 speed manual(Santro, i10, Nios, i20, Venue), a 6 speed manual(with all the turbo petrols and the diesels + Elantra), a 5 speed AMT(Santro), a 7 speed DCT(Venue, Creta, Verna), a 6 speed torque converter (Creta, Verna, Santa Fe, Tucson, Elantra) and a CVT(Creta, i20). Add to it this new clutchless manual. This is quite a record, and must get difficult to manage with so many variants and combinations.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd July 2020 at 21:37.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

So what happens in this system if someone shifts to fourth gear, stops the car and does not downshift? If he wants to start again in the same gear will the clutch be slipped severely or will the clutch refuse to disengage?
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am not done hating AMT yet and we have a new contraption! What is wrong with car makers these days? Why are they peddling weird things? Give us a proper AT or proper age-old MT. Why this?. I want to see this flop. If it succeeds, I can't bear to see this on every other car. Please God, grant me this wish!
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

So this is like Ferrari's Valeo Transmission? Was an option in the some of their models, particularly the Mondial. Notice missing clutch.

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-194db101a11d439881bb13ac91ad8ac0.jpeg
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:31   #39
BHPian

I don't know how successful this might be but for stop and go city traffic this serves as an alternate option to those who can't afford to pay the premium for proper automatics and can't live with the lower fuel efficiency figures. Also this can provide similar acceleration figures as manual I think so thats another added advantage.

Even though I agree it would take time to get used to it since our mind and body are trained for pressing the clutch while changing gears but just like every other thing we get so used to easily maybe even this becomes a thing of the past.
Old 3rd July 2020, 22:44   #40
BHPian

I'm so confused. I take driving different cars smoothly as a challenge and can change between auto/ manual 10 times a day but I'll keep my hands off this one.

Scenario 1: Go faster
1. MT: foot off the accelerator> clutch in> blip throttle (optional but smooooth)>gear down> clutch out> foot on the accelerator
2. AT accelerator!
3. Venue: foot off the accelerator or on? Blip throttle while changing the gear or no?

Scenario 2: slow down
1.MT: foot off the accelerator> brake> clutch in > gear down> clutch out> brake> clutch in > gear down> clutch out ...
2. AT: brake!
3. Venue: brake without shifting down? brake in neutral? If the brake light will cause the clutch to engage, and no engine braking, then RIP brakepads?

Aren't we all wired to look for a clutch when we use an H shifter? Tip tronic / +- is quite intuitive.

Am I the only who likes touching the manual gear lever when I anticipate a shift?
Let's be honest, most of us rest our hand a fair bit on the gear stick in an MT.

In the venue a slight touch on the gearstick will cause the clutch to go in and engine to over rev while accelerating

I thought the jerky AMT was the poorest gearbox to ever be made but I stand corrected.

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 3rd July 2020 at 22:46.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:09   #41
BHPian

This indeed is an interesting transmission system offered by Hyundai ( and later on from Kia). I saw that most opinions are not in favor of the IMT, but I think thus woukd be a promising technology.

I am currently using a Celerio AMT, and I really don't remember the last time I drove it in the Automatic mode. Once the vehicle starts moving in "D" mode (Automatic), I slot it to the Manual mode and shift the gears manually. I was initially very irritated with the AMT shifts in Auto mode and the gear shifts were very annoying, which ruined the overall driving experience. But once I got the hang of Manual shifting without Clutch, the drive has become much more enjoyable.

I think many people who are driving AMTs can relate to this scenario. The manual shifting in AMT was even more awesome when I rented a Swift Petrol Automatic for a small trip recently, the shifts were spot on and the driving was much more sporty.

This IMT clutch less system makes the perfect sense for me, because I have been utilising only the Auto Clutch feature in my AMT and the auto gear shift was totally useless. In fact a couple of people who have travelled with me in my car have asked me what was the need of buying an Automatic car , if my intention was to drive in Manual mode.

I was actually planning an upgrade to a Swift AMT, but this new IMT technology looks much more promising and I think this will be the perfect upgrade for AMT users like me who prefer driving in manual mode. I just hope that the gear shifting would be a straight shift like in current AMT models rather than an "H" pattern.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th July 2020 at 05:51. Reason: Spacing out your post.
stormdRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 05:15   #42
BHPian

Going against the tide, my AMT in Nexon isn’t half bad. However I had a horrible time of it in the Brezza. I think low end torque plays an important role here. Also I would like the convenience of not worrying about gear changes in B2B traffic. Just removing a clutch alone may not be enough. Also curious what happens if I have a habit of touching gear lever now and then. Does the car engage the clutch already ?
Old 4th July 2020, 05:53   #43

I think this is an another example of market demand bringing in weird features. Like a continuously variable transmission having fixed ratios to shift into.
Hyundai may have done a survey and found that most amt users use manual mode and prefer to shift themselves due to habit and only appreciate not messing with clutch in B2B traffic. These people after learning in a manual car would not be liking the +/- manual control of conventional auto and would have liked the old way of shifting gears. This is all my speculation though.

I think what automakers should have done initially while bringing the AMT is not to go after the regular auto shift lever with DNPR and instead put on an A slot in the manual shifter for auto mode. Our Indian buyers may be familiar with that instead.

Anyways the clutchless MT feels like a redundant thing for us petrol (Diesel) heads in the forum but the average joe may indeed be interested in that. (Hyundai should have done the research.) I still think they should have put in the regular amt with regular gear shift with an A slot instead rather than go after an altogether new transmission. What do I know?

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2020 at 12:53. Reason: typo
Bagheera is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th July 2020, 08:31   #44
BHPian

Many have mentioned the Hero Honda Street which came out in the late 90s, but couldn't find a foothold.

A decade later, TVS launched the Jive with a similar clutchless manual gearbox:
Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-tvs-jive-003.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ip-report.html (TVS Jive - First Ownership Report)

I don't see a set of buyers who are looking for this combo. There are many automatic options available today - TC, DSG, CVT. For the budget conscious, there's the AMT. I'm predicting a similar outcome as the Street/Jive.
Old 4th July 2020, 09:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Trust Hyundai to have done enough testing before putting this press release. It is not like a random tweet from the CEO of a certain electric car company.

Three questions:
1. How much $$$ does a person save with respect to the AT and potential AMT?
2. How will people handle situations like parking, inching forward in traffic, etc where clutch slip is required?
3. Will this mess with the muscle memory of drivers? I can drive an AT or MT, but not sure I'd even accept such a thing.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks