Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 13:52   #106

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Congrats on the sensible choice! Couple of queries:
  1. How many kms were on the car at the time of purchase?
  2. What was the asking price?
  3. Any repairs till date?
  4. Where did you find the listing for the car?
Thank you.
Hi, apologies for the delayed reply.

1- The car had run 52k kms, single driver driven. In fact, even the plastic covr of the rear seats were not removed!
2- The asking price was 13 lakhs, I started from 10.5 and finally settled for 11.5 lakhs (XTA).
3- None. I even took the car to Tata ASS who advised no repairs were needed, since the car was recently serviced by the previous owner.
4- Had found it on olx.
Blue Express is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Express View Post
Yes, the problem with Hexas are that there are very few people selling it, so patience is the key here!
After running around looking for Hexas I kind of gave up and booked an Ertiga.

The waiting period is 3 months (as per SA) , so I will still continue to look for a used Hexa.

I had almost finalised a Hea XM manual for around 8.5L when a friend suggested steering clear of manual.
Sometimes I doubt if asking too many people is a good thing.

XTA in Pune were all with dealers, all if them shady ones. Inspection revealed panels repainted when they claimed otherwise.

There is one with reputed dealer, but that is PB registered, which he claim can get converted to MH12, but a simple soul like me don't feel comfortable doing that.

Btw all the XTA were quoted nothing less than 12-14L, in my opinion anything above 10-11L for this car and stable would not be justifiable.
patel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 20:54   #108
BHPian

My XTA went in for its 60k service and I got a call from a potential buyer for 14 lakhs. I politely declined saying i can't find any car to upgrade to. He says he will pick it up in 5 mins if i was ever interested to sell. So, hold on to your Hexas!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 23:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel View Post
After running around looking for Hexas I kind of gave up.
There’s one in our classifieds, one in a dealer in Mumbai and one I found on OLX in Pune. All single owner, XTAs that are around the 30k mark if I remember correct. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll share the link.
Old 18th February 2021, 15:54   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel View Post
After running around looking for Hexas I kind of gave up and booked an Ertiga.

The waiting period is 3 months (as per SA) , so I will still continue to look for a used Hexa.

I had almost finalised a Hea XM manual for around 8.5L when a friend suggested steering clear of manual.
Sometimes I doubt if asking too many people is a good thing.

XTA in Pune were all with dealers, all if them shady ones. Inspection revealed panels repainted when they claimed otherwise.

There is one with reputed dealer, but that is PB registered, which he claim can get converted to MH12, but a simple soul like me don't feel comfortable doing that.

Btw all the XTA were quoted nothing less than 12-14L, in my opinion anything above 10-11L for this car and stable would not be justifiable.
I own a MT Hexa and I consciously bought a MT over AT. Clutch is light, so city drive is not an issue. In highway anyway usage of clutch & gear is less. If possible , you take a test ride and then decide. Rent a Hexa from zoomcar for a day and try out. As your requirement is a six/seven seater give Hexa a try. Drive and seating comfort is at different level.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 17:16   #111
BHPian

.. so my lusting over Hexa isn't over yet. And undefined waiting for Ertiga is just adding fuel to it. Yet to come across a new individual listing so not much I can do other then wait.

And while I do that, can nay of the owners confirm if the Hexa has flat folding rear seats (2nd and 3rd row)? Captain seats will not serve my purpose so I'm restricting my search to 2nd row bench version.

As suggested, I plan to hire a Hexa by zoom/revv sometime soon and do a longish test drive so clear any doubts. After all just reading about and watching photos of the things you love can only take you that far.
Old 21st March 2021, 11:06   #112
BHPian

Hexa 3rd row does not fold completely flat. This causes a slight difficulty when placing heavy airport luggage like a big suitcase. Pushing it and placing over the seat takes some effort. But it is not a deterrent in comparison to other benefits one gets from Hexa like the ride quality, space, comfort and amazing sound quality. Do try the Hexa by renting from zoom/rev. You will get blown by the ease of driving such a huge car.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 14:25   #113
BHPian

Used Tata Hexa, does it make sense?

I have been looking to buy a 7 Seater SUV, now. Pretty confused , looking for your inputs.

A little bit of background, I stay away from the country most of the year, car will only be used couple of months.

Remaining time it is going to be idle. I was looking to buy the Safari, but somehow the car was not convincing enough. Was looking at the Alturas briefly, even posted a question here (Buying a Used Mahindra Alturas G4 | Makes sense?) and dropped the idea based on your feedback. Now I have been waiting for the XUV700, seems good so far from all the leaks, automatic AWD etc. One of the most important criteria was to get an automatic.

Meanwhile I can see a loads of low mileage (less than 50K) Hexa XTAs in Cars24 for around 11-14L (depending on the RTO). Also I see a lot of people here who swear by the Hexa. Downsides I see with the automatic XTA variant Hexa apart from the fact that it is not produced anymore is the lack of AWD, ESP, TC and other assists. These gizmos have saved me in the past a couple of times I would love to have them here.

Considering the other scenario that I go get an XUV700, it will be super depreciating just parked idle and the first month service will be with zero kms on the odometer .

My friends have been advising me to avoid any cars that are discontinued, citing part availability shortages in future. The automatic gearboxes too carry their own share of uncertainty.

Guys, please let me know used Hexa or the new "yet to be launched" XUV700 automatic AWD? Would love to read your comments. Thank you all.

PS: Guys don't ask me to rent a car, I have an OCD for cleanliness and hate soiled cars, especially during the current Covid situation.
pandabear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 14:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Tata Hexa, does it make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
I have been looking to buy a 7 Seater SUV, now. Pretty confused , looking for your inputs.

A little bit of background, I stay away from the country most of the year, car will only be used couple of months.

Guys, please let me know used Hexa or the new "yet to be launched" XUV700 automatic AWD? Would love to read your comments. Thank you all.

PS: Guys don't ask me to rent a car, I have an OCD for cleanliness and hate soiled cars, especially during the current Covid situation.
Instead of uncertain / unknown experience with Hexa or XUV700, why not have a reliable Innova (Crysta, if possible) with AT?

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 21st July 2021 at 14:39.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 15:40   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Instead of uncertain / unknown experience with Hexa or XUV700, why not have a reliable Innova (Crysta, if possible) with AT?
Difficult to get a clean used innova automatic. Also commands pretty steep prices in the used car market. Thanks for the reply.
Old 21st July 2021, 15:58   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
In your situation do you really need to buy a car if it's going to be used only for a couple of months per year? You can try the subscription model or self-drive options.

Try it for the first year. If it works well you are all set.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2021 at 16:19. Reason: reduced quoted post
bhppower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hexa is a depreciation disaster, so it makes sense to buy it used. I don't see any issue with parts availability compared to other cars from TML. This is because no Tata dealerships I know stock the parts outside routine maintenance. And if you find yourself with a broken wiper motor or power window motor or something on those lines, expect a 4 weeks delay. This is true for any car from Tata, be it Safari or Hexa, or Aria. The problem you are going to face is that such parts will break more often than a Toyota or Hyundai car. And this is nothing specific to Hexa, but a Tata trait. If you can live with that fact, proceed with the purchase. It is unlikely to be a seamless experience like Crysta ownership, but you get what you pay for.

On another note, I recommend buying a new petrol automatic XL6 for this requirement if you can think outside the segment barrier. Diesel cars do not do well while sitting idle. Your running is very low. So you don't need diesel. Hunting for that rare Crysta petrol is also another option.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 21st July 2021 at 16:16.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:05   #118
BHPian

Petrol options are something I did not think of. Thank you for the perspective.
Old 21st July 2021, 17:23   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Diesel cars do not do well while sitting idle. Your running is very low.
Noob OT question: Everyone mentions this - "diesels do not do well if left idle". What does it mean really? My own diesel has been sitting idle for the past 7 months in this pandemic. It has run only 1000 Km in this time.

I hope we can entertain one OT reply from you. What happens to diesels if they aren't run that much? This might even help the OP in making his decision.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:18   #120

I have purchased Hexa XTA last year exactly a day before March lockdown. Have convered 13000kms during 15 months and gone through 3 servicing. So I can speak based on experience.
In terms of sheer value for money, you can't beat it. I got a pristine 2 year 20K run at a price less than Nexon top end.
There is nothing except Crysta that comes close to the space it provides and for comfort it trumps Crysta.
Covered >800kms in day 6 times, so it is gobbles miles
Need to upgrade low beam but nothing else is a issue in stock form
Now coming to niggles there have been few and while service centre at my native place in Rourkela found it difficult to manage, Bangalore was a breeze. All parts came in 3-4 days and all fixed in a week.
So if you are in a metro, it should be easier to live with the beast, but won't recommend in smaller towns.
omzworld is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed