Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 10:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai: The brand with the most number of engines & gearboxes on sale in India

Thanks to BHPian Shreyans_Jain for this thread idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hyundai has the record for the most number of transmissions on offer. They have a 5-speed manual (Santro, i10, Nios, i20, Venue), a 6-speed manual (with all the turbo petrols and the diesels + Elantra), a 5-speed AMT (Santro), a 7-speed DCT (Venue, Creta, Verna), a 6-speed torque converter (Creta, Verna, Santa Fe, Tucson, Elantra) and a CVT (Creta, Verna). Add to it this new clutchless manual. This is quite a record, and must get difficult to manage with so many variants and combinations.
Related Thread: VW Polo, the car with the most engines in India!

Maruti offers petrols in just 4 sizes - 0.8L, 1.0L, 1.2L, 1.5L and 0 diesel engine options (although its 1.5L diesel is being readied for BS6). In terms of gearboxes, the Japanese carmaker offers a 5-speed manual, 5-speed AMT, a CVT and a 4-speed torque converter.

In comparison, Hyundai's list will boggle your mind. Dare we say, their engines & gearboxes (especially the automatics) are usually the best-in-segment too.

The Korean carmaker offers 10 engines in India:

• 1.1L petrol (Santro)
• 1.2L petrol (Grand i10, Nios, i20, Xcent, Aura, Venue)
• 1.2L diesel (Nios, Xcent, Aura)
• 1.5L petrol (Verna, Creta)
• 1.5L diesel (Verna, Venue, Creta, Elantra)
• 1.0L turbo petrol (Nios, Aura, Verna, Venue)
• 1.4L turbo petrol (Creta)
• 2.0L petrol (Elantra, Tucson)
• 2.0L diesel (Tucson)
• Electric motor (Kona)

Hyundai: The brand with the most number of engines & gearboxes on sale in India-hyundai-engine.jpg

Gearboxes?

• 5-speed MT (Santro, Grand i10, Nios, i20, Venue). And some of them different (e.g. Santro vs Venue's box)
• 6-speed MT (Verna, Venue, Creta, Elantra). And some of them different (e.g. Venue vs Elantra's gearbox)
• 5-speed AMT (Santro, Nios, Aura)
• 7-speed DCT (Verna, Venue, Creta)
• 6-speed torque converter (Verna, Creta, Elantra, Tucson)
• 8-speed torque converter (Tucson)
• CVT (Verna, Creta)
• Single speed transmission in the Kona Electric
• Upcoming IMT (related thread)

Hyundai: The brand with the most number of engines & gearboxes on sale in India-hyundai-gearbox.jpg

We are not considering brands like Mercedes which launch a CBU on every Monday at lunch time. This thread is only for mainstream cars.

Which other manufacturers offer lots of engines & gearboxes? Tata & Mahindra have quite a line up too, as does the VW group.
blackwasp is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai: The brand with the most number of engines & gearboxes on sale in India

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 10:56   #3
BHPian

Re: Hyundai: The brand with the most number of engines & gearboxes on sale in India

Thanks for this wonderful thread.
Wow, Hyundai has really put all what it can to stay on top (number 2). Right from the Santro's 1L to 1.1L Epsilon and then moving on to Kappa, Kappa2, etc.
All these in new products. Unlike VW, who have done all their variations on just Polo/Vento. Indian customers have rewarded Hyundai as well.

Further, with Hyundai/KIA DCT's being the talk of the town, I suppose they will be more reliable in coming days than VW or Jeep's DCT simply due to larger customer base.
abhi_tjet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 17:44   #4
BHPian

No wonders why Hyundai's product lineup is so rich. And why this is the only automaker which really competes with Maruti. And good observation too.

However, despite this long list of powertrains, 2 important cars from Hyundai stable never received the right engine options IMO -
1. i20 petrol - lower sitting Grand i10 gets same engine with same tune. Can't Hyundai plonk the 1.5 L petrol for a premium? I hope the new i20 gets 1.0 Turbo petrol.

2. Elantra Diesel - 1.5 for D segment sedan!! Instead of competing with VW stable with right ancillary, Hyundai took inapt inspirations from Civic and Corolla.

Last edited by Zinda : 16th July 2020 at 17:46.
Zinda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 18:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
No wonders why Hyundai's product lineup is so rich. And why this is the only automaker which really competes with Maruti. And good observation too.

However, despite this long list of powertrains, 2 important cars from Hyundai stable never received the right engine options IMO -
1. i20 petrol - lower sitting Grand i10 gets same engine with same tune. Can't Hyundai plonk the 1.5 L petrol for a premium? I hope the new i20 gets 1.0 Turbo petrol.

2. Elantra Diesel - 1.5 for D segment sedan!! Instead of competing with VW stable with right ancillary, Hyundai took inapt inspirations from Civic and Corolla.
The nios now gets a turbo option varient and next i20 may probably be just with the turbo engine only at a premium. The Nios and grand i10 will keep the NA engine for the lower price audience.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 18:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The nios now gets a turbo option varient and next i20 may probably be just with the turbo engine only at a premium. The Nios and grand i10 will keep the NA engine for the lower price audience.
That will be the right step. And finally i20 will get a powertrain which will justify both its capabilities and its price.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 22:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That will be the right step. And finally i20 will get a powertrain which will justify both its capabilities and its price.
The upcoming new India spec i20 will be on the K1 platform, which means it is basically a Santro underneath. Hyundai is using the K1 exactly like how Maruti uses the Heartech - everything under the sun built on a common base platform. In this case, we have Santro, Nios, Aura, i20, Venue and the upcoming Kia equivalents.

The strategy here is multiple engine and transmission options for the required differentiation, segmenting and marketing purpose, while keeping the underpinnings common. The bad thing about this from the customer’s perspective is that the difference between different cars is only skin deep. Your 10L i20 will have the same depth of engineering as a humble 5L Santro. Also, the K1 isn’t the last word in safety with the Santro managing only 2 stars and an ‘unstable’ rating for the chassis.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th July 2020 at 22:46.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 23:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Reflects on the global level too. A product onslaught with different engines and transmissions allows them to sell a particular model with a wide price band.

Hyundai went from being a joke in the US to actually making good cars while Suzuki has exited the American market for good. They still have a lot of catching up to do with Toyota in the first world markets.
Quote:
1. i20 petrol
I'd blame the Indian sub 4m car tax rules for that. Sure the next gen i20 will come with the 1.0 turbo petrol.

Most large hatchbacks have petrol engines between 1200-1300 cc abroad. (ex:Honda Jazz 1.3) These engines are modified for India's tax rules.
Quote:
2. Elantra Diesel - 1.5 for D segment sedan
Probably ROI in this case. I'd still buy a Corolla/Octavia for badge value.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 16th July 2020 at 23:55.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 10:56   #9
BHPian

I’m really impressed by my i20 Diesel. It’s the first Hyundai in my garage and apart from minor creaks in the dashboard trim, the car is bullet proof. The engine and gearbox are a dream and super refined. It’s probably just the sticker value that perhaps prevents people taking it up as an alternative to larger brands like Toyota and Honda.
BTW, the transmission in the new Harrier auto is from Hyundai and that is mighty impressive too.
I’d love to see the Elantra get the diesel from the new Tucson
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:26   #10
BHPian

I have to say that Hyundai has taken the Indian Automotive Sector to a whole new level. Hyundai not only has one of the best interior materials (maybe not as good as VW group) along with extensive equipment levels, it has also given the customers a wide variety of engines and gearbox options unlike other Manufactures who depends on only a few engines for their entire line up of Vehicles. Hyundai is also leaps and bounds ahead of the competition when it comes engine refinement, especially in case of Diesel Engines.
That being said, I personally feel hyundai might have taken a few wrong decisions with the Engine choices in certain cars. For e.g. I feel Hyundai should have put the 1.4L turbo-petrol engine in the Verna rather than 1.0L engine. Also Elantra should have been given 2.0L Diesel Engine from the Tucson rather than the puny 1.5L engine.
I hope Hyundai makes this changes in the future updates.
Sounak04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 16:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

I admire Hyundai for its agility to change. They bring their designs to market very fast, do not stick to a particular design language(recently seen in their grills). Take the example of their Verna, so different for each generations.

Same with their engines and transmissions, they do not wait, as soon as their engineers are ready they bring to market.

Same with their strategy with electric cars they are selling one of the most efficient electric cars. I believe if they concentrate more on reliability they would beat Toyota which looks very slow in decision making.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 16:44   #12
MUJ
BHPian

Hyundai are a brand which have given their Customers a lot of options to choose from. The usually have a variety of Engine+Gearbox combinations but they skip out on a top end Automatic variant in cars below 15L range. Their diesels are very refined and punchy motors.

Never the less, Hyundai had also given many more engines to the Indian Automotive sector in the past/present
1. 0.8L Petrol (Eon)
2. 2.2L Diesel (Santa Fe and Carnival)
3. 2.9L Diesel (Terracan)
4. 1.4L Diesel (Verna, Venue, i20, Creta)
5. 1.6L Diesel (Creta, Verna, Elantra)

Last edited by MUJ : 17th July 2020 at 17:05. Reason: Added information
Old 17th July 2020, 16:57   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUJ View Post
5. 1.6L Diesel (Creta)
You can add Verna and Elantra also to this list of cars that were equipped with the 1.6L CRDi U2 engines.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 21:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUJ View Post
Hyundai are a brand which have given their Customers a lot of options to choose from. The usually have a variety of Engine+Gearbox combinations but they skip out on a top end Automatic variant in cars below 15L range. Their diesels are very refined and punchy motors.

Never the less, Hyundai had also given many more engines to the Indian Automotive sector in the past/present
1. 0.8L Petrol (Eon)
2. 2.2L Diesel (Santa Fe and Carnival)
3. 2.9L Diesel (Terracan)
4. 1.4L Diesel (Verna, Venue, i20, Creta)
5. 1.6L Diesel (Creta, Verna, Elantra)

Also the 1.6L Petrol (Verna) and the 2.2L Diesel (Santa Fe)

Yes, I second to the opinion that Hyundai make butter smooth Diesel engines and with great gearshift feel.
the humble old Santro Xing gearshifter felt generations ahead of the same generation's WagonR in the way it felt while shifting gears.
Old 19th July 2020, 09:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

This large number of engine gearbox combination is instrumental to Hyundai's strategy. This is how they make the customers pay more for their cars in the same segment. Suzuki gives you a petrol-4 speed drive train and asks you to buy it or leave it. Hyundai comes in, gives the customers all these choices and charges a premium for it. Now that Kia is also implementing the same strategy, it does not take much thinking to assume that the cousins will keep taking away the market share from Suzuki. This strategy also ensures the homegrowns in 3rd and 4th position are obliterated as they simply don't have the technical ability to match anything close to such variety.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks