Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 18:37   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc

Read a very interesting tidbit in BVR Subbu's book on Hyundai India. Do you know why companies raise prices every January?

1. To clear up November & December stock. Customers are hesitant to purchase cars in December because, in just a month, their car will be of the old model year. Club December discounts + Jan price hikes, and it makes for a tempting proposition.

2. The price hikes come in Jan because you - as the car owner - also stand to gain in resale value (e.g. higher resale of a Jan 2021 car vs Dec 2020). So, it's a bit of that as well.

Subbu started this practice and it's pretty much the standard now.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:06   #32
BHPian

Re: Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc

Last week I inquired with the Volvo dealer at Mumbai, and the dealer informed that RTO charges will be levied on original pricing even when the offer is on - https://www.volvocars.com/in/offers
Ex-Showroom Price:
Rs. 41,25,000
Offer Price:
Rs. 37,99,000
The RTO tax component remains the same though. Can someone confirm what can be a recourse on this?
Also, please see the rate sheet attached. An insane amount is added as "Auxillary" and "Accessory". The dealers have the audacity to add "Auxilary Charges is mandatory". I see this pattern across all dealers, from Marutis to Audis. Next, all dealers have an highly inflated insurance quote. Overall, The dealer expects buyers to haggle and beg for a bargain. I suppose buyers feel satisfied when this gets discounted (false sense of achievement).
But as a buyer, I am pissed off with attitude. This is absolutely NOT a "hassle free buying scheme". I am buying the car ex-showroom, and not ex-factory. RTO should also have a mechanism to verify ex-showroom pricing. Moreover, our laws have to be more friendly towards consumers.

XC40 pricelist
Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc-img_5996.jpg
streetfighter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:41   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
the dealer informed that RTO charges will be levied on original pricing even when the offer is on
The RTO tax component remains the same though. Can someone confirm what can be a recourse on this?
Your dealer is correct, manufacturers have to upload the MRP against VIN on the Vahhan portal for all vehicles. When your dealer will do the registration, factory amount will be available on the portal, and no one can change it except manufacturer!

You will have to pay fill RTO, do look at BH series thread in case you qualify.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Read a very interesting tidbit in BVR Subbu's book on Hyundai India. Do you know why companies raise prices every January?

Subbu started this practice and it's pretty much the standard now.
Interesting! Another thing to club around the year end discounts + new year price hike is the festival season from Oct-Dec. All this makes a great push for clearing up the year end stock.
Old 24th February 2022, 20:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Are there any more charges above the flat RTO tax, like any cess or anything?

My dealer's registration charge is 84k while on parivahan site I'm getting 79k as the registration charge, any idea why?
Old 24th February 2022, 20:59   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

My dealer's registration charge is 84k while on parivahan site I'm getting 79k as the registration charge, any idea why?
Might be a dealership specific charge? Rounds up nicely to 5k, which makes this case even more likely.

If any additional cess are due, pretty sure parivahan site would not simply waive it off!
Old 24th February 2022, 21:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:

It depends on the state. In TN, apart from Road Tax, Rs. 2500 will be charged by RTO (Rs. 600 INR as Registration charges, Rs. 1500 as Road Safety Tax, Rs. 200 as Smart Card and Rs.200 Service charges). Valid receipt with breakup will be provided by RTO.

Parivaahan does not show this and it shows only the Road Tax component. TN RTO website shows this charges though. So please check whether your state RTO website have this details.
Old 25th February 2022, 12:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Use this Parivahan link to check the road tax in your state.
This links asks for the "Sale amount:" not the MSRP for tax calculation. Technically this means all discounts should be reduced for tax calculation. However the Karnataka RTO calculates the tax on MSRP, not the sale amount. GTO had posted a similar conundrum faced by someone recently. Is there anyway to confirm this officially. This makes a significant difference for cars with higher sticker price and where discounts can be big sometimes.
Old 31st March 2022, 20:51   #39
BHPian

I had requested for detailed break-up of Tata Altroz DCA from Tata motors dealer. He sent this quotation.
They are charging more cess right? (at 3%). It should be (1%) for sub 4m petrol cars. Can I raise this issue to them?
But ex-showroom they have adjusted for what is released by tata officially..
Is it different for automatic cars? Please suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc-img20220331wa0002.jpg  

Old 1st November 2022, 13:44   #40
BHPian

Road tax in Punjab is 8+1% as per my understanding. But on Vahan portal the tax is 10 %.

Any links , resources, explanation would be much appreciated.

The 1 % column reads S.SecTaxN.... something.

Any pointers?
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Car "On-Road Pricing" explained : Ex-showroom prices, taxes, registration charges, etc-screenshot_20221101133307_samsung-internet.jpg  

Old 1st November 2022, 14:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Could you please update this calculation based on the tax calculation in Bharath Series?
Old 9th February 2023, 15:47   #42

Quote:

From my recent experience with Haryana RTO. RTOs do have some additional charges apart from flat %
I was charged around 2k for items like - New registration, temporary registration, smart card fee, service charges, postal fee etc.

Then Dealer had charged additional 4k for the convenience/service provided by dealer. (apart from handling/delivery charges)
This 4k was not explicitly mentioned by dealer and were hidden under overall registration charges. I had asked for complete breakup from dealer for registration charges, which dealer refused to provide.
But after raising the concern with manufacturer, dealer had shared some breakup. Breakup of charges was completely made-up by dealer and hence I challenged that breakup. In the end, dealer agreed to refund this 4k.

this is about Honda Cars, purchased in Dec -22

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks