Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

Mod Note: Our Hyundai Venue iMT Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Hyundai Venue to get clutchless manual transmission in July 2020.

The intelligent manual transmission (iMT) aims to combine the strengths of manual and automatic gearboxes.

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-hyundaivenueimtintelligentmanualtransmission.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai Venue will debut the iMT technology in India
iMT will automate clutch operation though driver is to manually change gears
Kia Sonet to come with iMT system in coming months

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2020 at 11:04. Reason: Adding link to review
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue to get "clutchless" manual transmission (iMT)

Hyundai Venue will be the 1st Car in India to get Clutchless Manual Transmission in July 2020

Quote:
Hyundai has announced that it will soon be introducing a new transmission technology to the Venue compact SUV. Dubbed as an intelligent manual transmission (iMT), the gearbox will be introduced with the 120hp, 1.0-litre, direct-injection, turbo-petrol engine later this month. Hyundai promises the ‘first-in-industry’ gearbox technology to combine the strengths of manual and automatic transmissions.
The intelligent manual transmission (iMT) aims to combine the strengths of manual and automatic gearboxes.

What is intelligent manual transmission (iMT)?

You can think of this ‘two-pedal, clutch-less system’ as a hybrid of manual and automatic gearboxes. The task of shifting gears rests with the driver, as with a conventional manual gearbox, though the iMT does away with the need of a clutch pedal altogether by essentially automating its functionality.

Hyundai says that the technology uses an ‘intention sensor’ with the gear lever that informs a transmission control unit (TCU) when the driver is about to change gears. The TCU then signals a hydraulic actuator to engage and disengage the clutch plate while the driver shifts gears.

What are the benefits of intelligent manual transmission (iMT)?

The two-pedal system essentially eliminates the need to manually operate a clutch pedal, which should relieve the stress of driving in start-stop city traffic. However, it aims to retain the joy of driving generally associated with a conventional gearbox by allowing the driver to manually slot in gears. Hyundai also states that iMT will enhance convenience “without compromising on fuel efficiency and performance” like a torque-converter automatic transmission.

The Venue currently offers a 6-speed manual and 7-speed DCT auto ‘box with the 1.0 GDI turbo-petrol engine. With a launch lined-up for later in July, Hyundai will essentially beat its sister company Kia at bringing the unique iMT technology to the Indian market. Kia had earlier announced at the Auto Expo that its upcoming Venue fighter – the production version of the Sonet compact SUV – will also debut with an iMT gearbox.
  • Hyundai Venue will debut the iMT technology in India
  • iMT will automate clutch operation though driver is to manually change gears
  • Kia Sonet to come with iMT system in coming months

Source

Last edited by CarguyNish : 3rd July 2020 at 13:50.
CarguyNish is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue to get "clutchless" manual transmission (iMT)

iMT - Looks like another decorated acronym of AMT, or did I miss anything? Are they giving up the DCT?
jetsetgo08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Came across this article a few days ago. It would require a major shift in our mentalities, along with practice to get used to this kind of gear shifting. Definitely useful for city slickers. But as a purist, I shun this

Edit- @jetsetgo08 think of shifting gears in your manual car without a clutch. Yep, that’s it.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 3rd July 2020 at 13:57.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

As a concept nothing new under the sun. There have been cars designated as clutches manual cars before. The RO80 springs to mind.

When I was in my early teens, even busses had the same system.

There are several other cars as well, but it never caught on really. We will see if the public takes a liking to this

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I frankly think this sort of tech is neither here nor there. It doesn't offer precise control over the clutch like a traditional manual gearbox for a purist and nor does it eliminate the odd job of rowing through the gears and selecting the right one for the lazy city slicker who isn't remotely interested in selecting gears (which is what an automatic in today's age is expected to do).

I am also apprehensive as to how the system will handle the clutch and how it would react in peak city traffic. Have heard of numerous AMTs wearing their clutch plates out prematurely as well in peak traffic. Another area of concern is how the gearbox will react when the clutch starts to wear out. Coupled with the fact that this will demand a change in driving style for sure ( a lot more than any automatic gearbox demands IMO) and I think this is a rather forgettable piece of tech.

Last edited by vishy76 : 3rd July 2020 at 14:03.
vishy76 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:10   #7
BHPian

Is this the same system developed by Bosch (E-Clutch)?

We had a thread on that here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ic-clutch.html (Bosch develops new electronic clutch)

Bosch had shown a prototype fitted on a Honda Brio at it's Bengaluru test facility (the link to the video can be found in the above-mentioned thread) if I remember correctly and was targeting a 2016 release in the Indian market - the Tata Tiago was rumoured to launch with this clutch system (which turned out to be false)
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As a concept nothing new under the sun. There have been cars designated as clutches manual cars before. The RO80 springs to mind.

There are several other cars as well, but it never caught on really. We will see if the public takes a liking to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I frankly think this sort of tech is neither here nor there. It doesn't offer precise control over the clutch like a traditional manual gearbox for a purist and nor does it eliminate the odd job of rowing through the gears and selecting the right one for the lazy city slicker who isn't remotely interested in selecting gears (which is what an automatic in today's age is expected to do).
Yes, the gearbox has been around for ages and as Vishy mentioned, it is neither here nor there. Saab had this Sensonic gearbox on some of its cars and it did the exact same thing as this iMT transmission.

Top Gear even nominated it for the 'Worst Car in the World' and demonstrated why this gearbox wont work in certain circumstances, like an uphil reverse parking.

Take a look at this video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4pn0jh

Let us see how it is in the Venue and how Hyundai-Kia has tuned it though.

Last edited by ChiragM : 3rd July 2020 at 14:26.
ChiragM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT

Hyundai will be introducing a 6-speed intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) on the Venue sub-4 meter SUV. It will be launched later this month.

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-hyundai-imt-1.0-l-tgdi-engine.jpg

The 6-speed iMT uses a Transmission Gear Shift (TGS) Lever with Intention Sensor, Hydraulic Actuator and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). The system enables the driver to seamlessly shift gears without the need to mechanically operate a clutch pedal.

Hyundai's 6-speed iMT is unlike traditional automated manual transmissions (AMTs), where the gearshifts are automated. In the case of the iMT, the driver has to operate the gearbox manually, while the function of the clutch is automated.

The new 6-speed iMT will be available as an option with the 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine. This engine produces 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm @ 1,500-4,000 rpm. At present, this engine is available with either a 6-speed manual or a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

I guess this will be the same clutch-less manual transmission which will come with the Kia Sonet as well. This is a very intriguing concept and I would be interested to see how it work in the real world. For instance, how well it will tackle bumper to bumper traffic, or steep slopes which require clutch modulation and other such situations where the clutch plays a very integral part of our every day driving experience.

For many of us manual transmission lovers, the clutch and gear-shifting routine is what makes an MT so enjoyable. I wonder if this aspect will be retained in new age IMT transmissions like these.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 3rd July 2020 at 14:43.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:59   #11
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

Not sure how good this transmission would be, but there is a talk that the DCT option will be removed from Venue to make way for iMT. This could mean that the next gen i20 also wouldn't get the DCT and only iMT. The DCT would be available only with Verna, Seltos and Creta. This news isn't 100% confirmed, but comes from a close source of mine.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:01   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai will be introducing a 6-speed intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) on the Venue sub-4 meter SUV. It will be launched later this month.Hyundai's 6-speed iMT is unlike traditional automated manual transmissions (AMTs), where the gearshifts are automated. In the case of the iMT, the driver has to operate the gearbox manually, while the function of the clutch is automated.
What was the need for trying to reinvent the wheel? Those used to manual cars will find it odd to shift only the gears and those used to automatics wouldn’t care! What are they trying to achieve by this? It’s not that they haven’t got automatic gear boxes. Very unlikely to succeed I feel, but I’m interested in a test drive in a controlled atmosphere
The Rationalist is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai's 6-speed iMT is unlike traditional automated manual transmissions (AMTs), where the gearshifts are automated. In the case of the iMT, the driver has to operate the gearbox manually, while the function of the clutch is automated.
I think this is old wine in a new bottle. Almost all the current AMTs have a 'manual mode' and this is exactly how it works. In fact, I find it convenient to drive my Alto AMT in manual mode because it is the best of both worlds - You still have the gear shift in your control and you don't have the hassle of pressing the clutch.

So this seems to be an AMT without the automatic gear changes, marketed as iMT.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 3rd July 2020 at 15:31.
Added_flavor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 6-speed iMT uses a Transmission Gear Shift (TGS) Lever with Intention Sensor, Hydraulic Actuator and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). The system enables the driver to seamlessly shift gears without the need to mechanically operate a clutch pedal.
Seems like a concept already used by AUTO-Clutch by Automate India (website:- http://automateindia.in/products/auto-clutch/). It also makes using the Clutch redundant and using a sensor on the gear stick to help switch between gears.

If people will accept this, maybe they will start accepting AUTO-Clutch also in their regular MT cars for the additional cost and convenience. As far as I remember, it costs around Rs.45000 to install this system on an existing MT car.

So, I am expecting a similar price bump over MT cars on the Venue models launched with iMT transmission, maybe a few grand more for added Warranty benefits etc.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:14   #15
BHPian

Wondering if the technology is in any way related to the auto-clutch systems used in two wheelers like the erstwhile Hero Honda Street and the TVS Jive.

But I wonder what the point of this whole exercise is. AMTs are anyway available for a very reasonable premium over the manual variants. This system too uses hydraulic actuators paired with a TCU like an AMT to shift gears, so why bother with a manual gear shifter at all! I can't think of a reason to consider this over an AMT 'box.

Maybe to give drivers the feel of using the H-shifter rather than an Up/Down joystick?

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 3rd July 2020 at 15:21.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks