Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:48   #196
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Voted NO.

The Hexa is a Wonderful car, but it was the first in the Tata's Transition to build a premium car. There were many issues reported and TASS wasn't competent enough to fix them, when the vehicle was in production.
You're thinking of the Aria. Trust me.
Source : I own one.

Hexa is Aria 2.0 and has almost all kinks ironed out and is a vastly superior product.

Apart from a few gremlins with the Varicor 400 the Hexa is tremendously sorted and good value for money in a used avatar.
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:56   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
You're thinking of the Aria. Trust me.
Source : I own one.

Hexa is Aria 2.0 and has almost all kinks ironed out and is a vastly superior product.

Apart from a few gremlins with the Varicor 400 the Hexa is tremendously sorted and good value for money in a used avatar.
Yeah.. both are the same product, but refined and partially fixed.

Tata doesn't use 2.2 Varicor anymore, so what assurance does one get while going out with family and elderly parents?

For beater car, i would have blindly said YES. But for a Van, which you intend to go long with your family and kids, is the risk worth taking?
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:12   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah.. both are the same product, but refined and partially fixed.

Tata doesn't use 2.2 Varicor anymore, so what assurance does one get while going out with family and elderly parents?

For beater car, i would have blindly said YES. But for a Van, which you intend to go long with your family and kids, is the risk worth taking?
Any discontinued car has its pros and cons. Hexa is Aria 2.0 built with 4 years of learning. It's not partially fixed, I'd say it's fully fixed, it's basically what the Aria should've been from day 1.

I've made long highway trips with the Aria and it and the Hexa really shine in such trips rather than city use.

In balance, I'd recommend to get a 2017-2018 Hexa given that the car is fully evaluated by TASS & a competent mechanic.

In the end it depends on what the buyer is comfortable with.

For rock solid reliable long distance cruiser go with an Innova. For superlative ride comfort at half the price but with some risks go with the Hexa.

It's all about their appetite for risk and going ahead with all the knowledge.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:44   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Any discontinued car has its pros and cons. Hexa is Aria 2.0 built with 4 years of learning. It's not partially fixed, I'd say it's fully fixed, it's basically what the Aria should've been from day 1.

It's all about their appetite for risk and going ahead with all the knowledge.
Maybe we have a different experience, hence our opinion differs.

Let me tell you my story. I bought Palio 1.6 Sport from Tata, when Tata assured me that Tata will be responsible for sales + Service + Warranty.

After an year, I started getting Check Engine light. I took it to Tata service, Concorde, which is owned by Tata. They Blatantly rejected my warranty and asked me to pay up for the service, because one of the service was delayed by a week.

Accepting my mistake, i agreed to pay for the repair, despite losing extended warranty. Requested for Insurance processing for the repair from Tata as they sold insurance too. That was rejected too.

What did they do? The Service head analyzed and wanted to remove the engine and wanted to open up the head and wanted to inspect the complete common rail to identify the issue. I asked, Why? He said, he was sure of the issue which mostly is related to the common rail or one piston. He assured me that he has seen similar issues and have fixed them.

The problem is, Palio 1.6 was a Petrol car and never had a Common rail. The diesels had it. But Tata never got access to Fiat Diesel cars sales and service.

I said thank you. Paid up what he asked and left. Went to a Fiat only service center and they replaced one sensor in 10 minutes in the Bumper and charged me ~150 bucks for it.

With my ~9 years old Maruti, MASS botched up a bearing while fixing suspension. I asked to fix it as its their mistake. They humbly accepted it and replaced it FOC. The SA even apologized and thanked in the end.

Now, Should i trust Tata? Is tata really capable of servicing cars? How can I even trust a discontinued product from Tata?

Talking for hours, making 100's of calls to customers is not going to fix anything. Ensuring the issue never occurred in the first place does. This is why Maruti prospers, while tata resorts to blaming other brands.

Name means nothing. Its the accountability which gets things done. Maruti has it. Tata, you decide.

You might say, Tata is a different company altogether today. But, I am not against any brand/product. I am a rational person.
How the organization is run makes a difference to me. If Tata really learned anything, we wouldn't have threads on Harrier/Safari issues. Just saying.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:33   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For rock solid reliable long distance cruiser go with an Innova. For superlative ride comfort at half the price but with some risks go with the Hexa.
The case for Hexa is rather weak, It has good low speed ride and the AT is quite nice at city speeds. But as the speeds rise, its not a confident car, even the ride quality at high speeds it not as good as Innova. If you ever hit a poorly made expansion joint in a Hexa at high speed, it would make all of the weight instantly known and you`d feel that its not all that well made.

Innova is the benchmark for this segment, no doubt.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 15:53   #201
BHPian

Quote:
You might say, Tata is a different company altogether today. But, I am not against any brand/product. I am a rational person.
How the organization is run makes a difference to me. If Tata really learned anything, we wouldn't have threads on Harrier/Safari issues. Just saying.
We've gone way off topic.

I understand your bitter experience but as you say you are a rational person. A rational person will not let their past experiences cloud their current assessment, and will evaluate the current opportunity and risk on their own merit independently.

Peace

I will leave it here, lest I clutter the thread more.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:29   #202
BHPian

I owned a Tata Hexa for nearly 5 years and 1 lakh kms.
Following were the issues faced and work done under warranty :
  • EGR around 30K, due to excessive smoke
  • Silencer assembly around 60K, due to cracks. Was lucky enough to get twin pipes as replacement.
  • Few oil seals in between gearbox and engine, around 60k. Gearbox removed, ATF replaced, Oils seals replaced. Car was in ASS for almost a month.
  • Air intake related part replaced , due do whistling sound.
  • Minor leakage of engine oil - Fixed after changing some gasket / oil seal
  • Air filter hose replacement.
  • One of the door lock replaced
  • Couple of exterior trims replaced
Some issues which could not be fixed :
  • Infotainment system becoming unresponsive, only god's intervention used to bring it back to life, that too after few days. Used to happen once or twice a year during last couple of years of ownership. Assuming something to do with moisture.
  • Abnormally thick black smoke under acceleration (normal, not pedal to metal) and sometimes while idling at D, with brakes on.
  • Minor but consistent vibration, after using AC for sometime (Not the regular compressor related noise / vibration)
I had to visit ASS about 25 times in 5 years for regular servicing and twice for accidental repairs. There were some additional visits for follow up, which are not tracked.Car was in ASS for more than a month during AT box oil seal related problems and during one of accidental repairs. Part availability was the reason of delay.
My suggestions to folks looking at buying used Hexa :
  • Pick a model with low odd reading (say 30k to 40k).
  • If buying AT, check if there is any work done on transmission
  • Parts availability may be an issue. While regular parts are available, any 'not so common' part will take a week or two to arrive.
  • Look for a less than 5 year old model with warranty and AMC
  • And have a friend in Tata ASS near your home

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 3rd September 2022 at 09:32.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:40   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Hi Team - In continuation with above search, I recently came across a pre-owned Aug 2019 Hexa XTA (Dual tone white and Black and with ICE Updates) directly through an owner. The car is in pristine condition and driven only 24K so far. The owner seems to be a very genuine guy and have a lot of affection toward his car which is evident looking at the car condition (except few scratches). He initially quoted 15L, against which I made a counter offer of 12.5L to which he has agreed for 13.5 so far. I can still negotiate further to bring it down to 12.8 or 13.
Finally, the search for Hexa has came to an end , happy to share that I have finalized the pre-owned Aug-2019 Hexa XTA dual tone after successful assessment from ASC as well as trusted mechanic, will be taking delivery on coming Saturday since the previous owner need some time to close the outstanding loan amount.

Hoping for a trouble free ownership , Since I have upgraded from 2013 Honda City VMT with zero niggles in last 4 years. The primary reason for this upgrade was bigger family requirement, highway usage (Almost 90%) and an automatic transmission for my wife.

Any tips and guidelines from the existing Hexa owner would be really helpful to maintain the car in pristine condition (as it was maintained by previous owner).

Also, the current insurance policy has expired on 25th Aug which was not renewed by the existing owner. Upon checking with policy baazar helpline, they have suggested following 2 operation.
  • I can purchase a 3rd party insurance only on previous owner name and initiate RC transfer process. Once I get a RC on my name, I can purchase a new zero Dep insurance policy and surrender previous 3rd party policy (might get some refund). I can also use my existing NCB Bonus (50%), while purchasing the new zero Dep post transfer which will help in bringing down the premium cost
  • Or, I can right away purchase a Zero Dep on existing owner name and later get the insurance transferred to my name, but I may have to pay NCB difference amount during insurance transfer.
Jaeger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 07:55   #204
BHPian

I had been considering a low run used Hexa as replacement of my totaled Storme. After a long search I found a 21.5k run KA-19 registered 2018 XTA on Cars24 for 16.25L. Took a test drive the same evening at cars24 Horamavu hub. The car felt good. Next day took a leave from office center as wanter to close the deal as soon a s possible. Paid Rs 999 and asked them to send the car next morning for further test drive and for inspection at TASS. Test drive was again good and it gave a feel of our Storme. We were happy and took the car to TASC Emm Emm Motors (where I get my Vista and Storme serviced, and from the mechanic to the owner know me well). TASC was busy and had no slots to accommodate the car, so sent the car back to Cars24 hub and checked its service history. There were recurring issues related to the gearbox since start of ownership, and the manager asked me to drop the car as parts too not easy to procure. So I dropped the car, and altogether dropped the idea of a used car. The same evening went to Tata Motors showroom Adishakti and booked an humble Punch kaziranga Edition.I will look for Storme replacement next year, when facelieft of safari and Harrier is expected. Till then Vista and Punch will do the office duty. No highway rides planned in small cars.
speed79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:17   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
I had been considering a low run used Hexa as replacement of my totaled Storme. After a long search I found a 21.5k run KA-19 registered 2018 XTA on Cars24 for 16.25L. Took a test drive the same evening at cars24 Horamavu hub. The car felt good. Next day took a leave from office center as wanter to close the deal as soon a s possible. Paid Rs 999 and asked them to send the car next morning for further test drive and for inspection at TASS. Test drive was again good and it gave a feel of our Storme. We were happy and took the car to TASC Emm Emm Motors (where I get my Vista and Storme serviced, and from the mechanic to the owner know me well). TASC was busy and had no slots to accommodate the car, so sent the car back to Cars24 hub and checked its service history. There were recurring issues related to the gearbox since start of ownership, and the manager asked me to drop the car as parts too not easy to procure. So I dropped the car, and altogether dropped the idea of a used car. The same evening went to Tata Motors showroom Adishakti and booked an humble Punch kaziranga Edition.I will look for Storme replacement next year, when facelieft of safari and Harrier is expected. Till then Vista and Punch will do the office duty. No highway rides planned in small cars.
Quoting my own post as it is continuation of my search for Hexa.

Today I dropped my wife and kids to airport in no-ABS, no-airbags Vista. To tell the truth, I was scared in my heart as the start time was similar to when we started our ride in Storme (and met with accident), going for the same destination (Bhopal). I will get Punch Kaziranga AMT delivered on Sunday, so I can pick them up next week in relatively safer Punch. But I definitely need a bigger car like Hexa for airport and highway trips.

I have a question from Hexa owners and followers. Does automatic gearbox of Hexa has issues or do the issues come up after some tens of thousands of kilometers. After the XTA gearbox related issue in 22k run Hexa, I have queries about its reliability. Please advise. I have started looking for XT instead of XTA due to this apprehension. How is Hexa manual as compared to Hexa automatic in driving? I am a previous Storme owner which had 5 speed MT Gearbox. I could find one 2019 XT 4x2 40k on odo directly from owner @15.5L. It seems a bit expensive. How far can it be negotiated for a fair value?
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:14   #206
BHPian

Team - I own a 2019 Hexa XTA which came with a 7inch touchscreen Harman unit. All of a sudden, I am facing a weird humming noise from speakers and tweeter whenever the key is inserted into ignition. The Sound increases as soon as I crank the engine and can hear engine noise and revv noise through speakers.

Went to Rudra Motors TASS for diagnosis purpose, kept the car with them for more than a day, still they are not able to do an appropriate diagnosis and concluded that its an issue with music system citing they tried installing another 2017/1028 Hexa unit (old 5inch unit with physical buttons) and confirmed that sound is not coming after installing other system.

Unfortunately, I was not physically available over there when they conducted this test and car was already assembled back to its original unit by the time I could reach ASS and have to take their word as is.

Further more, They have the following suggestion
1. Replace the entire Harman unit which might cost be more than 50-75K, as the existing system cannot be repaired or at least they don't have the expertise to get it repaired.
2. Get an after market android unit installed.

Need suggestion to take this issue with TATA\Harman higher management, as this is completely unacceptable for such a flagship premium product. Also, does anyone have good reference for expert car audio technician in Pune who can help me with this diagnosis and repair if possible.
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:45   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of a sudden, I am facing a weird humming noise from speakers and tweeter whenever the key is inserted into ignition. The Sound increases as soon as I crank the engine and can hear engine noise and revv noise through speakers.
Get the head unit and speakers’ electrical wires checked for improper grounding or a wire that shouldn’t be grounded touching the metal chassis.

Could also be some wire from the alternator shorting with/improperly grounded to the audio system.

These suggestions are based on issues with after market units in cars from the late 90s, so may not apply here but still worth a check as it should be inexpensive.
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:06   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, does anyone have good reference for expert car audio technician in Pune who can help me with this diagnosis and repair if possible.
I have an issue with my Mahindra where the sound just disappears for a few moments even on a smooth road. Very random and i could not find a pattern. As usual the A.S.S could not diagnose so am looking for a good expert as well. Would appreciate if you share details when you find one - will do so likewise.
Old 30th November 2022, 12:35   #209
BHPian

Guys I'm getting 9.6 lakhs for my 2018 Hexa XMA. The car has covered around 10k kms. Is it good price or can I get more? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
HappyRoadie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 14:11   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

For folks in BLR - came across a 2019 model XTA for sale, 23k run, Blue color. If any one interested, pls DM me.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks