Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 13:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

I voted no, as i doubt the longevity of Hexa. Last year I had rented one from Zoom to drive from Raipur to Bilaspur and back. The car was in 'good condition' compared to average condition of Zoom cars. It had done about 72k kms. There was nothing wrong in particular with the car, its just that it reminded me so much of the Safari we owned till 2012.

Everything worked, but everything gave the feeling of having excess play or being loose. E.g. the movement of stalks on the steering had a very greasy feel to it. Similarly, felt about the seat adjustment mechanism, the glovebox etc. There were mechanical shortcomings too, but I would give it the benefit of doubt since it was a rental car. Overall, being an existing Innova owner and the praise I read bout Hexa on T-bhp, i came away underwhelmed.

Last edited by rrsteer : 10th July 2020 at 13:27.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:05   #17
BHPian

I bought one of the last lot of Hexa XTA's in March. Understandably, not too many kms on the odo because the lockdown was imposed within a week of delivery. My Nano XTA takes care of the short distance runabout errands in the course of the lockdown. Also, the cops are less likely to cane an 'Uncle' driving a Nano . . . one does not get more 'paavam' (South of Vindhyas) 'laachara - bechara' (North of Vindhyas) than that

Friends and colleagues had suggested that I go for the Harrier AT. But after a succession of Safaris I have come to love the 400Nm tug of the 2.2L VARICOR, the massive glass area and visibility, the sofa like seats. Octogenarians in the family appreciate the reduced climb height in the Hexa vs the Storme.

The slush box auto is nice and predictable, though none of the DCT snappiness I enjoyed in a succession of VW Passats. Above all being a music lover, I really LOOOVE that 10 speaker JBL. Connect that Aux through a Dragonfly Red to my phone, Spotify playlist and I am in music heaven. Big B's baritone in 'Main Aur Meri Tanhai' and 'What A Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong (I am an Uncle I told you) sound splendid.

The only problem is now I am so used to that audio system, I am tempted to splurge another 1 Lakh to upgrade my home audio to JBL's finest (that I can afford). Am holding on to that temptation with all my self-control. I suppose I can be the weird Uncle that sits in the parking lot alone in his car listening to music

As for the Hexa. . . I am happy and would opt for it if I were to make the choice today, given my requirements.

Last edited by Ferruccio : 10th July 2020 at 14:11.
Ferruccio is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I'm proud to see such a VFM product from a company that I deeply respect, I've voted No.

I would never have peace of mind inside a Hexa knowing that our engineering hasn't yet become fool-proof. There would always be this apprehension of something going wrong.

One will not have such concerns in, say, a Fortuner.

Let this product prove its " fill it - shut it - forget it type" reliability over 4,00,000km and, say, 15 years.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:34   #19
BHPian

The Hexa is one of my desired cars and hence voted yes. In a parallel universe where I have the need and time for 4 to 5 cars, the Hexa will be the one doing people mover duties (before the Carnival got launched, of course)
Old 10th July 2020, 15:05   #20
BHPian

Voted yes. I had the Tata Hexa AT for a few months and loved driving it. The driving position and the seats are too good. The engine + AT combo is almost flawless and the sorted suspension setup just adds to the confidence. The 2.2 engine has more than enough power and torque for highway runs and it can go on for long without breaking into a sweat.

But, the Hexa does have some downsides like some of the glitchy electricals which might not be present in later batches (the car which I had was from the earliest batch). Also, the AT variant does drink a lot of fuel so do not have high expectations on the fuel efficiency front. I feel the Innova Crysta is a bit more efficient. I wouldn't recommend the MT to anyone. Driving the Hexa MT is just too much work.

All in all, it is a great car to have and a thorough alternative to the Innova which has insane resale value. Just make sure to get the car properly checked before buying. For a price of about Rs. 11-12 lakhs, a Hexa AT is great value.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img_2741.jpg  

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 10th July 2020 at 15:06.
StrangeWizard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 16:58   #21
BHPian

Voted Yes, had attended the launch event in Chennai, was simply blown away. Was not in the market for a car at the time, but was very sad to see that it did not take off. Tata's achilles heel, their products and the niggles, have now been replaced by poor product/variant planning and abysmal sales and service. I keep hoping they get their act together, but their dealers and product teams keep shooting themselves in the foot!
philipmathen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Middle-row comfort makes it an amazing tourer, and it's a well-rounded product overall. I remember a comment from the official review thread along the lines 'take off the badges and nobody will guess it's a Tata'. Speaks volumes for Tata's progress.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:38   #23
BHPian

A big yes from me. In fact a pre-owned Hexa is my first choice if I do decide to let go of my Dicor. I would personally stay away from a dealer car and get one from an owner directly as odometer tampering is most rampant in such cars.
robbie_KL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Not really satisfied with the service my Sister's Tiago has been through. That and the Harrier Fiasco has left a bad taste in my mouth for Tata.

Also should one worry about the spares, since once the Gravitas arrives, m pretty sure the Hexa would be discontinued.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

As a Current owner, of a 2017 XTA, I have voted an empahtic Yes. I've done BLR-HYD numerous times non stop ( except to switch drivers or a chai break with the car running ), and have never felt fatigued. Solo drives too are a breeze on the highways.

Done BLR-Kochi non stop with driver swaps, and the car never skipped a beat.

I found the Auto box better than the one in the Crysta, specially the sports mode. It also doesnt feel that much of a MPV as the Innova.

The music system is pure bliss.

Tata Service has been quite satisfactory till date with Concorde. Have to switch to KHT now so will see if there's a difference.

Out and out the best highway cruiser you can get this side of 20Lacs.
smsrini is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Also should one worry about the spares, since once the Gravitas arrives, m pretty sure the Hexa would be discontinued.
The 2.2 Variocor is a Tata staple engine. Many components are shared with the Safari Storme. So, basic consumables are never a problem, at TASS and also at FNGs. In case of an accident, Hexa specific parts like lights, bumpers and trims are made available on order, and that can take some time. They have to be shipped from Pune. Otherwise, there is nothing to worry. My Hexa needed to have both bumpers and some other things changed after an incident last year, and it took a month. Details are on the main Hexa thread.

It must also be noted that the Hexa is only temporarily discontinued right now due to BS6 transition. Hexa BS6 is confirmed for launch by the end of this year or early next year.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:13   #27
BHPian

For me it is a big YES.

The Hexa is really the ultimate vehicle for my needs. It can carry 6-7 in comfort. Has decent creature comforts (the early ones miss AA and Apple Carplay, which is a downer). And the AT box is phenomenal. And it does handle really well for something like is a mini bus. It is a great value for money proposition in the used car market.
RoadGlide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:42   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes

Arizona blue XTA 6 seater.

Main reason -The smooth gearbox, awesome ride, closest thing that felt American on Indian roads. I meant the Caprice classics of yore.

My buddy and me were smitten by the TD, but he patiently waited for more than an year and half to see if they would launch the AWD with auto gearbox.
Harrier launched. Fell head over heels. Went ahead and bought one, eventhough his primary need was autobox.

Secondary reason - well.....waayy cheaper than an equivalent Innova.

Improvements from Aria days means most issues are taken care of, the only thing I find irritating is the lack of storage spaces in such a big car, cubbyholes and centre consoles, not boot space.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:30   #29
BHPian

A big fat YES!

Back home (Kerala), my cousins own a 2018 Jeep Compass LP, 2017 Xuv 500 W10, and a 2018 Crysta ZX MT (Second hand). Had my fair share of drives in all, and then narrowed it down to Tata Hexa. Again, my personal preference. I agree the MT box is tricky at times, especially in city it can give a real forearm workout.

The XTA will be my choice any day!
NitinDev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:33   #30
BHPian

I have researched this aspect as I was planning on buying a used Hexa since December & came across a few units before the lockdown.

Solid product, but very few good options in the used market. Hard finding sellers who actually connect with the car well enough to take interest to care well for it.

Voting YES, with a caveat for those who develop the taste for Hexa, be ready to have a significant amount of spare time searching & emotional ability to take disappointment to your stride and skip the badly maintained copies.

Often just the availability aspect with other MPVs makes them a good option, as one doesn't have to experience this heartburn after setting your heart on the model.
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks