Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 11:43   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Dear all-looking for Hexa XTA model in Chennai or Other parts of Tamil Nadu. Not many credible options in OLX or others sites. If there is anyone willing to sell in the Hexa owners group or elsewhere please let me know.
Thank you.
Old 24th December 2020, 23:54   #92

Hi, an update on our Hexa. I had just returned after completing a thorough check up and mending a few things at Jasper Guntur. I had asked to check on the belts and fluids as a precaution due to our long tour ahead. They did take their time but did a fairly good job. In this context I have to share my experience on Tata EW.

Initially they were hesitant to allow me the Extended Warranty for my pre used Hexa since one of the service was delayed as the original owner postponed the service by 2 months due to insufficient running. The original warranty was getting complete by 30th Dec 2020 and I was anxious to take extend it. However it was sorted by the Tata CCM who allowed me to get both the EW (2 years for 21K) and 1.5K for RSA. Special mention to Tata's CS team who were fair & transparent and I was extremely satisfied with my interactions.

During my stay at the WS I came to know that not many customers go for EW and it looks strange that anyone can skimp on 20K after spending 20 lacs for the car. The team was sharing some funny incidents regarding customers reactions when asked to renew the EW. But the benefits seem to far outweigh the cost. Today itself one Hexa arrived with a engine seizure due to coolant leak and the warranty expired just 22 days ago. The owner was not so knowledgeable and seemed to have missed both the display signs and audible beeps when the coolant temp was high. Anyways they spent 24K just to tow it. It seems EW will cover both the towing cost and the engine rebuild to a large extent. The Manager was mentioning atleast 50% cost would have been borne by Tata even if it was the customers fault for the failure. Still they were trying to help the customer.

Coming to the car itself, I changed a few liquids and diesel filters just to be sure. However the hand brake was not mended as they clearly said that its useless. As per them the design is quite flimsy and the weight of the car is too much for such a design. Secondly the SA was mentioning that cost of replacement would be around 12K and the job itself is a bit difficult given the sensors etc around the wheel. Is this true, anyone has such experience may please guide on this matter.

I was advised not to change the owners name in their service records since warranty is applicable only for the original owner although the logic seems silly. This was said to me even as I was pointing them a standing banner listing the benefits of EW. It was clearly written that the cars resale price will improve if there is EW. Due to time constraint I didn't pursue it further till I read the T&Cs. Is this true... ?

Next on my shopping list is a metal roof top carrier since our Kerala trip is due next month. We are members and I will be needing the carrier for luggage. Appreciate your pointers on the brands and type available.

Cheers
Gautam
sgautam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 02:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post
However the hand brake was not mended as they clearly said that its useless. As per them the design is quite flimsy and the weight of the car is too much for such a design.

Next on my shopping list is a metal roof top carrier since our Kerala trip is due next month.
We have a similar issue in Safari Storme too, even when the hand brake is engaged the car tends to roll. This is due to design flaw. I have tried multiple methods (even skimming and slotting the disk inner surface) but its not upto mark. I would suggest to always leave the car in 1st or Reverse this will help (P mode in case its an automatic).

And regarding the roof rack, check if it is legal to have them in the place you stay and the place you want to travel. As we have seen multiple news floating around stating roof racks, crash guards are illegal.
varun560061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 01:09   #94

An update on accessories

Went for Tata Hexa OEM Footmats (2.5k), Non slip rubber inserts (1k) and side foot board (15K). Fitting the foot board took more than an hour and the price seemed very fair. The quality was excellent and its very well built. The side profile appearance has improved by a bit. This became essential since my mother found it difficult to get into.

However I was unable to get the roof carrier. All the options were limited to around 4x4 feet. I needed a 5 footer to suit the look of the car and also it will carry more. TASS has quoted 90K for the OE accessory. He wasn't sure but its a box type carrier made by Thule.

I am planning to search for a suitable one in Chennai..Pl help me finding the right location where I can go and search for the right one. I mean any one or two locations in Chennai whee we have a cluster of accessories shops. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers.... Gautam
sgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 07:38   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgautam View Post
I mean any one or two locations in Chennai whee we have a cluster of accessories shops. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers.... Gautam
General Patters road is to car accessories in Chennai, what the Srirangam temple is to Vaishnavites. You'll find one stretch of road choc-a-bloc with all manner of 2 and 4 wheeler accessories and modification shops.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 07:44   #96
BHPian

Votes No. I do not have trust on TATA as a car maker. As a matter of fact, I was willing to buy Harrier but backed out on hearing it's miscellaneous reliability issues.

Also, the Tata Indica that we had in our home earlier washed out any positives about Tata. That car just couldn't complete any long journey without breaking down.

Hence, I wouldn't buy a TATA car, new or old.
sarav100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 07:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

In Theory, when I have no plans to change my car in near future, just for the strict sake of voting, to please my close friends working for TATAs, I may say yes.

But in reality, when I am really in a used car market in search of a reliable car, do I have confidence to put money on a USED or even new Tata vehicle?

Both my mind and heart says, Stay away. I would not put or suggest my friends to put hard earned money on a USED or brand new TATA car.

Voted No.

Last edited by gkveda : 27th December 2020 at 08:02.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 00:06   #98

Another update on the accessories front.

1. Ordered for a custom built roof carrier for Hexa from Mr Murthy. I came to know him thru his YouTube videos on Hexa accessories. He is based at Coimbatore and owns a Hexa himself. Will get it fixed this weekend and post my feedback later.

2 Went for a rear view camera from TASS. Outside dealers were a bit wary of trying to fit cams and sensors on Hexa. They say recent Tata cars like Nexon and Tiago incl the Hexa are finicky and additional relays and corrections are required to make them function. The showroom guys took their time but were quite methodical. Excellent work

3. I found the A pillars' blind spot a bit too much and sought some meaningful solutions. Didn't find a really good one but Tata themselves may have realized it and they are offering front sensors which are placed at both extremes on the bumper. They beep and warn you if the distance is closing but the sound is quite irritating. I will try to wrap a tape on the mic soon. Its too loud but thats the only solution I got from the market.

4. Went for memory foam neck rest which cost a decent amount. Each one cost 1600 but after using it for a good 500km i would say thats worth it. The comfort provided is excellent.

I think my search for accessories is done for now. Will update once the roof carrier is fitted.

Cheers
sgautam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 20:05   #99
BHPian

Dear All,

So after reading and re-reading almost everything on Hexa that TBhpians have to write, I 'm out hunting for one in Pune.

Current ride: Driving Accent Petrol (Executive) for last 7 years.
Have lot of great memories with it. Its aging and rather well.

Need: Spacious and comfortable ride, that will serve me well for long distances for long time.
With kids and need to do few interstate rides a year + smallers rides away from concrete jungle every other weekend, the hunt began.

Took Accent to home town (Jodhpur) where it will rest and still been taken cared by father who would use it for in city drives. (In addition to Ertiga vxi that he uses for drives out of city. I know from ride quality perspective it should be other way around)

Anyways, I always had this idea of living in Car on highway Thus the Hexa.

Learned friends suggested to steer clear of Tata, but my heart always went for home grown brand. Safari was a love, just like Natalie Portman was out of reach.
Others suggested Innova/BRV... but somehow Hexa stuck, yes that mind vs heart cliche.

Then auto vs manual. Friends said if it is Hexa it has to be auto, which I kind of understand and would comply if only I had little more deeper pockets (and some patience)

What I find (avoiding dealers as much as possible):
1) Hexa XM 4x2, 2017, Arizona Blue, 50k at asking prices ce of 10.5L

2) XM, 60k, 2017, Grey/Silver, asking price 10.5L

Both Pune registered (my preference)

Drove (1) and didn't find clutch or gear that bad. Of course auto would be better, but manual isn't seem deal breaker for me. Reasonably kept well, nothing spectacular either. Unkept seats, and soiled noodle mats, rest if lest say o-k.
Its on hypo with outstanding of 8.5+60k foreclosure.

Yet to see and TD (2)

Both are 1st owner.

By the post you can tell I am noob when it comes to posting queries here.
Any comments on my need and the available cars would be much appreciated.
patel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 00:06   #100

Hi, since both cars are out of their standard warranty pl prefer one which has EW. Also suggest to inspect both at the nearest TASS and also check for service history.

Our recently bought Hexa already needed repairs twice and both instances the EW took care of the costs. If not I would have paid atleast 30k from my pocket. The latest instance was at Kerala when the heat plugs didn't work properly. The relays were changed on FOC.

Hope this helps
sgautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 15:46   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel View Post
Dear All,

So after reading and re-reading almost everything on Hexa that TBhpians have to write, I 'm out hunting for one in Pune.

Need: Spacious and comfortable ride, that will serve me well for long distances for long time.
With kids and need to do few interstate rides a year + smallers rides away from concrete jungle every other weekend, the hunt began.

Took Accent to home town (Jodhpur) where it will rest and still been taken cared by father who would use it for in city drives. (In addition to Ertiga vxi that he uses for drives out of city. I know from ride quality perspective it should be other way around)

Anyways, I always had this idea of living in Car on highway Thus the Hexa.

Learned friends suggested to steer clear of Tata, but my heart always went for home grown brand. Safari was a love, just like Natalie Portman was out of reach.
Others suggested Innova/BRV... but somehow Hexa stuck, yes that mind vs heart cliche.

Then auto vs manual. Friends said if it is Hexa it has to be auto, which I kind of understand and would comply if only I had little more deeper pockets (and some patience)

What I find (avoiding dealers as much as possible):
1) Hexa XM 4x2, 2017, Arizona Blue, 50k at asking prices ce of 10.5L

2) XM, 60k, 2017, Grey/Silver, asking price 10.5L

Both Pune registered (my preference)

Drove (1) and didn't find clutch or gear that bad. Of course auto would be better, but manual isn't seem deal breaker for me. Reasonably kept well, nothing spectacular either. Unkept seats, and soiled noodle mats, rest if lest say o-k.
Its on hypo with outstanding of 8.5+60k foreclosure.

Yet to see and TD (2)

Both are 1st owner.

By the post you can tell I am noob when it comes to posting queries here.
Any comments on my need and the available cars would be much appreciated.

Great choice going for the Hexa. If this helps, I got a used one from Pune in November 2020. It is a 2017 XTA model, got it for 11.5lakhs. (Finally got a well kept non dealer car after searching for close to 3 months!)
Finding a non-dealer single owner, well maintained Hexa is a long process, because such cars don't come out often. Inspect every car, and take time in finalising it, and bargain hard. You would grin from ear to ear each time you drive it, in comfort. Cheers!
Blue Express is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 17:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Express View Post
Great choice going for the Hexa. If this helps, I got a used one from Pune in November 2020. It is a 2017 XTA model, got it for 11.5lakhs. (Finally got a well kept non dealer car after searching for close to 3 months!)
Finding a non-dealer single owner, well maintained Hexa is a long process, because such cars don't come out often. Inspect every car, and take time in finalising it, and bargain hard. You would grin from ear to ear each time you drive it, in comfort. Cheers!
Thank you for the note

During your search you must have evaluated few vehicles (hexas). Ofcourse you choose the best that was available.

Were there any next-best options that you thing are worthy to be considered at this point in time?

What I observed so far is: Very few people are looking for hexa and even fewer people are selling it
patel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 18:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Need: Spacious ...
I love buying good used cars and have had my fair share of experience. Some points that might help you - from my good and Importantly bad experiences.

1 - Never ever rush your car purchase - esp used. If the person tells you someone else is also interested you can put up a token - if you really liked the car - and take a couple of days to evaluate the car. The token shows you are serious and you can call the shots.

2 - The person selling the car is no saint. He isn’t your friend or buddy - he is a seller. Treat him like one. You are here to buy a vehicle not a sweet talking friend.

3 - Don’t be too strict about your choice. Yes the Hexa is a brilliant vehicle but keep your eyes open for other great cars - XUV for example. Sometimes you could be looking for Miss India and could end up missing Miss World in the bargain. Imagine getting a Marazzo for 7-8 lakhs or an XUV for 10 with features similar to the Hexa!

4 - Set aside 20% of the purchase price as maintenance money for the first year or two. Meaning - if the used vehicle is less than 3 years old, driven about 50-60k kms - for 10 lakh, factor 2 lakhs for the first two years. clutch replacement, tyres,battery,etc. This also allows you to accept heartburn if something does go wrong.

5 - Expect the worst - there are many things that are not evident when you purchase. A clutch that feels fine could fail in 5k kms based on how the original owner drove. Again the money you set aside for maintenance will help you.

Quote:
Great. advice plus one!

Missed a key point

- Don’t set a ‘buy by date’ like have to purchase before Diwali or My birthday etc. This will allow you to keep the most important thing while buying a ‘used’ car - PATIENCE! ( Mods please allow this all caps).

Every time you feel this is the ‘best car and best deal’ sleep over it for at least two days. Before you take the plunge. A car will stay with you for 2-3 or more years. It’s a large sum for something that someone has already used.

- Always check the service history if available. Also check the Insurance NCB - one year no claims
Is 20%, two years is 30% and so on. Gives a fair idea of any accident history even if repaired from outside.

Take care and have fun!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2021 at 02:27. Reason: Merged as requested + capitalising, typos fixed. Thanks.
torquecurve is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 11:59   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the sensible choice! Couple of queries:
  1. How many kms were on the car at the time of purchase?
  2. What was the asking price?
  3. Any repairs till date?
  4. Where did you find the listing for the car?
Thank you.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:46   #105

Quote:
Thank you for the note

During your search you must have evaluated few vehicles (hexas). Ofcourse you choose the best that was available.

Were there any next-best options that you thing are worthy to be considered at this point in time?

What I observed so far is: Very few people are looking for hexa and even fewer people are selling it
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, had evaluated 3 more, all searched on online car buying websites. Of the lot, the one I chose had been maintained well, only one person in the family had driven the car, had a properly maintained service history and was accident free.

Other options considered but taken off mind immediately were- used Innova crysta (Expensive), Marazzo (Not established well- so concerns over long term reliability), used Pajero Sport (With Mitsubishi exiting India, the big question was that of spares availability and service costs) and a new XL6 (Good car, but somehow not satisfied). In the end, I thought Hexa is the best option, considering the overall features, price, space, comfort, the fantastic engine+ gearbox combo of the AT, and after already owning a Tata Tiago, my experience with the service centre was good.

Yes, the problem with Hexas are that there are very few people selling it, so patience is the key here!
Blue Express is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks