Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 11:47   #181
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan88 View Post
My search for an XTA 6 seater is still on. The asking price (and likely the best price) is 14L for a 2017 model 72k run model.

My only question, I played around with the trip meters and it showed 7kmpl (for over a distance of 500kms in Trip A and same 7kmpl on 6k on Trip B). Isn't this abnormal? I sense something must be not right with the vehicle for this abysmal consumption.
Hello,
Have been in your shoes sometime back. Here are my comments:
a) 14L for a 2017 XTA seems very high. I am not sure of the regional differences (as compared to NCR) but similar vintage cars are available for 11-12 lacs up North. In fact, could be even lower sometimes.
b) 7kmpl across Trip A and B could be an indicator that the battery was disconnected and reconnected recently. I recently gave my Hexa for detailing work and they disconnected the battery, resulting in fuel consumption getting reset. Check if the battery was recently disconnected for some reason- may be at the dealership itself during evaluation or last service.
c) Spare parts availability would definitely be a concern, especially for 'not-so-fast' moving parts. However, general servicing parts are fairly easily available. In addition, my local TASS is able to get parts in 4-5 days, if you are able to preempt the demand. I have seen people getting parts faster at FNG's or through Boodmo. It just needs some planning and should not be a show stopper unless you get into something big. It's a heart-over-head decision for sure
tarik.arora is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:27   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan88 View Post
When I spoke with the TATA service rep on a call he immediately asked to stay far away from a Hexa. Upon poking further said the spare parts aren't available and that the vehicle is discontinued. That hurt my confidence.
I spoke to couple of TASS in Bangalore and they assured me that spares are available. However, they did warn me that I should be ready to wait for some of the spares as it may not be readily available.

I recommend you to check with couple of more service centers in your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

You have also mentioned you found another one @ 12.5 quote. Do check both of them thoroughly and pick the one you are comfortable with.
Thanks condor & cs_rajesh for the guidance! I've finalized the 2018 Hexa XT with captain seats. The service history is very clean and the last service was done in May 2022. I did a quick test drive and found no issues (to my limited knowledge of Hexa). It will go to TASS today for the 40 point inspection, and if there are no issues, I will close the deal.

Though, I preferred the XTA (which would have been my first automatic car), I felt comfortable with the manual as well. Moreover, I'll drive this on highways 90% of the time. I use my Dzire VDI for daily commutes.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th July 2022 at 17:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
anand.babu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:42   #183
BHPian

Closed the deal, for a Hexa XTA 2020 with 36k on the odo for 15.5L. Pics will come soon, after I take the delivery. It's a 7 seater tungsten grey dual tone (black roof), 7" touch and 17" black alloys. I took it to nearest TASS for an inspection (Rs1250+GST) and the service mechanic gave a thumbsup.
jagan88 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 20:50   #184
Senior - BHPian

Any birdie chirping anything about the BS6 Hexa?
Old 13th July 2022, 21:04   #185
BHPian

Exactly the news I have been waited my for. Booked a Carens, am looking at the ScorpioN ( might book it too). Wife is not at all ready to bring home a used Hexa, and said I can bring one home only if it is brand new !!
Old 19th July 2022, 11:35   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.babu View Post

I've finalized the 2018 Hexa XT with captain seats. The service history is very clean and the last service was done in May 2022. I did a quick test drive and found no issues (to my limited knowledge of Hexa). It will go to TASS today for the 40 point inspection, and if there are no issues, I will close the deal.
Just wanted to update that I've closed the deal . Loving it already, elders at home felt super comfortable with the captain seats and kids love their 3rd row.

Planning to take it on the highway this weekend, thanks all for the guidance!

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-photo20220711195618.jpg
anand.babu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:33   #187
BHPian

Team – Need your opinion about finalizing the deal for a pre-owned Sept 2018 Grey HEXA XTA (Odo Reading : ~70K).

Currently, This car is owned by a team mate under Company car lease scheme which is going to expire in Sept 2023. He will transfer the lease on my name which I have to continue for next 1 year post which I would have to the get the car transferred on my name. Going by the evaluation through different website, I feel 12.5L would be an appropriate price to quote, which will again be segregated into different components like (deposit, pending EMI for 1 year and final sale value).

Would it be a wise decision to close this deal or should I continue to search more?
Jaeger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:20   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Team – Need your opinion about finalizing the deal for a pre-owned Sept 2018 Grey HEXA XTA (Odo Reading : ~70K).

Currently, This car is owned by a team mate under Company car lease scheme which is going to expire in Sept 2023. He will transfer the lease on my name which I have to continue for next 1 year post which I would have to the get the car transferred on my name. Going by the evaluation through different website, I feel 12.5L would be an appropriate price to quote, which will again be segregated into different components like (deposit, pending EMI for 1 year and final sale value).

Would it be a wise decision to close this deal or should I continue to search more?
My two cents would be search for more and get a lesser driven Hexa. You will find lesser mileage models in Pune and Mumbai. The current example you are looking is 70k, which for me personally is very high. I got a Sept 2017 model last year which was run only 21.5k kms and co-incidentally it was a MH14 registered vehicle.
BHPjunkie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:53   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
My two cents would be search for more and get a lesser driven Hexa. You will find lesser mileage models in Pune and Mumbai. The current example you are looking is 70k, which for me personally is very high. I got a Sept 2017 model last year which was run only 21.5k kms and co-incidentally it was a MH14 registered vehicle.
Thanks for the valuable suggestion, but I could hardly find XTA model which are less driven and priced sensibly.

Also, the car which I am looking forward to belong to a close friend, so there is no scope of fraudulent activity.
Jaeger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 21:57   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
My two cents would be search for more and get a lesser driven Hexa. .
My Storme has done 1.145 lakh so far on that same engine, and it's absolutely fine. (We have come across Stormes that have done upto 2.78L km too.) I dont see a problem with the 70k running, and also because @Jaeger knows the seller well.

(Note: Storme's are MT, while the Hexa in question is a XTA. A check at the local TASS will help both parties while they decide on the price).
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 01:18   #191
BHPian

I realized I didn't post the pics yet.

As soon I got the car, the next weekend I drove to Tirupati and back, from Hyderabad. Oh boy oh, what a stellar drive that was.

The first owner skipped the 2 year service in March, so last week I took to the TASS and got the general 2Yr service done which included oil change. The odo is now at 38,000.

Also got infotainment software updated to have Carplay support and BCM updated to auto close/open the rear view mirrors.

Here's my pre-worshipped March 2020 XTA.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-hexaday11.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-hexaday12.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-hexaday21.jpeg
jagan88 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 12:11   #192
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Team - In continuation with above search, I recently came across a pre-owned Aug 2019 Hexa XTA (Dual tone white and Black and with ICE Updates) directly through an owner. The car is in pristine condition and driven only 24K so far. The owner seems to be a very genuine guy and have a lot of affection toward his car which is evident looking at the car condition (except few scratches). He initially quoted 15L, against which I made a counter offer of 12.5L to which he has agreed for 13.5 so far. I can still negotiate further to bring it down to 12.8 or 13.

Also, verified the most recent service (Aug 2022) record, The bill was close to 1.15L. Upon enquiring the owner, he mentioned the Auto gear box selector assembly (alone costing around 85K) was changed through authorized Tata showroom due to a gear shift problem. he did mentioned, some pully problem could have been resolved through repair instead he chose to replace the entire gear box selector assembly to avoid hassles in future.

Would like to seek an advice from experts here, whether I should go ahead with finalizing the car or not? also, does any existing Hexa owner have encountered this issue with their Hexa? Would like to understand the potential consequences for this assembly change. The car does not have extended warranty and standard warranty have recently expired.
Jaeger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:49   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Upon enquiring the owner, he mentioned the Auto gear box selector assembly (alone costing around 85K) was changed through authorized Tata showroom due to a gear shift problem. he did mentioned, some pully problem could have been resolved through repair instead he chose to replace the entire gear box selector assembly to avoid hassles in future.

Would like to seek an advice from experts here, whether I should go ahead with finalizing the car or not? also, does any existing Hexa owner have encountered this issue with their Hexa? Would like to understand the potential consequences for this assembly change. The car does not have extended warranty and standard warranty have recently expired.
Hi Jaeger,

My Hexa XTA (2017 model) had the same problem. I have detailed (including part number and bill) this in the Spinny thread which you can look up. The cost you have mentioned is the same (85K) my car is in extended warranty and cost was borne by Tata. Post the change the car has run about 5-6K kms with the issue not recurring.

Hope this helps! All the best!!
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 20:48   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Hi Jaeger,

My Hexa XTA (2017 model) had the same problem. I have detailed (including part number and bill) this in the Spinny thread which you can look up. The cost you have mentioned is the same (85K) my car is in extended warranty and cost was borne by Tata. Post the change the car has run about 5-6K kms with the issue not recurring.

Hope this helps! All the best!!
Thanks anandtheleo, This will help to restore the confidence in purchase decesion .

Did you get to know the actual root cause of this failure from ASC ? I am yet to check with ASC wherein this work was done on the said car.
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:39   #195
BHPian

Voted NO.

The Hexa is a Wonderful car, but it was the first in the Tata's Transition to build a premium car. There were many issues reported and TASS wasn't competent enough to fix them, when the vehicle was in production.

I don't think the situation has improvised in the past couple of years, especially when the model itself was discontinued couple of years ago.

Considering the number of units of Hexa sold, Procuring spares is going to be very time intensive. Tata has moved to 2.0 MultiJet, so, procuring the common parts is not going to be easy unless you live and travel in a big city.

The last units of Hexa were sold at a very very steep discounts. If we factor in after discounted price and depreciation along with model's discontinuation, The selling price will always look expensive to me.

Would you prefer to go on a long tour with your family and kids in a vehicle, which doesn't get any support/spares easily? I wouldn't.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks