Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbo engine?
Hyundai Kappa 1.0 Turbo GDI 104 19.96%
Volkswagen / Skoda 1.0 TSI 330 63.34%
Maruti Suzuki 1.0 BoosterJet 16 3.07%
Ford 1.0 EcoBoost 64 12.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.34%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 18:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India

Last year, we had voted for our favourite 1.5L diesel engines, a size which has become quite the trend among oil-burners. Now, let's turn our attention to the small capacity, yet powerful and fun-to-drive turbocharged petrol engines that have been seen in Indian cars. Downsizing & ever tightening emission norms will only see this breed grow. We wish Honda had brought in their 1.0L turbo-petrol in the City (they sell it in Thailand).

Hyundai Kappa 1.0 Turbo GDI
Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India-hyundai.jpg

Hyundai jumped into the fray in '19 with this 998cc, 3-cylinder unit. Introduced in the Venue, it puts out 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm @ 1,500 - 4,000 rpm, and is coupled to a 6-speed MT or a dual-clutch AT. A less powerful version has been used to power the Aura & Grand i10 Nios. Hyundai's offering has the best refinement among the 1.0L turbo-petrols and it is quite an all-rounder. No wonder Hyundai is pushing it in all of its mass-market cars. Hyundai's Turbo GDI is not only practical, but it is also fun to drive!

Volkswagen / Skoda 1.0 TSI
Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India-dsc09497.jpg

The latest entrant into the club is Volkswagen's 999 cc, TSI engine that puts out 109 BHP @ 5,000 - 5,500 rpm and 175 Nm @ 1,750 - 4,000 rpm. This unit produces the most torque among all the contenders listed here and is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission (6-speed torque converter AT will be coming soon). It powers the Polo & Rapid today, and will be under the hood of a long list of VAG cars in the future. This engine is easily the most revv-happy & it does have a healthy top-end. Downside? The refinement levels at high rpm are poor. Knowing VW, we have our fingers crossed on its long-term reliability too.

Maruti-Suzuki 1.0 Boosterjet
Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India-suzuki.jpg

This motor was used to power the Baleno RS. In typical Maruti style, they gave it a funeral before it had a fair chance to live (same fiasco with the S-Cross' lovely 1.6L diesel). The Boosterjet was based on the familiar K10 unit. With 101 BHP @ 5,500 rpm and 150 Nm @ 1,700 - 4,500 rpm on tap, it is the least powerful of the engines listed here and the only one to be mated to a 5-speed manual. However, it had minimal turbo lag and an enjoyable mid-range. Disadvantages = not much of a top end, limited max revs and the price (1.5 lakhs over the 1.2L n/a petrol).

Ford 1.0L EcoBoost
Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India-ford.jpg

This engine was the torchbearer of small turbo-petrols & introduced us to this trend almost a decade ago! It was used by Ford to power the EcoSport and while it has been discontinued now, with 123 BHP on tap, it remains the most powerful 1.0L turbo-petrol to be sold in India. Ford itself made the EcoBoost irrelevant by introducing that awesome 1.5L naturally-aspirated Dragon engine in the EcoSport. The 1.0L EcoBoost was also laggy, unrefined and delivered sub-par fuel economy.

Related Thread: Small turbo vs big N/A engines
Aditya is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 18:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite 1.0L 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine in India

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

As far as tiny turbo-petrols go, Hyundai's Turbo GDI is a 10/10. It does everything well, and is lots of fun on the highway too. In comparison, I'll give VW-Skoda's TSI an 8.5 / 10 (1.5 points taken away for the lack of refinement & long clutch). Even when it comes to automatics, I'll say that Hyundai's DCT is light years ahead of VW-Skoda's antique torque converter. That said, I have still voted for the VW-Skoda engine . Reason? As Suhaas & Vid6639 said, it begs to be driven hard. I am a total engine guy and live to redline. While Hyundai's 1.0 delivers loads of driving pleasure, VAG's engine is next level.

Renault will soon be coming out with a turbo-petrol in the Triber. But knowing Renault's petrol engines and the lame 1.0 it will be based on, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2020 at 18:53.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 19:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Have driven the Ford ecoboost 1.0 when it was launched here in India and became a fan of the engine just because of the 123 bhp power it had. During that time it was unheard of an engine so puny making that much power on the tap. The EcoBoost also had the name because of the awards it got. But the engine lag was pronounced and probably that became its Achilles Heel !

But the engine which is real fun is the VW 1.0 and which makes the Polo TSI the most fun to drive car right now. It brings a smile every time I drive the Polo, you throw anything at it and it just comes up to your satisfaction. I just hope VW takes care of the refinement levels to make it little more fun.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 19:10   #4
BHPian

Voted for the Hyundai's 1.0L Turbo!

Like I have said in many of my earlier posts, this little gem from Hyundai is simply fab. Hyundai cars are generally lack the fun-to-drive factor; but even then, this engine simply sparks the enthusiasts in you when you floor the A-pedal in the Hyundai Venue. Couple that with a DCT, and you're set for a big smile on your face!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 21st July 2020 at 19:11.
ashvek3141 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 19:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Haven't driven the TSi yet so don't have enough info to compare/vote, but LOVED the T-GDI in the Aura. Hoot and a half, and then some!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st July 2020 at 19:19.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 19:20   #6
BHPian

Voted for Maruti Suzuki 1.0 BoosterJet!

I would prefer a naturally aspirated engine over a turbocharged one any day just for the comparatively instant response, ability to red-line higher and ease of maintenance (both cost and effort wise). But given the choice between the above, I would choose the imported Suzuki Boosterjet engine over others since I was mighty impressed when I test drove it after a K12 Baleno due to its daily drive-ability and there have been no reported reliability issues as such. It was a great balance between response and power. I wasn't that impressed with the Venue 1.0 in manual (maybe the engine was yet to open up). Personally, I will not prefer a TSI due to reports of carbon build-up in various forums. Of all petrol engines I have driven, the Japanese have impressed me the most in the lower cubic capacity range.

Last edited by Researcher : 21st July 2020 at 19:46.
Researcher is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 20:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

I'm really happy with this new range of 1.0 direct injection petrol options which is bringing us fast, affordable cars. Everyone except the Japanese companies seem to have embraced small powerful turbo petrols. Many complain about lag, but IMHO - that is a bit of a cliche for every single turbo engine out there. Saw the same comment on a Porsche 911 Turbo review today, and it hits 0-100 in 2.7 seconds! The smashing midrange of a turbo engine makes up for the slight delay - IMHO and I find it more useable and faster than a high revving NA engine for most driving conditions.

Yet to drive the VW 1.0 TSi petrol, but the lightweight Hyundai cars make good use of their small 1.0 TGDi. It is quite interesting that the ugly, family-oriented compact sedan from Hyundai smahes most established brands in terms of specs, even a segment above. And the same for some other contenders in this list as well. At least on paper! Who would have thought of below specs in NA engines of this small car range?

Power to weight -
Aura 1.0 TGDi - 110 bhp/ton
Baleno Boosterjet - 105 bhp/ton
Polo 1.0 TSi - 102 bhp/ton

Aura TGDi was a delight to drive, if the engine is the only main parameter considered (everything else revealed the family car roots though) - and a 120hp i20 with a slightly firmer suspension could just be a much better overall package as well. Hope Hyundai has that in mind.

Hence voting for the Hyundai only for the way engine makes you smile. BUT - As an overall package - The Volkswagen cars make a better case for themselves, especially the lower priced Rapids.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2020 at 20:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:03   #8
BHPian

Voted for the VW 1.0 TSI. The mid-top end of the rev band is really sweet. Not to forget the mod potential, a simple Stage 1 remap and you get 140 horses
Yakuza is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:45   #9
BHPian

Voted for VW 1.0 TSI.

Going through the thread, I am intrigued! Trying out Hyundai's turbo GDI as soon as the things get back to normal. Even without the TD, it has to be one of the best as it has the backing of three moderators (GTO, Chetan_Rao and CrAzY_dRiVeR).
What I can't wrap my head around is EcoBoost having the least votes! It was the first in it's segment and has been around for a decade, heck should have atleast been above MS BoosterJet.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 22:58   #10
GBX
BHPian

Ouch, Tata disqualified for being 200cc overweight!

I think credit should be given to Ford for getting into this 3cyl turbo game a lot earlier than everyone else. Although a prospective buyer today has better choices, perhaps even Ford's own 1.5(although not a turbo), I don't think we should discount the Ecoboost outright.

I drove the Ecosport EB just before I settled on the JTP and I was thoroughly impressed. I wasn't expecting that kind of refinement from a 3cyl, and the torque curve was very well spread out. The lag was not as bad as expected. It's par for course for a turbo, and most drivers will find the sweet spot in a few days.

And perhaps with the exception of VW, none of the other engines have the kind of pedigree that the Ecoboost has. The EB nameplate powers everything from Mustangs to GTs to the Bronco. Of course, the similarities may just be in name only.

Really miffed that Ford didn't give the EB one last hurrah by sticking it in the Figo, as they do abroad. It could have been the EB's swan song before it's replaced by less interesting counterparts(IMO).
GBX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 23:41   #11
BHPian

Voted for the T-GDI from Hyundai. Its with pleasure I say that I find these little turbo engines absolute fun to drive with their promising power output with most of them producing power and torque figures which were earlier produced only by 1.6L or above engines. I have owned the 1.0 Boosterjet and now own the 1.0 T-GDI and the midrange of the 1.0 TGDI is astonishing and coupled with DCT in manual mode, it’s absolute fun to drive on a Venue. I wish the Boosterjet had the full power output, so did the 1.0 TSI both of which produces more power figures outside India. I did not vote for the 1.0 TSI due to the long term reliability concerns and the poor refinement quotes in reviews coupled with the fact that I am yet to drive one, so the vote is purely based on my ownership experience of two engines from the list.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Hyundai’s 1.0 T-GDi.
I don’t mind the downsizing of engines as long as two issues are masked: low-end turbo lag and poor refinement. Based on reviews, Hyundai’s 1.0 T-GDi is the only small-capacity turbo engine yet that has addressed both of these issues at the same time. I feel that this engine will appeal to your average Joe more than any other. Hardcore enthusiasts would prefer VAG’s 1.0TSI but I’d only consider it if it was still available with that slick DSG. After owning the 1.0MPi engine, I know how unrefined VW’s 3-pot engines can be (although the 1.0TSI seems a tad better in this regard)

Overall, Hyundai’s 1.0T-GDi+DCT seems to be the best available combination in the market right now.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:37   #13
BHPian

I think it is too early to have this poll.

I haven't driven the Hyundai & VW engine and am basing the outcome on the reviews and my own liking of the 1.2 TSI.

Definitely was not impressed by Ecoboost. I was soo disappointed by the boosterjet that I asked why is it there in this poll

And I agree that the Tata JTP engine should have been there in the poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

(1.5 points taken away for the lack of refinement & long clutch).
Its unfair to bias the engine on the clutch. Then you should have a powertrain poll.
Else you should add better driving dynamics of the SAVWPL kids over the Hyundai's.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2020 at 09:53. Reason: Merging back to back posts
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I think it is too early to have this poll.
I in fact have not driven any of these. So won't be voting at all. But then I think there will still be quite a few people who have tried at least 2-3 from the list, which tends to be enough for our folks to form an opinion. (Me included!)
By gut feeling, I'm inclined to like the 1.0 TSI from VAG. When it comes to turbo charging engines - not too many manage it better than the Europeans. The Hyundai might be setting the charts on fire but then I feel their lighter cars also mask some possible shortcomings of the engines. To pull a heavy German tank, the engine must be capable, which the 1.0 TSI sure seems to be considering its pulling the Polos and the Rapids easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
And I agree that the Tata JTP engine should have been there in the poll
Well the poll is specifically for 1.0L ultra compact turbo charged engines, so that's probably why the 1.2L I3 Turbo Revotron didn't make the cut. Anyway, its not much of a "JTP" engine, its simply the turbo charged engine from the Nexon with a slightly different tuning (to control the torque for 5 speed gearbox).

The 1.2 T Revotron is also a bit old school. Simple NA engine with a turbo charger thrown in. In comparison, these new 1.0L engines are not just an NA engine with a turbo bolt-on. They are also starting to incorporate TGDi (names vary) - Turbo + Gasoline Direct Injection. So technically they are a wee bit more evolved than the Tata engine too. (How much of a difference it actually makes in the long run, is yet to be fully experienced due to the young age of the engines.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd July 2020 at 09:57.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:10   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, I have still voted for the VW-Skoda engine
I was on complete disagreement with your post, and then this came!

After having driven the Hyundai 1.0, Ford 1.0 and VW 1.0 (Maruti 1.0 is dead) here are my observations:

Hyundai 1.0:
  • Hyundai == Refinement!
  • They have tried to make the power delivery more linear
  • Just acceptable low end
  • It revs, but not like the creamy VAG

Ford 1.0:
  • Right engine in wrong car
  • It has got everything right, other than the weight it carries
  • Hence, neither it delivers performance like it should, nor does the FE!

VW 1.0:
  • No doubt, VW is indeed the pioneer when it comes to small (1.0 to 2.0) turbo petrol engines
  • Don't go by what's on the paper, look how that translates on the road
  • Throaty and slightly louder than others - exactly the way I like them
  • Power starts coming from 1300-1400 rpm itself, things go slightly mad around 2000 and then carries on the same way till redline
  • You would indeed like to rev this engine, and then do even more

That said, none of the above three is an exceptional performer though. It's just that, VW is just around 85% as powerful as other 2, but performs 115% of them. So, the vote goes to the 1.0 TSi, additionally, since my 1.8 TSi ownership; I love everything about their TSi engines!
VKumar is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks