Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 465 66.81%
No 231 33.19%
Voters: 696. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 14:25   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kodaikanal
Posts: 62
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Many thanks hserus and Padmaraj. Yes I have checked that head gasket issue. Absolutely clean both after idling for 5 mins and after driving for a few kms. In fact there is just one small door rattle that I think can be fixed. Else the car ( the train) is pretty great
Ashwinbr is offline  
Old 25th October 2020, 08:06   #77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
Many thanks hserus and Padmaraj. Yes I have checked that head gasket issue. Absolutely clean both after idling for 5 mins and after driving for a few kms. In fact there is just one small door rattle that I think can be fixed. Else the car ( the train) is pretty great
I had purchased one in March. Enjoying it thoroughly. Done 6000km already, ~75% highway drive, and enjoying thoroughly.
How much are you finalizing the deal at? I believe after lock down price has increased slightly. I paid 14 in Bangalore earlier.
omzworld is offline  
Old 25th October 2020, 11:20   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 101
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

I never thought I'd say this, But the Tata Hexa, despite its MPV underpinnings is one of the best Vehicle I have had the privilege of owning and driving.

I have driven it hard for nearly 60k Kms, not even bothering to slow down on the modest speed breakers or potholes and not a squeak from the cabin after all these years. It rides like a dream and is the most abuse friendly ride quality money can buy. And my previous car was the mighty Duster.

I don't know if it's just me, but the car itself seemed compact and never behaved like a vehicle it's size and weight even when thrown around in corners. Thanks to its hydraulic steering and taut chassis and being RWD, it is actually silly fun throwing it around corners.

And highway drives are dealt with like a Boss. It was literally made for it.

And the car itself looks like a million bucks with its imposing presence and those amazing looking 19 inch alloys, making even cars double it's price bracket look and feel tame.

It's simply a cut above the competition in its class and it's just sad that not many got to experience this gem of a vehicle.
Flash777 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:42   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 653
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I never thought I'd say this, But the Tata Hexa, despite its MPV underpinnings is one of the best Vehicle I have had the privilege of owning and driving.

I have driven it hard for nearly 60k Kms, not even bothering to slow down on the modest speed breakers or potholes and not a squeak from the cabin after all these years. It rides like a dream and is the most abuse friendly ride quality money can buy. And my previous car was the mighty Duster.

I don't know if it's just me, but the car itself seemed compact and never behaved like a vehicle it's size and weight even when thrown around in corners. Thanks to its hydraulic steering and taut chassis and being RWD, it is actually silly fun throwing it around corners..
Very aptly described !.

It is a crackerjack of a car. Yet another car in India that only the owners know it's true colors, but in general is not hot selling.

There is a Safari edition in the pipeline, right? I hope Tata launches it quickly and forces Toyota to reduce the price of the Innova!. They just took Innova sales for granted and continued increasing prices absurdly.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 13:20   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kodaikanal
Posts: 62
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Friends.. been 6 weeks since picking up the Hexa XTA with captain seats and finding time only now to post about it. I picked up the car in Chennai and had a chance to drive it for about 1000 odd kms till date. First long drive was me returning home to Kodai (yes, I live in this heaven) cruising at c.100 and 110kmph with music feeling like music to the ears [JBL ]. I felt the size of the car and especially at one point where a tractor suddenly decided to move to the right lane to overtake a 'Share Auto' on the highway - could only jam on the brakes and the car did it with no drama. I do not know if I missed the ESP but all went well - basically I did not dare to maneuver like I would have in my go-cart (Figo Diesel 2011 model).

The car was purchased after 2-3 years of pondering which one to buy since my primary need for a big car was to ensure I was able to take my small family of 2 + 2 + 3 dogs in good comfort . Every car I tried including the Innova was not as confidence inspiring and planted the as the Hexa was. I desperately tried getting a new BS4 in Feb/Mar but could not get one on time - stocks did not last for the model I want. Got 3D mats and the only thing remaining is a good roof box (not sure if I will get good one that is both aerodynamic, waterproof and does not whistle) - was contemplating one of Thule series but they are very expensive - after all these members in the family in the car I'm not sure if I will have space for luggage though . I'm also skeptical to get one since I'm not really sure if luggage carriers on top are allowed (read: legal) . Here are some snaps of the beast - would welcome your thoughts
Ashwinbr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 13:30   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,174
Thanked: 7,366 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
I'm not sure if I will have space for luggage though . I'm also skeptical to get one since I'm not really sure if luggage carriers on top are allowed (read: legal) . Here are some snaps of the beast - would welcome your thoughts
If you fit a luggage carrier the traffic cops will keep chasing you to try and fine you for running a cab with a white board. To their way of thinking only cabs fit luggage carriers. So legal or not, it isnít worth the trouble.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 14:40   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nil
Posts: 349
Thanked: 2,183 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
I'm also skeptical to get one since I'm not really sure if luggage carriers on top are allowed (read: legal) . Here are some snaps of the beast - would welcome your thoughts
You could get an Amazon Basics luggage bag for the roof. Not very expensive, no instaation needed and has good reviews. There are a fee on this forum itself and you can search. Congrats on the Hexa btw. Best car below 20 lakhs in India let down by a super pathetic Tata marketing team.
Cessna182 is offline  
Old 6th December 2020, 15:15   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kodaikanal
Posts: 62
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
You could get an Amazon Basics luggage bag for the roof. Not very expensive, no instaation needed and has good reviews. There are a fee on this forum itself and you can search. Congrats on the Hexa btw. Best car below 20 lakhs in India let down by a super pathetic Tata marketing team.
Thank you. Do they scratch the roof? I'll search in the forum about it. Also looking at some soft carrier options in the Amazon US site. One more worry is its ability to not slip off during acceleration / deceleration. I'll scout the forum.
Ashwinbr is offline  
Old 13th December 2020, 01:44   #84
Newbie
 
sgautam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nellore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Friends,

Yesterday I bought home a 2017 make / 2018 registered Hexa XE which ran 69k km. Covered around 600kms already getting it home etc. Paid 7.8 lacs to the nice gentleman who owned it.

After using it briefly my take on the Hexa

Positives

Fantastic deal as used car, kudos to this thread

Complete safety package, thats the reason I went for XE since our budget was limited

Better ride comfort than the Fortuner or Innova, lot better than the XUV

Special mention- no bounciness like the XUV

Torquey mill and well spaced 3/4/5 gears in XE

Seats are stupendous, very comfy

Mile munching capability

Surprisingly quick for a 2.1 Ton Car

Special Mention Fuel Efficiency

The display shows 14.9kmpl in a combined highway and city cycle of 600km. Even assuming it's around 13/14 it's fantastic for such a car. My Linea usually averages around 16 for exact cycle,
I was flooring the pedal as usual. So lighter driving can squeeze more.

Dynamically very sorted, I felt comfortable and safe and its a high praise given my Punto and Linea background. The ride handling is spot on, the Fortuner I felt has a hard edge to it and the XUV has bounciness



Not So Good

Clutch action though light is long, inconsistent and notchy - sincere advise go for Auto even if its costly. I couldn't since my budget was already stretched.

Gear shifting takes ages, even the Linea is better

Engine not so refined the XUV engine is better on all counts

Higher noise levels than my Linea not yet sure what is the issue, wind or tyres or engine

Need to climb into, elders will require aid

All in all, extremely satisfied with my decision. Will keep updating on issues that I may come across. Thanks to this wonderful forum

Cheers
Gautam
sgautam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 06:18   #85
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Jangareddygudem
Posts: 10
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

I've not driven one but I like the stance of the car. It's macho looks and that width is what made me fall for this vehicle. Will try to drive one of these in the near future.
Balu9999 is offline  
Old 13th December 2020, 07:13   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nil
Posts: 349
Thanked: 2,183 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post



Clutch action though light is long, inconsistent and notchy - sincere advise go for Auto even if its costly. I couldn't since my budget was already stretched.

Gear shifting takes ages, even the Linea is better

Engine not so refined the XUV engine is better on all counts
Congratulations.

Something's not right on your vehicle. The manual Hexa is not as good as the automatic to drive, but the clutch is butter smooth. Gears have a long throw but they click into place nicely. And refinement is not an issue at legal speeds.

Your car will still be under warranty (most Tata cars have a 4 year warranty) so please get a good checkup done at the authorised center and ask them to fix these issues.

I am no mechanic, but I suspect that the clutch needs to be adjusted or replaced.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 08:29   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,174
Thanked: 7,366 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Something's not right on your vehicle. The manual Hexa is not as good as the automatic to drive, but the clutch is butter smooth. Gears have a long throw but they click into place nicely. And refinement is not an issue at legal speeds.
Change all the fluids first (clutch / brake oil, gear oil .. and coolant too, besides the engine oil) in any case even if the clutch plate etc are fine.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 12:42   #88
Newbie
 
sgautam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nellore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Thanks for the pointers. The car had its 60K service done at 63K and I did take it to the TASS for inspection. They tightened a few here and there and said come back at 80k to get a few things changed. The handbrake is not working and there is a screeching noise from the belt idler. They tightened it and said it may need replacement later.

However they did check the gear and said its normal for Hexa. I need to press the clutch 90% to change the gear but my prev cars needed a lot less pedal movement. Anyways nothing wrong or broken but quick shifts are impossible.

Last night I noticed that the headlight throw was not proper and tried to adjust. But I didn't get the desired results. The Bluetooth worked like charm and the audio was very good.

I expected the Engine to be more refined. My partner had run 3 lakh on his XUV and still the pickup and refinement is much better than the Hexa.

However the ride quality is exceptional more so on bad patches. That itself is worth the money since we travel mostly on rural roads. The chasis is hefty and feels indestructible. Loving the car....
sgautam is offline  
Old 13th December 2020, 13:56   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,174
Thanked: 7,366 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post
I expected the Engine to be more refined. My partner had run 3 lakh on his XUV and still the pickup and refinement is much better than the Hexa.
Change the oil to this and have fun.

https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Greaves.../dp/B076F44T5Q
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:24   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nil
Posts: 349
Thanked: 2,183 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post
Thanks for the pointers. The car had its 60K service done at 63K and I did take it to the TASS for inspection. They tightened a few here and there and said come back at 80k to get a few things changed. The handbrake is not working and there is a screeching noise from the belt idler. They tightened it and said it may need replacement later.

However they did check the gear and said its normal for Hexa. I need to press the clutch 90% to change the gear but my prev cars needed a lot less pedal movement. Anyways nothing wrong or broken but quick shifts are impossible.

Last night I noticed that the headlight throw was not proper and tried to adjust. But I didn't get the desired results. The Bluetooth worked like charm and the audio was very good.

I expected the Engine to be more refined. My partner had run 3 lakh on his XUV and still the pickup and refinement is much better than the Hexa.

However the ride quality is exceptional more so on bad patches. That itself is worth the money since we travel mostly on rural roads. The chasis is hefty and feels indestructible. Loving the car....
Your warranty has most likely expired because the car missed a service interval. Please don't mind me saying this, but this looks like an abused vehicle. Handbrake not working, belt idler making noise are not normal. I haven't seen this hapoen even in Zoomcars which are very badly handled.

The gearshift is long as I said but in your case the clutch could be gone. Please get it replaced else it can leave you stranded. The clutch is supposed to be feather light and just like a hatchback.

Also, change your service center and lodge a strong complaint against the one you visited on the Tata app or email. They have no business telling you to leave when the problems are not resolved. You will see the change in attitude once you put you complain.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks