Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 00:37   #46

Re: Spiritual Successors to flopped cars in India

Chevrolet SRV——- Suzuki Baleno

In my opinion SRV was my favourite cars of all time. Ahead of its time and was shouting luxury from the inside. I still remember the shade of purple it came in and was a head turner.
RachMath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 00:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Who could forget these ubiquitous ones?

Toyota Qualis

Attachment 2026221

Toyota Innova

Attachment 2026222

Shouldn’t the Ecosport be the spiritual successor of the Fusion, .
The Toyota Qualis was David To Goliath Sumo in the days.

Though the Sumo was a great car the comfort for the urbanite was more in Qualis
Old 9th July 2020, 11:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
My picks -
Tata Indigo CS --> Maruti Dzire: Initial idea was by Tata but mastered by Maruti. Indigo CS didn't get much success but Dzire is super hit, even today after 13 years too.
I'll also pick Indigo CS >>> Maruti Dzire

Indigo CS surely deserves a mention here for being the first at the most popular segment, THE SUB 4 METER SEDAN.

When I first saw the Indigo CS, the short-body of Indigo, it immediately rang the bell in my head. The size was perfect and practical to the masses and it also took advantage of the tax benefit.

Unfortunately TATA couldn't capitalize on being the first due to poor reliability, after sales service and many more. It even didn't remain in most people's head and many referred to Swift Dzire as the segment creator.

However its such continued efforts at TATA that they have started coming out with some great cars.

I must also mention that we had a TATA SUMO at home from 1996 to 2010, the engine was bullet proof and sounded very good even on the day we sold it, but there were some minor rattles here and there.
MOUNTAINMAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 22:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Well, even for a Maruti, there was a SSDX to an 800!
a flop 1000 to a successful Esteem - more powerful, better mileage
a flop Baleno to a flop SX4 to another flop Kizashi to a very successful Ciaz
- finally they cracked the 10L barrier!
a flop Zen estilo to the average Ignis
a flop Grand Vitara to a successful Vitara Breeza - talk of price points over capabilities!
Yes, Versa to Eeco the breadbox

Heck, I loved the Baleno and the Kizashi but for the asking price from a Maruti at those point in time!
I have a 2007 Zen Estilo & 2010 SX4 in my Garage. Both serving the Family all these years in City as well as occasional Road Trips..Absolutely Dependable. Both had some features better than the competition at that Price point to offer.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooghlyBoy View Post
I have a 2007 Zen Estilo & 2010 SX4 in my Garage. Both serving the Family all these years in City as well as occasional Road Trips..Absolutely Dependable. Both had some features better than the competition at that Price point to offer.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I loved the SX4 for that ground clearance, relative better build quality for a Maruti, cheaper maintenance, reliability, etc.,

I also owned a box office dud the Octy vRS mk1 - but it was a wonderful machine!
Old 10th July 2020, 17:29   #51
BHPian

I was thinking just a few days ago on this idea, and here it is. What struck me was the MG Hector which is long and narrow like the Toyota Qualis. Also goes well with the fact that the Chinese are building on last generation tech of the Japs. IMHO the spiritual successor of Qualis is Hector.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 10th July 2020 at 17:31.
Old 12th July 2020, 14:18   #52
BHPian

Pardon me but I feel almost all the nominees are taken and hence I would list the cars which have no successors till date.
1. Maruti Gypsy: no modern SUV has one quintessential element of gypsy. Hugging the slushfest. With their go anywhere capabilities, today's more powerful SUV have a 3 star carpetted cabin that abhors muddy boots. Under a capable driver, today's vehicles would take you across the terrain with aplomb but you could never visualize a jeep compass co-passenger getting down in knee deep mud to push a stuck vehicle. Gypsy belonged to era of rugged drivers and reflected that vibe in her basic interiors. Before you call Thar her successor, i would like you to remember, modern engine and badge aside, mahindra jeep predates gypsy.
2. Tata estate: while not a smash hit, tata estate wasn't an unknown vehicle in its era. Her successor as listed in a previous post- original skoda fabia( yes it was an estate) , octy combi, or siena estate never made their mark.
While design wise, we would be hard pressed to find a spiritual succesor to Tata Sierra, I would name Audi Q3/Q5 as one for 2 reasons. First, A tall, big wheeled diesel suv with car like cabin and second, their presence in driveways of rich families from non metros. Yeti may actually fill the boots better but it remains unknown outside of car buffs circle.
My list of spiritual successor would have following pairs:
1. Deawoo Cielo >> Skoda Superb - reason- in used market, both are whales for the price of shrimp and both give E class of their era a run for its money.
2. Premier padmini >>> Honda city in white color-" Doctor owned."
3. White Ambassador>>. Black Scorpio with dark tinted glass- and a red beacon on roof when it was not disbanded- self explanatory. Also a white safari/scorpio with red plate front and back announcing designation of the owner/bureaucrat.
4. Maruti van/omni >>>> Toyota Innova both play dual role of being a family vehicle as well as taxi. Plus gas cylinder hauler, errands vehicle, wedding guest ferry and getaway/escape vehicle.
5. Ford Ikon>>> 3series Josh machine both. An octy vRS is not that mainstream.
Old 16th July 2020, 14:28   #53
BHPian

What would you consider to be the spiritual successor to the Fiat Palio Adventure? Ahead of its time station wagon, about 4.3m long, high ground clearance, 1.6L petrol.

Would that be the S-Cross 1.6?
Old 19th September 2020, 08:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entsurgeon View Post
5. Ford Ikon>>> 3series Josh machine both. An octy vRS is not that mainstream.
But that'd be Ford's very own Fiesta 1.6 (S)!

Neel
Old 19th September 2020, 09:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
But that'd be Ford's very own Fiesta 1.6 (S)!

Neel
Thats next gen of same car rebadged.
Old 16th January 2021, 23:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Saw the T-Roc in flesh, Immediately felt how similar the car's overall character is to Skoda's Yeti(Small size, punchy engine, superb build quality, Not so VFM pricing).

Hope VW can sustain decent sales figures.
Attached Thumbnails
Spiritual Successors to flopped cars in India-20120102060600__nd33209.jpg  

Spiritual Successors to flopped cars in India-volkswagentrocindialaunch.jpg  

giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks